GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Aug 2020, 03:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Study Plan - 2020 Edition

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - 2020 Edition  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2020, 04:41
Hello,
Hope you guys are safe.
Can someone please validate my study plan.My GMAT is scheduled two month from now.

B/G
I would say I have a fairly decent aptitude, having cleared entrance tests to study at one of India's top engineering schools.
I have attempted 50 questions each of PS, DS, RC, SC and CR. These are the accuracy levels.
PS - 95%
DS - 90%
RC - 90%
SC - 60%
CR - 100%

I plan to complete the OG in week 1 and week 2.
Week 3, I will then go through all the tips and tricks available in MGMAT, Kaplan Books other resources I have.
Week 4 and Week 5 - Solve OG Quant and OG Verbal.
Take a couple of Practise Tests Again
Week 6, Week 7 and Week 8 - Take one test everyday. Analyse weak areas and work on them.
Could someone please validate this plan, modify it if need be or point any flaws.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2020, 20:08
I need a plan to improve my verbal score as well. I just did a gmat online test, and almost not sure of all the questions in the verbal section. I only prepared for two weeks, mostly focused on the verbal. I did one practice test got 26 on my verbal, then I read the SC Manhattan book(I dont think I get the points though) and did some practice in the OG. I am planning to spend another two weeks to improve my verbal score. Anyone has any recommendations, my target for verbal is 35-36, not aiming super high.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2020, 07:56
Hello Expert and friends.
I have just completed my first kaplan mock and scored 580(Q-47 V-23)

I have gone through some concepts and video to get familiarise about topics and solved some sub 600 level questions.
Being non native English speaker I already knew it will be difficult task to score good in verbal so I gone through some basic concepts.
As Quant score seems decent as I haven't prepared much , i can definitely improve and practice some high level questions.

I would like to have your suggestions for my further preparation. I have 2 months of time and can dedicate 15 hr a week.

Any suggestions on verbal part will be highly appreciated 😊

1.As it was first mock test, I had issue with my timing however that will be improved over a period of time.
2.I felt I have good command over CR before test but I found CR challenging as well in test.
3.My plan for RC is to solve atleast 2 passage per day and slowly move to higher difficulty level.
4.For SC now I am planning to vo through MGMAT book as I have read very positive reviews for same.

My Target score is 670.

Thank you in advance.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2020, 07:25
Thank you for the detailed explanation :thumbsup:
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT Study Plan - 2020 Edition  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2020, 04:12
Need Help!

I scored a 330 in my GMAT diagnostic test, and I am aiming for a 730 in GMAT I am planning to give GMAT in OCT or NOV 2020, how can I achive that score?
Is that possible for me ?
can someone help me ?

I am aiming for LBS MiM in management
PS: New to GMAT Club and my first post, didn't knew where to post so posting here in study plan section.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2020, 04:44
himanshu1107 wrote:
Need Help!

I scored a 330 in my GMAT diagnostic test, and I am aiming for a 730 in GMAT I am planning to give GMAT in OCT or NOV 2020, how can I achive that score?
Is that possible for me ?
can someone help me ?

I am aiming for LBS MiM in management
PS: New to GMAT Club and my first post, didn't knew where to post so posting here in study plan section.

Hi Himanshu,
First of all you don't get disheartened by your score, you have to understand how GMAT works, make your own study plan, see what material you're comfortable stidying from.

You can do it with a proper study plan and a positive mindset, don't let this demotivate you. It was a diagnostic test to see where you stand before your preparation. You shall work accordingly, it'll take hardwork but you can do it.

I'd like you to analise as to which section you're weak in, which topics you find difficulty doing.

Then make sure your basics are solid, I'd suggest Manhattan guides for the same.
There are many online courses as well such as Target Test Prep, e-GMAT, Magoosh etc. All of them have free trials (TTP has 1dollar for 5 days trial), you can take them and see which one is the best suited for you, choose the one from which you feel you can learn in a better way.

(It isn't compulsory to join an online course if you feel you've gotten a grip over GMAT questions and can tackle them- that's why do basics from Manhattan first)
Also, finish the OG thoroughly, do it twice if you have to but make sure that you are clear with all the cocepts and tricks.

Once you're done with basics and are confident with that, you can give a mock if you want to just to see where you stand (if you're easily demotivated, then give mocks after you're done with your prep)

Do not move to practicing higher level questions before being confident with your basics, a simple reason being, GMAT is a computer adaptive test, if you can't ckear easy level or basic level questions you won't even see the ones that have a higher difficulty level, so don't rush it.

One advice would be to study topic wise, move to the next when you're hapoy with your preparation of the topic you were studying.

Be active on GMAT club because a lot of questions are posted regularly, even if you're not able to solve them in the starting stages, you can look at the answers given by experts and can learn few tips and tricks
There are also good amount question banks of all levels of questions, so you can get a good amount of practice.

It is very important to time yourself throughout your preparation, do not worry about exceeding the time at all, your first aum should be solving the question, as you become clearer with concepts, your speed will eventually increase. The reason for timing yourself isn't mainly seeing if you can complete the questions on time, it is also to make you used to it, to make you comfortable with the fact that a timer will always be on when you're solving a question and for you not to get nervous.

Also, it is very important for you to set small goals, big goals become overwhelming. Do not aim to go from a 330 directly to a 730
First make an aim to reach and cross 500, then 550 or 600 then make an aim to reach 700 and so on..

Do not fall for the idea of having to do each question in 2mins or so, easy questions take less time, difficult ones might take more. Do not fall for this idea especially during reading comprehension, don't rush there because if you can't understand the passage then you lose those 3-4 questions, on the other hand if you do then that will save you time as you will be able to answer the questions quickly

One of the most important think to do throughout your prep is to review. Review your mistakes, revise concepts, make sure you don't make the same mistakes, look out for silly mistakes. Take out a day per week to only and only review your mistakes. GMAT questions have some catch, some questions even have a particular trick. So keep reviewing and revising. Once you're able to avoid your mistakes I think you'll be sorted

Rest I'm sure that you will get a lot of good posts on GMAT club as to how to go about all of this
I'm sure you'll do it
Remember, baby steps

All the best !
Hope this helped a little

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2020, 15:39
Hello Team!

My name is Chris and I just joined. I am looking to start my adventure into the GMAT world and am seeking advice on the best methods to get started! I have read all the beginner guides and think I may start with OG and the Complete GMAT strategy guide (Manhattan). However, I am debating about going directly into the Princeton 700+ class for $1,500 or any other upper tier class. A little bit of background, I work as a full time petrophysicist and will only accept a top 5 school (these are the only schools that my company cares about). Money is not an issue and fortunately time isn't either! I would like to be prepared in 6 months but I understand this could be a 8-12 month road. It is also important to note that I am able to spend 15 hours a week studying. Could you please guide me with your excellent experience in this department? Should I go directly into Princeton 700+? Should I spend a couple months doing book work first? Is online more effective? Is Magoosh only highly rated because it's cheap? Time is more important than money so any advice is appreciated :)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2020, 03:32
Hi,

I took my first step towards my GMAT journey by writing the official GMAT MOCK. However I am not quite satisfied by my opening score!!
Q49
VA27

Overall 640

Finished the QA with 15 mins left in hand. I am not able to time up each question based on the difficulty level. For VA, I am a non native speaker and not a regular reader as well.

Looking forward to hear detailed strategies to increase my score. Target score:730-740. GMAT planned in End September 2020.
Section wise strategy would be of great help. Planning to do by self study.
Working Professional and will be able to give 15-16 hours a week.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2020, 23:29
Are all the quant and all the verbal Manhattan books equivalent to 6th edition strategy guides? Is it advisable to also get old advanced math book in addition to all the gmat books?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2020, 12:47
Hi everyone,

I just did my first practice test today using on of the official GMAT tests. My scores were:

Q 37
V 40
IR 8
Total 640

I was very disappointed with my Q score as I got 4 of the first 5 questions wrong and I feel like my score was indicative of rustiness with my undergrad not involving any maths. So basically I feel I could greatly improve on my Q score. I was quite pleased with my V score but Sentence correction seems to be my weakness here. I'm aiming for at least 720 but I think 750/760 could be achievable

Anyway, any thoughts on what I should focus on and what are the best resources to improve my weaknesses. I've got 3 months plus to prepare.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V51
GPA: 3.52
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2020, 08:29
Chris3 wrote:
Hello Team!

My name is Chris and I just joined. I am looking to start my adventure into the GMAT world and am seeking advice on the best methods to get started! I have read all the beginner guides and think I may start with OG and the Complete GMAT strategy guide (Manhattan). However, I am debating about going directly into the Princeton 700+ class for $1,500 or any other upper tier class. A little bit of background, I work as a full time petrophysicist and will only accept a top 5 school (these are the only schools that my company cares about). Money is not an issue and fortunately time isn't either! I would like to be prepared in 6 months but I understand this could be a 8-12 month road. It is also important to note that I am able to spend 15 hours a week studying. Could you please guide me with your excellent experience in this department? Should I go directly into Princeton 700+? Should I spend a couple months doing book work first? Is online more effective? Is Magoosh only highly rated because it's cheap? Time is more important than money so any advice is appreciated :)

Hi Chris,

If you are able to spend 15 hours a week studying, I don't think you should have much difficulty in achieving a top score in much sooner than 8-12 months. My advice to you would be to begin with a diagnostic test. When I began my journey, I took the diagnostic at the front of the OG book. From there, you are able to get a better idea of where you stand and which areas are your weakest. Then you can target your studying to more efficiently improve your weakpoints and cut down on time. There are 6 adaptive tests that you can purchase from GMAC (first 2 are free), and I recommend you plan your studying around spacing those mock tests far enough apart to give you time to improve in between, but not too far that you take too much time from emulating the test environment. Every 3-4 weeks schedule permitting should suffice, but feel free to go at your own speed. With 15 hours a week studying however, that should be a good speed. But I can't stress enough how useful it is to take all 6 tests and emulate the test environment the best you can, i.e. use breaks as you would, don't listen to music, etc. It really helps you monitor your progress and target your studying effectively.

I can't give you advice on Magoosh, Princeton, or Manhattan, but I have heard that the questions from Magoosh are not the best representation of real questions, and that Manhattan practice tests are too difficult. Let me know if you have more questions!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2020, 08:52
Hi everyone.
I have just started my GMAT Preparation and solving through my OG 2020. I got to know that i have two free tests with the OG 2020. My question was whether I should do one of the GMAT test to know where i stand currently, or should i wait until I complete my OG? Also I heard it is compulsory to have a surname in your passport for giving the GMAT Exam, and I just have a Given name (First Name) in my passport. Sorry if i posted some similar question again, as I am new to this forum and there is ton of information out here. Thanks in advance. :)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2020, 23:16
Hi Everyone,

I took BBs advice and took a official GMAT mock to do an analysis of where I stand before starting with the preps.
Just completed that and got a 700 - Q47, V39. No preparation, just went about it, may have been some educated guesses on a few questions and a couple of random guesses too, but apart from that it was just trying to reason through the questions on screen.
I plan on giving the actual GMAT test in about a month's time. Request the experts to help with their tips for a study plan.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2020, 23:18
KushagraK wrote:
Hi everyone.
I have just started my GMAT Preparation and solving through my OG 2020. I got to know that i have two free tests with the OG 2020. My question was whether I should do one of the GMAT test to know where i stand currently, or should i wait until I complete my OG? Also I heard it is compulsory to have a surname in your passport for giving the GMAT Exam, and I just have a Given name (First Name) in my passport. Sorry if i posted some similar question again, as I am new to this forum and there is ton of information out here. Thanks in advance. :)

Hi Kushagra,

Multiple experts are of the view to give one of the standardized tests to understand where you stand!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2020, 07:52
Need Help!

I finished all the Manhattan Guides and was doing pretty well when it came to the problem sets and quizzes.
But when I tried the CATs I consistently scored poorly :(

How to study next after following the guides?
I hope to get at least 650 but I'm not sure about my chances. Rescheduled my online exam to September just to give more time for studying and practice.

My practice scores:
Veritas (Diagnostic) - 510 V29, Q32
Veritas 2 - 560 V30, Q38
GMATPrep1 - 520, V27, Q34
GMATPrep2 - 530, V31, Q31

I'm panicking but still need to study. I'm still more than a hundred points away from my target score. What's the best strategy to do the practice questions? Native English speaker so was expecting my verbal to be a bit higher. My Sentence Correction is great, but struggling with CR and I take too long with RC (struggling with taking notes). For quant, I've never been a math guy, but the problems are tricky and I can't seem to get past the 650 questions. I've been studying every weekday for 4 hours then 4-6 hours on weekends. :(
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2020, 18:34
Thank you so much !

This will definitely help me with revising my study plan for my 2nd attempt.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Study Plan - 2020 Edition   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2020, 18:34

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   [ 136 posts ] 

GMAT Study Plan - 2020 Edition

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep