Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3420 [138]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1370 [41]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [39]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3420 [0]
Send PM
Re: Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it [#permalink]
I am in for D- tried to avoid pronoun error, which is there in other choices!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [6]
Send PM
Re: Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it [#permalink]
Kudos
singh_amit19 wrote:
I am in for D- tried to avoid pronoun error, which is there in other choices!

Going with B here.

For D "Now living almost solely in the Rocky Mountains," should be immediately followed by elk.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1161 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Agree with A. In a "which" is modifying the entire clause.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [11]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
singh_amit19 wrote:
Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers, while they once ranged over virtually all of the continental United States except for a small strip in the extreme Southwest.

A. Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers, while
B. The fact that elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains would make it seem that they are mountain dwellers, but
C. It would seem that elk would be mountain dwellers because of their living now solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, but still
D. Now living almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, it would seem that elk were mountain dwellers, although
E. It seems that elk would be mountain dwellers from the fact that they now live solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, since

B.

A: which incorrectly refers to rocky mountains.
C: long awkward phrase. "because of their living" should signal a red flag.
D: Now living almost soley in the rocky mountains... should be followed by the Elk, but the modifier is not so this choice is incorrect.
E: I didn't like this choice because it seemed to change the meaning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
humtum0 wrote:

I see a lot of people going for B...

B. The fact that elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains would make it seem that they are mountain dwellers, but

I would go for B if you can explain who "it" and "they" are referring tooo..

Is elk - singular or plural -- thats my doubt...I see in choice A -- "are" referring to elk ...confuses me a lot.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [3]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
Kudos
singh_amit19 wrote:
Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers, while they once ranged over virtually all of the continental United States except for a small strip in the extreme Southwest.

A. Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers, while
C. It would seem that elk would be mountain dwellers because of their living now solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, but still
D. Now living almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, it would seem that elk were mountain dwellers, although
E. It seems that elk would be mountain dwellers from the fact that they now live solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, since

A: which refers to Rocky Mountains
B: are is correct tense (it would seem that they are mountain dwellers, present tense because of 'elk now live')
C: would be is wrong. still they once ranged makes no sense
D: were is the wrong tense (now living ....it would seem that elk were)
E: would be is wrong. solely almost changes the meaning
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
egmat wrote:
spider wrote:
humtum0 wrote:

I see a lot of people going for B...

I would go for B if you can explain who "it" and "they" are referring tooo..

Is elk - singular or plural -- thats my doubt...I see in choice A -- "are" referring to elk ...confuses me a lot.

Hi there,

This is the sentence with the correct answer choice B:

The fact that elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains would make it seem that they are mountain dwellers, but they once ranged over virtually all of the continental United States except for a small strip in the extreme Southwest.

In this sentence, “it” is not functioning as a proper pronoun. It is rather working as what is called “a placeholder”. For example:

It is very windy today.

In this sentence, “it” is just functioning as a placeholder and thus does not have a definite antecedent. This is the case with the sentence in question as well.

Now, pronoun “they” is referring to “Elk” only. In three out of two choices, “Elk” has been mentioned as plural. This is not uncommon because there are many animals whose plural form does not take “s” at the end. For example: sheep, fish, deer, etc. Also note that the animals belonging to the deer family have the same singular and plural forms. “Elk” happens to be one of them. If you do not know what an “elk” is, read the answer choices. If any of the answer choices has a singular verb to with “Elk” then we may need to see if this entity is singular or plural.
However, in this sentence, it is clear that “elk” has been used as plural entity.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

"Would make it seem" is a kind of idiom? I had never noticed this one before in other questions and was confused when saw it, so eliminated this answer.. It is definitely different from "It is very windi today" example, to be honest) can anyone help with it please?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [5]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Delamax wrote:
"Would make it seem" is a kind of idiom? I had never noticed this one before in other questions and was confused when saw it, so eliminated this answer.. It is definitely different from "It is very windi today" example, to be honest) can anyone help with it please?

Well, According to me Would make it seem is definitely not an idiom.

Also I get confused sometimes in case of usage of pronouns such as "it" and would in-spite going through their rules number of times. However here I guess we can go by meaning wise keeping other confusions to a side.

Since they is used to refer Elk in non underlined portion it is correct.
The intended meaning is since Elk live solely in R mountains, they seem to be mountain dwellers.

which refers to Rocky mountains thereby causing meaning error.
This sentence seems to mean that Rocky mountains seem that elk are mountain dwellers.

here it refers to fact and the meaning is intended one with sequence of events and contrast in meaning is correctly indicated with but.

Because of is used wrongly here. The sentence that elk would be mountain dwellers is itself wrong.
And here it is mentioned that elk would be mountain dwellers due to their living.
solely almost ALSO GIVES OTHERWISE MEANING.
still ruins the contrast indicated by but also makes it seem redundant.

who lives in Rocky mountains is not ambiguous.
were changes the meaning completely.

E. It seems that elk would be mountain dwellers from the fact that they now live
solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, since

The sentence that elk would be mountain dwellers is itself wrong. Same error as in C.
since gives reason instead of contrast in meaning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Hi Experts,

I got this question correct but I'm trying to understand some of the nuances here.

1) Usage of almost solely - In the correct choice, almost modifies solely and suggests that they are almost alone/on their own in rocky mountains. But in choices C and D, 'solely almost' flips the modifier relationship. Now, in latter, solely modifies almost though I'm still struggling what would that mean. Does my reasoning sound accurate?

2) Usage of seem - We have a split of seem vs seems in certain options though it may not be a decisive split. I would like to understand how is seem accurate in B? If I replace it with seems in B because the subject is "The fact" i.e singular, sentence does look awkward but I don't know the exact reasoning of choosing seem vs seems in both B and other choices?

I'll really appreciate if experts could pitch in with their thoughts on this.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [6]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos