Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [5]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 540 Q31 V34
GMAT 3: 590 Q36 V34
GMAT 4: 600 Q42 V30
GRE 1: Q159 V152
GPA: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [6]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic] [#permalink]
Roonsta wrote:
Can anyone actually access the webinar recording that GMAC sent in its email just a little bit ago? I see that Camille referenced a recording, but I can't access it / don't see any attachments. :?

Same thing at my end. No webinar link or attachments.
I guess in the hurry to send out an update, the good folks at GMAC forgot to attach the link :?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32868 [1]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
The free ETS GRE software is off balance.

it gives you only where you stand for , a range, NOT the real score during the real exam.

Moreover, we do not have any clue or confirmation BUT the real exam, in my opinion, is harder than the free software.

Even though, someone reports that the real exam is not that far.

Regards
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GRE 1: Q166 V159

GRE 2: Q165 V156

GRE 3: Q166 V159
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Hey bro,

What specific to check in the live wire, could you provide a screenshot?

ari.banerjee wrote:
ZM308 wrote:
My experience of taking a GRE practice test while I've always been studying for GMAT:

I've been studying for GMAT so far, and my score is around 720-730 (Q50, V37-38). Yesterday I went to GRE website and took one of their practice tests (they have two free tests). This was my first GRE experience. I skipped the two writing parts and directly went to the Verbal and Quant.
I found GRE's Quant much easier than GMAT's. Surprisingly, I got all 40 Quant questions correct without any timing problem (this has never ever happened to me in GMAT that I can get all 31 questions correct on time, I usually have at least a few questions wrong). The GRE software gave me a Quant score of 170.

GMAT quant questions are overall are trickier than GRE's and it's much easier to make mistakes in GMAT. While GRE's questions were more superficial and not as deep in terms of content or hiding something that makes you get something wrong. I'd say the hardest Q questions that I saw in this practice test were in the range of 680-720 in GMAT quant. So imo if everyone is thinking about switching to GRE, you will be just fine and even better off in Quant if you have been preparing for GMAT.

The problem, however, with GRE, at least for me, was their verbal vocabulary questions. I got virtually all vocab questions wrong!! My score was 152 in verbal, which is much lower in terms of percentile compared to 37-38 of GMAT.
The GRE verbal I'd say has three parts: RC, which was similar to GMAT's RC. CR, which was easier than GMAT CR. And Vocab questions, which I found them very hard as someone who has never studied this sort of high level English vocab. The vocabs are much more advanced than what we usually see in the RC, books, news like NY, economist, etc.

So in summary, I'd say the only noticeable difference between GMAT and GRE is vocab questions. In quant section you will do just fine. I'd say if you've been scoring 48-51 in GMAT quant, there is a high chance that you will get a perfect 170 in GRE quant. Those muscles that you've built for GMAT Quant will easily smash the GRE questions.
As for verbal, RC and CR are the same. There is no SC in GRE. Instead you will have a bunch of vocab questions. If english is your first language or if you think you're good in this part, don't hesitate to try to take a GRE test. You may perform even better in GRE overall.

As for me, since I don't have time to start reading the vocab, I'm gonna just stick to GMAT and wait until centers are open and then I will take a GMAT. I think my 720-730 GMAT would probably be better than a 322 in GRE.

At a score of 322 you are above 75% of universities averages. A 720 may not take you so far on gmat (esp if you are Indian) but a 322 will get you into the top 10. Go to clear admit and check out their live wire. Also try the decision tracker on gmat club.

P.S don’t trust the gre powerprep software. It’s much easier than the actual exam. I was scoring 166 and ended up with a 159. Another person I know was scoring 167 and ended up with 155. The actual GRE is much harder and time consuming. Also, if you can spend 2 weeks on the text completion section then you will see that most qs are context driven not vocab driven.

It’s your choice and if you can wait for 6 months and give the gmat at a test center then of course go for that. But don’t discount the GRE esp because you used the gre to gmat converter. GRE average scores are a lot diff in universities that GMAT.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
ari.banerjee wrote:
ZM308 wrote:
My experience of taking a GRE practice test while I've always been studying for GMAT:

I've been studying for GMAT so far, and my score is around 720-730 (Q50, V37-38). Yesterday I went to GRE website and took one of their practice tests (they have two free tests). This was my first GRE experience. I skipped the two writing parts and directly went to the Verbal and Quant.
I found GRE's Quant much easier than GMAT's. Surprisingly, I got all 40 Quant questions correct without any timing problem (this has never ever happened to me in GMAT that I can get all 31 questions correct on time, I usually have at least a few questions wrong). The GRE software gave me a Quant score of 170.

GMAT quant questions are overall are trickier than GRE's and it's much easier to make mistakes in GMAT. While GRE's questions were more superficial and not as deep in terms of content or hiding something that makes you get something wrong. I'd say the hardest Q questions that I saw in this practice test were in the range of 680-720 in GMAT quant. So imo if everyone is thinking about switching to GRE, you will be just fine and even better off in Quant if you have been preparing for GMAT.

The problem, however, with GRE, at least for me, was their verbal vocabulary questions. I got virtually all vocab questions wrong!! My score was 152 in verbal, which is much lower in terms of percentile compared to 37-38 of GMAT.
The GRE verbal I'd say has three parts: RC, which was similar to GMAT's RC. CR, which was easier than GMAT CR. And Vocab questions, which I found them very hard as someone who has never studied this sort of high level English vocab. The vocabs are much more advanced than what we usually see in the RC, books, news like NY, economist, etc.

So in summary, I'd say the only noticeable difference between GMAT and GRE is vocab questions. In quant section you will do just fine. I'd say if you've been scoring 48-51 in GMAT quant, there is a high chance that you will get a perfect 170 in GRE quant. Those muscles that you've built for GMAT Quant will easily smash the GRE questions.
As for verbal, RC and CR are the same. There is no SC in GRE. Instead you will have a bunch of vocab questions. If english is your first language or if you think you're good in this part, don't hesitate to try to take a GRE test. You may perform even better in GRE overall.

As for me, since I don't have time to start reading the vocab, I'm gonna just stick to GMAT and wait until centers are open and then I will take a GMAT. I think my 720-730 GMAT would probably be better than a 322 in GRE.

At a score of 322 you are above 75% of universities averages. A 720 may not take you so far on gmat (esp if you are Indian) but a 322 will get you into the top 10. Go to clear admit and check out their live wire. Also try the decision tracker on gmat club.

P.S don’t trust the gre powerprep software. It’s much easier than the actual exam. I was scoring 166 and ended up with a 159. Another person I know was scoring 167 and ended up with 155. The actual GRE is much harder and time consuming. Also, if you can spend 2 weeks on the text completion section then you will see that most qs are context driven not vocab driven.

It’s your choice and if you can wait for 6 months and give the gmat at a test center then of course go for that. But don’t discount the GRE esp because you used the gre to gmat converter. GRE average scores are a lot diff in universities that GMAT.

Why did you mention you have to wait for 6 months for a GMAT centre to open? Is that really the case or are you speculating?

This will make us drop a year for MBA!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Send PM
Bhavz10 wrote:
ari.banerjee wrote:
ZM308 wrote:

Why did you mention you have to wait for 6 months for a GMAT centre to open? Is that really the case or are you speculating?

This will make us drop a year for MBA!!!

Purely speculating. No one knows how long this will last. No one knows even if businesses start back up whether test Centers will be essential enough to open up again, given they have an online alternative.

This is just my opinion but I even anticipate the entire first semester to be online for fall 2020.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
The official statements report that will last until the pandemic is over.

My guess is that the world meanwhile changed radically after this pandemic and, as such, maybe the tests will be delivered at home on a regular basis.

regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Kudos
Boss don’t say this. It an option ,you can choose to take it or not
ari.banerjee wrote:
Chethan92 wrote:
ari.banerjee wrote:
bb wrote:
Chethan92 wrote:
Keep in mind that with the GMAT™ Online exam currently there is not an opportunity to preview your unofficial score at the end of your exam. So, if you are unsure, you can wait to select programs until after receiving your official score report via email.

Your official score will be sent to you via email (to the email on your registration record) within 7 business days of completing your exam.

We cannot view our scores?

:lol: :lol: :lol: This is GMAT from Hell, not GMAT at Home

I have a touchscreen laptop and I am thinking how feasible this will be to use a stylus on the screen but is a stylus or touch screen feature even allowed?

This is worse than GRE at home. I will prefer to sit through a 6 hr GRE exam again than to appear for an exam with no way to solve using my hands or on a pad. This is insanity. I want to know which dumbass consultant came up with that IDEA? :lol: :shock:

I can't even write numbers properly with a mouse. Imagine solving problems :lol:

GMAC is a corrupt entity and all they ever care about is how to gouge prices and deceive innocent people and poor students with multiple attempts, ESR purchases and an elusive algorithm that produces haywire fluctuations that are incomprehensible. This is another example of how GMAT doesn't care about students and at a time of crisis is just trying to make money and make the experience even harder so that students will have to give the GMAT again when the testing centers open back up.

I hope people choose GRE and that this time it destroys GMAT for good. I hope it goes bankrupt.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
carcass wrote:
The official statements report that will last until the pandemic is over.

My guess is that the world meanwhile changed radically after this pandemic and, as such, maybe the tests will be delivered at home on a regular basis.

regards

The online test would not be a problem had they not made it so ridiculous! Solving math by a mouse. Hopefully they streamline the exam with updates and allow a scratchpad !!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [2]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Kudos
I have just finished doing the Official Practice Exam 6 using the Manhattan Prep Online Whiteboard (no paper or whatsoever), and I ended up getting a Q50. I also simulated no break between Q and V, and a 5 minute break before IR.

I mainly relied on logic in Quant, and I made a very limited use of the whiteboard: I only wrote down conditions, divisions and a couple of linear equations. I think there is no way to be on time by heavily relying on the whiteboard, the only way to have a good pace is to find shortcuts and work by logic and estimate, especially on those questions that would require heavy calculations.

My score was surprisingly consistent with previous tests also in verbal and IR, and my final score was just 10 points below "normal" previous attempts.

My advice is to give a shot at the official practice exams by simulating online testing conditions, and judge how well/bad it works out for you.

I was considering canceling my online exam appointment, but I think I will give it a shot now.
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GRE 1: Q166 V159

GRE 2: Q165 V156

GRE 3: Q166 V159
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Hey!

Congratulations, when there is a will , there is a way!

Best of luck for your exam.

Andreacesare wrote:
I have just finished doing the Official Practice Exam 6 using the Manhattan Prep Online Whiteboard (no paper or whatsoever), and I ended up getting a Q50. I also simulated no break between Q and V, and a 5 minute break before IR.

I mainly relied on logic in Quant, and I made a very limited use of the whiteboard: I only wrote down conditions, divisions and a couple of linear equations. I think there is no way to be on time by heavily relying on the whiteboard, the only way to have a good pace is to find shortcuts and work by logic and estimate, especially on those questions that would require heavy calculations.

My score was surprisingly consistent with previous tests also in verbal and IR, and my final score was just 10 points below "normal" previous attempts.

My advice is to give a shot at the official practice exams by simulating online testing conditions, and judge how well/bad it works out for you.

I was considering canceling my online exam appointment, but I think I will give it a shot now.

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72868 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thanks for giving it a shot Andreacesare!

That’s a very nice quant score for an awkward test... I wonder if GMAC researched this... they definitely did not make that impression :lol:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
Kudos
I got an email from GMAC today. It said "please view this recording of a webinar about the Online GMAT that was previously conducted instead.", but there is no link to access the recording.

bb: Did you find the link to the GMAT online webinar recording?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72868 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
anmoldps wrote:
I got an email from GMAC today. It said "please view this recording of a webinar about the Online GMAT that was previously conducted instead.", but there is no link to access the recording.

bb: Did you find the link to the GMAT online webinar recording?

I had the exact same issue. I have actually attended two webinars and they received two emails but neither one of them had a link. I thought maybe I wasn’t smart enough. Does anyone have a link to recording?

Board of Directors
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
They are losing it down. Completely lost

:-o :-o :roll:
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [1]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Andreacesare

Thank you so much your post. It is a tiny but a positive ray of hope in these turbulent times.
I do sincerely wish that may these bad times due to COVID end sooner, but let us face it honestly,
the chances of those are currently very dim.
In such circumstances, it is best to work with available resources (using a white board / switching to GRE,
based on one's comfort level in prep) than criticizing GMAC for new changes. It, as an organization/ entity,
has done the best it could in these circumstances and we as test takers need to respect the new changes and
adopt ourselves accordingly.
I hope you get your dream score and your positive energy inflicts lots of other members in their prep. :thumbsup:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi Guys,

When I tried the System test (via the "System test" link from GMAT official website , I got an error message " We're sorry, but something went wrong.". It doesn't give me any hint of what was wrong...

Any idea?

Many thanks
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72868 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
KevinWang77 wrote:
Hi Guys,

When I tried the System test (via the "System test" link from GMAT official website , I got an error message " We're sorry, but something went wrong.". It doesn't give me any hint of what was wrong...

Any idea?

Many thanks

I don't think it actually works for anyone.... and I don't think it ever worked. If you want to do a system test, there is a different link :-)

Here is a working link: https://home.pearsonvue.com/oracle/onvue and then click system test

-
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  32   33   34   35   36  ...  183