Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:18 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Re: Fuqua Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Dear all,

Please evaluate my profile for 2020 intake

Personal profile: 25 years, female, Indian

Academic background:
Msc.(Hons.) Mathematics and B.E. Hons(Mechanical) from BITS PILANI PILANI CAMPUS (Tier -1 college which ranks at par with IIT's)
10th from CBSE: 92.7%
12th from CBSE: 91.4%
GMAT: Total score : 710 (Q50 V35 AWA 4.5 and IR 8)

Professional background:
Quant Analyst in financial services risk mananagement in one of the big four accounting firms.
Worked as a consultant to major US banks for developing their internal models as per latest FRTB regulations.
Performed annual model review for credit, market models as per SR11-7 regulations.

Extracurriculars :Organized cultural events of a regional association as the secretary , conducted several events during cultural fests as the joint coordinator of a club.

Total Work experience: 22 months (as on May 2019)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Re: Fuqua Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Sam4u wrote:
Dear all,

Please evaluate my profile for 2020 intake

Personal profile: 25 years, female, Indian

Academic background:
Msc.(Hons.) Mathematics and B.E. Hons(Mechanical) from BITS PILANI PILANI CAMPUS (Tier -1 college which ranks at par with IIT's)
10th from CBSE: 92.7%
12th from CBSE: 91.4%
GMAT: Total score : 710 (Q50 V35 AWA 4.5 and IR 8)

Professional background:
Quant Analyst in financial services risk mananagement in one of the big four accounting firms.
Worked as a consultant to major US banks for developing their internal models as per latest FRTB regulations.
Performed annual model review for credit, market models as per SR11-7 regulations.

Extracurriculars :Organized cultural events of a regional association as the secretary , conducted several events during cultural fests as the joint coordinator of a club.

Total Work experience: 22 months (as on May 2019)

Hi Sam4U,

If you are planning to apply to several b-schools, including in the US and India, I will suggest you take another shot at GMAT and get your score up to 730+.
Your work experience sounds relevant for MBA programs although you will still have to write meaningful career goals to present a career story coherent with your work experience so far.

You don't seem to have any ECAs over the past two years since you have been working. Now, this is an important component in the MBA applications, esp. at the US MBAs where b-schools place importance on a rounded personality, so this is an area you should try to improve in.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Harvard, Fuqua, MIT, McK, PwC
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
gofhddl94

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your post.

I am a Fuqua graduate and have successfully helped many candidates in the application process over the last 7 years.

Here are my thoughts-
1. You have a good chance of making it to the interview rounds.
- Your GMAT Score is within the expected range, for applicants with Quantitative backgrounds (i.e. Auditing in you case)
- PwC recruits heavily at the school and having the PwC name on your resume increases your chances of landing a top-tier job
2. Your "low GPA" will impact your candidacy if you do not explain the reasons behind it in your application.
Your candidacy will be evaluated in its entirety (your GPA is only a part of it) and it behooves you to-
- Explain why your GPA is on the lower side of the curve (Your school grades students more strictly etc.)
- Make sure you provide reasons that show your low GPA will not be a hindrance to you excelling in school coursework
3. Your chances of success will not be impacted by your citizenship.

Let me know if you want to talk about this and I will be happy to share more thoughts with you.

AB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Hi Everyone,
can you please evaluate my profile for Duke? It seems a bit of a stretch to even think about it , but its my dream and i am a very hopeful person.

Native: Indian , Male , 32
Back ground: Merchant Navy, started my career in 2009 at the rank of Trainee Marine Engineer, appeared for promotional exam conducted by DG shipping india , became 4 th engineer and now serving as 3rd
Engineer promoted based on the sailing experience, VLCC oil Tankers.
Current employer: wallem shipmanagement hongkong
International experience: 15 countries atleast; USA, china, Vietnam, Venezuela, Ukraine, Kuwait, Iraq, UAE, Southafrica,
Singapore, Turkey, south Korea, Indonesia, Netherlands,Egypt
Sailing experience: 5 years aprrox( our contractual sailing period lasts for 6+-1 months per year , so from 2009 to
2018 in 10 years we get sailing experience exactly half of it )
Academics: B.tech marine engineering (MIT,pune) 62%( ~2.3 gpa)
12th( CBSE,KV) 76%, topper in Math with 96 in school
10th (CBSE, KV) 75%, math 90/100, science 89/100, english 78/100
GMAT 710 (V39, Q49)
Extra curricular: Guitar player, performed on few stage shows
Worked with NGo back in 2011, In 2012 i reactivated my mothers dormant NGO and have been
contributing ever since
Hiker,Trekker(went on solo expedition to himalayas, mostly to places untouched by human
presence)
Working out to summit the Everest.
college Volleyball and Badminton Player.
MBA: Supply chain demand and logistics,
future goals: i want to enter in the procurement sector for Multinationals shipping and Non shipping sector. Also
i want to establish a regular logistic route to supply products available to every other part of world in
to remote places in countires such as,indonesia,india(north-
north east), and Some places in Africa and south america.

Thank you!
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
rajatvermaenator wrote:
Hi Everyone,
can you please evaluate my profile for Duke? It seems a bit of a stretch to even think about it , but its my dream and i am a very hopeful person.

Native: Indian , Male , 32
Back ground: Merchant Navy, started my career in 2009 at the rank of Trainee Marine Engineer, appeared for promotional exam conducted by DG shipping india , became 4 th engineer and now serving as 3rd
Engineer promoted based on the sailing experience, VLCC oil Tankers.
Current employer: wallem shipmanagement hongkong
International experience: 15 countries atleast; USA, china, Vietnam, Venezuela, Ukraine, Kuwait, Iraq, UAE, Southafrica,
Singapore, Turkey, south Korea, Indonesia, Netherlands,Egypt
Sailing experience: 5 years aprrox( our contractual sailing period lasts for 6+-1 months per year , so from 2009 to
2018 in 10 years we get sailing experience exactly half of it )
Academics: B.tech marine engineering (MIT,pune) 62%( ~2.3 gpa)
12th( CBSE,KV) 76%, topper in Math with 96 in school
10th (CBSE, KV) 75%, math 90/100, science 89/100, english 78/100
GMAT 710 (V39, Q49)
Extra curricular: Guitar player, performed on few stage shows
Worked with NGo back in 2011, In 2012 i reactivated my mothers dormant NGO and have been
contributing ever since
Hiker,Trekker(went on solo expedition to himalayas, mostly to places untouched by human
presence)
Working out to summit the Everest.
college Volleyball and Badminton Player.
MBA: Supply chain demand and logistics,
future goals: i want to enter in the procurement sector for Multinationals shipping and Non shipping sector. Also
i want to establish a regular logistic route to supply products available to every other part of world in
to remote places in countires such as,indonesia,india(north-
north east), and Some places in Africa and south america.

Thank you!

Hi,

You should definitely apply a dream college (you will never know unless you try). If you'd really wish to go to Fuqua, apply in the early decision deadline. If you get an admit it will all be over for you by mid October, and I thinks that's the beauty of Fuqua's early decision deadline.

You'd be among the older applicants at business school, and Fuqua is a good choice there. I would also encourage you to consider some programs that specialize in supply chain management- Carey, MSU Broad, Purdue being among the most famous ones. your GMAT is just about ok. If you can retake, then it would be great, especially if you are applying to other higher ranked programs.

In your work experience, you must show your leadership ability, initiative taking and achievements and impact. I am aware that a shipping job requires one to think on one's feet, take quick decision and handle pressure situations. These should help you come up with some interesting experiences. It will be nice if you show that you keep yourself gainfully employed for the time when you are not sailing. One of our past applicants for example, managed his coffee plantation during his cooling off days, thus learning to run a business. In your case, it could be substantial work done for the NGO you revived - just giving some ideas here.

Reach out if you'd like to discuss your profile in more details.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.3
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Applying from Canada for 2020, Big 4 audit background with CPA. Trying to figure out what kind of chance I have for my reach schools (Cornell and Duke)

Background and nationality:
- 26M, Canadian (Filipino ethnicity)
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA)
- (Projected): potentially taking CFA Level 1 (very common in finance industry in Canada it seems like)

Undergrad Information:
- Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), double major in Accounting and Finance
- 3.3/4.0 (converted from 3.7/4.5)
- I should note there's a downward trend in last two years (2.8/4.0 last year, 3.0/4.0 last two years). ECs were all in last two years and wanted to focus being a more well-rounded student, not sure how bad this looks to adcoms. I know Rotman requires a 3.0 in last year so I'm worried about this

GMAT:
710 (Q48 V39 IR3 AWA?)
- IR score is low but my previous two attempts I scored an 8 and 5 so I think having that on my score report offsets the low 3
- Just wrote this past weekend so haven't gotten my AWA yet, I scored 5 and 6 on my first two attempts

Work experience and leadership:
- 2.5 years Big 4 Audit (3.5 years if you include university co-op terms - can these be included in WE?). Promotion to Senior, high ratings and excellent reviews, lead senior on largest client in the office ($700M revenues, $1B market cap), performed audit work over two acquisitions and multiple equity/debenture offerings
- 1 year Financial Reporting Manager in a publicly traded company in the newspaper/media industry, implemented new accounting standards for investments and lease accounting, not a lot of other career accomplishments in this role
- (Projected): potentially looking for a new job that is more related to finance (ie. FP&A, TAS, Valuations, investment analyst) to have something tangible that shows my commitment to the career pivot

Community and others:
Current:
- Board Director at a charity that provides food access/security/policy
- Treasurer at an animal welfare charity that helps find lost dogs
- Finance Committee member at a non-profit youth employment services organization
Undergrad:
- Vice President for co-op students association
- Corporate Events Coordinator for accounting students association
- Business case competition team member (we won school of the year)

Post MBA goals
- Investment banking (post-MBA associate at big 5 Canadian banks or boutique firm) or corporate finance

Anything else?
Targets: Rotman, Ivey, Schulich, Queen's
Far Reach: Cornell Johnson, Duke Fuqua

Questions:
- Is my low GPA an issue when applying?
- Do co-op terms count towards WE?
- Should I take CFA level 1?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
mangubaj wrote:
Applying from Canada for 2020, Big 4 audit background with CPA. Trying to figure out what kind of chance I have for my reach schools (Cornell and Duke)

Background and nationality:
- 26M, Canadian (Filipino ethnicity)
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA)
- (Projected): potentially taking CFA Level 1 (very common in finance industry in Canada it seems like)

Undergrad Information:
- Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), double major in Accounting and Finance
- 3.3/4.0 (converted from 3.7/4.5)
- I should note there's a downward trend in last two years (2.8/4.0 last year, 3.0/4.0 last two years). ECs were all in last two years and wanted to focus being a more well-rounded student, not sure how bad this looks to adcoms. I know Rotman requires a 3.0 in last year so I'm worried about this

GMAT:
710 (Q48 V39 IR3 AWA?)
- IR score is low but my previous two attempts I scored an 8 and 5 so I think having that on my score report offsets the low 3
- Just wrote this past weekend so haven't gotten my AWA yet, I scored 5 and 6 on my first two attempts

- 2.5 years Big 4 Audit (3.5 years if you include university co-op terms - can these be included in WE?). Promotion to Senior, high ratings and excellent reviews, lead senior on largest client in the office ($700M revenues, $1B market cap), performed audit work over two acquisitions and multiple equity/debenture offerings
- 1 year Financial Reporting Manager in a publicly traded company in the newspaper/media industry, implemented new accounting standards for investments and lease accounting, not a lot of other career accomplishments in this role
- (Projected): potentially looking for a new job that is more related to finance (ie. FP&A, TAS, Valuations, investment analyst) to have something tangible that shows my commitment to the career pivot

Community and others:
Current:
- Board Director at a charity that provides food access/security/policy
- Treasurer at an animal welfare charity that helps find lost dogs
- Finance Committee member at a non-profit youth employment services organization
Undergrad:
- Vice President for co-op students association
- Corporate Events Coordinator for accounting students association
- Business case competition team member (we won school of the year)

Post MBA goals
- Investment banking (post-MBA associate at big 5 Canadian banks or boutique firm) or corporate finance

Anything else?
Targets: Rotman, Ivey, Schulich, Queen's
Far Reach: Cornell Johnson, Duke Fuqua

Questions:
- Is my low GPA an issue when applying?
- Do co-op terms count towards WE?
- Should I take CFA level 1?

Hi Mangubai,

I'll answer your questions first and then give you my analyses of a few other things:
1. Your overall GPA looks alright, albeit on the lower side of the 80% range of top programs such as Duke and Cornell. If you have solid reasons for the downfall of the grades in the last two years, it would be worth an explanation in the optional essay. It would be better to own your mistake and say how you learned a lesson for the future about time and priority management etc., rather than giving excuses.
2. I am not familiar with the term co-op, but I did a quick online search. As I understand it, its not full-time experience, so it would not be right to count it with the full time experience in your resume and application form - that can be considered as misleading and it may call for an explanation by the adcom at a later date. That's an avoidable situation as you don't want to plant unnecessary doubts in their minds.
However, you can still present it as an internship/ co-op in the resume/online forms. I see an added advantage here. While you may use the optional essay to say that you were discovering your other extracurricular strengths and hence the grades dipped, it comes across as a little irresponsible of you to do so (generally students do this in the first two years of their undergrad, when there is less pressure on the career front). However, if you say that you were working during this period and gaining practical experience, then it sounds a lot better and more reasonable for the adcom to pass.
3. The CFA is a professional degree. You should do it only if it helps in your career, not to impress the adcom. Also, be aware that some MBA programs have an alliance with the CFA institute (Ivey, Queen's, Schulich and Cornell are part of this affiliation. Read more here.
Coming back to the academic evaluation, I have a suggestion for you. Both your GPA and GMAT are average for the American programs on your radar. It may be worthwhile getting one of them up. You could do an MBA MAth course- which is basically a pre-MBA course in accounting, finance, stats and economics, which will help you show your capabilities in these subject and hence your preparedness for the MBA. Another advice- you must also address your quantitative chops through various parts of your application.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.3
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:
mangubaj wrote:
Hi Mangubai,

I'll answer your questions first and then give you my analyses of a few other things:
1. Your overall GPA looks alright, albeit on the lower side of the 80% range of top programs such as Duke and Cornell. If you have solid reasons for the downfall of the grades in the last two years, it would be worth an explanation in the optional essay. It would be better to own your mistake and say how you learned a lesson for the future about time and priority management etc., rather than giving excuses.
2. I am not familiar with the term co-op, but I did a quick online search. As I understand it, its not full-time experience, so it would not be right to count it with the full time experience in your resume and application form - that can be considered as misleading and it may call for an explanation by the adcom at a later date. That's an avoidable situation as you don't want to plant unnecessary doubts in their minds.
However, you can still present it as an internship/ co-op in the resume/online forms. I see an added advantage here. While you may use the optional essay to say that you were discovering your other extracurricular strengths and hence the grades dipped, it comes across as a little irresponsible of you to do so (generally students do this in the first two years of their undergrad, when there is less pressure on the career front). However, if you say that you were working during this period and gaining practical experience, then it sounds a lot better and more reasonable for the adcom to pass.
3. The CFA is a professional degree. You should do it only if it helps in your career, not to impress the adcom. Also, be aware that some MBA programs have an alliance with the CFA institute (Ivey, Queen's, Schulich and Cornell are part of this affiliation. Read more here.
Coming back to the academic evaluation, I have a suggestion for you. Both your GPA and GMAT are average for the American programs on your radar. It may be worthwhile getting one of them up. You could do an MBA MAth course- which is basically a pre-MBA course in accounting, finance, stats and economics, which will help you show your capabilities in these subject and hence your preparedness for the MBA. Another advice- you must also address your quantitative chops through various parts of your application.

Thanks for the reply, definitely helpful insight.

1. My main reasons related to my undergrad extracurricular activities, I was involved in my co-op students association and practicing for my business case competition which took away a lot of my studying time in my last year/two years. Do you think this is a solid enough justification if I say I learned a lot about time management?
2. Ok this is what I thought as well. I currently indicate it as co-op experience on my resume, but now I know it doesn't count towards full-time work experience.
3. My post-MBA goals are IB, but I eventually want to be able to work in PE, which from my knowledge, would be helpful in that area of finance

Interesting, haven't' considered taking a pre-MBA math course. Would this actually be useful at all considering my undergrad is already in accounting and finance?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi folks,
It would be great if those reading could drop a few feedback comments on my profile.
Applying for MBA schools in USA starting Fall 2020.

Demographic : India, Male (25 y/o)
Education : Computer Sci Engg in a top 20 undergrad school (GPA: 9.04/10 | 3.62/4)
Work Ex : 4 years by 2020. Work in a supremely blue-chip US bank building trading platforms used by global traders to book exotic financial products. Experience leading cross-functional and cross-regional teams.
GMAT : 740 (Q51/V40) | IR : 8 | AWA : 5
Leadership : Multiple and good examples at work and in college.
Hobbies : Current Affairs junkie, debater, public speaker. Honed communication skills through multiple avenues.
Community work : Okayish efforts @ work. Nothing outside it.
Goals : Strategy consulting immediately post MBA (data driven decision sciences track)
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi desozat,

Thank you for your post. Your academics are solid. Your work experience seems solid too, albeit I have very little information to work with. I recommend you focus presenting a clear connection between your work in building trading platforms and your post MBA goals. While I understand sometimes it's difficult to be engaged in your community, it is vital that you demonstrate community building tendencies. If you feel your community engagements have not been strong, we recommend you address this in the optional essay. You are on the younger end of the average MBA class and suggest you are mindful of showcasing your readiness for an MBA. I hope this helps.

Happy to discuss your profile further. If interested, please reach out to coordinate a call.

Good luck!

desozat wrote:
Hi folks,
It would be great if those reading could drop a few feedback comments on my profile.
Applying for MBA schools in USA starting Fall 2020.

Demographic : India, Male (25 y/o)
Education : Computer Sci Engg in a top 20 undergrad school (GPA: 9.04/10 | 3.62/4)
Work Ex : 4 years by 2020. Work in a supremely blue-chip US bank building trading platforms used by global traders to book exotic financial products. Experience leading cross-functional and cross-regional teams.
GMAT : 740 (Q51/V40) | IR : 8 | AWA : 5
Leadership : Multiple and good examples at work and in college.
Hobbies : Current Affairs junkie, debater, public speaker. Honed communication skills through multiple avenues.
Community work : Okayish efforts @ work. Nothing outside it.
Goals : Strategy consulting immediately post MBA (data driven decision sciences track)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
Hello!

Requesting a profile evaluation please.

Background and nationality: Female, Indian

Undergrad Information:
Graduated with a 9.0 of 10 CGPA from a non-IIT college in India.
I topped my university in my first year of Information Science branch beating around 2500 students and securing a maximum grade of S in 11/12 subjects. As a result of this I got a merit seat in Computer Science and then went onto complete the remaining 3 years of my undergrad as a computer science student.
(Information Science and Computer Science are essentially the same branches in India with almost the same curriculum - Computer Science is slightly on the tougher side)
I interned with a local IT company in my second year of engineering.
I was an active volunteer for 1.5 years at a well known NGO - I taught Math and Science to the students of Grade 8, 9 and 10.
An active volunteer at college cultural events too throughout my undergrad.

GMAT: 700 - I really need help deducing if this will get me through top US colleges!

In my last semester of undergrad - I interned for 6 months with a Fortune 100 US company and landed a job with them. Been working with them for the past 4 years in the capacity of a software developer.
I was promoted to Senior Associate in my second year and to Manager in my third year with them.
I lead the Scrum/Agile process for the team and am always the talking point when it comes to interacting with the US counterparts.
I am very well known throughout the global team to be able to multi-manage and communicate effortlessly. I usually lead all the team calls and am always depended most upon to manage the team dynamics.
I am also known to be extremely creative and won the best creative team award for my team at one of our Global events.
I am active member with the firm's Toastmasters club and have served on its club officers group for a year (as a Vice President of PR and as Club Secretary)
I have participated in public speaking competitions(won second place at Division level), hosted events(hosted the area and Division events in my city), mentored folks (mainly involves honing their public speaking and leadership skills by providing constructive feedback/evaluations for every project/level they complete and guiding them structure and prepare their speeches) all over my city. I mentor about 25 people within my home club. I have completed the first level of toastmasters international and am currently in the advanced level. I have been recognized with a special award for my exemplary contribution to Toastmasters as a mentor and as a fellow toastmaster.

Colleges I aim for are the top 20. I understand this is the exclusive thread for Duke - since Duke appears in the top 20 I chose to post here first.

All suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Could you kindly review my profile for the 2019-2020 admission cycle?
I apologize for the very lengthy post.

My profile/stats:

* 28 this year, Southeast Asian (Chinese) based in Singapore
* GMAT: 710 (Q49, V36, IR7); first "blind" attempt; will be looking aiming for 750-770.
* GPA: 3.1/4.0; one of the top colleges/target schools in Singapore, this is my primary concern
* No. of WE: 3 years as of now (started upon graduation in May 2016).
>> Spent 1 year in the wealth management division (front office sales) of a tier1 US bank
>> Was a top performer and earmarked for promotion at the end of the year
>> However, I have always wanted to work in financial markets. Hence, I left for a tier2 investment bank after 1 year of cold calling
>> Joined on contract. Performance was good and they created a headcount for me after 1 year.
>> Got promoted to senior analyst in my 2nd year. Given additional responsibilities to cover 2 sets of clients (essentially 2 men's job)

* Extracurricular activities during college:
>> Elected into student office during college. Initiated and led various signature events
>> Part of a major band in school. Invited for various paid gigs and even overseas performances
>> Took part in various case competitions and overseas study trips

* Extracurricular activities post-college:
>> Part of the same alumni band
>> Part of an alumni mentoring circle
>> Volunteers in a church - mentoring younger boys
>> Freelance as a wedding pianist

Post MBA goals:
* Short/medium term - consulting with MBB with a focus on public sector/government or financial services (am not fully certain on the focus to be very honest) in the US. I plan to stay in the US for a few years. Alternatively, I'd be happy to explore options in general management/strategy. I believe all my short term goals are realistic with a T15 MBA.
* Long term - I am not looking to start any company or join a VC/HF/PE. I personally believe I am better suited to working in a large corporate. Hence, I am looking for longevity within the mgmt consulting firm or move into a strategy/COO role in the public sector/financial services.

I would like to have an immersive experience at school. Smaller size would be a plus, not a must. Would like a place with a heavy focus on teamwork and collaboration. Strength in general management will be a plus.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
Schools: Duke '20
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V37
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi,
I would appreciate if you could evaluate my profile.

28 Year(while matriculating) Indian Male.
Work Ex- 6 Years
Started as a Software Developer in Tier 1 Indian IT firm. Got promoted after a year. Went onsite on a more client-facing role.
year 3: Came back joined sales in the same organization. was in Belgium for a year again.
Year 4: Started a company, failed miserably. Joined a startup worked for 7 months there as a Field sales specialist.
Year 5: Joined a F500 tech company as an Account Manager.

GRE:326
GPA: 3.0 had family troubles in 3rd year have a good reason for that which I would mention in the optional essay.

EC: During college was a part of the club which regularly visited rural children to teaching and guidance.
was president of the college fest finance department.
A lot of fest organizing experience.

EC during Employment:
Worked closely with the CSR committee in first company regularly visiting schools for Blind students, orphanage and old age home.
Started a CSR team in the startup I joined.
F500 company where I work now has a strong CSR committee and I'm an active member there.

Short term goal:
To move into product management after my MBA had a talk with a lot of product managers from my current firm and they say my profile is a good fit after MBA. I have a mix of tech and Business skills so it makes it a natural progression.

Thanks in Advance
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Mon16,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. You do a competititve and well-rounded profile for a top 20 b-school, provided you have a clear goal. I really like that you are an active member of your various communities. I make a few points below on the various sections of evaluation. Your ample contrinutions make for an excellent case for an MBA, so do spend time developing your pitch. I am happy to discuss your profile offline. If interested please reach out.

Academics: Your academics are compelling, albeit at a non IIT college. If your entire application is top-notch, your current GMAT score is good. That said, if you have time to retake the GMAT and increase your score by 20+ points, it would aleviate any of the Top 20 programs' concerns about your ability to handle the academic rigor of a top-tier insitution. However, I do not recommend compromising the quality of your application for an increased GMAT; only retake the GMAT if studying for it will not impede you submitting an exceptional case for why and MBA and why now.

Professional Experience: I like that you have been promoted numerous times at the US Fortune 100 company, and that you serve as the "diplomatic liesion" (my term :)) between culturally different teams (US and India).

Community Engagement/ECs: I really like your involvement in Computer Science competitions, NGO, and your community. I also like that you are involved with the company's Toastmaster's Club in a leadership role. These are all components that help the admissions committee evaluate the potential for your contribution to your cohort.

I hope you find this helpful.

Good luck!

Susan

Mon16 wrote:
Hello!

Requesting a profile evaluation please.

Background and nationality: Female, Indian

Undergrad Information:
Graduated with a 9.0 of 10 CGPA from a non-IIT college in India.
I topped my university in my first year of Information Science branch beating around 2500 students and securing a maximum grade of S in 11/12 subjects. As a result of this I got a merit seat in Computer Science and then went onto complete the remaining 3 years of my undergrad as a computer science student.
(Information Science and Computer Science are essentially the same branches in India with almost the same curriculum - Computer Science is slightly on the tougher side)
I interned with a local IT company in my second year of engineering.
I was an active volunteer for 1.5 years at a well known NGO - I taught Math and Science to the students of Grade 8, 9 and 10.
An active volunteer at college cultural events too throughout my undergrad.

GMAT: 700 - I really need help deducing if this will get me through top US colleges!

In my last semester of undergrad - I interned for 6 months with a Fortune 100 US company and landed a job with them. Been working with them for the past 4 years in the capacity of a software developer.
I was promoted to Senior Associate in my second year and to Manager in my third year with them.
I lead the Scrum/Agile process for the team and am always the talking point when it comes to interacting with the US counterparts.
I am very well known throughout the global team to be able to multi-manage and communicate effortlessly. I usually lead all the team calls and am always depended most upon to manage the team dynamics.
I am also known to be extremely creative and won the best creative team award for my team at one of our Global events.
I am active member with the firm's Toastmasters club and have served on its club officers group for a year (as a Vice President of PR and as Club Secretary)
I have participated in public speaking competitions(won second place at Division level), hosted events(hosted the area and Division events in my city), mentored folks (mainly involves honing their public speaking and leadership skills by providing constructive feedback/evaluations for every project/level they complete and guiding them structure and prepare their speeches) all over my city. I mentor about 25 people within my home club. I have completed the first level of toastmasters international and am currently in the advanced level. I have been recognized with a special award for my exemplary contribution to Toastmasters as a mentor and as a fellow toastmaster.

Colleges I aim for are the top 20. I understand this is the exclusive thread for Duke - since Duke appears in the top 20 I chose to post here first.

All suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Duke Fuqua MBA Admisions Team on Careers Post MBA, Scholarships and More

In this interview with GyanOne Universal, Shari Hubert (Associate Dean of Admissions at Duke University) and Dan McCleary (Assistant Dean of EMBA and One Year Masters Programs) discuss multiple topics of high relevance to potential Fuqua applicants. These include their insights into Fuqua culture, what Fuqua looks for in MBA applicants, jobs for international candidates at Fuqua, the Fuqua MMS and Duke MEMP programs, and of course, much more.

After going through this interview, you will feel not just a few kwa, but indeed many kwa to want to attend this outstanding school and program. There, and now we’ve taught you how to pronounce the school’s name too!

READ this Duke Fuqua MBA Admissions

This interview was first published on the GyanOne Blog

Originally posted by GyanOne on 30 Jul 2019, 22:32.
Last edited by GyanOne on 24 Apr 2020, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Can anyone evaluate my profile for Fuqua ? Also, please answer, "If strong GMAT can outweigh low GPA, can strong GPA outweigh low GMAT ?"

• Background and nationality: Indian, Male, 27 years

• Undergrad Information:
o Bachelor in Chemical Engineer from Maharaja Sayajirao University, Vadodara, Gujarat, India

• GPA: 3.98 (Department Topper)

• GMAT: 690 ( Q49, V35, AWA5, IR5)

• Work Experience:
o Acting as Senior Executive Engineer and Engineering Consultant at Linde Engineering, member of the The Linde Group, World's Leading Gas Distributor.
o Currently, I am in Munich, Germany to execute feed engineering for US based $8.5 billion Ethylene cracker for the client Bechtel. I am being made familiar with the project so that in the later part, I will be bring the project engineering to Indian office, thereby executing the project by leading it with team of 4.
o I am the only one from our Indian office to learn a new technology of Butadiene complex from the licensor company named JSR. With this knowledge, I could execute its engineering for an ethylene complex of client Niznekamsknefthakim (Russia based). Such support has helped the company save 50 million euro by not outsourcing the engineering of butadiene complex. I have even developed a team so that engineering of such technology can be executed by Linde for the future projects, saving around 50 million euros to the company for each project.
o My diligent performance at the company gifted me an unusual promotion in terms of responsibility. It got me promoted to act as a discipline lead for a $6 billion Shell Ethylene Cracker Complex, a role exclusively reserved for seniors. As a lead, I was held responsible for all the technical deliverables and their necessary planning and execution. Such fast track transition from a sedulous team member to a discipline lead has helped company to develop a leader at very low cost.
o I have executed a 1-2 million euro Project as a Lead at South African site (2 months) for client Afrox. The primary task was to update the P&ID with the current status of the operating Air Separation Plants by discussing with client the scope of work, man-hour estimation, the Safety rules followed in the plant etc. I was appreciated by Client for following and making everyone follow the Linde Safety standards at the site, thereby increasing Linde’s reputation in the eyes of client.
o I was deputed to Munich, Germany to perform the task of aligning the vendor documents with the required standards for the project of Exxon Mobil owned $ 3 billion ethylene cracker complex. I was directly working with client Exxon Mobil, Main Work contractor Bechtel and few vendors such as Mitsubishi, dresser rand etc. The cost of the work was around 1.2 million Euros. The work was a major milestone in my career as I executed it perfectly with only 1 year of work experience.
o I was deputed to Munich, Germany second time to perform the task of Basic Engineering (Engineering phase when the plant design is being conceptualized) for $ 6 billion Shell owned Ethylene cracker complex. I was a part of project task force, regularly getting involved in meeting with client Shell and main work contractor Bechtel.
o I have worked with Clients such as Exxon Mobil, Shell, EIL etc. from various regions such as US, Russia, Europe, South Africa etc.
o I am recognized in the company for providing the idea of reducing the plastic bottle use. Such initiative has helped company reduce operating cost and improve employee’s health
o I have focused and developed on the competency group such as Customer focus, Result Delivery, Embracing change, personal Development, Cross-cultural communication and Employee Development and Empowerment

• Achievements:
o Awarded three gold medal for achieving:
 highest aggregate score throughout Engineering
 highest score in Elective subjects ( Petroleum and Petrochemical subjects) in Engineering
 highest aggregate score in 3rd and 4th year of Engineering
o Earned Recognition from Ramkrishna Mission Vivekananda Memorial for achieving all the above listed gold medal
o Awarded Silver medal at State level for achieving highest aggregate score in Chemical Engineering
o Co-founder of successful NGO called Vadodara Toastmasters Club and of unsuccessful NGO called Linde Toastmasters Club
o Served as a member of Excom at Vadodara Toastmasters Club
o Earned Recognition as a Competent Leader by Toastmasters International
o Earned several awards as a Best Speaker and as a Participate for supporting the Toastmasters Event
o Secured Most Innovative and 2nd Position in Chem car competition at Azeotropy'13 at IIT Bombay
o Secured 3rd position at University level Chess Tournament
o Active member of defunct local NGO of stray dogs.

Extracurricular Activities:

o Actively carrying out social services for the stray animals from home
o Acting as an advisor for Vadodara Toastmasters Club

• Post MBA goals –
o Short Term goal to join a Consulting firm in Oil & gas sector to resolve the macroeconomic issues
o Long term goal to
 become CEO / MD of Oil & gas firm
 start-up a Non profit Waste Treatment plant (to remain in touch with my Chemical Engg. discipline and to give back something to the society)

• Hobbies:
o Knowing the social behaviour of Wildlife to know more about the nature and about how the nature has differentiated it from the human beings
o Watching WWE as it inspires and motivates me to do the best
o Reading Washington Post to improve vocabulary and to know the current affairs
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q41 V48
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Could you please let me know your feedback on my Profile.

Nationality: Spanish
Sex : Male

GMAT Score: 720 q48 v41 IR8

This is my first attempt. I did GMATPrep 1 and 2 and I got 730 Q50 v41 and 760 Q50 v44 so I think maybe I should retake.

Education Background:
Industrial Engineering - University of Sevilla (Spain). 6.7/10 (According to WES it would be a 3.0 in the GPA system but I am not sure how would the AdCom see it).
Exchange in University of Zaragoza (Spain) for 1 year.
Erasmus Exchange in Politecnico di Milano (Italy) for 1 year.

Work Experience: I am going to start from the latter. And divide it between full time and part time:

FULL TIME

November '18 to Present. I am working for a Spanish Engineering Company as Responsible for Sales and Business Development in Dominican Republic (I am an expat). We mainly work with hotels, either building new ones or renovating existing ones (We make electrical, plumbing, HVAC and telecomunications installations). My counterparts at hotesl range from Maintenace Managers for single Resorts to Coporative Technical Chiefs or Expansion Directors. Since I am here we have had around 25 Million dollars in sales.
I dont manage anybody directly since I am the only person within the commercial department in the country but I have to manage people of other departments often. I also have quite an exposure to the our company C-suite. My boss is the General Manager for the Americas (we have offices in Mexico, Jamaica, Dominican Republic and Miami) and when the CFO, COO and CEO come to visit the country I spend all the time with them, I prepare their agenda, go to the meetings with the clients with them, go to diner, etc.
I am the responsible for sales but I also perform technical job when needed, I have had to cover for colleagues holidays and be site manager for weeks in some projects (think +200MM$ Resorts with around 1000 rooms).

April '16 to October '18. I worked as a Business Development Manager for Spain and Latin America at a Polish Company, manufacturer of construction materials. I work remotely from Spain and I traveled within Spain and all over Latin America (Mexico, Chile, Panama,..). I was able to open several markets in which we had no previous presence and build network of distributors as well as engineering/designer companies that recommended our products in their projects.

October '15 to March '16. I worked as an intern within the Export Department of the abovementioned Polish company.

Decemeber '12 to May '13. While I was doing my Exchange Year in Zaragoza I work as an intern within the Quality Operations department at the factory General Motors had there.

PART TIME

April '16 to Present. I have been working as Business Development Consultant or "Agent" in my free time. These are some of the deals I have pulled off:

- I got a contrat for a portuguese company, food producer, with the largest hipermarket company in Russia. They had never sold anything in Russia.
- I worked as an agent in Spain for an Indian Company, producer of wearing parts for agriculture. They had no previous clients in Spain and I found a very good client that is now buying around half a million dollars per year.
- I have made some imports of agricultural machinery from Germany/Austria to Spain.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  18   
Moderators:
Sloan and Fuqua Moderator
12 posts
Haas & Fuqua Moderator
61 posts