GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 09:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018

  post reply Update application status  
Author Message
BSchool Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2014
Posts: 286
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 08:12
gloube wrote:
I just got dinged (applied January 5th, Regular Decision) from Columbia without interview.

It's surprising to me because I've been invited to interview to HBS and Booth (international applicant, 760 GMAT, private equity). What are your thoughts? Got lucky at HBS/Booth or got unlucky at Columbia? Is it linked to the rolling admission system at all (bad odds when applying so late)?


Without knowing more, I'd guess that private equity might have hurt. Columbia must get some of the most competitive finance (especially PE!) applicants outside of Wharton. There were probably few PE slots open at this point.

But there's also some amount of luck in the process.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2015
Posts: 81
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 08:42
jz4analytics wrote:
gloube wrote:
I just got dinged (applied January 5th, Regular Decision) from Columbia without interview.

It's surprising to me because I've been invited to interview to HBS and Booth (international applicant, 760 GMAT, private equity). What are your thoughts? Got lucky at HBS/Booth or got unlucky at Columbia? Is it linked to the rolling admission system at all (bad odds when applying so late)?


Without knowing more, I'd guess that private equity might have hurt. Columbia must get some of the most competitive finance (especially PE!) applicants outside of Wharton. There were probably few PE slots open at this point.

But there's also some amount of luck in the process.

I now believe luck plays huge in this process. I've sen some "perfect" applicants get denied, while other, like myself get invited for interviews.
Don't beat yourself up over this. The process is a true mystery only schools know how they make work
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2014
Posts: 58
Location: Mexico
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 08:53
Applied: 01/06
Ding without Interview: 02/04

Good luck to the rest of you guys.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2015
Posts: 17
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 08:56
Applied: 01/06
Dinged w/o interview: 02/04

Ah well, was always a long shot being a college senior. All the best to everyone. Might reconsider applying 5 years down the line :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2013
Posts: 46
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.83
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 09:00
pdhoshing wrote:
Applied: 01/06
Dinged w/o interview: 02/04

Ah well, was always a long shot being a college senior. All the best to everyone. Might reconsider applying 5 years down the line :)


Did you look in to HBS 2+2?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2015
Posts: 17
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 09:30
bimaldshah wrote:
pdhoshing wrote:
Applied: 01/06
Dinged w/o interview: 02/04

Ah well, was always a long shot being a college senior. All the best to everyone. Might reconsider applying 5 years down the line :)


Did you look in to HBS 2+2?


Yes, I did. I was interested in a more entertainment business specific programme and hence chose CBS, Stern and Anderson, which are all long shots tbh. MiM is where I have a much better chance.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2013
Posts: 46
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.83
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 09:36
pdhoshing wrote:
bimaldshah wrote:
pdhoshing wrote:
Applied: 01/06
Dinged w/o interview: 02/04

Ah well, was always a long shot being a college senior. All the best to everyone. Might reconsider applying 5 years down the line :)


Did you look in to HBS 2+2?


Yes, I did. I was interested in a more entertainment business specific programme and hence chose CBS, Stern and Anderson, which are all long shots tbh. MiM is where I have a much better chance.


Makes sense. Atleast you have started thinking about MBA and taking steps towards it really early (mistake I made by thinking too muhc and not executing enough until I was 30+). You will have a really good shot at CBS in 2-3 years if you really want it. In the mean time, solidify your profile as someone they cant ignore the next time you apply. Wish you all the best!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2015
Posts: 17
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 09:40
bimaldshah wrote:

Makes sense. Atleast you have started thinking about MBA and taking steps towards it really early (mistake I made by thinking too muhc and not executing enough until I was 30+). You will have a really good shot at CBS in 2-3 years if you really want it. In the mean time, solidify your profile as someone they cant ignore the next time you apply. Wish you all the best!


Yeah it has been a fantastic learning experience just applying for them. Thanks for the advice and all the best to you too! :)
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2016
Posts: 9
GRE 1: Q163 V170
GPA: 3.01
WE: Science (Health Care)
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 10:38
patodrums89 wrote:
Applied: 01/06
Ding without Interview: 02/04

Good luck to the rest of you guys.


Thank you for the update. I also applied on 01/06. Checking emails every 10 min now.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2016
Posts: 9
GRE 1: Q163 V170
GPA: 3.01
WE: Science (Health Care)
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 10:38
patodrums89 wrote:
Applied: 01/06
Ding without Interview: 02/04

Good luck to the rest of you guys.


Thank you for the update. I also applied on 01/06. Checking emails every 10 min now.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 37
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 10:57
ha, I am in the same situation. Checking my phone and emails every half an hour or so to see if I have any messages from CBS.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2016
Posts: 112
Concentration: Real Estate
WE: Analyst (Other)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 11:13
its been so hard to concentrate at work the last few days with all of these invites coming out
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Feb 2016
Posts: 8
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 12:15
Rejected without interview yesterday (2/4). Applied on the early Jan. deadline.

Stats: white male, 700 / 3.6 econ major from a good school, 7.5 years experience in economic and management consulting.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2015
Posts: 81
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 12:39
I'm still trying to recover from getting Dinged yesterday by Harvard, now you guys are telling me Columbia is after me once again ... another bad day :-(
BSchool Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2014
Posts: 286
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2016, 06:54
I've noticed a TON of CBS dings on Clear Admit over the past few days. Any good for people, or have the rejections been coming first?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2015
Posts: 90
Location: India
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2016, 07:13
Hope ur analysis is correct.. Fingers crossed

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2013
Posts: 19
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2016, 07:53
Has anyone received any merit scholarships, other than at acceptance?

The website indicates that merit based awards will start rolling out on Feb - have they already begun awarding these?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 37
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2016, 09:02
Something pretty funny just happened...
My interview report was submitted on Jan 30th, and I was anxiously waiting to hear back from Columbia.
And I got a call today about 9:30 NY time. The number started as 212. I was so excited.... I picked up the phone said 'what a great day'. ...man...
The lady replied "oh I think I got the wrong number" and hung up.

What's more incredible: I checked the number, and it belongs to an associate general counsel at Columbia University.

Anyway, for those who are still waiting for that call/email, hang in there and good luck, guys!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2015
Posts: 41
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.37
Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Feb 2016, 09:56
HurricaneWillie wrote:
Something pretty funny just happened...
My interview report was submitted on Jan 30th, and I was anxiously waiting to hear back from Columbia.
And I got a call today about 9:30 NY time. The number started as 212. I was so excited.... I picked up the phone said 'what a great day'. ...man...
The lady replied "oh I think I got the wrong number" and hung up.

What's more incredible: I checked the number, and it belongs to an associate general counsel at Columbia University.

Anyway, for those who are still waiting for that call/email, hang in there and good luck, guys!


Wow, that's crazy! I'm going through the same thing. My interview report was also submitted Jan. 30 and this morning at 9:42, I got a call from unlisted number. It turned out my subscription to something had expired and they were asking me if I wanted to renew. It took me awhile to register that it wasn't the CBS admissions office because my hopes had gotten so high, LOL!

Originally posted by munkee2018 on 05 Feb 2016, 09:09.
Last edited by munkee2018 on 05 Feb 2016, 09:56, edited 2 times in total.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 37
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2016, 09:20
munkee2018 wrote:
HurricaneWillie wrote:
Something pretty funny just happened...
My interview report was submitted on Jan 30th, and I was anxiously waiting to hear back from Columbia.
And I got a call today about 9:30 NY time. The number started as 212. I was so excited.... I picked up the phone said 'what a great day'. ...man...
The lady replied "oh I think I got the wrong number" and hung up.

What's more incredible: I checked the number, and it belongs to an associate general counsel at Columbia University.

Anyway, for those who are still waiting for that call/email, hang in there and good luck, guys!


Wow, that's crazy! I'm going through the same thing. My interview report was also submitted Jan. 30 and this morning at 9:42, I got a call from unlisted number. It turned out my subscription to something had expired and they were asking me if I wanted to renew. It took me awhile to register that it wasn't the CBS admissions office because my hopes had gotten so high, LOL!


haha, I totally feel you. Well, good things take time... The latest we will know the results is by next Friday. Fingers crossed.
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018 &nbs [#permalink] 05 Feb 2016, 09:20

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76  ...  78    Next  [ 1549 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018

  post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.