GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 17:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Oct 2018, 21:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

38% (01:23) correct 62% (00:53) wrong based on 1051 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.

A. For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.

B. Considering all their financial troubles, the Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people, with 32 million unique viewers alone in the United States every month.

C. With all its financial troubles, the Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.

D. Given all their financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been read by more people, nearly 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.

E. Even considering their financial troubles, the Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.

Originally posted by akashaggarwal88 on 02 May 2013, 21:27.
Last edited by Bunuel on 04 Oct 2018, 21:42, edited 4 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Oct 2016, 06:21
First, let’s get rid of the ungrammatical fluff; Choices B, D and E are out because of SV mismatch. Between A and C, the reversed sentence in A is more appropriate because it brings the contrast well by saying ‘for all its financial troubles’, meaning in spite of its financial troubles. Because of reversal, the modification may seem somewhat out of track, but that is a style of writing. C on the contrary by toeing the same direction rather than attempting to espouse the contrast, is an inferior expression, since, with carries a notion of physical carrying

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 02 May 2013, 23:59.
Last edited by daagh on 28 Oct 2016, 06:21, edited 1 time in total.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2013, 10:45
Here is the official explanation from Veritas

Answer A - Verb inversion (when the verb is put before the subject) is a common trick used by testmakers to make sentences confusing. In this example there is a good reason to invert the verb: “Never has the Wall Street Journal been read by more people”conveys clearly that at no point in the past has it been read more. If you write “The Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people” it could mean the there is a new record for the number of people who have never read it!!!

(A) is thus correct – it starts with a structure “For all its financial troubles…” and follows with the inverted structure to show that even though there are financial problems, lots of people are reading it. (B), (D), and (E) are incorrect because the plural pronoun “their” has no logical antecedent.

(C) is more difficult to eliminate but contains two distinct errors. first, it does not invert the verb and thus suffers from the meaning ambiguity discussed previously. Secondly, there is not the necessary contrast in the beginning. It would need to say “Even with the financial problems…lots of people are reading it” Using “with” suggests that people are reading it because of the financial troubles. Answer is (A).
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2013, 21:52
For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month . -->For is required to show the reason.Subject and verb agreement is proper.

Considering all their financial troubles, the Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people, with 32 million unique viewers alone in the United States every month.--> Subject verb agreement error

With all its financial troubles, the Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.---> changes the meaning .Placement of never is wrong.

Given all their financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been read by more people, nearly 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.--> Subject verb agreement error

Even considering their financial troubles, the Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.--> Subject verb agreement error

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2013, 23:54
Please explain why Option C is incorrect:

With all its financial troubles, the Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2013, 04:51
saikarthikreddy wrote:
A For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month . -->For is required to show the reason.Subject and verb agreement is proper.

Does it mean that so many people read the Wall Street Journal because it has financial troubles?

saikarthikreddy wrote:
C With all its financial troubles, the Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.---> changes the meaning .Placement of never is wrong.

Why you say placement of "never" is wrong?
"With" is used here in the meaning of "despite". The only bad thing about this sentence is it does differ in meaning from the original A.

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

Manager
Manager
Schools: ESADE '16, HKU'16, SMU '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2015, 01:16
chetan2u , souvik101990 Can u plz help out to distinguish between A & C ?
My understanding is that in 'C' 'With all its financial troubles' means the Wall Street Journal is read alongwith its financial trouble. This is in contrast to the original intended meaning of the sentence. I fail to see how 'with.. troubles' is showing contrast.

Your help is very much appreciated.
Thanks!
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2015, 06:31
sytabish wrote:
chetan2u , souvik101990 Can u plz help out to distinguish between A & C ?
My understanding is that in 'C' 'With all its financial troubles' means the Wall Street Journal is read alongwith its financial trouble. This is in contrast to the original intended meaning of the sentence. I fail to see how 'with.. troubles' is showing contrast.

Your help is very much appreciated.
Thanks!

hi styabish,
with the choices available, i too would go for A....
you are correct that 'with...' clause is not showing contrast and means exactly what you have mentioned and that is the reason why A should be the answer, although apart from meaning, part C is correct that the "with..." correctly modifies the wall street journal and in A, we have to make a link deliberately between 'its' in first dependent clause and TWSJ since the sentence is ...
Option A: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month..... never has separates TWSJ from comma...
reason is in A, there is nothing else the possessive 'its ' can refer to....

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manhattan Prep Instructor

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2015, 15:04
The pronoun issue here is one that would likely not be tested on the GMAT because in some areas of the world WSJ could correctly take "their" as a pronoun. The GMAC has stated they will try to stay away from issues like this...

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2016, 13:50
Hello Verbal Expert,

Why C is a wrong choice? Why the intended meaning got changed in C? For me, A is very awkward, so I rejected choice A without even looking at any answer choice. Please advise.
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2016, 05:42
AR15J wrote:
Hello Verbal Expert,

Why C is a wrong choice? Why the intended meaning got changed in C? For me, A is very awkward, so I rejected choice A without even looking at any answer choice. Please advise.

A implies: WSJ may have been read by more people before, but for some other reason, not for its financial troubles. For its financial troubles this is the first time it is read by so many people.

C implies: WSJ is read by maximum people this time; never before has it been read by so many people - it also has its financial troubles this time.

However in real GMAT more serious issues would generally differentiate a wrong answer from a right.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 09:48
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been &nbs [#permalink] 04 Oct 2018, 09:48

For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap