It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 10:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Schools: Tuck '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.85
Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 01:22
bb10 wrote:
Idle minds..

Yup , that a was a little passive aggressive may be. But not unwarranted.

My perspectives originate from an understanding of the limitations an Adcom faces when they are pushed to show that the incoming class is that much better than the previous class. I read varied literature (from 2008-2009) that implored B Schools to induce humanity into their analysis driven curriculum. The B school courses that have since evolved reflect these recommendations. The B School rankings however (from the same publisher that advocated humanity), largely use for statistics like the GMAT and GPA, salary etc. There is no quantitative measure of how much better a leader the School has produced. That subjective measure for better leadership is something rankings cannot incorporate.

Considering this reality, the Adcom is forced to treat everyone like a portfolio of assets and hence the great race. For they have to show a better class than last year in almost every aspect. How unlike the GMAT, such a process is, that takes in the conclusion and then fits in facts.

I will write my essays elsewhere now. :)

Last edited by bs7391 on 08 Oct 2017, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 17085 [0], given: 1963

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 01:24
bs7391 wrote:
bb10 wrote:
Idle minds..

My perspectives originate from an understanding of the limitations an Adcom faces when they are pushed to show that the incoming class is that much better than the previous class. I read varied literature (from 2008-2009) that implored B Schools to induce humanity into their analysis driven curriculum. The B school courses that have since evolved reflect these recommendations. The B School rankings however (from the same publisher that advocated humanity), largely use for statistics like the GMAT and GPA, salary etc. There is no quantitative measure of how much better a leader the School has produced. That subjective measure for better leadership is something rankings cannot incorporate.

Considering this reality, the Adcom is forced to treat everyone like a portfolio of assets and hence the great race. For they have to show a better class than last year in almost every aspect. How unlike the GMAT, that takes in the conclusion and then fits in facts.

I honestly think there’s a LOT of truth in what you hypothesised. Especially if you look at basic GMATClub numbers from last year from the top 10-15 schools it’ll be hard to find any Indian who’s not in the 740+ bucket. So unfortunately for me, I’ll have to agree with you.

Also, feel free to post more!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 01:34
bs7391 wrote:
I may be wrong with what I am writing below. But I have some faith in my hypothesis.

Within the Indian Admissions Bucket, Kellogg has an immediate idea of who they want and who they don't. This is even before they read your essays. They also know what kind of applicant is treating them as a safe school and won't join.

As an Indian, you are to have atleast 5-6 points above their average GMAT or 10 above their median. As an Indian male you better turn up with a 760, 770 or 780 to be absolutely safe. I have a 750, I received a response- "Oh, that's just 10 below the 99%ile" . The person responding was relevant enough to give me a chill and even reconsider rewriting the GMAT. Kellogg wants to outdo everyone in GMAT scores. Everyone else wants to outdo everyone else on GMAT Scores. We have not reached the peak or bottom of the GMAT war.

Second, If you are IIT+ McK + Blackstone or IIT+4 yrs WE anywhere then they know you have applied to HBS and W, if not Stanford also. You are still going to get in. But depending on the number of these applicants, and the eventual yield, Kellogg will decide its Waitlists, and number of other graduates from non IITs, or elsewhere, with high GMATs, that it has to now pretend to like. The kind of applicant they can place at Deloitte or PWC Strategy& without much hassle.

Your essays are secondary, they will barely care if you don't put up the stats. Adcom has a very straight forward line- "If this application had a higher GMAT then it would have garnered much more interest" . I have heard this one and I have not forgotten it.

You are right on several points. I have a 760 and I was asked to 'try and get a 780' by one of the famous (and pricey) consultants. I said I'd be solving a wrong problem. I was not planning to re-take GMAT as I'm happy with the score. And I said as much. He told me in a rather roundabout way that he it'd be difficult for me to get a call at this score at the schools I was targetting. I did question his approach inside my head. But boy was he right!

Still not going to re-take the gmat.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 01:35
bb10 wrote:
Idle minds..

That too! :D

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 01:35

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 01:45
rrsd wrote:
I have a 760 and I was asked to 'try and get a 780' by one of the famous (and pricey) consultants. I said I'd be solving a wrong problem. I was not planning to re-take GMAT as I'm happy with the score. And I said as much. He told me in a rather roundabout way that he it'd be difficult for me to get a call at this score at the schools I was targetting. I did question his approach inside my head. But boy was he right!

780 makes you irresistible. But look at it on actual terms. Its 3 correct questions away from a 760. Mostly dependent on where you got what question wrong. You are better off going to a school that is grateful for that score and you are still going to make it to the McK shortlist on paper. Meaning they won't discard you because of your GMAT.

But that's not how we think, do we. We want Kellogg and in that want, lies their advantage to demand 20 points more.

I personally cannot believe that Ross, Darden, and Columbia rejected you with a 760. Unless you had applied with the 700.

Last edited by bs7391 on 08 Oct 2017, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 01:45
souvik101990 wrote:
bs7391 wrote:
bb10 wrote:
Idle minds..

Considering this reality, the Adcom is forced to treat everyone like a portfolio of assets and hence the great race. For they have to show a better class than last year in almost every aspect. How unlike the GMAT, that takes in the conclusion and then fits in facts.

I honestly think there’s a LOT of truth in what you hypothesised. Especially if you look at basic GMATClub numbers from last year from the top 10-15 schools it’ll be hard to find any Indian who’s not in the 740+ bucket. So unfortunately for me, I’ll have to agree with you.

Also, feel free to post more!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Again, this is not directly related to Kellogg. The admission director of Kelley during the MBA tour said this - "Guys, I have a bad news for you. Anything less than 740 and you're in trouble."

Now if 740- is trouble for Kelley then I guess we can imagine what scores other schools would prefer.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 01:47
souvik101990 wrote:
760 to 780 does seem like an unnecessary ordeal that I’d never put myself through unless I was trying to be a GMAT tutor.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Exactly! Thank you for understanding..

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 01:47

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 01:59
bs7391 wrote:
rrsd wrote:
I have a 760 and I was asked to 'try and get a 780' by one of the famous (and pricey) consultants. I said I'd be solving a wrong problem. I was not planning to re-take GMAT as I'm happy with the score. And I said as much. He told me in a rather roundabout way that he it'd be difficult for me to get a call at this score at the schools I was targetting. I did question his approach inside my head. But boy was he right!

780 makes you irresistible. But look at it on actual terms. Its 3 correct questions away from a 760. Mostly dependent on where you got what question wrong. You are better off going to a school that is grateful for that score and you are still going to make it to the McK shortlist on paper. Meaning they won't discard you because of your GMAT.

But that's not how we think, do we. We want Kellogg and in that want, lies their advantage to demand 20 points more.

I personally cannot believe that Ross, Darden, and Columbia rejected you with a 760. Unless you had applied with the 700.

I didn't even get an interview call from these schools and it was with a 760. But for me there are some other factors involved. Mine is a special case.. :|

And it's not just 3 more right questions. It's getting all the questions right again that you got right earlier AND then 3 more. It's possible as I said, but it is also focusing on solving the wrong problem.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 02:00
bs7391 wrote:
rrsd wrote:

Removed. Duplicate post.

Last edited by rrsd on 08 Oct 2017, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 02:02
I agree it’s the wrong problem. I hope we hear from some Indians soon from Kellogg. Hoping for some good news guys. Meanwhile I am creating a thread for Indian applicants for this season so as to not crowd other forums.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 117

GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE: Design (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 02:03
Damn man! Now even I am feeling under confident :(

I was so sure with a 770. Now I regret that sole question I got wrong on Quants and the 3 questions that I got wrong in Verbal. Wish I had got all of them correct. But, I am a human, right? I am no Bot! Shouldn't Adcoms be thinking this?

I think this waiting game is getting on the nerves and hence the pessimism. Buckle up guys! We shall all get invites. Keeping the fingers crossed. Best of luck.

BTW if you have noticed the trend, interview invites are being sent location wise. Maybe India is Up Next.

12345aBcDeFgHiJkLmNoPqRsTuVwXyZ67890

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 02:06
DigitsnLetters wrote:
Damn man! Now even I am feeling under confident :(

I was so sure with a 770. Now I regret that sole question I got wrong on Quants and the 3 questions that I got wrong in Verbal. Wish I had got all of them correct. But, I am a human, right? I am no Bot! Shouldn't Adcoms be thinking this?

I think this waiting game is getting on the nerves and hence the pessimism. Buckle up guys! We shall all get invites. Keeping the fingers crossed. Best of luck.

BTW if you have noticed the trend, interview invites are being sent location wise. Maybe India is Up Next.

For everyone's sake, I hope you are right. :)

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 02:07

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 02:20
souvik101990 wrote:
Yeah the 740 thing was confirmed by a few other schools too. That seems to be the interview invite sweet spot.

740 is supposed to be the new MBB threshold for only Indians may be, may be all. We are not expected to be the communicators, so they need the stamp of analysis reliability. Investment Banks look for a Q50 along with the 740. I personally had a 730 (Q47, V44), 720(Q50, V38) before I hit my 750 and the GMAT gods were kind enough to give me 10 points more than what my Q50 V40 would have gotten me.

I am writing today not because I have nerves. I am a reapplicant with 8 dings last time around. I have no nerves left. I am writing because I have hit writer's block in my second Duke essay. :( . You'd think I'd have them ready by now. But I don't and am still submitting.

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 02:21

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 02:30
bs7391 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Yeah the 740 thing was confirmed by a few other schools too. That seems to be the interview invite sweet spot.

740 is supposed to be the new MBB threshold for only Indians may be, may be all. We are not expected to be the communicators, so they need the stamp of analysis reliability. Investment Banks look for a Q50 along with the 740. I personally had a 730 (Q47, V44), 720(Q50, V38) before I hit my 750 and the GMAT gods were kind enough to give me 10 points more than what my Q50 V40 would have gotten me.

I am writing today not because I have nerves. I am a reapplicant with 8 dings last time around. I have no nerves left. I am writing because I have hit writer's block in my second Duke essay. :( . You'd think I'd have them ready by now. But I don't and am still submitting.

Buddy, I am with you. I have more dings than you if it gives you any consolation. Let me know if you'd like to talk. I can give you a call. One way or other we'd survive and only come out with more experience to take on the life, with or without the MBA. Cheer up!

I am sending you a pm. :)

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE: Design (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 02:33
bs7391 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

Chillax mate. I see you write well. 8 dings can really kill you, but I see that you haven't given up yet. That's a Big positive right there. Keep fighting n All the Best :)

P.S. I am on my fourth school right now. And, I am already feeling exhausted. Most of apps are gonna be R2. Hoping to survive :P

12345aBcDeFgHiJkLmNoPqRsTuVwXyZ67890

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 03:02
DigitsnLetters wrote:
bs7391 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

Chillax mate. I see you write well. 8 dings can really kill you, but I see that you haven't given up yet. That's a Big positive right there. Keep fighting n All the Best :)

P.S. I am on my fourth school right now. And, I am already feeling exhausted. Most of apps are gonna be R2. Hoping to survive :P

I'd advise against 'chillax' because 1. it's not easy and 2. It doesn't really help.

I'd say freak out, shout or even tear out your hair if that works for you. Or go for a run or sleep for a bit.

Though I do agree with DigitsnLetters that you write well so you've that going for you, which is nice..

Anyway, enough rant on this. I'd go away and hibernate in my cave.

Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020!   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2017, 03:02

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18  ...  23    Next  [ 453 posts ] 

Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: Gnpth

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap