Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [25]
Given Kudos: 18859
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [3]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [0]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Changes Coming in 2016 [Exam Pack 2 coming in 5 days] [#permalink]
Expert Reply
dn20 wrote:
Any other discount coupons for exam pack 2?

Not aware of any others. However, GMAT Club now offers 10-30% discount if you purchase it as a Premium Member (membership required)
it-s-back-get-ep1-ep2-and-qp2-at-30-off-for-premium-members-216994.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 3: 570 Q47 V23
GMAT 4: 620 Q49 V24
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
tronghieu1987 wrote:
JackH wrote:
Congratulations..!!!
Delighted to hear such a gr8t score..and indeed you have defeated this beast. I am still on the other side of the river, yet to beat this beast. Its OK I understand, I too need to retake multiple times those mocks, and thankfully I was looking more into verbal part as there is great variation in my verbal mocks because of position of questions I missed.
Any suggestion you would like to give how you improved from your last GMAT (obviously the verbal part) :P and how many times you have taken those GMATPrep mocks 7 days before sitting for actual exam? I believe taking mocks frequently just before real exam put oneself in better position in time management & overall stress during the real test.
Congrats once again for the awesome score..!! :-D

Thanks & Regards
Jack

My pleasure to share. Points that I think make such difference in my score:

- SC: I try to lower the allocated time for each question to 1m15s from the 1m30s previously. This saves me tons of time for time-consuming parts such as CR and RC. I realize that the lack of time for CR and RC usually causes me to make very silly mistakes. So the only way to prevent such mistakes is to use more time to read carefully and pay attention to details.

- CR: read the stimulus carefully and CORRECTLY identify the conclusion (it is vital). After that, re-think about the logical structure of the argument and the conclusion in your mind. Then just jump into each answer with the conclusion in your mind. By doing this, you could eliminate 2-3 irrelevant answers, especially easily when you have the conclusion in your mind. I don't find the process of pre-thinking an answer works for me, so I don't use it.

- RC: read very carefully to understand the passage's content and details (some but not all), even if I have to re-read one complex sentence the second or third times. Also, just as in CR stimulus, while reading RC passage I try to think about the logical structure of the content, thus of the paragraph and of the passage. This really helps in Main Idea and paragraph's function questions. It could take you so much time following this approach, so try to increase your reading speed. I read 2 to 3 Economists articles each day for 2 months before the exam, and undoubtedly it really helps.

- LSAT materials: 1 month before the exam, I decided to practice from LSAT LR and RC (the LSAT Set 1 by Aristotle Prep and the 116 LSAT RC passages). Personally, I think they, especially LSAT RC, are helpful. Just use the same approach in RC passage that I mentioned above to understand LSAT RC passages. LSAT passages are much more complex than GMAT RC passages'. When you come back to GMAT RC passages, you will happily feel the difference.

- About the mock tests: I took the exams yesterday, so I retook 2 GMATPrep tests (Exam 5 of EP2 and Exam 1 of the free tests) on last Saturday and Sunday. However, because I faced too many familiar questions, 2 tests were just to help me understand more about these questions, rather than practicing time management.

tronghieu1987
Thank you for the strategy to improve further. Am getting most of VA wrong due to lack of time towards the end and would almost left the last RC without reading & just guessing. As implemented by you, I too need to reduce the avg time of SC (from current 1:30 to atleast 1:20) without compromising the accuracy though, which will give RC more space. Yes I too bought LSAT to find out the strategy it suggests. Hope so I too will beat this beast one day. Thanks once again, and all the best for your future endeavor.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2724 [0]
Given Kudos: 1477
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Guys please be on look out with taking any official CR questions on the gmat club forum before taking EP2 CATs. I ve taken my CAT 5 and encountered many of the CR questions posted here some 10 years go. This is unfair I think from the side of GMAC to release already released questions. Just refrain from taking official CR questions from the site before taking the CATs. Dunno about RC and SC. Some SC questions though seemd familiar to me but i havent rechecked yet.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1423 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
shasadou wrote:
Guys please be on look out with taking any official CR questions on the gmat club forum before taking EP2 CATs. I ve taken my CAT 5 and encountered many of the CR questions posted here some 10 years go. This is unfair I think from the side of GMAC to release already released questions. Just refrain from taking official CR questions from the site before taking the CATs. Dunno about RC and SC. Some SC questions though seemd familiar to me but i havent rechecked yet.

Yeah I saw the same thing! A few quant questions that were posted here almost 10 years back.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
shadowfax1 wrote:
shasadou wrote:

Yeah I saw the same thing! A few quant questions that were posted here almost 10 years back.

I guess they are recycling OG 10 material.... or the original Power Prep questions. That's a bummer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
GMAT Changes Coming in 2016 [Exam Pack 2 coming in 5 days] [#permalink]
Recently, I bought GMAT Prep Exam Pack 2 and took Test 5.

I was surprised because I found that the Quantitative section in Test 5 was much more difficult than in both the GMAT Prep free package and the GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1.

I have been told that reaching a given score in the Quantitative section of Exam 5 costs much more in Test 5 than in the actual exam.

I regarded the GMAT Prep Exam Pack 2's exams as the best approximation, in terms of difficulty and score, to my actual exam, but in light of this, I wonder whether the quantitative section of the actual exam is going to be that hard.

Could you please share your views on this?
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
I am no longer active on this forum.

Originally posted by dabral on 23 Sep 2016, 00:27.
Last edited by dabral on 20 Aug 2023, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
I am no longer active on this forum.

Originally posted by dabral on 23 Sep 2016, 00:30.
Last edited by dabral on 20 Aug 2023, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
It seems that the section selection is still in PILOT? Any news about that? Doing Quant and Verbal in the first place would help.

I have registered to GMAT, and I should have received 2 GMATprep exams within the registration. I downloaded GMAT PREP software weeks before the registration and I still only have 2 Prep Exams which come free with the download of the software.

How can I reach the two prep exams come with the registration?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 201
Concentration: Finance
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Are there any news regarding the release of Question Pack 2?

I would appreciate to hear any news!
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
I am no longer active in this forum.
GMAT Club Bot