GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 07:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Prepare a Concrete Application Plan!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

30-minutes personal consultation for application planning.
  • MBA Admissions Consulting: Five-Day Special for Hourly Services

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

09:00 PM PST

10:00 PM PST

There’s still time to enhance your resume, essays, and applications! Avanti Prep is offering Hourly Services for a flat rate of $175 per hour (no minimum) – a significantly below-market offer for one of the most well-regarded services available.

Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Queens'17 (M)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2015, 12:55
saksha302 wrote:
myleo wrote:
saksha302 wrote:
Hi guys,

I got interviewed today and also got the result that I am waitlisted for the program.
Anything that I could do further

Regards

things like retaking the gmat and scoring higher have helped. also being in communication with the adcom members has helped. honestly if you are waitlisted you have a more than 50% chance of getting in but understand that regardless of what you do no scholarship money! best of luck...

Hey Leo,

Thanks for the input.
Just a few followup questions on the 50% statistic that you have stated above.
Is this number very specefic to Rotman?
Is it still true for an applicant who has been waitlisted in Round 2?
Any idea on roughly how many ppl get waitlisted and finally accepted in Rotman?

Thanks in advance

well i know that rotman interviews 70% of its candidate pool for a fact. rotman is also increasing its class to 400-420 students this yr. total no of applications rotman receives roughly 1000-1200 applications though this yr the no might change and it might be more..due to limited availability of no-cosginer loans intl students who have been admitted will choose a us school and most of the ppl have applied to the likes of tuck and duke along with rotman...add all that up and you could say you have a decent chance...rotmans yield isnt great (meaning ppl who get in chose other schools) due to limited scholarship funds and the loan info i gave you...without schol asking students to finance 100k from emerging countries is impossible for most and that assumes prodigy gives you 40k...again these nos are rough data which i have got from reading countless interviews the adcom members have given...

well if you have an IT background and you fall in the indian applicant pool then its a bit of touch and go...normally what i have seen is most ppl who get interviewed get an offer...in your case as i have said before if you have an IT INDIAN background apply in round 1 always...unfortunately the adcom want diversity and having 100 odd indian students with the same background aint good...

best of luck...as i have said you have a good chance of getting in...issues you will face no scholarship and by the time you get an admit which will be sometime in april or later prodigy funds may have dried up...can you finance 140k? think about it ...if you have an existing offer from a top 20 school in us take it...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2015, 13:08
myleo wrote:
saksha302 wrote:
myleo wrote:

things like retaking the gmat and scoring higher have helped. also being in communication with the adcom members has helped. honestly if you are waitlisted you have a more than 50% chance of getting in but understand that regardless of what you do no scholarship money! best of luck...

Hey Leo,

Thanks for the input.

Thanks in advance

well i know that rotman interviews 70% of its candidate pool for a fact. rotman is also increasing its class to 400-420 students this yr. total no of applications rotman receives roughly 1000-1200 applications though this yr the no might change and it might be more..due to limited availability of no-cosginer loans intl students who have been admitted will choose a us school and most of the ppl have applied to the likes of tuck and duke along with rotman...add all that up and you could say you have a decent chance...rotmans yield isnt great (meaning ppl who get in chose other schools) due to limited scholarship funds and the loan info i gave you...without schol asking students to finance 100k from emerging countries is impossible for most and that assumes prodigy gives you 40k...again these nos are rough data which i have got from reading countless interviews the adcom members have given...

well if you have an IT background and you fall in the indian applicant pool then its a bit of touch and go...normally what i have seen is most ppl who get interviewed get an offer...in your case as i have said before if you have an IT INDIAN background apply in round 1 always...unfortunately the adcom want diversity and having 100 odd indian students with the same background aint good...

best of luck...as i have said you have a good chance of getting in...issues you will face no scholarship and by the time you get an admit which will be sometime in april or later prodigy funds may have dried up...can you finance 140k? think about it ...if you have an existing offer from a top 20 school in us take it...

Ah!! the brutual picture and you have justifyed it with figures.
Unfortunately I do belong to that common brand of IT Indian.
Don't have any offers yet and probably not hopeful of any either.
World Definitely Looks Grim Currently... :(
Anyways thanx again for all the Input

Regards
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge
Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2015, 13:17
Hey Leo,

Thanks for the input.

Thanks in advance[/quote]

best of luck...as i have said you have a good chance of getting in...issues you will face no scholarship and by the time you get an admit which will be sometime in april or later prodigy funds may have dried up...can you finance 140k? think about it ...if you have an existing offer from a top 20 school in us take it...[/quote]

Ah!! the brutual picture and you have justifyed it with figures.
Unfortunately I do belong to that common brand of IT Indian.
Don't have any offers yet and probably not hopeful of any either.
World Definitely Looks Grim Currently... :(
Anyways thanx again for all the Input

Regards[/quote]

if you dont end up getting an admit apply to schools in round 1 or Early application round next yr...if you can improve yr gmat to 750+ your chances at booth tuck duke increase a lot...also tuck and duke really love it if you go to the schools there and interview before your application..thats called a self-initiated interview...look at things like tuck connections and other schools have similar programs to get in touch with students and really understand the school...small things like knowing the name of a local bar where students hang out have been really known to help..
with yr current scores which are very good you wont stand out...had you been for a different field i would tell you forget the gmat...also look at mba consulting services if you have difficulties in expressing yourself within 300 words...look at tier 2 schools such as UNC, Darden, cornell,etc as well...HBS, stanford ,wharton and MIT will be out of reach with yr background unless you have really hit it out of the part by developing new tech or something of that sort!

one last thing look at UBS sauder ,mcgill and haskayne...cheaper and pretty good ! if your goal is core finance then dont bother but if your goal is tech consulting i would look at them and i am pretty sure you would be admitted to all of them...
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2015, 20:48
Post the interview, what is a reasonable timeline to wait to hear from the adcom before you assume the worst- 1 week or 2 weeks?
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2015, 23:30
Turnthepage wrote:
Post the interview, what is a reasonable timeline to wait to hear from the adcom before you assume the worst- 1 week or 2 weeks?

27th is the deadline and thats what I have been told !

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q164 V162
GPA: 3.13
Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2015, 05:56
Received interview invite yesterday evening. Indian temporarily residing in the United States. Interested in investment management in the not-for-profit sector.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.46

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2015, 05:59
Received Interview last night.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2015, 14:48
Admitted with scholarship. Indian working in US
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Rotman '17 (A)
WE: Account Management (Advertising and PR)

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2015, 20:57
Hey Guys,

Received an admit with an entrance scholarship. Applied on the 11th of Jan.......got the admit on the 13/2.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2015, 22:29
Hi Guys,

I submitted my application on 11 January 2015. Just received a mail from Rotman a couple of days ago saying that my application was complete and under review. Haven't yet received the interview call. I'm a CA from India and really starting to worry about my chances at Rotman. Can anyone tell me if they received a similar mail and how long after this did they get an interview call?
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 13:19
VarunSSeth wrote:
Hi Guys,

I submitted my application on 11 January 2015. Just received a mail from Rotman a couple of days ago saying that my application was complete and under review. Haven't yet received the interview call. I'm a CA from India and really starting to worry about my chances at Rotman. Can anyone tell me if they received a similar mail and how long after this did they get an interview call?

Well it just means not all documentation was received by jan and that could mean your transcripts or recommendation letters which they might have just gotten now! So just wait ..admissions is on a rolling basis and 27th is the deadline !
Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 18:52
I got waitlisted without an interview. :( i have asked the ad com guys whether i can submit additional recos , scores and essays but they havent replied . I have mailed them thrice already . I also tried calling them on the phone but the call redirects to voice mail . Is there any other way i can contact them ? I am not sure what my chances are now-
Manager
Manager
GRE 1: Q162 V164

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 21:04
pradeepram wrote:
I got waitlisted without an interview. :( i have asked the ad com guys whether i can submit additional recos , scores and essays but they havent replied . I have mailed them thrice already . I also tried calling them on the phone but the call redirects to voice mail . Is there any other way i can contact them ? I am not sure what my chances are now-

Pretty sure you have just guaranteed your rejection.
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 23:15
pradeepram wrote:

Wait listed without an interview is different than wait listed with one. It's very difficult as I have said repeatedly to get into top schools in round 2 with an Indian It background. Also you shouldn't make things worse by seeming desperate. At this stage there are lots who have been interviewed and put on waitlist and they do have a legitimate chance but it's not going to be easy for you. I would say prepare for the worst hope for the best.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2015, 02:47
hi,
I do not agree with the above advice. I also am from Indian IT background and waitlisted. I contacted their director of admission and got a reply within a few days. I don't think TOP MBA schools will reject you just because you contacted them on regular basis. This is a wrong notion that goes around. I do not recommend that you abuse them as to why they are not replying but if you word your email correctly I think it will portray a picture of a person who is really interested in their MBA program. Isn't it something that every business school is looking for?
To answer your query, You can do nothing right now, they will review waitlist candidates after R3, I guess that is April.
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2015, 03:13
Jadewoodstock wrote:
hi,
I do not agree with the above advice. I also am from Indian IT background and waitlisted. I contacted their director of admission and got a reply within a few days. I don't think TOP MBA schools will reject you just because you contacted them on regular basis. This is a wrong notion that goes around. I do not recommend that you abuse them as to why they are not replying but if you word your email correctly I think it will portray a picture of a person who is really interested in their MBA program. Isn't it something that every business school is looking for?
To answer your query, You can do nothing right now, they will review waitlist candidates after R3, I guess that is April.

nope they wont reject you coz you tried to contact them but calling them once and sending numerous email and leaving a lot of voicemail is different.
As far the indian IT background goes the point i was trying to make and have heard this from a lot of people and even if you go through the interviews rotman adcom has given is that having a non traditional background helps. then the adcom member further said from india candidates who have a non IT background have an edge. Also she said if you have a common IT profile its better to apply earlier since you dont really have a lot to differentiate from other candidates.
honestly the fact is simple if you have worked in the non profit sector,entertainment industry,management consulting, etc and have a gmat of 650 versus someone who has worked in IT at infosys with a gmat of 710 adcom will prefer the former given all other things are at parity. Ppl go to intl schools to have a rounded experience and if 40% of the class is from the Indian IT industry it doesnt do much for diversity. my friend is a second yr student at fuqua and she interviews candidates coz thats how it works at duke and she said indian IT applicants have difficulty getting in even with scores of 730-740 and have virtually no chance at scholarship. With an IT background you need to hit it out the park or apply early.
Manager
Manager
GRE 1: Q162 V164

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2015, 07:53
Jadewoodstock wrote:
hi,

Yeah, but you didn't email them three times, and call them. If you're on the fringe, they will reject you because of this. There's an important distinction between being interested, and accepted social etiquette.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2015, 09:49
Got an interview call today!!! Anyone interview by Dimitra Tsalpouris? Please share your experience. Would really appreciate your inputs.

Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2015, 10:39
VarunSSeth wrote:
Got an interview call today!!! Anyone interview by Dimitra Tsalpouris? Please share your experience. Would really appreciate your inputs.

It really doesn't matter who interviews you . The common questions are why Rotman and have a good answer for this? Depending on your post graduation plans you may be asked how you plan to achieve it? Your strength ? Name one time you led a team ? One setback you had ? ..and multiple follow ups! I would strongly advise don't prepare for individual questions but prepare 2-3 stories from your life where you can adress all behavioral questions ! Know your resume in and out and don't lie at any cost .best of luck
Manager
Manager
Schools: Rotman '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.89

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2015, 19:38
Hello, just randomly popping in.

Dimitra is a very cool person. I still stop by and chat with her sometimes, along with Afro and Sheldon. I'm going to echo what myleo said, I recommend not having canned answers ready in anticipation of what you think they'll ask. It would be better to have three to five really great stories that you know inside out and can tailor to questions that she'll ask.

Also, for those worrying about the deadline, last year there was a larger volume that they expected and they did not get through everyone by that date (they would typically let you know though). So don't worry! Worrying too much is just a waste of energy you could be using to prepare for your interviews. You haven't been dinged until you get that email!

Lastly, for those interested in coming to Rotman, and if you can physically come to Toronto in March, I really recommend doing the Rotman Problem Solving Challenge. Not only do you meet great people (future Rotman classmates or even candidates who choose to go to other schools), you get a glimpse of what it's going to be like at Rotman. Last year, the RPSC event was you had to come up with a new venture in under five hours with three other people you've never met before. Super fun!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017 &nbs [#permalink] 18 Feb 2015, 19:38

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  19    Next  [ 363 posts ] 

Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap