GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 13:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Rice(Jones) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
B
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
Schools: Fisher '19 (A)
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Rice(Jones) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 00:16
Had my interview yesterday. Went pretty well.
Started off with Tell me about yourself. The questions were straight forward:
Why MBA?
Why Rice?
Failure Story? -1 Follow up question
Conflict Story?
Mentorship experience? 1 follow up question
Career progression and current role?
One time you had to persuade someone?
That sums it up. Went on for about 35 minutes. We went off track when I shared my travel experiences and discussed about COLDPLAY's latest video featuring India.
The conversation was engrossing and I felt I put up my best show. Fingers crossed now!
Current Student
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.27
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Re: Calling all Rice(Jones) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 12:44
Had my interview just a few hours ago. ...

Was taken by a 2nd Year student ....

She basically asked me questions in 3 sets ....
Set 1 : Basic introduction
Question: Walk me through your resume.
Cross question: Reason for shifting my job to other firm.

Set 2: Behavioural questions
Question: Describe a situation when you faced conflict when working with the team/ member.
Cross Question: What if the situation repeats with the same person. Would you have the same strategy that you used earlier? If not why? What was your learning from the experience?
Question: How do you define a leader to be?
Cross question: What is your leadership style?

MBA and Goal questions?
Question: Why MBA?
Question: Short term and Long term Goals?
Cross question: Why is your long term goal (Consulting in my case) not my short term goal (Industry Experience)?
Question: Why RICE MBA?

The lady who took the interview was an asian. She was pretty cool and easy with the interview method. This being my second interview i thought i would screw up like the previous one. But overall it was a satisfactory experience this time.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Calling all Rice(Jones) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2016, 04:26
Had my interview few days back.

I did not have a good experience.
1. The interview started 10 minutes late
2. The second year student did not have my application or essays with him and said it was going to be a blind interview based on my resume only :evil:
3. I could not see the interviewer on Skype but he could. I felt like i was talking to a blank laptop screen. What's the point of skype interview if we could not see each other.
4. Asked very standard questions about resume and STG,LTG etc. 1-2 leadership questions. No cross questions no questions about extra work
5. Interview lasted for 12-13 minutes...

I think I am screwed big time!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Jones '18 (WL)

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2016, 10:47
My experience are all basic questions:
Walk me through your resume
S/L goals
3 Whys
Contribution to Rice
Leadership
2 Weakness
Hobbies
Q/A

Good luck everyone. Finger crossed.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2016, 13:21
Hi guys

Need some advice. I am Indian female. My GMAT score is 710 and I have 2+ yrs of work ex as a software developer.

Does it make sense for me to apply to Rice (Jones) now for Full=-time MBA?

Thanks
Neha
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 09:48
Who was your interviewer ?

souvilibra wrote:
Had my interview yesterday. Went pretty well.
Started off with Tell me about yourself. The questions were straight forward:
Why MBA?
Why Rice?
Failure Story? -1 Follow up question
Conflict Story?
Mentorship experience? 1 follow up question
Career progression and current role?
One time you had to persuade someone?
That sums it up. Went on for about 35 minutes. We went off track when I shared my travel experiences and discussed about COLDPLAY's latest video featuring India.
The conversation was engrossing and I felt I put up my best show. Fingers crossed now!
Current Student
B
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
Schools: Fisher '19 (A)
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 01:02
jaysiddharth wrote:
Who was your interviewer ?

Don't remember that :P
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 17:52
TwoFaceHarvey wrote:
Had my interview few days back.

I did not have a good experience.
1. The interview started 10 minutes late
2. The second year student did not have my application or essays with him and said it was going to be a blind interview based on my resume only :evil:
3. I could not see the interviewer on Skype but he could. I felt like i was talking to a blank laptop screen. What's the point of skype interview if we could not see each other.
4. Asked very standard questions about resume and STG,LTG etc. 1-2 leadership questions. No cross questions no questions about extra work
5. Interview lasted for 12-13 minutes...

I think I am screwed big time!

Sounds worse than mine :lol:

12minutes is extremely short. Why do you think the interview ended so abruptly? I didn't feel like I was really able to express myself well during my interview, but it still ran about half an hour.
Current Student
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
WE: Account Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2016, 14:54
poojapoddar wrote:
How can you get the email address of the interviewer ino rder to send a thank you note?

If you did the interview in person, you should ask for it. If not, then you may want to reach out to the friendly admission's team and ask them for his or her email,
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2016, 14:56
varunjogi wrote:
I have received thank you mail from Rice university after my campus interview.
Has any one received the same?

I did as well. I flew down to interview in person, exchanged cards with my interviewer, and then shot him a thank you email the morning after the interview.

I was surprised to see the thank you card when he didn't reply to my thank you email.
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge
Calling all Rice(Jones) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2016, 15:07
nehagpt424 wrote:
Hi guys

Need some advice. I am Indian female. My GMAT score is 710 and I have 2+ yrs of work ex as a software developer.

Does it make sense for me to apply to Rice (Jones) now for Full=-time MBA?

Thanks
Neha

Neha,

It really depends on your goals, experience, etc. Think about your story and what you stand to gain from an MBA from Jones. Also, think about what you could give back to Rice during and after school. In the mind of admissions, they are thinking about how you fit and whether you will grow and succeed during and after your time at Jones. Could you still learn more and improve your soft skills? Do you feel like other experiences before business school will better mold you to succeed down the road?

For example, I took the GMAT 2 years ago and wasn't ready to apply yet because I had just started running an organization in New York City. I was just getting my feet wet with being a board member in my local alumni base. I also was able to take 3 classes to not only judge if I wanted to go back to school, but also better my transcript. On top of that, I moved into a managerial role at work. Lastly, I started hiking 2 years ago, hiked Mount Rainier recently, and will eventually be hiking Mount Kilimanjaro in June. These experiences have changed my life permanently and have molded me into a more impactful person in every aspect of my life. Had I applied 1 or 2 years ago, I wouldn't have been in the same mindset and position.

Your GMAT score alone will make you very competitive and the fact that you are a woman should help, but in order to be particularly appealing to business schools, you need to be a good all around candidate. I'll also add that your 2 years of work experience could be high quality experience that makes you stand out. The quality of your experiences are definitely more important the qualitative aspects.

Hope that helps!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2016, 20:36
Hi...I've been silent reader of this forum and got lots of help from this forum, so...thanks a lot!

I had my interview couple days ago. I was a bit worried when I saw that everyone got the interview invitation by end of January. So, I reached out the adcomm to reconfirm whether every applicant would be interviewed. About two days after that I got the invitation (2nd week of Feb).
I took the Skype interview, overall went OK. The interviewer also told me that it was OK to use the same answer with the essay(s) submitted because he didn't get the essay anyway.
I got similar questions with the others (leadership experience, why MBA, why Rice, etc). Just to add (in case there is a Round 3 applicants here), the interviewer also asked me what would be the benefit for Rice to have me as part of the MBA program.

Good luck to all of you! Fingers crossed for Feb 26! (I just hope if they do call, I am awake and not in the middle of my dream...time difference is quite tough for me, I did the interview at 1 am here :) )
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 11:20
Round three applicant here. Honestly, I was going to wait to apply for Fall 2018 because Ive been meaning to boost my GMAT score. I had 2 free waivers to apply to out of state schools, so I used them since there was no risk, and then decided to pay to send in my app to Rice. I was pleasantly surprised and received an email the day after I sent in my app with an invite to interview.

My interview is scheduled for a March date. Thank you guys for updating about questions I should expect to hear. I really was not expecting an invite at all.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 11:28
Good luck for your interview. Do you mind sharing your GMAT and profile?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 11:37
greenzie wrote:
Good luck for your interview. Do you mind sharing your GMAT and profile?

Hi Greenzie,

I had my entire application completed in September, but planned on retaking the GMAT. I changed my strategy on quant and ran out of time which really messed up my score. I haven't retaken the GMAT but plan to if I get a ding this year.

38/85% Verbal
25/13% Quant (yikes)
530/38% total

6.0/92% Writing
3/25% IR

I have three years experience in oil and gas doing work at an administrative level (non-managerial). My BA is in political science and psychology. I also have 2 certifications (Petroleum Land Management and Certified Public Management). I previously interned in the public sector with many different internships spanning 3 years.

Also, I applied for the Professional program, not the FT program.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 11:39
Thanks for the background! Sorry to hear your new strategy on GMAT messed it up but it's really cool to get the interview invite. Wishing you all the best :)
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 11:26
samkhat77 wrote:
varunjogi wrote:

I did as well. I flew down to interview in person, exchanged cards with my interviewer, and then shot him a thank you email the morning after the interview.

I was surprised to see the thank you card when he didn't reply to my thank you email.

I got one as well. Is this a good sign? We should be hearing back soon! Hopefully with great news.
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 12:57
dpatt wrote:
samkhat77 wrote:
varunjogi wrote:

I got one as well. Is this a good sign? We should be hearing back soon! Hopefully with great news.

I have sent a thank you email to all my interviewers. Have only gotten responses to some of them. The card from Rice was certainly the only reply that came via mail lol :lol:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 13:35
Wow that's interesting and certainly sounds like a positive sign! Did you all mean that you got the thank you card via post and not email?

Posted from my mobile device

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 13:47
jtdesai wrote:
Wow that's interesting and certainly sounds like a positive sign! Did you all mean that you got the thank you card via post and not email?

Yes, a few days later I received it in the mail.
Re: Calling all Rice(Jones) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! &nbs [#permalink] 22 Feb 2016, 13:47

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  16    Next  [ 316 posts ] 

Calling all Rice(Jones) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap