GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 22 Feb 2020, 00:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Tuck Waitlisted Applicants - Class of 2022

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 7441
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Calling all Tuck Waitlisted Applicants - Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2020, 03:54

Calling all Tuck Waitlisted Applicants.



It is a tough place to be on the WL but a maybe is usually better than a ding.
This is a place to get together, encourage each other, and discuss strategies for getting off the WL.

Here are some of the most popular of GMAT Club's Waitlist discussions:

Good Luck!
_________________
2020 MBA Applicants: Introduce Yourself Here!

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Oct 2019
Posts: 12
Location: United States
GRE 1: Q162 V168
GPA: 3.66
Re: Calling all Tuck Waitlisted Applicants - Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2020, 13:41
Hey all,
Anyone know when we should expect to hear feedback from Tuck? Really interested to see what they say.

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 7441
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Tuck Waitlisted Applicants - Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2020, 21:04
Jned44 wrote:
Hey all,
Anyone know when we should expect to hear feedback from Tuck? Really interested to see what they say.

Posted from my mobile device


FYI.. a post from last year's Tuck WL thread. Hopefully, it will give you some clues about the waitlist process at Tuck.

Kelen wrote:
Don't think anyone will be able to give you really clear responses to your questions, but I'll give it a whirl. FWIW, I'm an Indian male reapplicant as well and was on the waitlist of a different school last year for 6 months. I did get into a couple of schools in R1 this year, Tuck included.

Quote:
1. Typically, how good are the prospects of a wait list being converted at Tuck (Please emphasize on my India Male re applicant candidature). Although Tuck is a top school, it still is a safety school for some very serious candidates. Guessing a lot of admits declining their offer. Might also depend on the number of wait list candidates(Any number here ? Tuck cites around 100)

1) I don't think you'll find any clear information about this anywhere. It will depend every year, but this link by MBA Data Guru should give you some insight. Please note that the conclusions might be flawed because its completely dependent on self-reported data. http://www.mbadataguru.com/blog/mba/mba ... 2019-data/

Quote:
2. When will Tuck announce their final decision ? Is it when R1 admits decline their offer, or do they pool in all the wait listed candidates after R2 (both R1 and R2), and then come with the final decision ?

2) Based on previous years, looks like it could be any time. Typically best times to look out are during R2 decisions and during deposit deadlines. It could also only happen after R3. I don't agree that a lot of people decline their offer, Tuck really tries to make sure that the people they admit really want to be there. Their yield is around 50% and has held pretty steady. Also, people pick Tuck over M7 schools regularly because of its culture. Anecdotally, I know someone who was waitlisted at Tuck in EA and didn't make it in at all.

Quote:
3. What are some good measures, apart from higher GMAT score / promotion, to highlight an improved candidacy ? Visiting Tuck in person would be difficult for me, but would that significantly help ?

3) I did some coursework while I was on the waitlist and I wrote a letter of interest aside in addition to the measures you mentioned. It still wasn't enough to get me off the waitlist despite a pretty major improvement of my GMAT score. I did visit the campus this year to interview and I think it was the best decision I made. However, I'm fairly certain they don't expect you to do it from India. The cost is pretty significant and there is no guarantee it will move the needle or make any difference to your waitlist decision. You might be better off spending that time and effort on your R2 apps, but its your call.

This is just based on my experience as a reapplicant to Tuck and as someone who's been on the waitlist, I'm absolutely not an expert. Take everything I've said with a grain of salt and maybe speak to students at Tuck to get a better idea.

_________________
2020 MBA Applicants: Introduce Yourself Here!

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Jun 2016
Posts: 64
Location: United States (MA)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.4
Re: Calling all Tuck Waitlisted Applicants - Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2020, 08:25
I recieved feedback from Tuck 2 days ago, got an email saying there was a portal update. In my case the school recommends I just wait, which is kind of good and bad news I suppose. On one hand, I'd like to be proactive and do something concrete such as an additional LoR, but on the other hand I want to follow their instructions. There is still a link in the update for any major updates to send the school, so I think a short email detailing some milestones in my ECs and work will be my goal for the WL.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Feb 2019
Posts: 8
Location: United Arab Emirates
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Re: Calling all Tuck Waitlisted Applicants - Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2020, 08:43
I received feedback yesterday. I was told that although my GMAT score is decent, it is below the average, and that if I can score higher then it's recommended that I do so.

I've got a 710 right now and I would really hate to spend a month or two studying to only maybe get a better score (730 or above). And even if I do get that score, there are no guarantees that I'll be admitted.

At the moment, I feel like my time would be better spent doing other things that will better prepare me for business school. For example, I just signed up for MBA Math. I was really thinking about visiting Hanover to meet a few students, get a feel for the atmosphere, and perhaps speak to somebody from Admissions.

Is there any point to go if I choose to ignore the feedback and not retake GMAT? Tuck is my number 1 school.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Jun 2016
Posts: 64
Location: United States (MA)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.4
Calling all Tuck Waitlisted Applicants - Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2020, 08:57
mazenosman wrote:
I received feedback yesterday. I was told that although my GMAT score is decent, it is below the average, and that if I can score higher then it's recommended that I do so.

I've got a 710 right now and I would really hate to spend a month or two studying to only maybe get a better score (730 or above). And even if I do get that score, there are no guarantees that I'll be admitted.

At the moment, I feel like my time would be better spent doing other things that will better prepare me for business school. For example, I just signed up for MBA Math. I was really thinking about visiting Hanover to meet a few students, get a feel for the atmosphere, and perhaps speak to somebody from Admissions.

Is there any point to go if I choose to ignore the feedback and not retake GMAT? Tuck is my number 1 school.



If visiting Hanover is difficult, you could reach out to students through the school's student ambassador page. Tuck is my top choice as well, so I can imagine how you're feeling. Did the feedback suggest enrolling in MBA Math, or did it only suggest retaking the GMAT? The point of the GMAT is to show whether you are able to handle the MBA curriculum, so perhaps doing well in the MBA Math courses could signal that to the school. Also, if you visited Tuck already for the self-initiated interview, visiting the campus again to simply meet students might be unnecessary, but if it's not a big deal to go, might be worth a shot. I am considering a second visit as well, but I live fairly close and I'm interested in a weekend trip there with my wife and child to do some sightseeing so they can see the campus.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Feb 2019
Posts: 8
Location: United Arab Emirates
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Re: Calling all Tuck Waitlisted Applicants - Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2020, 09:05
LXVE wrote:
mazenosman wrote:
I received feedback yesterday. I was told that although my GMAT score is decent, it is below the average, and that if I can score higher then it's recommended that I do so.

I've got a 710 right now and I would really hate to spend a month or two studying to only maybe get a better score (730 or above). And even if I do get that score, there are no guarantees that I'll be admitted.

At the moment, I feel like my time would be better spent doing other things that will better prepare me for business school. For example, I just signed up for MBA Math. I was really thinking about visiting Hanover to meet a few students, get a feel for the atmosphere, and perhaps speak to somebody from Admissions.

Is there any point to go if I choose to ignore the feedback and not retake GMAT? Tuck is my number 1 school.



If visiting Hanover is difficult, you could reach out to students through the school's student ambassador page. Tuck is my top choice as well, so I can imagine how you're feeling. Did the feedback suggest enrolling in MBA Math, or did it only suggest retaking the GMAT? The point of the GMAT is to show whether you are able to handle the MBA curriculum, so perhaps doing well in the MBA Math courses could signal that to the school. Also, if you visited Tuck already for the self-initiated interview, visiting the campus again to simply meet students might be unnecessary, but if it's not a big deal to go, might be worth a shot. I am considering a second visit as well, but I live fairly close and I'm interested in a weekend trip there with my wife and child to do some sightseeing so they can see the campus.

Posted from my mobile device



I'm based overseas and so visiting Hanover will not be easy. The feedback said that there is not a lot that they suggest I work on, apart from the GMAT.

I signed up for MBA Math proactively when I was waitlisted. My undergraduate GPA was 2.95 and I come from a non-traditional background (but still very quant-heavy), so I thought MBA Math would help. I might also do a couple courses on Coursera. I do feel like that'll add more value to business school experience than retaking GMAT.

I didn't visit the school (my interview was initiated by Tuck and was conducted over Skype).

Congrats on the 770 by the way, an incredible score.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Jun 2016
Posts: 64
Location: United States (MA)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.4
Re: Calling all Tuck Waitlisted Applicants - Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2020, 09:17
mazenosman wrote:
LXVE wrote:
mazenosman wrote:
I received feedback yesterday. I was told that although my GMAT score is decent, it is below the average, and that if I can score higher then it's recommended that I do so.

I've got a 710 right now and I would really hate to spend a month or two studying to only maybe get a better score (730 or above). And even if I do get that score, there are no guarantees that I'll be admitted.

At the moment, I feel like my time would be better spent doing other things that will better prepare me for business school. For example, I just signed up for MBA Math. I was really thinking about visiting Hanover to meet a few students, get a feel for the atmosphere, and perhaps speak to somebody from Admissions.

Is there any point to go if I choose to ignore the feedback and not retake GMAT? Tuck is my number 1 school.



If visiting Hanover is difficult, you could reach out to students through the school's student ambassador page. Tuck is my top choice as well, so I can imagine how you're feeling. Did the feedback suggest enrolling in MBA Math, or did it only suggest retaking the GMAT? The point of the GMAT is to show whether you are able to handle the MBA curriculum, so perhaps doing well in the MBA Math courses could signal that to the school. Also, if you visited Tuck already for the self-initiated interview, visiting the campus again to simply meet students might be unnecessary, but if it's not a big deal to go, might be worth a shot. I am considering a second visit as well, but I live fairly close and I'm interested in a weekend trip there with my wife and child to do some sightseeing so they can see the campus.

Posted from my mobile device



I'm based overseas and so visiting Hanover will not be easy. The feedback said that there is not a lot that they suggest I work on, apart from the GMAT.

I signed up for MBA Math proactively when I was waitlisted. My undergraduate GPA was 2.95 and I come from a non-traditional background (but still very quant-heavy), so I thought MBA Math would help. I might also do a couple courses on Coursera. I do feel like that'll add more value to business school experience than retaking GMAT.

I didn't visit the school (my interview was initiated by Tuck and was conducted over Skype).

Congrats on the 770 by the way, an incredible score.


Thanks for the kind words, hopefully we both end up classmates at Tuck! I actually have a 2.4 GPA so our profiles are actually quite similar in terms of the stats! I am considering signing up for MBA Math too, which is why I have been asking about it. I'm worried because I am a father now to a 6-week old baby and I hardly get any sleep nowadays, and on top of work, I fear I may not be able to do well in an online course at the moment. I would definitely sign up in the Summer though when the baby is a little older and is starting to develop a regular sleep schedule, but at that point it will likely be too late to make an impact on the WL. I also completed additional coursework in some finance and econ classes to offset the GPA, so even less sure about signing up for the course right now. Since you are overseas, visiting Tuck will be harder for you than it is for me, but on the plus side, this is the time of year when flights are some of the cheapest, and you could maybe spend the weekend sightseeing Boston, and visiting Tuck on a Monday. I prefer to visit early on in the week versus a Friday when most students are thinking about the weekend. Best of luck fellow waitlistee! As for the GMAT, you scored a 710 and so gettinf 730 or even 750+ is definitely within reach. Might have to sacrifice the social life to achieve it, but a few weeks of studying to achieve it would be worth it! Also, Tuck takes more off the waitlist in the 700-730 range than it does 730+, so even just a 20 point boost in your case could really help!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Feb 2019
Posts: 8
Location: United Arab Emirates
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Calling all Tuck Waitlisted Applicants - Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2020, 09:41
1
Congratulations on becoming a father! Such incredible news. Definitely focus on your 6-week old for now. I will say though that MBA Math is really useful and it's not too demanding. You could squeeze in a few 30 min sessions a week (when you start to free up a little bit).

Yeah I may just come to Hanover and see Boston for a couple days! Best of luck to you as well!
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Jun 2016
Posts: 64
Location: United States (MA)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.4
Re: Calling all Tuck Waitlisted Applicants - Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2020, 10:12
1
Really appreciate it! If the MBA Math isn't that time consuming, maybe I'll just start it in a few weeks. Thanks for the encouraging words and insight into your situation. Good luck with the months ahead and if you visit Boston definitely check out the New England Aquarium, it's incredible and it might be a meditative experience to put things into better perspective as those of us on the waitlist have a unique layer of stress in our lives.

Posted from my mobile device
Wharton Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 12 Jun 2019
Posts: 85
Location: United States (NY)
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
Re: Calling all Tuck Waitlisted Applicants - Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2020, 11:04
mazenosman wrote:
I received feedback yesterday. I was told that although my GMAT score is decent, it is below the average, and that if I can score higher then it's recommended that I do so.

I've got a 710 right now and I would really hate to spend a month or two studying to only maybe get a better score (730 or above). And even if I do get that score, there are no guarantees that I'll be admitted.

At the moment, I feel like my time would be better spent doing other things that will better prepare me for business school. For example, I just signed up for MBA Math. I was really thinking about visiting Hanover to meet a few students, get a feel for the atmosphere, and perhaps speak to somebody from Admissions.

Is there any point to go if I choose to ignore the feedback and not retake GMAT? Tuck is my number 1 school.


I feel like not re-taking the GMAT would be a big mistakes. They basically say your score is below average, which means that is at least part of the reason they didn't accept you. The rest of your application was not strong enough for them to take the hit to their GMAT averages and resulting ranking to let you in. If you score above their average, then you are in a place where you actually help their average, which may make it more likely you get in of their waitlist.

If Tuck is your #1, I think a few weeks (1-2 months) of study to score above a 730 is extremely worthwhile and if you still don't get in, at least you have no what if's or regrets. Just my 2 cents
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Mar 2019
Posts: 14
Re: Calling all Tuck Waitlisted Applicants - Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2020, 13:45
xprometheusx wrote:
mazenosman wrote:
I received feedback yesterday. I was told that although my GMAT score is decent, it is below the average, and that if I can score higher then it's recommended that I do so.

I've got a 710 right now and I would really hate to spend a month or two studying to only maybe get a better score (730 or above). And even if I do get that score, there are no guarantees that I'll be admitted.

At the moment, I feel like my time would be better spent doing other things that will better prepare me for business school. For example, I just signed up for MBA Math. I was really thinking about visiting Hanover to meet a few students, get a feel for the atmosphere, and perhaps speak to somebody from Admissions.

Is there any point to go if I choose to ignore the feedback and not retake GMAT? Tuck is my number 1 school.


I feel like not re-taking the GMAT would be a big mistakes. They basically say your score is below average, which means that is at least part of the reason they didn't accept you. The rest of your application was not strong enough for them to take the hit to their GMAT averages and resulting ranking to let you in. If you score above their average, then you are in a place where you actually help their average, which may make it more likely you get in of their waitlist.

If Tuck is your #1, I think a few weeks (1-2 months) of study to score above a 730 is extremely worthwhile and if you still don't get in, at least you have no what if's or regrets. Just my 2 cents


But there is no guarantee that he would improve even if he has sufficient time and studies harder. Anyways, taking it may give him peace of mind.
Wharton Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 12 Jun 2019
Posts: 85
Location: United States (NY)
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
Re: Calling all Tuck Waitlisted Applicants - Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2020, 14:04
1
chiefinance wrote:

But there is no guarantee that he would improve even if he has sufficient time and studies harder. Anyways, taking it may give him peace of mind.


You are absolutely right that there is no guarantee, but if its your #1 choice, I think you owe it to yourself to fight for it. If I was applying and WL'ed and my #1 choice said score a 800 on the gmat and your candidacy will be stronger. You know what I would do? I would kill myself and do everything in my power to get that 800. If I don't get it, I at least can know that I did EVERYTHING in my power to make it happen.

Also to the school, the fact that you fought for it will enhance your candidacy more than just the increase in raw score. It shows you took their feedback and wanted their school bad enough to devote the extra time to being better. Remember, this is not unsolicited feedback. He asked and received feedback from the school. I would even argue by not re taking the GMAT, he is showing the school he doesn't care that much about them since he ignored their feedback.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Feb 2019
Posts: 8
Location: United Arab Emirates
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Re: Calling all Tuck Waitlisted Applicants - Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2020, 21:19
xprometheusx wrote:
chiefinance wrote:

But there is no guarantee that he would improve even if he has sufficient time and studies harder. Anyways, taking it may give him peace of mind.


You are absolutely right that there is no guarantee, but if its your #1 choice, I think you owe it to yourself to fight for it. If I was applying and WL'ed and my #1 choice said score a 800 on the gmat and your candidacy will be stronger. You know what I would do? I would kill myself and do everything in my power to get that 800. If I don't get it, I at least can know that I did EVERYTHING in my power to make it happen.

Also to the school, the fact that you fought for it will enhance your candidacy more than just the increase in raw score. It shows you took their feedback and wanted their school bad enough to devote the extra time to being better. Remember, this is not unsolicited feedback. He asked and received feedback from the school. I would even argue by not re taking the GMAT, he is showing the school he doesn't care that much about them since he ignored their feedback.



You make some good observations here. I need to sit with this for a few days and make a decision on how to proceed.

Thank you all for your input.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Jul 2018
Posts: 11
Re: Calling all Tuck Waitlisted Applicants - Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2020, 23:12
I received my waitlist feedback from Tuck yesterday. The letter mentions that I just wait, this is a little confusing because I was under the impression that if you are placed on the waitlist there is some aspect of your application that is on the weaker side. Can anyone please shed some light on what this might indicate? Thank you!
Wharton Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 12 Jun 2019
Posts: 85
Location: United States (NY)
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
Re: Calling all Tuck Waitlisted Applicants - Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2020, 15:02
AR1234567 wrote:
I received my waitlist feedback from Tuck yesterday. The letter mentions that I just wait, this is a little confusing because I was under the impression that if you are placed on the waitlist there is some aspect of your application that is on the weaker side. Can anyone please shed some light on what this might indicate? Thank you!


Unfortunately if there are no specific feedback, I think it means there is nothing in your application that is a glaring weakness, but at the same time they don’t love it enough to grant you admission. They want to see how the class rounds out before making a final decision on whether you fit the class profile they are trying to build.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 05 May 2019
Posts: 16
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
Re: Calling all Tuck Waitlisted Applicants - Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2020, 21:27
Did anyone else get feedback about wanting more info on your goals and motivation to apply to Tuck? I feel like I articulated both pretty clearly in my essays and interviews, so I'm not really sure how to detail this out more.

I'd love any and all advice!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Tuck Waitlisted Applicants - Class of 2022   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2020, 21:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Tuck Waitlisted Applicants - Class of 2022

  new topic post reply Update application status  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne