It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 14:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I have struggled with As/ Like and now I can nail any damn

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 89

Re: I have struggled with As/ Like and now I can nail any damn [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2017, 02:08
Can i get the explanation for questions ... or question 1 and two

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 89

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 6

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 00:50
Please reply with all correct answers applicable for above questions.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

GPA: 3
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 11:55
11. In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in middle management and light industry.
A. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in
B. as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in
C. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in.
D. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are.
E. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in.

Why the answer a is incorrect ? I see why c is correct but in the mgmat book they say we can use some of which + verb or some of them without verb

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Expert Post
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1621 [1], given: 404

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 08:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
LHC8717, the main issue in A is that the "which" is incorrect. Generally speaking, the word "which" can't modify or refer to people -- just things. "Them" can refer to the women here, but "which" cannot.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses

Kudos [?]: 1621 [1], given: 404

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 18

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.61

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2017, 04:04
If this sentence is correct:

Like Haydn, Schubert wrote a great deal for the stage, but he is remembered principally for his chamber and concert-hall music.

Then why is this sentence incorrect:

Like Jasper Johns, Larry Cornell, and other modern artists did, Robert Rauschenberg disdained the use of realistic figures in his paintings and sought instead a reduction of the classical tenets of form and structure

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.61

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2017, 06:07
seekmba wrote:
1. More than thirty years ago Dr. Barbara Mc-Clintock, the Nobel Prize winner, reported that genes can “jump,” as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another.
(A) as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another
(B) like pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another
(C) as pearls do that move mysteriously from one necklace to others
(D) like pearls do that move mysteriously from one necklace to others
(E) as do pearls that move mysteriously from one necklace to some other one

2. Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power only after a long struggle by the native people.

(A) Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power
(B) Before independence in 1947, Britain had ruled India as a colony and relinquished power
(C) Before its independence in 1947, India was ruled by Britain as a colony and they relinquished power
(D) Before independence in 1947, India had been ruled as a colony by Britain, which relinquished power
(E) Before independence in 1947, India had been a colony of the British, who relinquished power

3. As rare as something becomes, be it a baseball card or a musical recording or a postage stamp, the more avidly it is sought by collectors.
(A) As rare as something becomes, be it
(B) As rare as something becomes, whether it is
(C) As something becomes rarer and rarer, like
(D) The rarer something becomes, like
(E) The rarer something becomes, whether it is - "The rarer something" is parallel with "The more avidly"

4. In the 1980's the rate of increase of the minority population of the united states was nearly twice as fast as the 1970's.
A.twice as fast as
B.twice as fast as it was in
C.twice what it was in
D.two times faster than that of
E.two times greater than

As nusmavrik gave the hint that 'increase' is redundant with 'as fast as'. That leaves C and E. We need "in the 1970's" to be parallel with "in the 1980's". Hence C.

5. In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at about the same distance and in about the same position, some 25 degrees above the horizon, that Halley’s comet will pass the next time it appears.
(A) that Halley’s comet will pass
(B) that Halley’s comet is to be passing
(C) as Halley’s comet
(D) as will Halley’s comet
(E) as Halley’s comet will do

We need 'as' for comparing clauses. We also need 'will' to indicate future tense. That leaves D and E.
In option E, 'do' (present tense verb) is an ellipsis, which means the same verb tense should be already present in the sentence. So E is incorrect.

D it is.

6. Based on recent box office receipts, the public's appetite for documentary films, like nonfiction books, seems to be on the rise.
A like nonfiction books
B as nonfiction books
C as its interest in nonfiction books
D like their interest in nonfiction books
E like its interest in nonfiction books

We need 'like' because public's appetite is compared with public's interest. 'public' is singular. Hence E.

In question 6, what does "its" refer to? public has not been established in the previous part of the sentence.

Expert Post
Top Contributor
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1621 [0], given: 404

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 08:33
Expert's post
Top Contributor
Quote:
Like Haydn, Schubert wrote a great deal for the stage, but he is remembered principally for his chamber and concert-hall music.

"Like Haydn, Schubert..." compares two nouns ("like noun, noun..."). So the use of "like" is correct.

Quote:
Like Jasper Johns, Larry Cornell, and other modern artists did, Robert Rauschenberg...

Structurally, this no longer compares two nouns. Once you add the verb "did', the comparison is between two nouns with two verbs ("Like noun verb, noun verb..."), and you'll need to use "as" instead.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses

Kudos [?]: 1621 [0], given: 404

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 09:39
abhijay wrote:
Then why is this sentence incorrect:

Like Jasper Johns, Larry Cornell, and other modern artists did, Robert Rauschenberg disdained the use of realistic figures in his paintings and sought instead a reduction of the classical tenets of form and structure

Hi abhijay, like is actually a preposition and so, can only be followed by a noun/noun-phrase. We cannot have a clause after like. Here, the issue is that there is a clause after like and hence, the sentence is incorrect.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses As Vs Like, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Schools: ISB '20
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 03:42
These 20 questions cover all aspects of like v/s as! :)
Thanks for sharing them. My concepts have also been cleared now!

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 268

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 06:40
1) More than thirty years ago Dr. Barbara Mc-Clintock, the Nobel Prize winner, reported that genes can “jump,” as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another.

When ‘as’ is followed by noun, it presents role or function. But the sentence presents a comparison between how genes jump and how pearls jump.

Genes jump like pearls (jump).

(A) as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another
Incorrect
(B) like pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another
Correct
(C) as pearls do that move mysteriously from one necklace to others
Correct version: as pearls move mysteriously from one necklace to another.
(When ‘as’ is used for comparison, it must be followed by a clause).

(D) like pearls do that move mysteriously from one necklace to others
Like is always followed by a noun and not a clause.

(E) as do pearls that move mysteriously from one necklace to some other one
Wordy.

2) Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power only after a long struggle by the native people.

Use of pronoun ‘its’ is ambiguous. It can refer to both Britain and India.
‘they’ is a plural pronoun and refers to what? No plural antecedent.

A. Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power
Incorrect
B. Before independence in 1947, Britain had ruled India as a colony and relinquished power
Incorrect

C. Before its independence in 1947, India was ruled by Britain as a colony and they relinquished power
Incorrect
D. Before independence in 1947, India had been ruled as a colony by Britain, which relinquished power
‘as’ followed by a noun must present role or function but in this case it really does not make sense.

E. Before independence in 1947, India had been a colony of the British, who relinquished power
Correct.

Quick fact: Past perfect tense ‘had + past participle’ is optional when words such as before, after,….are present as they show the sequence of the events.
(I used ‘as’ here and it is correct. Try replacing ‘as’ with because or since. (Reasoning words)).

3. As rare as something becomes, be it a baseball card or a musical recording or a postage stamp, the more avidly it is sought by collectors.

‘Like’ is never used to present examples. We must use ‘such as’ to present examples.

(A) As rare as something becomes, be it
Incorrect.

(B) As rare as something becomes, whether it is
(C) As something becomes rarer and rarer, like
Incorrect
(D) The rarer something becomes, like
Incorrect
(E) The rarer something becomes, whether it is
Correct.
The rarer something………………., the more……………..

4. In the 1980's the rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was nearly twice as fast as the 1970's.
A.twice as fast as
B.twice as fast as it was in
Correct.
Correct comparison.
C.twice what it was in
D.two times faster than that of
E.two times greater than

5. In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at about the same distance and in about the same position, some 25 degrees above the horizon, that Halley’s comet will pass the next time it appears.
(A) that Halley’s comet will pass
(B) that Halley’s comet is to be passing
(C) as Halley’s comet
(D) as will Halley’s comet
Correct.
Future tense is correct to show a future event. Also ‘as’ correctly presents a comparison.
(E) as Halley’s comet will do

6. Based on recent box office receipts, the public's appetite for documentary films, like nonfiction books, seems to be on the rise.
A like nonfiction books
B as nonfiction books
C as its interest in nonfiction books
D like their interest in nonfiction books
E like its interest in nonfiction books
Correct

7. Proponents of artificial intelligence say they will be able to make computers that can
understand English and other human languages, recognize objects, and reason as an
expert does—computers that will be used to diagnose equipment breakdowns,
deciding whether to authorize a loan, or other purposes such as these.

Both ‘like an expert’ and ‘as an expert’ present comparison. So no differentiation here.
The main error is parallelism.

(A) as an expert does—computers that will be used to diagnose equipment
breakdowns, deciding whether to authorize a loan, or other purposes such as
these
(B) as an expert does, which may be used for purposes such as diagnosing
equipment breakdowns or deciding whether to authorize a loan

(C) like an expert—computers that will be used for such purposes as diagnosing
equipment breakdowns or deciding whether to authorize a loan
Correct
(D) like an expert, the use of which would be for purposes like the diagnosis of
equipment breakdowns or the decision whether or not a loan should be
authorized
(E) like an expert, to be used to diagnose equipment breakdowns, deciding
whether to authorize a loan or not, or the like

8. The use of gravity waves, which do not interact with matter in the way electromagnetic waves do, hopefully will enable astronomers to study the actual formation of black holes and neutron stars.
A) in the way electromagnetic waves do, hopefully will enable
Correct
B) in the way electromagnetic waves do, will, it is hoped, enable
C) like electromagnetic waves, hopefully will enable
D) like electromagnetic waves, would enable, hopefully
E) such as electromagnetic waves do, will, it is hoped, enable

9. Salt deposits and moisture threaten to destroy the
Mohenjo-Daro excavation in Pakistan, the site of an
ancient civilization that flourished at the same time
as the civilizations in the Nile Delta and the river
valleys of the Tigris and Euphrates.
(A) that flourished at the same time as the
civilizations
Correct
(B) that had flourished at the same time as had
the civilizations
(C) that flourished at the same time those had
(D) flourishing at the same time as those did
(E) flourishing at the same time as those were

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 268

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 11:30
Ive been having a really hard time with like/as. Ive read countless guides but Im still struggling, specially with Question 11.

I cant understand why option E is wrong in this case. For me we are comparing two nouns, which are "Hungary" and "Eastern Europe" so the use of "like" would be appropriate. Can someone plz explain in detail for me why the use of Like in this case is wrong.

Thank you

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: I have struggled with As/ Like and now I can nail any damn   [#permalink] 20 Jul 2017, 11:30

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 71 posts ] 

I have struggled with As/ Like and now I can nail any damn

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap