Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 01:23 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 01:23
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 31346 [35]
Given Kudos: 643
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V48
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 9000 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5471 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: H-1B Visa changes – A Potential Boon for MBA Applicants [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Great article. Kudos!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Passing and implementing a bill may takes months, may be even years...How does one make a decision if he's targeting an MBA this year?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 9000 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
rohitbansal1507 wrote:
Passing and implementing a bill may takes months, may be even years...How does one make a decision if he's targeting an MBA this year?

That is the gamble prospective students this year have to take else move to a country with fewer restrictions on immigration . :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Send PM
True..This is a bit of gamble...What I'm trying to understand is if its worth the risk...
For a person joining in 2017 he/she will start recruiting for internships in Jan '18. It's a surety no bill will be passed by then. Moreover, if any bill is passed after April '18 then that will be applicable for the next fiscal year, by that time the damage would have already been done.
Also, even if the existing rule prevails, then these IT companies will be tempted to put more applications as this may be there last chance to get the free ride. This will makes things even worse for an MBA grad.

Moreover, I'm connecting with folks in US and I learned that many companies (and I mean big firms that recruit heavily from top 20 MBA programs) have already freezed hiring for international students in 2016-17 owing to the uncertainty.

Is it really a gamble or wishful thinking for some1 going to US this year for MBA? :lol:

Skywalker18 wrote:
rohitbansal1507 wrote:

That is the gamble prospective students this year have to take else move to a country with fewer restrictions on immigration . :wink:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1370 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
rohitbansal1507 wrote:
Moreover, I'm connecting with folks in US and I learned that many companies (and I mean big firms that recruit heavily from top 20 MBA programs) have already freezed hiring for international students in 2016-17 owing to the uncertainty.

I was in contact with different nationalities in Ross and KF. Both agreed that till today they have not seen any change of behavior of companies recruiting international students. Some of them have secured jobs. They cited different companies in different fields.

We can wait and see and wish the best.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 4
Send PM
Well written article! It would just be a waste of time and money, especially a FT MBA, if you end up jobless with a huge debt :(
In the proposed bills, there is a statement to eliminate the Master's degree exemption. Doesn't this work against international candidates?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 31346 [0]
Given Kudos: 643
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
H-1B Visa changes – A Potential Boon for MBA Applicants [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I understand the concerns that a number of you have regarding the proposed changes to H-1B. First of all, you should be concerned and closely watch any changes to the Visa process. However, some of you are missing the crux of proposed regulations. Hence, please read below:

1. H-1B was designed to enable students such as yourself i.e. those who complete their Masters and MBAs from elite universities to work here. You guys are not abusing the system, a good number of folks from companies such as TCS, Infosys, Satyam etc. are. Because of this abuse, legitimate candidates (you) are unable to secure a Visa because of the upper cap on the number of Visas issued.
2. The proposed regulations primarily seek to address this abuse, hence making more visas available for deserving candidates such as yourself.
3. Duration of OPT: Nothing changes for MBA students. It currently is 1 Year, and will remain the same. For STEM students (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths), there is a proposal that the duration of OPT be reduced. Again this is a secondary agenda item in the proposal, and there is a good chance that the duration will continue to be same.
4. The same companies that hire International MBA students (about 20% of all companies that recruit on campuses) are currently fighting to ensure that these changes are passed in a fair manner.
5. One more thing – H-1B visa is not an immigrant visa. There is no negative impact on immigration policies as a part of these proposals (nothing that pertains to you guys anyway). In fact, some bills want to make immigration easier for H-1B visa holders.

Lastly, remember these are proposals. These proposals are debated, amended, and then passed. The purpose of these proposals is to make it easier for you to secure a Visa. Hence, watch them closely but don’t be afraid of them. Don’t let this give you a reason to procrastinate your GMAT Preparation or MBA application. At the same time should you look at other international B-Schools – Absolutely!! Especially if they provide the same/similar value that US B-Schools provide.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
egmat wrote:
I understand the concerns that a number of you have regarding the proposed changes to H-1B. First of all, you should be concerned and closely watch any changes to the Visa process. However, some of you are missing the crux of proposed regulations. Hence, please read below:

1. H-1B was designed to enable students such as yourself i.e. those who complete their Masters and MBAs from elite universities to work here. You guys are not abusing the system, a good number of folks from companies such as TCS, Infosys, Satyam etc. are. Because of this abuse, legitimate candidates (you) are unable to secure a Visa because of the upper cap on the number of Visas issued.
2. The proposed regulations primarily seek to address this abuse, hence making more visas available for deserving candidates such as yourself.
3. Duration of OPT: Nothing changes for MBA students. It currently is 1 Year, and will remain the same. For STEM students (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths), there is a proposal that the duration of OPT be reduced. Again this is a secondary agenda item in the proposal, and there is a good chance that the duration will continue to be same.
4. The same companies that hire International MBA students (about 20% of all companies that recruit on campuses) are currently fighting to ensure that these changes are passed in a fair manner.
5. One more thing – H-1B visa is not an immigrant visa. There is no negative impact on immigration policies as a part of these proposals (nothing that pertains to you guys anyway). In fact, some bills want to make immigration easier for H-1B visa holders.

Lastly, remember these are proposals. These proposals are debated, amended, and then passed. The purpose of these proposals is to make it easier for you to secure a Visa. Hence, watch them closely but don’t be afraid of them. Don’t let this give you a reason to procrastinate your GMAT Preparation or MBA application. At the same time should you look at other international B-Schools – Absolutely!! Especially if they provide the same/similar value that US B-Schools provide.

Hi Payal,

I am a prospective MBA candidate and have been following the developments closely. Although I agree with a few of your points, but it seems you have correlated a lot of information and come to unwarranted conclusion. Being a GMAT prep company, I can understand the positive bias but I believe I can add a few more points to this conversation.

1. There is off course an abuse by the so called software outsourcing companies who send herd of undeserving techies to US. But before concluding the impact of policies, we should try to understand what the Donald trump led government is trying to achieve. It is trying to weed out not only this blatant visa abuse but limit IMMIGRATIION in general. It is trying to bring more jobs for American people in every sector. Post MBA industries are not an exception. International students studying MBA are IMMIGRANTS and will be looking for jobs in the US. Donald Trump has said nothing reassuring about students studying in US universities. There goes the political side of the story.

2. Policies are not going to adjust to economic realities, but economy will adjust to policies. So companies are already cautious in hiring international MBA graduates. Even if yuo don't believe this, let's hear what GMAC survey has to say. If anyone has gone through the GMAC survey, less than 25% companies in US are willing to hire international students this year. This shows the reality and the survey results have been published!

3. As to your point about companies taking care to ensure that visa changes are not biased, let me assure you that companies (however large they may be) have ABSOLUTELY NO SAY in this matter!! Why do you think top executives of Google, Facebook and Microsoft have taken to streets and protesting? Why do you think they didn't try to pressurize the government using their powerful lobbies? This government has broken many myths about US politics and will continue to do so. Let's not assume(at least for now) the visa policy decisions will be taken with the intention to encourage international students.

4. Last but not the least, the proposal to increase the minimum salary of H1-B visa holders to $1,30,000 will negatively impact MBA hiring. The chances of this figure reducing is very high, but the minimum salary is going to increase. By how much will the figure increase, no one is sure. Most importantly, this proposal just shows the mindset of the government. This shows that it is willing to DISCOURAGE people from applying for H1-B visa.

I respect your analysis and as you rightly pointed out, these are proposals. But you are getting ahead of yourself in painting a rosy picture. Let's be realistic and take things at face value. It's also possible that a new visa might be introduced for international students so that they might not apply for H1-B, there is no official word yet. My advice would be to wait and watch. If you are willing to take the risk, I will appreciate your courage. But since I have to take out a large loan, I am still waiting for the haze to clear!

I also thank ashwink and Rohit6 have added some valuable points.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dear Payal,
Thanks a lot for your detailed response. Good to connect with you months after attending your live classes :lol:

Coming to the topic, I agree we aren't the folks who are abusing the system but the reality of the day is we suffer more than the folks who actually abuse. While this pisses me off sometimes but then I think of what Bill Gates once said: "Life is not fair, get used to it".

There are so many who have already suffered in last 2-3 years and possibly the trend won't change in at least next 1-2 years.

At this point, I really don't care about the "intention" of H1B or the politics around it. Fact is my friends from Stanford, Kellogg and Wharton are returning back to India for lack of H1B sponsors while those who went to tier-2 colleges in India and joined IT firms are working in US on H1B and preparing there GC applications.

I'm not sure who's at gain/loss here. This is how it is. Sad but true...

egmat wrote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Rohit6 : I also have a friend who is an alumnus of Tepper. He was working in a small boutique consulting firm. He was told to leave the firm. Now he is searching for a job in Canada. We are on very shaky grounds now.
If you don't mind me asking, are you still planning to pursue your MBA this year? Or you are looking to do in some other country such as Canada? Just wanted to know your viewpoint.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Duke '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Hello theincredible!
Is it possible to find a job in Canada after MBA in USA? I mean in visa terms - is it tough or not very?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
BagretsovaN wrote:
Hello theincredible!
Is it possible to find a job in Canada after MBA in USA? I mean in visa terms - is it tough or not very?

BagretsovaN : Hi there, things are pretty much simple in Canada. Its pretty much easier to find jobs in Canada and visa policies are encouraging for international students. Although the Canadian economy is not as big as US, jobs are plenty, especially in business hubs such as Toronto and Vancouver. I think Canada seem like the better option right now.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi theincredible!

I know that Canadian legislation toward international students is more favoritable, but is the same for international students who studied on other countries such as USA? However, the top MBA programs in USA are much higher in the ratings than Canadian. Education is for the whole life, not only to get the first job. So I consider option to get the degree in USA, and in case of visa problems try to get a visa/job in Canada.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
BagretsovaN wrote:
Hi theincredible!

I know that Canadian legislation toward international students is more favoritable, but is the same for international students who studied on other countries such as USA? However, the top MBA programs in USA are much higher in the ratings than Canadian. Education is for the whole life, not only to get the first job. So I consider option to get the degree in USA, and in case of visa problems try to get a visa/job in Canada.

I agree with you about getting a quality education from higher ranked US colleges. As far as Canadian job market is concerned, it has enough jobs for Canadian MBA grads. I believe you can get a decent job in Canada after graduating out of a good US college (with slightly lower pay). However, there is a silver lining. If too many US MBA grads start looking for jobs in Canada, there could be an issue. Remember, the number of students in Canadian MBA schools too will increase and there will not be too many jobs available. That's my viewpoint.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'm still going to do an MBA from US. I'm hopefully putting down my ISB admit and choosing a top US program.

theincredible wrote:
Rohit6 : I also have a friend who is an alumnus of Tepper. He was working in a small boutique consulting firm. He was told to leave the firm. Now he is searching for a job in Canada. We are on very shaky grounds now.
If you don't mind me asking, are you still planning to pursue your MBA this year? Or you are looking to do in some other country such as Canada? Just wanted to know your viewpoint.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Rohit6 wrote:
I'm still going to do an MBA from US. I'm hopefully putting down my ISB admit and choosing a top US program.

theincredible wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I wish you all the best for your future!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
theincredible, thank you for your point of view.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5