It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 06:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

H-1B Visa changes – A Potential Boon for MBA Applicants

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 17

Reviews Badge
Re: H-1B Visa changes – A Potential Boon for MBA Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 06:06
BagretsovaN wrote:
theincredible, thank you for your point of view.

Absolutely!! Happy to help. I think this thread deserves more posts. Would have been really interesting to everyone's point of view on this very critical issue that will inevitably affect our careers.

Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 873 [0], given: 602

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 01:58
Amid ‘Trump Effect’ Fear, 40% of Colleges See Dip in Foreign Applicants

Source -> New York Times => https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/16/us/international-students-us-colleges-trump.html?_r=0

Give me a hell yeah ...!!!!!

Intern
Intern
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 03:09
stonecold wrote:
Amid ‘Trump Effect’ Fear, 40% of Colleges See Dip in Foreign Applicants

Source -> New York Times => https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/16/us/international-students-us-colleges-trump.html?_r=0

Thanks for posting this!! Yes I read the article sometime back and was not surprised to see this. This was expected as international students constitute an humongous group of people applying to US bschools. I have heard that they plan to increase scholarships to attract international students. Although, I am not sure if that will convince international students. One of my friends rejected an offer from Tepper and Anderson and is joining Schulich this year. He was rejected from Rotman. In an unprecedented state of affairs, Schulich's seats were filled by mid January and Rotman has rejected/waitlisted a record number of Indian students with very high gmat scores. Things are finally looking up for Canada and Canadian bchools!!

VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 165

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
H-1B Visa changes – A Potential Boon for MBA Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 05:19
theincredible wrote:

Thanks for posting this!! Yes I read the article sometime back and was not surprised to see this. This was expected as international students constitute an humongous group of people applying to US bschools. I have heard that they plan to increase scholarships to attract international students. Although, I am not sure if that will convince international students. One of my friends rejected an offer from Tepper and Anderson and is joining Schulich this year. He was rejected from Rotman. In an unprecedented state of affairs, Schulich's seats were filled by mid January and Rotman has rejected/waitlisted a record number of Indian students with very high gmat scores. Things are finally looking up for Canada and Canadian bchools!!

Hi theincredible,

I bumped into that very recent discussion about Schulich if you are interested.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/schulich-yor ... 36244.html

Regarding the scholarship to attract internationals, I heard the same as you had. But it is unclear to do because the cuts to in federal fund are massive to many sectors in the states including education in all levels in order to fund defense and security. We will see what will happen the incoming few months.

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 165

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 05:52
I don't think the number of applications to US B-Schools are reducing, as the average GMAT of admitted students ( Indian) are nearly 30 to 40 points higher than average GMAT of school.
Moreover, what I believe the selling point for all the top 30 US B-Schools is the global exposure they provide to candidates, and the diversity which is there in the class. If these schools starts reducing international students, the whole global experience and diversity will go for a toss, eventually reducing the interest from domestic students as well.
However, post MBA job opportunities is still a big question?

Intern
Intern
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 07:01
CrackuM7 wrote:
I don't think the number of applications to US B-Schools are reducing, as the average GMAT of admitted students ( Indian) are nearly 30 to 40 points higher than average GMAT of school.
Moreover, what I believe the selling point for all the top 30 US B-Schools is the global exposure they provide to candidates, and the diversity which is there in the class. If these schools starts reducing international students, the whole global experience and diversity will go for a toss, eventually reducing the interest from domestic students as well.

True @crackum7. The US schools do value diversity a lot and international students are a big contributor to the overall value proposition of an us mba and higher gmat scores. The jobs prospects are the primary reason why international students are concerned about doing an MBA from US. That's why it's in the best Interest of US schools to provide more scholarships and attract students. Other countries such as Canada and Australia are looking much better in terms of job prospects post MBA.

As @mo2men has said, we'll have to wait and see.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 01:59
To be more specific with MBA crowd this year the total number of applications have increased by a factor of 5-20% depending on the school. I guess majority contribution in this would have been of internationals. Having said that, adcoms are expecting a falling yields this year due to the trump fiasco and the related uncertainty. Sure the number/ratio of international students going to top MBA programs in US won't change in near future but yields will drop, meaning more folks will turn down offers. This is already happening. I know of multiple folks who have left good US schools, some even with scholarships, for ISB/NUS/INSEAD.

In larger context, I don't think students are at a loss here. A good student who could have gone to a top 20 US school will do well even a Canadian/ISB/NUS/Australia MBA. It's the US schools and more so the US that is at loss here. Disagree with me? Think of how many international students apply to schools like HEC/IE/IESE these days? Majority of top candidates don't consider these schools. These countries started restricting immigrants few years back and results are visible now. If US policies stay the same, US schools r bound to follow the fate. Though I personally hope (and pray) that never happens.

theincredible wrote:
CrackuM7 wrote:

True CrackuM7. The US schools do value diversity a lot and international students are a big contributor to the overall value proposition of an us mba and higher gmat scores. The jobs prospects are the primary reason why international students are concerned about doing an MBA from US. That's why it's in the best Interest of US schools to provide more scholarships and attract students. Other countries such as Canada and Australia are looking much better in terms of job prospects post MBA.

As Mo2men has said, we'll have to wait and see.

Intern
Intern
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 10:50
Rohit6 wrote:
To be more specific with MBA crowd this year the total number of applications have increased by a factor of 5-20% depending on the school. I guess majority contribution in this would have been of internationals. Having said that, adcoms are expecting a falling yields this year due to the trump fiasco and the related uncertainty. Sure the number/ratio of international students going to top MBA programs in US won't change in near future but yields will drop, meaning more folks will turn down offers. This is already happening. I know of multiple folks who have left good US schools, some even with scholarships, for ISB/NUS/INSEAD.

In larger context, I don't think students are at a loss here. A good student who could have gone to a top 20 US school will do well even a Canadian/ISB/NUS/Australia MBA. It's the US schools and more so the US that is at loss here. Disagree with me? Think of how many international students apply to schools like HEC/IE/IESE these days? Majority of top candidates don't consider these schools. These countries started restricting immigrants few years back and results are visible now. If US policies stay the same, US schools r bound to follow the fate. Though I personally hope (and pray) that never happens.

theincredible wrote:
CrackuM7 wrote:

True CrackuM7. The US schools do value diversity a lot and international students are a big contributor to the overall value proposition of an us mba and higher gmat scores. The jobs prospects are the primary reason why international students are concerned about doing an MBA from US. That's why it's in the best Interest of US schools to provide more scholarships and attract students. Other countries such as Canada and Australia are looking much better in terms of job prospects post MBA.

As Mo2men has said, we'll have to wait and see.

Rohit6 : Good analysis there, buddy. However, let me point out one specific thing here. In the long run, students are going to be in a huge loss. Can you imagine a MBA market where US is no longer an option? What remains? Canada, Australia and probably Germany (not sure though!). How many good schools do you know in these countries? You can probably count them on your fingertips. US constitutes a very large chunk of bschools and for good reason too. We'll have even fewer choices and that's very scary! The competition will be immense and international students with lower gmat scores will be affected more. The downfall of US bschools is good news for nobody. I am literally scared to think about the situation if US goes in the way of UK.

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 17:50
theincredible
Hi Buddy,
Below are my thoughts:

"In the long run, students are going to be in a huge loss"
They're going to be in a loss, for sure. My point was that US schools will be at a Bigger loss. Sure this situation brings good to no1 but good folks, who are willing to work hard and make a difference will do that in spite of all these geopolitical changes.

"Can you imagine a MBA market where US is no longer an option?"
Absolutely. US business schools have risen to there present status only in the last few decades. I wouldn't be surprised if US schools or MBA as a degree loose there sheen and reputation in the next few years/decades.

Having said that, I would also like to point out that US schools, over the last few decades, have successfully stood the test of time and have evolved significantly. I'm sure US schools will keep evolving. What if US schools start to push globalization and diversity the way to they push sustainability and social issues now? That'll change the whole game. Moreover, as the political dynamics change, I'm sure new leaders will come up in other parts of the world. If there aren't options today in Australia/Canada/Emerging world doesn't mean there won't be tomorrow. In long-term market forces will take charge and new leaders will emerge (ISB is one such good example)

IMHO change is always good in long-term. Let's me optimistic.

I understand your present situation completely. My suggestion would be to make the best decision based on "present" day circumstances without predicting the future and in long-term always be ready for surprises :-D

Do I make sense?

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1077 [1], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 12:01
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
Great logical article by Rajat. But on the ground situation is far from logic.

I am not sure whether anybody is in US and is interviewing and I am. Lots of companies have stopped sponsoring who were sponsoring tons of the MBA in the previous years. There are lot of uncertainties with the companies and I have been pulled out of interviews just because of the H1B sponsorship. So I will strongly suggest wait and watch.

theincredible and Rohit6 : Everybody is a looser because of this. But Trump is chosen by the US people and that is what the People want.

Rohit6 : Congrats for Tepper Admit.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Last edited by kinjiGC on 16 Apr 2017, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 12:09
@kinjiGC thanks for the inputs. Is this for few specific schools/ industry or across schools and industry. I have been hearing similar instances from current students ( both internship and full time) across schools.
Do you see this getting better, otherwise with the cost and debt it will be a nightmare.

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
CrackuM7 wrote:
kinjiGC thanks for the inputs. Is this for few specific schools/ industry or across schools and industry. I have been hearing similar instances from current students ( both internship and full time) across schools.
Do you see this getting better, otherwise with the cost and debt it will be a nightmare.

When it comes to H1B sponsorship, the problems are there. It is logical that higher the ranking of the school, less severe the problem is.

For better understanding, talk to current students to understand the problem better in the schools you are admitted/applying.

Strongly suggest, wait and watch. There is no clarity about the companies and some big names have stopped sponsoring all together.

At the same time, Tepper is putting lot of effort to help all of us. There is no denying. Tepper's COC is award winning. The problem is company's reluctance to take risks. It won't be wrong to compare the situation with 2008 recession, but only difference is, the problem is only for internationals. My classmates who are citizens or green cards, they are sitting pretty with tons of offers.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961

Intern
Intern
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 13:25
kinjiGC wrote:

I am not sure whether anybody is in US and is interviewing and I am. Lots of companies have stopped sponsoring who were sponsoring tons of the MBA in the previous years. There are lot of uncertainties with the companies and I have been pulled out of interviews just because of the H1B sponsorship. So I will strongly suggest wait and watch.

theincredible and Rohit6 : Everybody is a looser because of this. But Trump is chosen by the US people and that is what the People want.

@kinjigc.. Thanks a lot for your views. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you for posting the truth on the forum. Coming from someone who is at Tepper, your post illustrates the on ground situation in US. I have been hearing the same from few of my friends in US. I hope this will silence the cacophony of the coaching centers such as e gmat and others who have been trying to paint a rainbow over the dark sky.
I sincerely hope you get a shot at some good interviews and end up getting a top notch job. I am sure there are lots of companies willing to hire a talent such as you. Please keep us updated on the situation as it will help a lot of us take the right step.

Thanks again Kinjal!!

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Retired Moderator
P

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 13:55
kinjiGC wrote:

You make a lot of sense
kinjiGC

And given that you are a part of an elite program and still dealing with those issues, i can't even imagine what would student's from Top 40-50 programs would be going through.

I have talked to a few friends of mine.
While talking to them one thing is pretty clear =>As of now there is no such"BOON" that this article is claiming.

I hope the situation gets eased out.

I have a question for you -> What are the odds of landing a typical Post MBA (say consulting/finance) Job in Europe after a US-MBA
Are any of your classmates thinking about the same.

Also do you have any specific timeline for the "wait and watch" advice.
Do you think the situation can change in the near future say 1-2 years.

Regards
Stone Cold

Give me a hell yeah ...!!!!!

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 18:13
kinjiGC
Hi Buddy,
Appreciate your responses and good to see discussion going on this topic.
On the subject itself, I've been actively talking to current students at the school which I'm joining (Kellogg) and I haven't seen any additional nervousness in students. Sure, recruiting for internationals is tough but almost every1 told that it's as tough as it has always been in last few years.

stonecold
I'm exploring option of looking jobs in EU/UAE/Asia region post my US-MBA and largely what I'm getting to understand is that it's not an easy sell. Think about it, why wouldn't an EU company not hire from top EU schools instead? A US degree might help in geographies where education system is premature such as in UAE/Asia but again to get a job in any geography takes a lot of time as you'll need to network and make those amazing applications and given the limited time you'll have during/after the MBA program it's more beneficial to focus on only one geography which most logically happen to be US.

Top Contributor
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1077 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 18:35
Top Contributor
Rohit6 wrote:
kinjiGC
Hi Buddy,
On the subject itself, I've been actively talking to current students at the school which I'm joining (Kellogg) and I haven't seen any additional nervousness in students. Sure, recruiting for internationals is tough but almost every1 told that it's as tough as it has always been in last few years.

Oh if that is the case with Kellogg, that's awesome. My networks in Kellogg 2 year full time MBA says differently. But its fine, may be its good there.

Thanks,
Kinjal

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 18:47
That's what I learned from folks whom I talked to over last few days... I have talked to like 5-7 people and also to my admissions director. Having said that, I think it also depends on the industry you're recruiting for. In my experience, Tech. guys seemed much more confident than others.

kinjiGC wrote:
Rohit6 wrote:
kinjiGC
Hi Buddy,

Oh if that is the case with Kellogg, that's awesome. My networks in Kellogg 2 year full time MBA says differently. But its fine, may be its good there.

Top Contributor
Current Student

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 18:55
Top Contributor
Rohit6 wrote:
That's what I learned from folks whom I talked to over last few days... I have talked to like 5-7 people and also to my admissions director. Having said that, I think it also depends on the industry you're recruiting for. In my experience, Tech. guys seemed much more confident than others.

kinjiGC wrote:
Rohit6 wrote:
kinjiGC
Hi Buddy,

Nice, I am recruiting for Tech. I have been in Tech industry for 9 years before coming to Tepper. I interned at Tech.

I guess Kellogg might be good. All the best :)

Thanks,
Kinjal

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 06:12
Hi Everyone, the more I am talking to Indian students and alumni across schools in US, the more negative statements I am receiving, and everyone is suggesting to wait and watch and let go this year's admit or request for deferral.
There seems to be uncertainty and struggle for Internships and full time opportunities, and with expected developments ( from Trump) it might get worse.
What do you guys suggest.

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 916 [0], given: 67

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 06:28
CrackuM7 wrote:
Hi Everyone, the more I am talking to Indian students and alumni across schools in US, the more negative statements I am receiving, and everyone is suggesting to wait and watch and let go this year's admit or request for deferral.
There seems to be uncertainty and struggle for Internships and full time opportunities, and with expected developments ( from Trump) it might get worse.
What do you guys suggest.

3 of my friends are doing their MBA/MS from US and they all suggested me to defer. Even they are facing issues while find a job. I am not sure what is going to happen. :(

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 916 [0], given: 67

Re: H-1B Visa changes – A Potential Boon for MBA Applicants   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2017, 06:28

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 60 posts ] 

H-1B Visa changes – A Potential Boon for MBA Applicants

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap