GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 13:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT horror story

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retake   Tips   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT horror story  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 22:22
So I gave my GMAT yesterday in Gurgaon Haryana India, at Ansal institute. I would recommend that no one give their Gmat from that test center.

The proctor at the test site gave me 3 marker pens at the beginning of the test out of which one was completely dried up from the very beginning but the other two were still working so I didn't pay much attention to it started my test. I started with my quants section first , somewhere near the 15th question my pen started drying up so I quickly changed my pen, I knew before hand that these things happen in India all the time and I was very careful in placing the caps back when I wasn't using the pens

But still the pens dried up, the other pen lasted for another 5 questions and right when I was engrossed in one of the overlapping sets tabular form questions the other pen stopped working completely.

I frantically raised my hand , tried to wave into the camera so that the guy could see me gesture and come inside but to no avail. I was desperate I didn't know what to do, you are not supposed to leave your seat during the exam , finally after 5 minutes the guy came in , I told him about my situation and he replied very nonchalantly that I must have not put the caps back on while not using the pens . I told him I did because I knew these things happen. So whatever he went out and 4-5 agonizing minutes came back with 4 new pens, I told him it took very long for him to get the pens , he replied he had to look for them , and so it took time. I had easily lost close to 8-9 minutes by this time , stuck on just one question. I lost my focus completely and had to rush through the next questions with a half frenzied brain.

I thought nothing could be bad then this but sadly very shortly I was about to be proven wrong, just as I started my verbal section , the area on the screen where the timer is seen got pixelated and I couldn't see the time remaining , I tried clicking the area but nothing was happening, I raised my hand once again but nobody came in , I didn't know what to do I raised my hand for a long time no one came in , I continued with my exam without being able to see the time remaining. After 10 mins another candidate entered to give his exam and the proctor entered with him , I quickly called him and showed him my screen , he told me I must have played with the timer button and that's why this happened.
I couldn't believe what I was hearing ,I told him I never touched that area until I saw that the timer area couldn't be seen . Anyway he told me it would be ok after some time and just left.

I gave my verbal , AWA and IR sections without being able to see the time as the screen never worked properly after that.

I got such a bad score , I had to cancel my exam , I have taken up my situation with the Gmac guys , let's see what happens, I am not to sure anything fruitful will happen. Do these guys ever give anybody a retest if one has undergone such trauma ?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.98
Re: GMAT horror story  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 02:23
Hi, yes, one of my friends got a re-test free of cost because his computer system completely froze during the exam. In order to strengthen your argument, you may send screenshots of your centre's reviews on gmat club and google maps (they are pretty bad). Also, I recommend you take the gmat at the Yusuf Sarai centre next time. My experience there was pretty good.
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 04:04
what a bad experience. :-(

Incidences like that may happen, but usually not because of human-error and reluctance like your case (like electricity cut or system shutdown)

try to resit as soon as possible before you lose your energy, and at the same time try contacting GMAC to discuss your complain. I am quite sure GMAC will give you an option to take it for free.

Wishing you a better experience next time.
V
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 04:24
You should escalate this to pearson and write a email to GMAC help centre describe them your entire situation. Missing timer is a major thing..shouldn't be taken this lightly. I think they'll give you a free test coupon. Goodluck.

Sent from my SM-N960F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2019, 17:56
Wow, I’m sorry to hear what happened. I’ve had a number of students who have had issues with the pens at the test center, but your experience takes the cake. What is your plan from here?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2019, 21:30
raul1706 wrote:
finally after 5 minutes the guy came in
raul1706 wrote:
So whatever he went out and 4-5 agonizing minutes came back with 4 new pens,
raul1706 wrote:
I raised my hand once again but nobody came in
raul1706 wrote:
I didn't know what to do I raised my hand for a long time no one came in
Any of these will qualify you for a free retake/refund. They have video recording, so you have a solid case. Just list all of these issues out in your email/on the phone.

Yusuf Sarai is far better (more test takers and fewer reports of problems).
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2019, 18:34
Wishing u best of luck for retest..
Sorry to hear your experience on the first attempt..

Manager
Manager
G
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2019, 09:41
So sorry to hear your experience. I remember I had a bad experience in my first GMAT that the proctor couldn't sign me out during my 8 mins break. He wasted a lot of time that by the time I returned to my desk, my verbal has started for about 3 mins plus. I was destabilised as I rushed through the questions. I also got a horrible score so now I want to do the exam again but I won't have to use that centre again. There are lots of terrible centres like that. Though I didn't take it up but you should try to follow up with GMAC and pearson. All the best.

Re: GMAT horror story   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2019, 09:41

GMAT horror story

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics