Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GRE 1: Q168 V156
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Send PM
Re: How Accurate is GMAT Prep? [#permalink]
Kudos
CLTpkg wrote:
Hi @jxav - Assuming you are talking about the official GMATprep software, it is the most accurate mock test that you can take. These practice exams draw on retired official test questions.

The algorithm is quite complex - I wouldn't worry about trying to understand it on an extremely deep level. Do know, however, that it does not depend solely on the number of questions you answer correctly, but also on the difficulty level of those questions.

Additionally, remember that it is always better to guess on quant questions than to leave them blank. For verbal the strategy can be slightly different, but considering you are already scoring at a relatively high level on the quant, you are seriously limiting yourself by leaving questions blank.

Hope this helps and good luck on the real thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi @CLTpkg

Actually I did my 2nd test with exactly the mindset of finishing the section even if my last set of questions is answered solely on guesses and I just did exactly that.

I just reviewed my 2nd test which I guessed the last 4 questions with all 4 wrong as a result (got a 47 as a result). I leave the final 5 Questions blank on my first test and got a 44. I think this reconfirm that GMAT really gives severe penalty for unanswered questions. There are a lot of other factors as you mentioned such as difficulty of correctly answered questions etc, but I'm pretty convinced now that it is much better to guess than to leave it blank.

Regards.

Sent from my SM-G935F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
Send PM
Due to my experience I can say that most of the practice tests from the usual suspects (Kaplan, Veritas, Manhattan Prep, etc) are fairly good predictors of GMAT scores. Gmat Prep has to be at least as good as them since it features "real questions". However, I did find that the GMAT Prep Practice tests were considerably easier than all the other practice tests I took. Gmat Prep Practice Tests were also better since in my experience they were the most similar to the real GMAT.
If you're taking the practice tests to gauge your potential score keep in mind that a practice test can only give you a good score prediction if you take as many tests as possible to rule out any false results and also if they are taken in real-test conditions. Try to mimic real test conditions by always taking and completing all sections of the exam to the best of your abilities and by timing yourself as if you were taking the real GMAT. Keep in mind that scores of practice tests that you have already taken may not be good predictors since you've already answered those questions before.
Practice as many problems as you can and review and redo all problems that you get wrong and you'll keep improving!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
jxav wrote:
I have taken GMAT Prep tests on 2 separate occassions, which were on 1st of April and 9th of April. I got an exact amount of score with just different score distributions between verbal and quant. I got 660 (44Q, 37V with 5 unanswered Q questions) on my 1st test and another 660 on my 2nd (47Q, 35V with another time issue on last 3 Quant questions but I make a guess instead of leaving it blank, all wrong though).

Interestingly I actually made less mistakes on my verbal section on my 2nd attempt (10 wrong answers compared to 13 in the 1st one). I have heard of GMAT unique algorithm and such but this actually made me rather insecure.

I will be taking the test in around 10 days, so I wonder how accurate is GMAT prep actually is?

Thanks for any advice!

relax...from my personal experience its simliar
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I just took the official test today for a try and yes it indeed is really accurate, i got 660 (47Q, 35V), which means i got an exactly same score for the last 3 tests.

GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32881 [1]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi

GMAT Prep is the best tool to measure your standing at GMAT
your both total score are equal because in first test your quant score was less and verbal was more than 2nd test
in 2nd test your verbal score has been declined but quant score has been improved
GMAT Algorithm takes a lot of factors to consider
Current Student
Send PM
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Hi

your both total score are equal because in first test your quant score was less and verbal was more than 2nd test
in 2nd test your verbal score has been declined but quant score has been improved

Hi Sajjad,

Just wanna ask, does the score means that actually I am actually able to potentially score like lets say Q47 and V38 based on my prep? Ofc I feel I need to improve as well in order to maintain a consistently high score of my 700+ goal score.

GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32881 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
jxav wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Hi

Hi Sajjad,

Just wanna ask, does the score means that actually I am actually able to potentially score like lets say Q47 and V38 based on my prep? Ofc I feel I need to improve as well in order to maintain a consistently high score of my 700+ goal score.

If you get for example Q47 an V41 in GMAT prep, it does not mean that you will achieve the same score in real exams
is is just a tool to approximate your score as close to your potential as possible
Current Student
Send PM
SajjadAhmad wrote:
jxav wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Hi

Hi Sajjad,

If you get for example Q47 an V41 in GMAT prep, it does not mean that you will achieve the same score in real exams
is is just a tool to approximate your score as close to your potential as possible

Yes I understand that, I just took an official exam one week ago and get an exact 660 (Q47 V35), i am currently still trying to improve to get my ideal score. Im just wondering if based on my prep I was actually able to get 37-38V bcos I got that score in my prep before. Actually I got a 38V in my first official exam as well, but really poor quant makes me cancelled my score.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Practice your timing, if you could've skipped 2-3 questions that you would've gotten wrong anyways then you would've been able to get the las t2-3 questions correct. Timing is crucial.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Top Contributor
In general, it's as close as you can get as GMATPrep is is made from the makers of the exam.

That said, focus less on the accuracy of the practice tests and more on solid preparation so no matter how difficult or easy the real thing is - you'll still apply the same efficient thought process to each question on test day.

Worrying about how accurate something is in practice does you no good.

If you are looking for additional online computer adaptive tests for practice, you may find this one useful: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... ctice-test
GMAT Club Bot