It is currently 19 Aug 2017, 09:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

EMBA advise

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

EMBA advise [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 04:14
Hello,

I'm from defence background with nearly 10 years of experience (by end 2018). I am looking for MBA in the year 2019, preferably Executive. To be precise, I have completed Bachelor of Engineering (Elec & Telecomm) and MTech (Aerospace). I am from naval aviation background, an aviation engineer. I have experience from field operations, projects, HR management like most of defence people have.
Personally, I wish to enter into strategic/planning management. I would love to work in defence aerospace private sector.

Can you suggest me right path, some MBA program that will help me build on my experience, open opportunities into defence aerospace or program that suits my background ?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 0

Schools: CBS '13 (A)
Re: EMBA advise [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 18:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out! I agree that with your years of work experience, an EMBA is likely going to be the best fit – so I’m glad that you’re starting your research there. Most EMBA programs are part-time (with the exception of Sloan Fellows, for example), which means that geography and logistics may be a constraint for you as you’ll have to attend classes and other events in person throughout the year while you continue working in your job. As you consider which programs to apply to, I would urge you to keep that in mind – getting on a plane and travelling across the country (if you live in US) every weekend might not be ideal for you. As for your desired career goals, it sounds like you want to stay in your same industry but are looking to switch functions. To be completely honest with you, EMBA programs are typically not set up to facilitate major career changes – there is no internship period or formal on-campus recruiting process. In your case, your goals seem reasonable but will depend on you leveraging your network to find those jobs and use your EMBA to showcase you’re management material. I say all this because as you decide which schools you want to apply to, it would make sense to also consider what companies you want to work for after graduation. For example, if you wanted to join Lockheed Martin in a strategic planning role, it might make sense to target schools in the VA/MD/DC area (near the company headquarters).

In general, your work experience and career progression, and to a lesser extent your GMAT score, will be key in determining the caliber of the EMBA that you’ll have a good chance of getting into. The top programs such as Wharton, Booth, Kellogg, etc. will greatly open up your options but are also very competitive. I suggest checking out their class profiles (available on the school websites) to see if they would be a good fit for you.

Best of luck to you! Feel free to reach out if you have more specific questions about your profile + certain schools!

Kindly,
Melody

Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting
http://www.vantagepointadmissions.com
MBA Admissions Consulting: Reimagined
Contact us for a Free Consultation!

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2017, 08:51
That's an interesting reply! thank you. Indeed, you explained it well.

well, I currently live in India. I would not go for part time MBA or online MBA. I want to do full time EMBA. As you brought out, networking is the key and I request guidance on such issues when selecting B-schools for application.

You gave right example, I would love to work with lockheed, boeing, airbus etc. How do I get into strategic planning there ? Since I am from defence background, how do you see major career changes for me? ( in fact, it is kind of major change for me !)

Expert Post
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Schools: CBS '13 (A)

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2017, 13:56
Hi again,

Unfortunately, nearly all EMBA programs are part-time as they are geared towards mid-career professionals who typically don't want to leave their jobs and forego income to further their education. An exception to that is the Sloan Fellows programs at MIT, LBS, and Stanford (aka MSx program), which are 1-year full-time programs after which you graduate with an MSc in Management (except for MIT which also offers an MBA). I suggest checking out those programs to see if you qualify.

As for navigating a career switch at this stage, I expect that an EMBA/MBA will help but it will still rely on you doing the leg work of networking, identifying the roles that will be a good fit for you, and securing the interview. I find LinkedIn to be a great resource for this kind of discovery - finding folks who are currently in the job(s) that you're targeting, seeing their career paths, and then identifying what's missing from yours. Then you'll know what you need to do next.

I hope that helps! Best of luck to you!

Kindly,
Melody

Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting
http://www.vantagepointadmissions.com
MBA Admissions Consulting: Reimagined
Contact us for a Free Consultation!

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: EMBA advise   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2017, 13:56