Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 86 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Duke, NYU, UNC, Ross, Tuck for Round 3? [#permalink]
Hello there!

Can you please let us know a bit more about your profile? Intended field, goals, extra-curriculars etc.

Please feel free to drop in a mail on the address below.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
BigGulpsHuh wrote:
After getting several dings, I may want to submit applications to a few more schools. Which of these four schools would have the most spots/highest odds of getting admitted by way of Round 3 application? Thanks!

If you're getting Dings in Round 1 and 2, it's probably not a good idea to apply to Top schools in R3.

Far better than forcing things, would be to take a good hard look at your profile, and have someone review your application. And once you figure out a bit how to improve it for next year, work on that, and prepare a solid R1 application.

Feel free to drop us a line: https://admissionado.com/free-consultati ... n=mba_blog

Best,
Jon
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Send PM
I'd take a step back and think about why you're not getting the results you want. I see you got a 740 on your last GMAT attempt. How is your UG performance? Is your WE lacking? Leadership? Involvement? It could be a number of things, and without taking a closer look at changing your narrative to address your weak spots, you're likely going to continue receiving unfavorable responses. As noted by others on this thread, R3 is tough for top schools and depending on your areas of improvement, you may be better off waiting until next year. However, if there are little things we can help with that can make a huge difference in your overall story, it's worth investigating that too. Let us know if you'd like to chat about how we can help. In the meantime, take a look at some of the work we've done with others at the schools you're interested in here. Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CriticalSquare wrote:
I'd take a step back and think about why you're not getting the results you want. I see you got a 740 on your last GMAT attempt. How is your UG performance? Is your WE lacking? Leadership? Involvement? It could be a number of things, and without taking a closer look at changing your narrative to address your weak spots, you're likely going to continue receiving unfavorable responses. As noted by others on this thread, R3 is tough for top schools and depending on your areas of improvement, you may be better off waiting until next year. However, if there are little things we can help with that can make a huge difference in your overall story, it's worth investigating that too. Let us know if you'd like to chat about how we can help. In the meantime, take a look at some of the work we've done with others at the schools you're interested in here. Best of luck!

U.S. applicant. Sub 3.0 GPA, but everything else about the profile is above average. 740 GMAT, 8 years WE, Multiple Fortune 100 companies on resume, managerial experience, 200k+ income, good letters of recommendations, first generation college graduate, etc.

I believe the dings may be largely due to my undergrad GPA or older age? None of which I can change at this point though. Maybe I'll just either apply to these schools in Round 1 or wait to see how the rest of the results go this year. I guess our past always comes back to haunts us in some way, shape, or form.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: CBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there,

I agree with the feedback above - R3 is really tough from an admissions standpoint and if you got dings from R1 at the top schools, the chances of changing that around in R3 are slim. Of your list, UNC is probably the most likely of the 5 but still a stretch.

Absent further information, I would agree with your initial analysis that your undergrad GPA and higher years of work experience are working against you. Your compensation probably isn't helping your case either since you'll presumably be more expensive (and have higher expectations) for post-MBA hiring firms. (Plus, "% increase in salary post-MBA" factors into many of the rankings, which schools care about.) That's not to focus on the negative, I just wanted to shed a bit more light on what could be going through the adcom's mind as they reviewed your application. With that said, it could still be worth considering applying again next year with the right story - including crystal clear career goals and reasons for needing an MBA now.

Have you also considered EMBA programs? I know the part-time structure is less appealing to some but you might find your profile better suited to those programs, not to mention that your classmates will be more on the same page as you from a career timing standpoint. Another option would be European 1-year MBA programs (such as INSEAD, Cambridge Judge, etc.) which offer an accelerated timeline (which means lower opportunity cost at a time in your career when you're making more money) and are more friendly to older applicants. Whether or not those programs make sense for you also depends on your post-MBA goals, of course.

Anyways, I'm happy to chat through your options with you if that would be helpful. You can sign up for a free consultation through our website in my signature below. Either way, best of luck to you!

Kindly,
Melody
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
BigGulpsHuh wrote:
CriticalSquare wrote:

U.S. applicant. Sub 3.0 GPA, but everything else about the profile is above average. 740 GMAT, 8 years WE, Multiple Fortune 100 companies on resume, managerial experience, 200k+ income, good letters of recommendations, first generation college graduate, etc.

I believe the dings may be largely due to my undergrad GPA or older age? None of which I can change at this point though. Maybe I'll just either apply to these schools in Round 1 or wait to see how the rest of the results go this year. I guess our past always comes back to haunts us in some way, shape, or form.

Okay dude,
I see two problems here:
1. GPA - Top 10 schools have average GPAs of 3.6-3.7. You are a big outlier. Which means if they are gonna take you they have to really want you.
2. Goals/Story - If you are making that much with great experience, and are older, how is an MBA gonna help you? I don't know what goals you presented, so I can't get any deeper than that for the moment. But I see it as a potential issue.

It could also be your essays.

But whatever the case, I haven't seen anything that would justify a R3 application. Instead I'd suggest thinking about how to prepare yourself for an all out blitzkrieg in R1.

Best,
Jon
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Good feedback above but to answer your question as asked. UNC would probably give you the highest likelihood of admission given the comparative competitiveness of the other programs. But overall R3 is tough sledding as stated above
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
Good feedback above but to answer your question as asked. UNC would probably give you the highest likelihood of admission given the comparative competitiveness of the other programs. But overall R3 is tough sledding as stated above

Thank you for the direct response Dozie!
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
BigGulpsHuh wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
BigGulpsHuh wrote:
After getting several dings, I may want to submit applications to a few more schools. Which of these four schools would have the most spots/highest odds of getting admitted by way of Round 3 application? Thanks!

Hi BigGulpsHuh! I am sorry that R1 and 2 have not panned out. If you really want to go R3, I think you are going to have to dip a little lower in the pool- which could still get you where you want to go... I would look at schools like Carlson, Kelley, Pittsburgh, Rochester, Mendoza, etc. Or of course you could really revamp and look at your profile and try for R1. But if age is an issue, of course sooner is better. I can't say much more without seeing the details. If you want a free profile review from us, here is the link to get that started: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/ ... b-visitor/
Everything depends on how stellar profile you have. if you are an international applicant, chances are very bleak for you to get admitted.

In that case, i would suggest appear for Round 1 next year instead of wasting your chances while submitting app in R3.

U.S. applicant. Sub 3.0 GPA, but everything else about the profile is above average. 740 GMAT, Multiple Fortune 100 companies on resume, managerial experience, 200k+ income, good letters of recommendations, first generation college graduate, etc.
GMAT Club Bot