GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 16 Jul 2020, 06:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all USC Marshall Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Calling all USC Marshall Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2016, 17:20
RaviChandra wrote:
bguedes wrote:
Hi all,

Round 3 international applicant here. I guess many of you have faced the same issue at some point. Should I send hard copies of my transcripts and diplomas to USC and IERF before even getting the interview invite?? I thought Adcoms would rely on transcripts and diplomas uploaded through the Application Portal for evaluation purpose. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance guys!

You need to submit them only once you are admitted.

I've just heard back from Adcom. Please see below.

"Yes, you will need to send us your official transcripts from your respective institution in order for you application to be considered. Please refer to the application and document submission instructions posted on our website: http://www.usc.edu/admission/graduate/a ... tion1.html"

It seems weird, don't you think? Thanks for your help!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
GMAT 3: 680 Q42 V40
GPA: 3.49
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Re: Calling all USC Marshall Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2016, 21:26
It's odd, but the only thing I really care about in the USN metrics is the Quality Assessment. Otherwise, I think you need to look at the rankings in terms of where the school sits in the location and industry you intend to join after school.

If you look at the US News methodology (http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... ethodology), you see these categories: Quality Assessment (40%), Placement Success (35%), and Student Selectivity (25%).

Placement success has tightly bunched salary and %employed after 3 months of graduation data; I think Marshall is competitive with its peers in that area (particularly in consulting, finance, and tech, if you check out the latest Marshall employment report - the median consulting salary for a Marshall grad is $135k!). If you look at the Forbes rankings, the 5-year out average salary (NOT the gain, the salary numbers ranked) for Marshall is 17th, near peers (in my mind) UCLA, Duke, and UT (http://www.forbes.com/business-schools/ ... verse:true)

Student selectivity - Marshall didn't up its GMAT or GPA stats. Other similarly ranked schools might have. Does that matter? Many of the schools in the top 30 did not change much in their GPA/GMAT averages. If a few schools around Marshall did, does that make Marshall worse?

Quality Assessment: Okay, I care about this, but with a grain of salt. I want to know the Peer Assessment Score and Recruiter Assessment Score and whether that's going up or down. This is a kind-of representation of brand quality.

BUT

We all must realize that if you are NOT recruiting into consulting or finance (so the other half of a bschool class, or less depending on the school), your target industry's assessments, and the assessments of the school's peers, will matter less. If schools only care about churning MBB consultants with the highest salaries, they may rank a school 'lower'. But where does NYU or Yale rank on getting people jobs in LA or SF?

If you're a hot Bay Area or LA startup, or a less sexy large company (think NetApp, eBay, PayPal) - what are your rankings of MBA programs? Where are you recruiting first? Stanford, Haas, Anderson, Marshall. Sure, people from other MBAs work at these companies - but a lot less, and there are a lot less people from those schools in OTHER industries in the area. If you want to go into entertainment or digital media, where does USC rank? Pretty effing high. Is Cornell or WashU or Vanderbilt or Washington or Georgetown or Rice ahead of Marshall in those rankings? No. Are they ahead of Marshall in the ranking of SF or LA consultancies or banks? No. All but a select few of the business schools are regional, so while it's mildly irritating that USC is ranked below these other schools, unless Marshall is actually a legitimately worse educational experience (didn't see any measure of that in the USN rankings) or actually produces crappy graduates (is the Trojan Network the biggest hoax of all time??), then I think we can sleep easy on this one.

And yes, this is me trying to work out in a public forum whether these rankings mean something so I can in fact go to sleep tonight, lol

jbmnyc wrote:
Disappointing to see Marshall drop in rankings this year. Was 25 in US News in 2015, dropped to 31 in 2016 ranking list published today.

I know there are 20 top 10 schools and to take all rankings with a grain of salt, etc... But brand certainly does matter. Thoughts on such a huge drop?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all USC Marshall Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2016, 22:09
Look at the recruiter rating of the school - Marshall still makes top 20.. I feel it's the most important metrics of the ranking.. GMAT/GRE (keep in mind Marshall is relatively larger program compared to similarly ranked other programs) or career services data are important but there are several sub factors for these metrics which can impact the ranking.
Plus look at the schools ranked above Marshall, some of them surely aren't better than Marshall..

In my opinion Marshall is well poised to break in top 20. Why? I believe Marshall has improved focus on career services, the area has been Achilles heel for Marshall. May be its something to do with new director of career services. They have already started working with incoming students on career workshops.. How many schools have started this process so early? This will reflect positively in ranking in a year.

Overall ranking is not really that useful, we need to look at fit with career goals and school's reach and reputation in desired field of work and region. Ranking number in isolation should not be the main criteria for selecting schools..

jbmnyc wrote:
Disappointing to see Marshall drop in rankings this year. Was 25 in US News in 2015, dropped to 31 in 2016 ranking list published today.

I know there are 20 top 10 schools and to take all rankings with a grain of salt, etc... But brand certainly does matter. Thoughts on such a huge drop?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 08:12
Just submitted my Round 3 application. Hope to hear from them soon about an interview invite!
Intern
Intern
Calling all USC Marshall Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Mar 2016, 09:18
jbmnyc wrote:

I don't think it's necessarily accurate to call a drop from 25 to 31 in one ranking a "huge drop," but more generally there have been some obvious issues at Marshall in recent years that have called the value of the program into question. There are new admissions and career services directors for a reason, a lot of students have complained about lack of on-campus recruiting and bad interactions with Career Services, and the employment numbers in recent years have been troubling (for the class of 2013, nearly 20% of Marshall grads didn't have full-time jobs by three months after graduation). Oh, and despite all of that, they still unapologetically want 116k (and rising) in tuition and fees alone to attend.

Based on all of that, the decline in the ranking of the program seems justified. Marshall has seemingly been on a bit of a slow decline across a broad spectrum of ranking services in recent years, so I don't think this is anything overly unexpected.

OTOH, even if you play the rankings game, what difference does it make? Marshall has never been considered a top program in that respect -- not even close to M7 territory, and well behind programs like Haas and Anderson -- and if you're not getting into one of those types of programs, is there really a meaningful difference between, say, 23rd and 32nd? It's negligible at best, and probably shouldn't have any real impact on your final decision.

Marshall fits really well with your career goals? Go. Marshall throw you a ton of money and make you an offer you can't refuse? Go. Marshall far and away the best program you can ever possibly get into? Go. Otherwise, unless you've just got a ton of money to blow and nothing else on the horizon for a couple of years, you should probably pass. There are definitely some elite MBA programs out there that you almost cannot turn down under any circumstance, but Marshall just doesn't fall into that category. If you're going there, you need a real plan and/or an external incentive. That's my take on it, anyway.

Originally posted by BrotherTN750 on 18 Mar 2016, 08:16.
Last edited by BrotherTN750 on 18 Mar 2016, 09:18, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 08:51
Hi all, I don't know if this is the right thread for this question, but has anyone dealt with USC financial aid? I was accepted as a R2 applicant, and the "welcome letter" was a single pager with no mention or information about any financial aid being offered. The portal also didn't have any info for me. I plan to call them today for more information, but wanted to see if anyone has had any experience on this front that they'd be willing to share. Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 09:07
thismausername wrote:
Hi all, I don't know if this is the right thread for this question, but has anyone dealt with USC financial aid? I was accepted as a R2 applicant, and the "welcome letter" was a single pager with no mention or information about any financial aid being offered. The portal also didn't have any info for me. I plan to call them today for more information, but wanted to see if anyone has had any experience on this front that they'd be willing to share. Thanks!

That's their nice way of saying that you didn't get any scholarships/fellowships. You can call and ask, and it's always possible some money could become available later as candidates drop out, but in the meantime you should be moving forward with the understanding that you will be paying for all of year one (and perhaps year two) by yourself.

Will add that Marshall does have a scholarship program in place for students who didn't receive any money in year one, but who did really well academically and in the program community, so that could be an option for year two. I haven't, however, been able to figure out how much those scholarships are worth, which has led me to believe (right or wrong) that they are probably pretty small awards, say 5k to 10k. Again, though, that's all my speculation, and perhaps one of the current students could give you some more definitive info on this.

Congrats on the offer!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 12:52
Nice to hear some responses on the ranking drop. I think the drop from top 25 to 31 IS indeed significant due to magnitude of the movement, but it doesn't change the fact that Marshall has always been a strong regional school and significantly lesser known and reputable nationally than west coast counterparts Haas and Anderson. It's much nicer to say "I attend a top 25 school" than "I attend a school tied for 31st" :-D

I don't think anything fundamentally has changed in Marshall this year vs. last, and a lot of this is likely due to the lost momentum and collateral damage related to the 2013 class' apparently vacant career services department. I believe Marshall is a better school than rankings account for, but hopefully gathers some steam to move up closer to top 20 (where it once was) in the coming half decade.

Ultimately my take is this: Marshall is a very strong regional school, nearly at parity with UCLA - IF you're interested in a long term career in SoCal and have post-MBA targets that fit within Marshall's general strengths: entertainment, real estate, consulting, and corporate finance. It's expense is above what it should be and difficult to palate without significant financial aid or a generous relative. Marshall will not open doors nationally like an M7 school, and that should be clear as day to anybody applying to it in the first place. There's significant value in the school, but one has to search a little harder to find the niche with the highest ROI. It certainly would not be a bad place to spend 2 years.

Personally, I'm waiting to hear back from UT which has always been my top choice. I would choose McCombs over Marshall due to better alignment with my goals, but honestly I loved LA when I visited and would love to have my post-MBA career there. I will give Marshall a hard look in the event of an admit to both.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2016, 00:44
May you have the most blessed holi festival than you ever had.
May it be full of fun,joy and love.
May you be as colorful as the festival itself or even more.
Lets all have lots of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GPA: 3.9
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2016, 04:50
On campus interview done on Mar. 24th,admitted on Mar. 30th.

According to the admission office, decision release will come out in a rolling base sequence, starting from Apr. 1st to Apr. 15th. Bless everyone!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 10:22
alliatjtj wrote:
On campus interview done on Mar. 24th,admitted on Mar. 30th.

According to the admission office, decision release will come out in a rolling base sequence, starting from Apr. 1st to Apr. 15th. Bless everyone!

Congratulations on your admit!

and thanks for sharing this information, I had my interview on 28th.. and was expecting the decision to be released today (Apr 1st).. you mean this might not be the case right?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 11:57
Any idea when Round 3 interview invites are sent out?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V35

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 14:03
Admitted!! R2
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 18:35
Admitted!! R2
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 20:18
Admitted, but didn't receive any information re: scholarship!
Did anyone receive any scholarship info via mail or on the portal?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 20:21
Same here. Just got a mail from Admission team stating that I am admitted. No Scholarship information mentioned.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Marshall '18 (A)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 23:03
Hi , Does anyone one know how long do we have to accept the offer?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2016, 02:41
Admitted R2. As far as I know scholarship information will come in admissions packet. Any idea how much scholarship is being awarded this year to international students? Any stats from R1 admits?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2016, 08:47
Admitted!
do we have any https://gmatclub.com/chat group of admitted candidates?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.1
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2016, 12:57
Admitted !!!

But really perplexed between ISB and USC Marshall !!! can someone help me out ..
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all USC Marshall Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2016, 12:57

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14    Next  [ 275 posts ] 

Calling all USC Marshall Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status