Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Concentration: Nonprofit, Sustainability
Schools: ISB '23
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Dental Student Studying for GMAT - where should I start? [#permalink]
delmoneyy wrote:
Did you happen to go to UF?

I did not! I go to a school in the Midwest.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
I've been studying for the GMAT for over 500 hours with an official 680 and now scoring closer to 720-730 on my practice tests, so maybe I can lend a little help.

One of the things that has helped me a lot and I think is a must do in DS is the AD BCE breakdown. You need to write this down this matrix on each problem to help maximize your chances at a correct answer. Google this if you are uncertain. Second, i actually feel the DS is a bit easier due to the fact that you can save some time on calculations. It's important to know whether or not you can solve the question, but not to actually do the dirty work like you need to do in PS. One HUGE thing I learned is to always double check what the question asks for. EX: if it says Int, do not forget that and write it down somewhere, same for positive, negative etc. Also, do not forget to test fractions in these problems, both negative and positive to see if a potential solution using those could change your answer.

I spent a good while on all the manhattan books, really locking down where you are weak in. Then I went through the OG (a must do) and did each problem by category type. You can filter in navigator for manhattan. This will further identify weaknesses.

After this I recommend doing some of the manhattan practice tests, but seriously do not take the quant too harshly as it is 2-3 points tougher than the real thing in my opinion. Ex: 44 is really a 46-47 on real thing due to difficulty of questions in manhattan mocks.

To really see where you stand take an official practice tests from GMAC and assess further where you have weaknesses.

These are just my suggestions. It's all about recognizing the patterns of the problems, and this comes with repetition, especially in your weak areas. So do some of the basics and then just do a ton of legit (OG, manhattan, gmatclub) practice problems.

Best of luck,
Michael
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16594 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Thanhtnguyen94

We appreciate the start with 640 (Q 39, V 38) and wish you best luck. The score seems to be decent and well balanced. As you have already collected some books and targeting 730+, we will like to recommend certain key points which will be helpful.Various possible combinations that you should keep in mind to achieve a score of 730 or above are: V37/Q50, V39/Q49, V43/Q45 are some possible combinations.

GMAT is not as easy as we assume. GMAT math is logic, and GMAT verbal is a real test of English as a language. GMAT learning is a continuous process. Initially, you should spend more time on learning basic concepts and try solving as many as questions you can.

Build your math basics with our "Math Review" (5-hour lesson). These videos are for reviewing basic math, including arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and word problems. You may take an online course where you may ask as many questions you have, or you may consider private tutoring as well. A start with Q 38 is good which should be raised to at least Q 45 or above to score 700+.

We will also recommend you to visit our website https://www.mathrevolution.com to :

1. Try our free diagnostic test.
2. Check our free trial pack and free video lesson.
3. Quant Shortcut 51 ( this is must for you ).

Apart from this, what exactly you need:

1. A detailed study plan (We provide a study guide to all our students based on diagnostic test)
2. A unique, alternative approaches to solve quant questions in a short period, thus saving the time of yours and increase accuracy and finally the score.
3. Up-To-Date questions that meet GMAT exam trends. You don’t need to waste your time on outdated questions here and there.
4. An expert to resolve your queries related to Quant sections individually.
5. Regular tests will reflect the positive change in the score, and hence, your confidence will boost up.

Gradually, with the help of mock tests, you will be able to compete with time and hence will be able to learn time-management. So you should keep a proper track of your mock test scores.

Let us know if you have further questions.

You can reach us at info@mathrevolution.com

Success is within your reach.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot