Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [4]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [0]
Given Kudos: 1283
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
Send PM
Forbes 2019 MBA Rankings: Booth #1, HBS#4, Wharton #5 [#permalink]
bb Do you know whether Adcoms consider pre-MBA salary in making admission decisions? I imagine schools will like to publish a wide range between pre-MBA and post-MBA salaries. Could someone with a pre-MBA salary that is say $15-25 K below the school’s average post-MBA salary get a ding even if other things (test score, recommendation, non-traditional experience check out?

Thanks!

Originally posted by bebs on 18 Sep 2019, 11:42.
Last edited by bebs on 18 Sep 2019, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
The fast and short answer is it depends. The salary is helpful to understand once professional standing or achievement. Showing a high salary With a non-exciting title can indicate great accomplishment. Also different companies sometimes a very generous with titles. Every bank branch seems to have a vice president working at it. Probably making 60 gran with a non-exciting title can indicate great accomplishment. Also different companies sometimes a very generous with titles. Every bank branch seems to have a vice president working at it, probably making 60k a year. Does having a salary provides a general idea to the admissions committee where one fits in compared to their peers. Obviously there’s a lot of variance in terms of countries, and even within the United States.

I would argue that your pre-MBA salary is likely a good indicator about your post MBA performance.

I think those are the primary ways that admissions committees look at the salaries. I think it’s better to have a higher salary than a lower one although there are always discrepancies between different industries and you were evaluated with your peers from your industry and your location.

So if you have a nontraditional industry, as long as you are ranking high within that bracket, you don’t have to worry about competing with consultants or Facebook software engineers.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [0]
Given Kudos: 1283
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
Send PM
This is really helpful. I guess my thoughts are all over the place because of the dings I got during the last application round. I reached out to ethe admissions team at my 1st choice program and was told my score, especially the quant score, was the main culprit, but I have been wondering whether there was something else they didn't tell me. Back to study mode now.

Thanks, BB.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: Forbes 2019 MBA Rankings: Booth #1, HBS#4, Wharton #5 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Nobody’s application is perfect and you can always improve something in everything and part of the application experience is deciding what it is that you will improve and what will have the biggest impact. It sounds like the admissions person gave you some clarity and what to focus on. I would focus on that.

While you may have other issues in your application, nobody else is perfect either and I would probably tackle issues based on the ROI. For example, one may have a low GPA and it would be very helpful to tackle it but it would also be very hard so I would rated as a low to medium ROI. At the same time tweaking a resume or Pushing one’s boss for a promotion or even title change may have medium value but low effort so ROI is high.

See what gives the best ROI and focus on it. Taken into consideration that somethings may have a long lead time such as title changes of promotions you need to do your goals, strengths and weaknesses review every XXX (three or so) months to review results and plan your goals for the next XXX months.

MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Here's an overview of top gainers and losers in the latest Forbes rankings. A handful of surprises this time..
  • Booth captures top spot for the first time.
  • USC Marshall continues its spectacular performance in MBA rankings: Went from #33 to #21 in current ranking. Improvement of 14 places in US News rankings over the last 3 years and 17 places in the latest Businessweek rankings.
  • Wharton slides from top position to #5.

See full rankings chart here.

Attachment:
Forbes19 Gainers Losers.png
Forbes19 Gainers Losers.png [ 24.14 KiB | Viewed 6983 times ]
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
I don't really have much respect for Forbes rankings. They are a publishing company, and they are shaking $hit up to get attention, clicks and traffic. If they went along with Business Week, USN, etc their rankings would not make a splash as they do. They are the maverick. That is their positioning in the rankings marketplace.

Apparently Wharton EMBA did not want to deal with them for some reason and so the Wharton EMBA program went unranked!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Is Fordham mba better than Baruch’s?

GMAT Club Bot