GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 08 Dec 2019, 00:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.8
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 06:35
All -

I am located in the U.S. I don't want to over-speculate, but my guess is that Kellogg is trying to drive better yield outcomes with these efforts. Otherwise, why would they be doing it? I think it may be a positive indicator, but as we all know, admissions is like a black box. I just can't imagine they would call a lot of candidates for no reason. I think they are trying to maintain engagement to drive better outcomes, even if the calls are "non-evaluative". What does everyone else think? Don't want to get my hopes up, but trying to make sense of everything.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 06:48
MBAApplicant93 wrote:
All -

I am located in the U.S. I don't want to over-speculate, but my guess is that Kellogg is trying to drive better yield outcomes with these efforts. Otherwise, why would they be doing it? I think it may be a positive indicator, but as we all know, admissions is like a black box. I just can't imagine they would call a lot of candidates for no reason. I think they are trying to maintain engagement to drive better outcomes, even if the calls are "non-evaluative". What does everyone else think? Don't want to get my hopes up, but trying to make sense of everything.

Without a doubt, it is with the goal of increasing yield. I'm just curious to know how many people who visited campus and/or interviewed on campus received calls after the fact. If most of the calls are for people who didn't interview on campus, it would make sense that the admissions office is just trying to touch base with those people to help sell the program since they didn't have a chance to do that in person. But if some people who interviewed on campus are receiving calls after their interview and others are not, then it seems there could be some level of selectivity to the calls.
BSchool Moderator
G
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 06:57
I do also think that this could be an effort to improve yield, but I can't seem to figure out the reasoning behind who they are choosing to call/connect with resources.

1. They could be targeting applicants they think have already demonstrated a high genuine intent to join Kellogg, in order to solidify those admit conversations(with the rest of their application and candidature obviously meeting the standards). In which case, if you're in that pool things look good for you.
2. They could be doing this with candidates that they want to admit badly, but who they know might receive other admits or may not have shown as much of an intent during the interactions. This implies there would be another bunch of applicants with equally good credentials and a higher demonstrated intent, and so these non-evaluative calls could actually be a two-way further interaction, but they may or not end up being convinced about successfully admitting such applicants. In such a scenario, I don't think being in this pool necessarily puts one at an advantage.

Whichever way this swings, we'll get to know in about 20 days.

Posted from my mobile device

Is Berkeley Haas your dream school?
Join the applicant conversation on this thread.

My GMAT debrief: 12 weeks to 720 --> 3 weeks to 750
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 09:50
ricyan11 wrote:
hs9 did you apply to the part-time program?

No, I've applied for full time MBA
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 13:15
variantguy wrote:
I do also think that this could be an effort to improve yield, but I can't seem to figure out the reasoning behind who they are choosing to call/connect with resources.

1. They could be targeting applicants they think have already demonstrated a high genuine intent to join Kellogg, in order to solidify those admit conversations(with the rest of their application and candidature obviously meeting the standards). In which case, if you're in that pool things look good for you.
2. They could be doing this with candidates that they want to admit badly, but who they know might receive other admits or may not have shown as much of an intent during the interactions. This implies there would be another bunch of applicants with equally good credentials and a higher demonstrated intent, and so these non-evaluative calls could actually be a two-way further interaction, but they may or not end up being convinced about successfully admitting such applicants. In such a scenario, I don't think being in this pool necessarily puts one at an advantage.

Well said! To give more perspective on my extremely large sample size, of two prospective students, my friend and I both went on Kellogg visits before interviews and interviewed on-campus. We both have received phone calls from admissions and have been paired with current students (from other admissions folks) as well. But back to your points #1 and #2, you could make an argument that we could still fall in either bucket, which I agree that being in bucket #2 doesn't put anyone at an advantage, and may actually be a disadvantage. Again, just my thoughts.
BSchool Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 13:23
Thank you for sharing further! I think it's great to receive so much support and interest from the school during your application! Again, not sure what percentage of domestic vs international students have received these calls and invites, but as an international applicant myself, I would have rather loved to have it than not. Not just for any possible competitive advantage, but just to get a physical feel of the school I would love to attend!

And I do hope that you're in pool #1 that I mentioned above, and good luck with the results! :)

MBAApplicant93 wrote:
variantguy wrote:

Well said! To give more perspective on my extremely large sample size, of two prospective students, my friend and I both went on Kellogg visits before interviews and interviewed on-campus. We both have received phone calls from admissions and have been paired with current students (from other admissions folks) as well. But back to your points #1 and #2, you could make an argument that we could still fall in either bucket, which I agree that being in bucket #2 doesn't put anyone at an advantage, and may actually be a disadvantage. Again, just my thoughts.

BSchool Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 13:25
variantguy wrote:
Thank you for sharing further! I think it's great to receive so much support and interest from the school during your application! Again, not sure what percentage of domestic vs international students have received these calls and invites, but as an international applicant myself, I would have rather loved to have it than not. Not just for any possible competitive advantage, but just to get a closer and more 'physical' feel of the school I would love to attend!

And I do hope that you're in pool #1 that I mentioned above, and good luck with the results! :)

MBAApplicant93 wrote:
variantguy wrote:

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 13:40
variantguy

Yes, for sure. While the engagement is exciting, I try not to get my hopes up or over-think it! I hope that I am in pool #1 as well and I really appreciate the positive words. Only time will tell. Best of luck to you, I'm pulling for you, too.
BSchool Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2019, 21:08
MBAApplicant93 Thank you, fingers crossed for December 11. :)

Founder
Founder
V
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 11:01
Kellogg is now a STEM MBA Program too! Following the likes of Haas who just announced it a few days as well.
https://blogs.kellogg.northwestern.edu/ ... mba-major/

It is called the Management Science Major: https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/pr ... major.aspx and requires you picking it as a major (they have offered 6 majors before Accounting, Economics, Finance, Managing Organizations, Marketing, Operations, Strategy) but don't worry if you were planning to do consulting or Finance or Marketing. The major hardly matters and none of the recruiters/employers ever look at it or ask you about how you did on your classes ;)
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2019, 09:10
Hah! Every year I see this exact discussion and tell people to not read too much into it. What Kellogg or any school does with these targeted reachouts is to do a couple of things:

1. Show to the applicants that they are tech savvy and keep applicants in mind throughout the process. More touch points = more feeling of connectedness for the applicants
2. Sometimes they will "court" some star candidates but these are not a good indicators of final admit and/or scholarship as I too received these calls and emails only to be admitted without any scholarship back in the day.

I would recommend everyone to keep going on with your regular lives for the next 20 odd days until the results are out and not go into these evaluations of things adcoms do :-D
Good luck all!
variantguy wrote:
variantguy wrote:
Thank you for sharing further! I think it's great to receive so much support and interest from the school during your application! Again, not sure what percentage of domestic vs international students have received these calls and invites, but as an international applicant myself, I would have rather loved to have it than not. Not just for any possible competitive advantage, but just to get a closer and more 'physical' feel of the school I would love to attend!

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests
Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2019, 06:09
Quick question,

I'm a US citizen. Is it possible to apply for financial aid? I thought it was only for undergrad. I can pay the tuition out of pocket from my savings, but also I don't make that much either. This is the first school I've seen ask this. Or do they really mean scholarships?
GMAT Club Bot
Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2019, 06:09

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   [ 172 posts ] 

Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: tanmay1392, jaja231