GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Feb 2019, 16:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

February 20, 2019

February 20, 2019

08:00 PM EST

09:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. Wednesday, February 20th at 8 PM EST
  • Online GMAT boot camp for FREE

February 21, 2019

February 21, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Kick off your 2019 GMAT prep with a free 7-day boot camp that includes free online lessons, webinars, and a full GMAT course access. Limited for the first 99 registrants! Feb. 21st until the 27th.

HELP: Study plan for improving quant in 20 days

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
HELP: Study plan for improving quant in 20 days  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2019, 10:28
I did my first test today and was pretty bombed seeing my results. Im kind of lost at the moment so i appreciate any help.

Context: my deadlines for application are end of February. I can retake my exam at the 20th February.

My score is 550, with a verbal of 81 % and quant of 18 % (dont remember the exact scores). All my mock test were above 600 with verbal being around 80 % constantly and quant ranging from 40 % to 65 %.

I had a very bad day, and got questions i were just totally lost on. For example i got practically the same 3 times (geometry, triangles or parallellograms inside a square) and didn't know how to answer each one.

My goals are ca. 650+ with both scores above 65% (which i managed on one mock exam prior).

Can someone provide me useful resources to diagnose my areas of weakness and schedule a plan for the next 20 days? I can put in at least 5 hours every single day.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
HELP: Study plan for improving quant in 20 days  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2019, 13:46
Christ0montana wrote:
I did my first test today and was pretty bombed seeing my results. Im kind of lost at the moment so i appreciate any help.

Context: my deadlines for application are end of February. I can retake my exam at the 20th February.

My score is 550, with a verbal of 81 % and quant of 18 % (dont remember the exact scores). All my mock test were above 600 with verbal being around 80 % constantly and quant ranging from 40 % to 65 %.

I had a very bad day, and got questions i were just totally lost on. For example i got practically the same 3 times (geometry, triangles or parallellograms inside a square) and didn't know how to answer each one.

My goals are ca. 650+ with both scores above 65% (which i managed on one mock exam prior).

Can someone provide me useful resources to diagnose my areas of weakness and schedule a plan for the next 20 days? I can put in at least 5 hours every single day.

It seems that your quant score is not good. You can try "target test prep", "quantum GMAT" or "Wizako", empowergmat for quant part. They're very good for quant part.
All the best to you.

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: HELP: Study plan for improving quant in 20 days  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2019, 05:00
Christ0montana wrote:

Hi Christ0montana,

You can try out the TTP course as it is phenomenal and covers the entire syllabus really well. Plus it has great reviews on GMATCLUB. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practice tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase the latest version of OG and the Quant review for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ma ... ml?fl=menu

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2019, 17:38

With an 18 percentile, you must have received a very low sectional score in the Quant section. I believe that you still need to have concept clarity on several Quant topics. Having said so, I would advise you to work on your pacing. Were you able to complete all the questions in the Quant section? Did you rush through the last few questions and invariably get a string of incorrect questions at the end? Did you spend more than 3-4 minutes on a few questions? If either of these cases resonates with you, then pacing is indeed an issue for you. In such a circumstance, you must first make a strong time strategy to attack the quant questions on the test. I would advise you to study for 10 days and then reschedule your test based on your next practice test performance.

All the best. :)

Please provide me with kudos in case you like my post. Thank you.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 04:58
DisciplinedPrep wrote:

With an 18 percentile, you must have received a very low sectional score in the Quant section. I believe that you still need to have concept clarity on several Quant topics. Having said so, I would advise you to work on your pacing. Were you able to complete all the questions in the Quant section? Did you rush through the last few questions and invariably get a string of incorrect questions at the end? Did you spend more than 3-4 minutes on a few questions? If either of these cases resonates with you, then pacing is indeed an issue for you. In such a circumstance, you must first make a strong time strategy to attack the quant questions on the test. I would advise you to study for 10 days and then reschedule your test based on your next practice test performance.

All the best. :)

Thank you for the kind reply, as well as to the two posters above you for the ressources.

On my two Mock Exams on the official page i scored a 43 and 39 on my two tries, at the real test i only got a 31 however. I really struggled with the environment, the stress and somehow got questions that i was completely lost on. I definitively have some areas where my fundamentals are horrible, geometry beeing the worst, followed by algrebraic manipulation of formulas with fractions and powers in them... Which is what i am currently training hard.

As for pacing: no, i was not able to complete it. Actually, i was never able to complete any quant section on time, i usally end up with around 10 questions left in the last 10 minutes which i then try to guess / go through more quickly than usual. What do you think is the better strategy: 1. skipping a questions that you don't understand withing the first 15 or so seconds to save time for other questions or try them anyways leaving the last questions for guessing? I try to be faster but need a good 3 minutes at least to answer any question that has several calculations in them. For DS i usually don't write down anything at all if i don't have to, instead try to imagine if the information is sufficient by thinking of a equation or plugging in numbers in my head.

Sadly i cannot reshedule, my application deadline is the end of february for my top 5 universities, and around my location there is only a single test day that i can attend, beeing the 21st. I need whatever i can get up to that date, hopefully getting upwards of 650+ as a target. My Verbal usually carries my score somewhat, but i want to get at least a 45 on Quant.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: HELP: Study plan for improving quant in 20 days   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2019, 04:58

HELP: Study plan for improving quant in 20 days

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap