GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 22:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Said (Oxford) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2020!

new topic post reply Update application status  
BSchool Thread Master
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
WE: Operations (Investment Banking)
Re: Calling all Said (Oxford) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 06:20
BooYaah wrote:
Hello again!
My referrer recently sent the HBS letter to Oxford's SBS! She has the letter I helped her with for Oxford but she accidentally mixed up HBS and SBS. Does anyone know how SBS takes this? Has this happened to anyone before, with regards SBS? I am very worried! Deadline is in 2 days.

:/

If I were you I’d call them now. Best chance at getting an answer rather than waiting for a reply via email. Got the number for you

1 617 495 6128
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Re: Calling all Said (Oxford) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 07:13
Hey! I got a reply from the MBA Admissions Head. Sooo relieved!
Thank you for the number SamuelWitwicky! Considering the troubles I am going through, this could be very, very helpful :)

SamuelWitwicky wrote:
BooYaah wrote:
Hello again!
My referrer recently sent the HBS letter to Oxford's SBS! She has the letter I helped her with for Oxford but she accidentally mixed up HBS and SBS. Does anyone know how SBS takes this? Has this happened to anyone before, with regards SBS? I am very worried! Deadline is in 2 days.

:/

If I were you I’d call them now. Best chance at getting an answer rather than waiting for a reply via email. Got the number for you

1 617 495 6128
Darden & Kenan Flagler Thread Master
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 07:30
BooYaah wrote:
Hello again!

Can't you just exempt/exclude the recommendation on the application form and then fill out their details and have them do it again? I see the option to "Exclude" on all my other applications.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Calling all Said (Oxford) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Sep 2018, 11:40
BooYaah wrote:
Hello again!

Hi. I am sorry this has happened and gave you an unhealthy doze of stress.
Speaking from the perspective of a recommender, I think it happens more often than you think. Last year I had to write 11 recommendations for one candidate, that were due within a three-week period. Many of the recommendations were actually the same or very similar. They had a variety of questions that were exact or similar across all of them so I could easily copy and paste but it took a lot of work to make sure that they had the right school’s name.

Thankfully the quality standard is very different for recommenders from that for applicants. As recommenders, we are allowed grammar issues and to be late and submit our recommendations past the deadline. You don't want to have a recommendation that's late, written poorly, and clearly lacking content, but one can definitely get away with something writing it in a course of a few hours, proofreading it, and sending it in. I had to do that a few times since folks asked me to write one last minute when their recommender fell through, and it did not seem to have hurt the applicants. There is also a concept of the recommendation fatigue - when there are so many schools and if you have multiple people reporting to you, it is possible to even mix those up.

Anyway, enough rambling. Use this as an opportunity not only to correct something but become special. You get a chance for your recommender to be more memorable and to put in a few extra words for you. I would tell your recommender to send in a correct recommendation to the Said Adcom and email it with a nice note, something along the lines of - Hello I am a registered recommender for applicant BooYaa to the SBS CLass of 2021 (or whatever it is). I just realized that during the submission process, I have made a mistake and accidentally attached a wrong document with the recommendation. Would it be possible for you to replace it with this one?

I hope this email is not too late and I hope this mistake on my part will not have a bearing on BooYaah's chances of admission. I know she/he were considering Said as one of their top choices and she/he really do possess many of the qualities needed for the business school. I would really appreciate your help with this situation - let me know if I need to contact someone separately about it or if there is another way i should proceed.

Thank you and please do not hesitate to contact me.
I really appreciate your help in this sensitive situation.
Thanks,
The Manager.

PS. You can make it as formal or informal as it suites the recommender - depending on their style. I can see it being a slightly funny, a horror email, or a variety of things. Adcom is people too - they make mistakes too and they love helpfig people - that's their job really, so they will be happy to help.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Originally posted by bb on 04 Sep 2018, 08:53.
Last edited by bb on 04 Sep 2018, 11:40, edited 2 times in total.
edited my grammar
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 11:30
Hi! If the AdCom understands my situation as you say it would, then perfect! So far, the form has been reset so the Adcom seems very understanding (although I hope they dont judge me and think I am lousy and sloppy)...... The main problem is that my referrer is travelling and very short on time (think 5-6 cities in 1 week). I reallllyyyyy doubt if she would be able to send a long separate email but a personal email sounds like a very nice idea. I will ask her to send a short message at least.
Thanks a lot for that really wonderful suggestion. I wouldn't have thought of it in such a messed up situation. :hurt: Let's hope for the best :-) :-) :-)

bb wrote:
BooYaah wrote:
Hello again!

Hi. I am sorry this has happened and gave you an unhealthy doze of stress.
Speaking from the perspective of a recommender, I think it happens more often than you think. Last year I had to write 11 recommendations for one candidate, that would do within a three-week period. Many of the recommendations were actually the same or very similar. They had the exact same questions and it took a lot of work to make sure that they had the right school’s name.

Thankfully the quality standard is very different for recommenders from that for applicants. As recommenders, we are allowed grammar issues, and most often - to be late and submit our recommendations past the deadline. You don't want to have a recommendation that's late, written poorly, and clearly is lacking content, but one can definitely get away from writing it in a course of a few hours, proofreading it, and sending it in. I had to do that a few times since folks asked me to write one last minute when their recommender fell through, and it did not seem to have hurt the applicants. There is also a concept of the recommendation fatigue - when there are so many schools and if you have multiple people reporting to you, it is possible to even mix those up.

Anyway, enough rambling. Use this as an opportunity not only to correct something but become special. You get a chance for your recommender to be more memorable and to put in a few extra words for you. I would tell your recommender to send in a correct recommendation to the Said Adcom and email it with a nice note, something along the lines of - Hello I am a registered recommender for applicant BooYaa to the SBS CLass of 2021 (or whatever it is). I just realized that during the submission process, I have made a mistake and accidentally attached a wrong document with the recommendation. Would it be possible for you to replace it with this one?

I hope this email is not too late and I hope this mistake on my part will not have a bearing on BooYaah's chances of admission. I know she/he were considering Said as one of their top choices and she/he really do possess many of the qualities needed for the business school. I would really appreciate your help with this - let me know if I need to contact someone separately about this or if there is another way to correct this.

Thank you and please do not hesitate to contact me.
I really appreciate your help in this sensitive situation.
Thanks,
The Manager.

PS. You can make it as formal or informal as it suites the recommender - depending on their style. I can see it being a slightly funny, a horror email, or a variety of things. Adcom is people too - they make mistakes too and they love helpfig people - that's their job really, so they will be happy to help.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 11:33
I was kind of doubtful about that because it could maybe exclude the referrer permanently. I dont want that. I have no time to search for another referrer in 2 days (less!). So I just contacted the Adcom. Better safe than sorry!

Amaranth wrote:
BooYaah wrote:
Hello again!

Can't you just exempt/exclude the recommendation on the application form and then fill out their details and have them do it again? I see the option to "Exclude" on all my other applications.
BSchool Thread Master
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 05:21
In for round 1! If anyone has any questions in the later rounds I will do my best to answer
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GRE 1: Q155 V165
GPA: 3.87
WE: Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 07:00
Do you folks think there is a lot less applications this year since Oxford pushed their deadline up 20 days or so? They are now competing with Harvard and other schools with super early R1 deadlines.

I hope so, but it may just be wishful thinking! Anyway, congrats to my fellow R1 applicants. We did it!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 08:19
I hope there are fewer applications! :D

howdytex2 wrote:
Do you folks think there is a lot less applications this year since Oxford pushed their deadline up 20 days or so? They are now competing with Harvard and other schools with super early R1 deadlines.

I hope so, but it may just be wishful thinking! Anyway, congrats to my fellow R1 applicants. We did it!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V34
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 02:42
To be honest, I expect applications for top European MBAs to go up due to the decrease in applications to MBA programs in the US. Since it became so difficult for international folks to get a work permit in the US, lots of them will likely target programs in the EU instead, probably resulting in more applications to Oxford.
BSchool Thread Master
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 06:25
Tobias Johannes wrote:
To be honest, I expect applications for top European MBAs to go up due to the decrease in applications to MBA programs in the US. Since it became so difficult for international folks to get a work permit in the US, lots of them will likely target programs in the EU instead, probably resulting in more applications to Oxford.

Hmmm but with brexit impending, it doesn’t pan very well out for foreigners either don’t you think?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.12

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 04:38
In
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 06:35
Invited to Interview!!! :grin: :shocked

Just got the notification.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.12

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 06:42
Congratulations howdytex2 !! Yeah, they had mailed that we may be hearing from them on the 21st. Guess they've started sending out notifications. Hoping some good news for myself too :D
BSchool Thread Master
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 06:44
howdytex2 wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS!!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V34
GPA: 3.7
Calling all Said (Oxford) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Sep 2018, 09:41
That’s great!

Originally posted by Tobias Johannes on 20 Sep 2018, 06:49.
Last edited by Tobias Johannes on 20 Sep 2018, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 08:40
howdytex2 wrote:

Congrats! Do you plan on going to the US or UK Interview?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 10:02
Congratulations to everyone who has received an interview invitation!

As you start preparing for your Oxford interview, you can find some helpful tips here:

https://www.orieladmissions.com/single- ... rview-tips
BSchool Thread Master
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 10:09
May I request that those who have made it for the interview indicate on their profiles so that we can have accurate tracking?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Sep 2018, 19:12
Sure! My profile is:

GRE: 155 Q, 165 V, AWA 5.5
WE: 30 months, Non-Profit Performing Arts
GPA: 3.8,
Oxford-connection: I studied abroad there during my undergrad. I also visited campus last year.

I think the focus on gmat/gre may be unwarranted. However, I spent a lot of time on my essays.

I’m so excited!

Originally posted by howdytex2 on 20 Sep 2018, 11:06.
Last edited by howdytex2 on 21 Sep 2018, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
Calling all Said (Oxford) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2020! &nbs [#permalink] 20 Sep 2018, 11:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 57 posts ] 

Calling all Said (Oxford) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2020!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap