Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 11:47 It is currently 10 May 2024, 11:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Re: Do I have a good chance at Duke? [#permalink]
You still could, there's no harm in trying
You've got work ex
You've got it all

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
khklcc wrote:
Age 31/ male
Undergrad institution: Penn State
Undergrad GPA 3.5
Science major with 6 years of experience in the military (management experience in hospital operations)

Grad GPA 3.65
Master of Public Health degree/ Columbia University

I will be applying with the GRE score.
156V 162Q 4 AWA. Totally blanked out on the AWA section. I only took the exam only once so could take it again..

According to P&Q, it looks like the average GRE score for admitted applicants at Fuqua has been around 318~320 for the past few years.
Would you say that I have a pretty good chance at schools like Fuqua, Johnson and Ross?

I am also a bit confused about how GRE scores are assessed at business schools because my score (318) is only equivalent to 640 on the GMAT according to the ETS conversion chart,
but 318~320 on the GRE is about the average score for those accepted at schools like UNC, UT Austin and USC, whose average GMAT scores are near 700.

khklcc wrote:
Age 31/ male
Undergrad institution: Penn State
Undergrad GPA 3.5
Science major with 6 years of experience in the military (management experience in hospital operations)

Grad GPA 3.65
Master of Public Health degree/ Columbia University

I will be applying with the GRE score.
156V 162Q 4 AWA. Totally blanked out on the AWA section. I only took the exam only once so could take it again..

According to P&Q, it looks like the average GRE score for admitted applicants at Fuqua has been around 318~320 for the past few years.
Would you say that I have a pretty good chance at schools like Fuqua, Johnson and Ross?

I am also a bit confused about how GRE scores are assessed at business schools because my score (318) is only equivalent to 640 on the GMAT according to the ETS conversion chart,
but 318~320 on the GRE is about the average score for those accepted at schools like UNC, UT Austin and USC, whose average GMAT scores are near 700.

At BeenThere, we often think of different aspects of an applicant's application as a "headwind" (a drag on your chances) or "tailwind" (adding probability).

It's certainly possible to get into those schools with that score, but it wouldn't be a tailwind on your application. Most schools indicate that a conversion tool is generally accurate, as the GRE averages are a much smaller percentage of applicants and thus averages are moved more (e.g. medians are a bit higher).

Optimizing your odds would call for a retake. If you'd like to swing for it, it's not impossible to get a shot at those schools, but you'll need to nail the remainder of your application. We've helped folks that have been in your situation before, but it's a bit of spray and pray (finding the one school that your story resonates with) vs. getting into all that you could potentially get into.
GMAT Club Bot