GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 00:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all UVA Darden MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.19
Re: Calling all UVA Darden MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 05:17
billybobish wrote:
Does anyone know how common full-ride scholarships are at Darden? From my research (and past GMATClub posts), it appears that they are fairly common.
Any trends you observe about folks who get scholarship dough? In terms of GMAT score, work exp, extra-currics, other stuff??

Sent from my Moto G (4) using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all UVA Darden MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 07:37
Anyone here re-applying to Darden?
BSchool Forum Moderator
S
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V50
GPA: 3.4
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 08:48
Hello Dark_Horse

According to my research, almost 60% (averages posted on their website should be sufficient in terms of GMAT score or work experience) of the current class at Darden got a scholarship of some amount. Their scholarship fund has recently increased and if they cannot or do not offer a student a scholarship, they help him or her find funding to finance the degree.

Hope that helps.

Dark_Horse wrote:
billybobish wrote:
Does anyone know how common full-ride scholarships are at Darden? From my research (and past GMATClub posts), it appears that they are fairly common.
Any trends you observe about folks who get scholarship dough? In terms of GMAT score, work exp, extra-currics, other stuff??

If you can dream it, you can do it.

Practice makes you perfect.

Kudos are appreciated.

Darden & Kenan Flagler Thread Master
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 23:11
With the final decision dates drawing closer, EA applications can use this chat to share the pain. I think it officially becomes a Darden chat on Monday, but you can stop by before that!

https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat2.php?fl=menu
BSchool Forum Moderator
S
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 00:12
Amaranth wrote:
With the final decision dates drawing closer, EA applications can use this chat to share the pain. I think it officially becomes a Darden chat on Monday, but you can stop by before that!

This will be fun.

Kudos are appreciated.

S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 00:28
MsInvBanker wrote:
Amaranth wrote:

This will be fun.

I suppose that's one way of putting it :-D
BSchool Forum Moderator
S
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 00:32
Amaranth wrote:
MsInvBanker wrote:
This will be fun.

I suppose that's one way of putting it :-D

Let's all hope for the best. :)

Kudos are appreciated.

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 04:52
I just realised that I completely missed the other pages of this thread! In for R2.
All the best, dear friends for your GMAT, applications and interviews! I hope that I meet you next year.
BSchool Forum Moderator
S
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 06:17
All the best aalekhoza

Kudos are appreciated.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.19

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 08:15
MsInvBanker wrote:
Hello Dark_Horse

According to my research, almost 60% (averages posted on their website should be sufficient in terms of GMAT score or work experience) of the current class at Darden got a scholarship of some amount. Their scholarship fund has recently increased and if they cannot or do not offer a student a scholarship, they help him or her find funding to finance the degree.

Hope that helps.

Dark_Horse wrote:
billybobish wrote:

Thanks for the reply. That's some interesting insight. I remember Dawna Clarke mention in one of the online info session about generous scholarship for EA applicants. Let's see how things pan out.

BTW, how are you guys fighting the wait? I think, I have made peace with whatever the outcome is. I have been disconnected from the MBA world for the past couple of days, hanging out with friends and working.

Regards,
SG
BSchool Forum Moderator
S
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 11:06
Dark_Horse wrote:
BTW, how are you guys fighting the wait? I think, I have made peace with whatever the outcome is. I have been disconnected from the MBA world for the past couple of days, hanging out with friends and working.

Regards,
SG

Everyone has their own way. I am not in that boat yet. I apply in R2.

Kudos are appreciated.

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Calling all UVA Darden MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 17:01
MsInvBanker wrote:
Hello Dark_Horse

Hope that helps.

Dark_Horse wrote:
billybobish wrote:

I can confirm. Darden is a super generous school. I got a full-ride and I am an international FY student from Russia.

Regarding your upcoming decisions. I am chatting with a lot of people from my intake from the different schools. Unless you haven't been admitted to HBS, I would choose Darden. Academic experience is amazing. While people are volunteering at Duke or travelling at Stanford, we're working our asses off. Five classes a week, all core. Plus recruiting. Plus if you are confident enough - a Data Science dual degree. I leave my house at 6am and get back at 11pm everyday. If you really want to learn something and get a high paid job (4th place in terms of salary) Darden is a great place.

And think about Data Science. Gives you additional 2years of STEM opt. And employers are freaked out about it.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Calling all UVA Darden MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 20:13
Quote:
I can confirm. Darden is a super generous school. I got a full-ride and I am an international FY student from Russia.

Regarding your upcoming decisions. I am chatting with a lot of people from my intake from the different schools. Unless you haven't been admitted to HBS, I would choose Darden. Academic experience is amazing. While people are volunteering at Duke or travelling at Stanford, we're working our asses off. Five classes a week, all core. Plus recruiting. Plus if you are confident enough - a Data Science dual degree. I leave my house at 6am and get back at 11pm everyday. If you really want to learn something and get a high paid job (4th place in terms of salary) Darden is a great place.

And think about Data Science. Gives you additional 2years of STEM opt. And employers are freaked out about it.

Thank you so much for your insights, kromay. I guess there is a lot of difference between full-ride and full-tuition and to get the same the overall profile matters a lot, not just a good GMAT score.
Quote:
Plus if you are confident enough - a Data Science dual degree. I leave my house at 6am and get back at 11pm everyday.

The dual degree programs look like a tough job, but not if one is determined. Can you tell us more about entrepreneurial experiences at Darden?

Also, what could be other dual degree options? Getting additional 2 years STEM opt is like a cherry on the cake. It's really beneficial for International students.
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 20:44
According to last year's thread and clearadmit, Darden typically start calling people a day before the deadlines. Hope they follow through with that this year!

EA folk who want to share the pain, feel free to use this chat. Good luck everyone!

https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat2.php
BSchool Forum Moderator
S
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 22:24
kromay wrote:

kromay , I am not denying that Darden is one amazing school but you can't say that the only one superior to it is HBS.

Kudos are appreciated.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Oct 2018, 03:04
MsInvBanker wrote:
kromay wrote:

kromay , I am not denying that Darden is one amazing school but you can't say that the only one superior to it is HBS.

I was on your place one year ago and even applied to Columbia to an Early Round. Thank God they haven't admitted me!!!!! Honestly. There are bunch of schools that are "superior" by their name. I would not deny this fact. Especially for international students who only heard about certain big names. I am telling you that in terms of experience there is hardly one school except for HBS, which is superior to Darden. And the ratings are with that. If you check the info, Darden is #1 school in the world in terms of the academic experience. Your nickname implies that you'll be pursuing the IB job. I met a lot of bankers throughout the process and they told me that Darden grads are way better prepared for the job, than people from other schools, because of the rigor of the program. It's very similar to IB job in terms of work load. I know that you think I am kinda biased. I don't care to be honest which school you choose, but what I say is that my close friend chose another "school of management" instead of Darden and just because of the famous name. We both already realized that it was the biggest mistake in his life. Plus there are some obvious benefits of Darden.

1) 100% case method. Only HBS has the same.
2) Cheapest cost of living among all top schools.
3) Super high chance of securing a scholarship, and with your GMAT, probably even a full-tuition one.
4) The only program with Data Science dual-degree, which gives you additional 2years of STEM (check out the information about Requests of Evidence for international students. It's horrible these days)

Answering other questions. Full-ride = full-tuition. If you meant a full-tuition + a stipend - it's a Jefferson Scholarship, which is only for US students.
Data Science dual degree is amazing, 100% of my class got at least 50% of tuition with many who got their full rides. STEM is not a cherry on a cake, it's a life saving thing if you want to stay in the US. "Requests for evidence" are real. People get relocated from their jobs at the banks and consulting firms because of it.

Regarding Entrepreneurship. I postponed my plans with that, because there is no way you get a working visa in the States for starting your business, so I first need to stay, get my GC and then get back to Entrepreneurship. But generally they have amazing resourses here for that.

And yes, they will call exactly one day before the official letter. Unlike other schools, Darden always calls. I got my call at around 14:00 EST.

Originally posted by kromay on 15 Oct 2018, 02:56.
Last edited by kromay on 15 Oct 2018, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 03:02
Oh and yes. I almost forgot. Darden wants to attract more international students for the next year. Just a note for you in terms of scholarships and stuff. Make sure that your GMAT is higher than 720-730 and go for it.
BSchool Forum Moderator
S
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 03:19
kromay I never said that Darden is not a good school.

I am saying that there are schools, other than HBS, who are better than Darden.

You have done your research and I have done mine.

However, I thank you for sharing all the insight. I am sure many of our applicants will find it helpful. :)

Kudos are appreciated.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 03:35
MsInvBanker wrote:
kromay I never said that Darden is not a good school.

I am saying that there are schools, other than HBS, who are better than Darden.

You have done your research and I have done mine.

However, I thank you for sharing all the insight. I am sure many of our applicants will find it helpful. :)

It's always helpful to make an argument. You should know that after V50 in GMAT :)) Better in terms of what? Academic experience? Clearly not. The name? Yes. Everyone has his/her own values. For you the name might be a value. Maybe you want to get back to your country and there nobody knows what Darden even is. And I am totally with you here. I argue that Darden is the best school in terms of academic experience and ratings support that. What is your argument?

I know way more now that I did a year ago on your place, about all the schools. And I can say that there are "teaching" schools and "research" schools. Term "Research" school means that the professors care about their research way more than about teaching you in class. That's why the schools are lecture based and the professors do not have an open door policy, which means that you can't simply come over to professor's office after class and chat with him/her. Most of your "favorite" top schools are like that. But you'll never know about it during the stage you are currently in. Just read a bit more about that. Reach out to people. Darden is a "teaching" school.

But again, the goals are different for everyone. I know people who don't care about learning. For them MBA is just the ticket to the jobs that they would not otherwise get. And they don't want to work a lot during their time at school but still wanna get a good job. For this purpose there are schools that are better than Darden, I agree. But again, not so many. I would say top-6 are better. Other - doubtably.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.5
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 10:20
Any word yet ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all UVA Darden MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021 &nbs [#permalink] 15 Oct 2018, 10:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11    Next  [ 215 posts ] 

Calling all UVA Darden MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: rohan2345, Amaranth

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap