Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619223 [17]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619223 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [2]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
+HOT Competition 4 Sep/9AM: The current lemur population of Madagascar [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Sneaky:
the population of India in 1992 was under 100 crores.
current population of India is :xx
the population of India will drop in 2025

the current population of India is today's population.
If we say current populaiton will drop then how today's population can drop in future. Future has new number of population, so we can say population then will be xx

A. current lemur population of Madagascar of roughly 2,000 will drop below 1,000 within five years if present trends are not reversed through either government action or
Simple and concise but made big flaw in making the sentence short and concise by using current population will drop-sneaky-wrong

B. current lemur population of Madagascar is roughly 2,000 and will drop below 1,000 within five years if present trends were not reversed either through government action or through
present trends were: wrong

C. lemur population of Madagascar is currently roughly 2,000, which will drop below 1,000 within five years if present trends would not be reversed either through government action or
Either through or -wrong

D. lemur population of Madagascar is currently roughly 2,000 and will drop below 1,000 within five years if present trends are not reversed either through government action or through
Wordy: Is roughly and will but no other better option logically and grammatically -correct

E. current rough lemur population of Madagascar is 2,000; this would drop below 1,000 within five years if present trends were not reversed either through government action or
Either through or -wrong

Originally posted by mSKR on 04 Sep 2020, 09:31.
Last edited by mSKR on 05 Sep 2020, 10:36, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [1]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Re: +HOT Competition 4 Sep/9AM: The current lemur population of Madagascar [#permalink]
Kudos
Parallelism. Tense use.

A. current lemur population of Madagascar of roughly 2,000 will drop below 1,000 within five years if present trends are not reversed through either government action or

Omits the word "through" after the word "or". Lacks parallel structures.

B. current lemur population of Madagascar is roughly 2,000 and will drop below 1,000 within five years if present trends were not reversed either through government action or through

Improperly changes the tense.

C. lemur population of Madagascar is currently roughly 2,000, which will drop below 1,000 within five years if present trends would not be reversed either through government action or

Improperly changes the tense. The phrase "would not be" needlessly changes the original meaning.

D. lemur population of Madagascar is currently roughly 2,000 and will drop below 1,000 within five years if present trends are not reversed either through government action or through

Correctly uses parallen forms ("through... or through...").

E. current rough lemur population of Madagascar is 2,000; this would drop below 1,000 within five years if present trends were not reversed either through government action or

Improperly changes the tense. Omits use of parallel forms.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [0]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
Re: +HOT Competition 4 Sep/9AM: The current lemur population of Madagascar [#permalink]
Dear AnthonyRitz

I failed to eliminate choice A for the reason mentioned in the OE, which says that “current population will drop” is illogical.

Could you please take a look at this official problem? Does choice B introduce a similar logical flaw?

B. About 20 percent of young adults used cocaine in 1979, to double the number the 1977 survey reported.

I mean that “the number the 1977 survey reported” will remain unchanged in any following year as the statistics about 1977. i.e. the number reported for 1977 cannot be doubled in 1979. Do I have the right idea?

I would much appreciate if you could share other problems known to you with similar lapse, if at hand. I seem to still fail to fully realize why A is wrong. Many thanks in advance.
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [1]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
+HOT Competition 4 Sep/9AM: The current lemur population of Madagascar [#permalink]
Kudos
JonShukhrat wrote:
Dear AnthonyRitz

I failed to eliminate choice A for the reason mentioned in the OE, which says that “current population will drop” is illogical.

Could you please take a look at this official problem? Does choice B introduce a similar logical flaw?

B. About 20 percent of young adults used cocaine in 1979, to double the number the 1977 survey reported.

I mean that “the number the 1977 survey reported” will remain unchanged in any following year as the statistics about 1977. i.e. the number reported for 1977 cannot be doubled in 1979. Do I have the right idea?

I would much appreciate if you could share other problems known to you with similar lapse, if at hand. I seem to still fail to fully realize why A is wrong. Many thanks in advance.

The question you cited isn't quite the same for me, and I'd mostly eliminate B on the basis of the stray "to" -- which makes it sound like they used cocaine for the purpose of doubling the survey result. But I also sort of see where you're coming from in terms of "doubling the 1977 number"; I'm just not sure how much of a problem that would really be.

For a question that has an analogous error to the problem in this thread, check out this one (A vs. B, primarily): https://gmatclub.com/forum/whereas-line ... 36608.html

Also try this:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/before-scien ... 22778.html

Originally posted by AnthonyRitz on 11 Sep 2020, 11:41.
Last edited by AnthonyRitz on 21 Sep 2020, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

Send PM
Kudos
By the way, here's the New York Times on the matter:

New York Times wrote:
The current minimum wage in California is $10.50 and will reach $15 by 2022.

Phillip B. Corbett, New York Times wrote:
The same subject (“the current minimum wage”) is supposed to go with both verbs. But that doesn’t work here – it’s not true that “the current minimum wage” will reach $15 by 2022. One fix: “The minimum wage in California is currently $10.50, and will reach …”
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [0]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
Dear AnthonyRitz

Thank you very much for the excerpt. I am still exploring “Copy Edit This!”.

The expert, though, makes me even more think that the logical flaws are pretty similar.
“the current minimum wage” is a statistic that is true for 2020. The statistic for 2022 can be called “the future minimum wage”, not “current”. Hence, we simply use “the minimum wage”. The same is true for “the current lemur population”. Now let’s take choice B:

Similarly, “the number the 1977 survey reported” is a statistic that is true only for 1977, and it won’t change anytime after. I found this post here and share the author’s point. (This split between A and D, however, seems so subtle that I can miss it again under a time constraint.)

I juxtaposed A and B of “lines of competition” problem, and would much appreciate if you could check my line of reasoning:

A. ...as companies that compete one day may be partners the next.
B. ...as competing companies one day may be partners the next.

A states that “companies” can perform two different actions, whereas B states that “competitors may be partners” – sounds as if “living dead”?

Send PM
Kudos
JonShukhrat wrote:
Dear AnthonyRitz

Thank you very much for the excerpt. I am still exploring “Copy Edit This!”.

The expert, though, makes me even more think that the logical flaws are pretty similar.
“the current minimum wage” is a statistic that is true for 2020. The statistic for 2022 can be called “the future minimum wage”, not “current”. Hence, we simply use “the minimum wage”. The same is true for “the current lemur population”. Now let’s take choice B:

Similarly, “the number the 1977 survey reported” is a statistic that is true only for 1977, and it won’t change anytime after. I found this post here and share the author’s point. (This split between A and D, however, seems so subtle that I can miss it again under a time constraint.)

I juxtaposed A and B of “lines of competition” problem, and would much appreciate if you could check my line of reasoning:

A. ...as companies that compete one day may be partners the next.
B. ...as competing companies one day may be partners the next.

A states that “companies” can perform two different actions, whereas B states that “competitors may be partners” – sounds as if “living dead”?

Yes, that's exactly the reasoning I was pointing out between A and B in the "lines of competition" question. I think that your "living dead" analogy is very appropriate -- it's the same sort of oxymoron.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts