GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Apr 2019, 15:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Bullet or Paragraph Resumes?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.66
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Reviews Badge
Bullet or Paragraph Resumes?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 20:45
The preponderance of advice online, both for MBA application resumes and employment resumes, is that bullet points are preferable. They constrain the writer to succinctly summarize achievements into single lines and offer a frame of reference for resume readers and interviewers (your third bullet point here, for example).

However, I have noticed that many MBA candidates use paragraph formats on their LinkedIn pages. These are not paragraphs in the normal sense but essentially sentences that could be bullet points arranged into a thematic paragraph. I feel that the linkages between these points align better when arranged in a cohesive paragraph as opposed to individual bullets, but I am concerned that this format is non-traditional and may look like the dreaded 'block of text' which discourages readers. I have noticed the same format in sample resumes on non-MBA school webpages (for example, Harvard Law).

What are people's thoughts on this?

Thanks.
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
S
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton
Re: Bullet or Paragraph Resumes?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 11:29
Hi there,

In my view, bullets are better - since Admissions Committees are spending limited time reviewing applications, it's best to include white space and make the resume as easy as possible to read. Hope this helps!

Best,
Shaifali

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Bullet or Paragraph Resumes?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 03:32
I would go for bullet resume. It is easier to read to comprehend for adcom. It is not easy task, though. You will take time to construct it, add or delete something and rewrite them many times. Many schools provide samples for resumes in their websites.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Bullet or Paragraph Resumes?   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2017, 03:32

Bullet or Paragraph Resumes?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap