GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 23:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How many hours does it take 12 machines with identical production rate

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
How many hours does it take 12 machines with identical production rate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2014, 07:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

88% (01:00) correct 12% (01:05) wrong based on 231 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Tough and Tricky questions: Work Problems.

How many hours does it take 12 machines with identical production rates, running simultaneously without stopping, to fill a certain production order ?

(1) It takes each machine alone, running continuously, 60 hours to fill the production order.
(2) It takes 10 of these machines, running simultaneously without stopping, 6 hours to fill the production order.

Kudos for a correct solution.

Concentration: Technology, Finance
GPA: 3.87
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Re: How many hours does it take 12 machines with identical production rate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2014, 08:23
1. one machine can finish in 60hrs. So one machines hour rate 1/60. for 12 machines it will be 12/60 = 1/5 per hour.
So it can finish in 5 hrs,
Sufficient

2.10 machines can complete in 6 hrs
so total 60 hours will take to complete the order for a machine.
the same method as above can be followed to determine the hours.
Sufficient

Ans D
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How many hours does it take 12 machines with identical production rate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2014, 08:52
Bunuel wrote:

How many hours does it take 12 machines with identical production rates, running simultaneously without stopping, to fill a certain production order ?

(1) It takes each machine alone, running continuously, 60 hours to fill the production order.
(2) It takes 10 of these machines, running simultaneously without stopping, 6 hours to fill the production order.

1: sufficient - if it 60hrs for one machine then it will take 5hrs for 12 machines
2: sufficient - 6*10 / 12 = 5

Ans D
GMAT Date: 01-23-2015
GPA: 3
WE: Human Resources (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2014, 11:06
D

Machines are running at identical rate

(a) Sufficient. 1 Machine take 60 hours to fill order.... so rate = 1/60... so it would take 5 hours to complete the order by 12 machines
(b) Sufficient ... 10 machines take 6 hrs... so rate =1/60... so it would take 5 hrs to complete

Answer is D
Director
Director
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2014, 21:52
Bunuel wrote:

St 1 Let rate of each machine be R then Time taken by 12 machines will be (12*R) *Time= Work

St1 1 machine takes 60 hrs so we have 1*R*60=W=12R*T or Time taken by 12 machines =5 hrs

St2 says 10*R*6=12R*T or T=5 hrs...Sufficient

Ans D

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2014, 23:38
1 machine takes 60 hrs so 12 machines take 60/12=5 hrs A suff.
10 machines take 6 hrs so 12 machines will take 10*6/12 =5 hrs. B suff
Hence D
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2014, 11:17
Statement 1: It takes each machine alone, running continuously, 60 hours to fill the production order
60/12 = 5hrs -- Sufficient

Statement 2: It takes 10 of these machines, running simultaneously without stopping, 6 hours to fill the production order
h*12=6*10 --> h=5hrs -- Sufficient

Each Statement alone is sufficient, Answer D
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.26
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2014, 13:05
I would like to point out that every post on this thread so far has figured out the exact time it will take the 12 machines to complete this order. Data sufficiency is not about finding the exact time it takes. Data sufficiency is about knowing that you will get one definite answer. For many questions, finding out the exact number is a waste of time.

For this problem, you have 3 variables: Output, rate, and time. (Output = rate * time)
You know that you need 2 of the 3 variables in order to get one definite answer.

The question stem gives you almost enough for rate, but not quite enough. It does let you know that all of the rates are the same. So if you get the rate for one machine, you have the rate for all the machines.

The first stimulus gives you the rate and the time for one machine. This will be the same for all the machines. Since it gives you 2 of the 3 variables, the first stimulus is sufficient.

The second stimulus gives you the rate and time for ten machines. You know that you can get the information for the individual machines because the rates are the same for all. Since it gives you 2 of the 3 variables, the second stimulus is sufficient.

The answer is D.

Notice that you don't have to calculate anything for this problem to get the answer. You just have to recognize what information you need, and know when that information is provided. Calculating the exact time it takes for the 12 machines is a waste of time for this problem.

Again, I just want to point out that data sufficiency is, much of the time, not about calculating the exact answer. Data sufficiency is about knowing that you have enough information to get one definite answer.

Hope this helps!
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2014, 09:10
Bunuel wrote:

The correct answer is D. Good job everyone!
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2016, 04:18
hi Bunuel

One doubt...

If the question stem states different rates for machines then B is not sufficient right??????
Board of Directors
V
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2016, 05:17
jayantheinstein wrote:
hi Bunuel

One doubt...

If the question stem states different rates for machines then B is not sufficient right??????

Yes, in that case B would be insufficient.
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
Board of Directors
D
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2016, 05:40
Bunuel wrote:

From (1)
Quote:
It takes each machine alone, running continuously, 60 hours to fill the production order.

So, let total work be 60 units
Thus 12 machines will take \(\frac{60}{12} = 5\ hours\)

From (2)
Quote:
It takes 10 of these machines, running simultaneously without stopping, 6 hours to fill the production order.

So, let total work be 60 units
Thus 12 machines will take \(\frac{60}{12} = 5\ hours\)

Thus EACH statement ALONE is sufficient to answer the question asked, answer will be (D)

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 09:32
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: How many hours does it take 12 machines with identical production rate   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2018, 09:32

How many hours does it take 12 machines with identical production rate

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics