Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 08:40 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 08:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: IIM Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Ckal wrote:
HI
I am 30 years old female working in IT sector and have a testing profile.
Current Company Techmahindra
Total experience: 8 years
I have worked with good clients and worked in Banking, capital markets, telecom and retail domains. My major experience is with finance domain.
SSC 84%
+2 79%
B.Tech in Biotechnology 78%
I have worked with various NGOs during engg. Period and initial Infosys days. I have worked for upliftment of children and enjoy it as well.

I have not written GMAT but GRE.
Scored 321 - 166/170 in Quant and 155/170 in verbal and AWA 3/6.
I converted GRE into GMAT and score comes out to be 670.

Please evaluate my profile for IIM EPGP

Posted from my mobile device

Hi,

You have an interesting profile and your experience in financial domain in IT sector makes your profile fairly different from the usual applicant pool. IIM B prefers a diverse mix of candidates and well-structured application can definitely make the right impact with the adcom.

However, you may want to re-take the GRE/GMAT and increase your score to improve your chances.

For a detailed evaluation, kindly reach out to us at beyondthegmat@gmail.com or call us at +91-7022839859
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
WE:Research (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I am planning to give GMAT EXam by July 30. in mocks , i am getting 590 and hoping that i will score in the range of 650-670. i would like to know my chances in IIMB for EGP or in other schools.
Education:
1. M.Tech -chemical Engineer (60%) from Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
2. B. E. -chemical engineering (Aggr. 59.4%) from Mumbai University affiliated college.
3. 12th -74% , State board
4. 10th -79%, state board

professional:
1. presently working in one of the Tata group's company as a lead engineer since 7 years in applied research space. profile involves scouting new and break-through technologies in power space and creating solution using those to benefit the company. a lot of collaborative works and interaction with academic institutes i lead. however the success rate is very low. have published two research papers in Indian journal. also co-author of two patents.
2. worked in other three companies totaling 1.5 years of experience in plant operation, sales and project site work.

Reason to pursue MBA: since i am not doing core work in chemical field so have lost the opportunity to go back in chemical industry with expertise they require at this level. therefore, want to change work profile by moving into technology management space ( techno-commercial space).

request experts to guide me. suggest possible business schools to apply.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ITGMAT wrote:
I am planning to give GMAT EXam by July 30. in mocks , i am getting 590 and hoping that i will score in the range of 650-670. i would like to know my chances in IIMB for EGP or in other schools.
Education:
1. M.Tech -chemical Engineer (60%) from Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
2. B. E. -chemical engineering (Aggr. 59.4%) from Mumbai University affiliated college.

professional:
1. presently working in one of the Tata group's company as a lead engineer since 7 years in applied research space. profile involves scouting new and break-through technologies in power space and creating solution using those to benefit the company. a lot of collaborative works and interaction with academic institutes i lead. however the success rate is very low. have published two research papers in Indian journal. also co-author of two patents.
2. worked in other three companies totaling 1.5 years of experience in plant operation, sales and project site work.

Reason to pursue MBA: since i am not doing core work in chemical field so have lost the opportunity to go back in chemical industry with expertise they require at this level. therefore, want to change work profile by moving into technology management space ( techno-commercial space).

Hi ITGMAT,

Good to read your profile, dude!
Aim for the best GMAT score you can get, preferably above your current target of 670.
A few application tips- MBA applications are all about creating a winning sales pitch. When you write your application, show that you are led by a greater purpose in life to make impact in XXX field and hence your career goals...saying that its the next best thing possible is not impressive enough for the adcoms, but having a passion/ purpose is..... Secondly, let the adcom see that you have done great work at your company and made some impact- the low success rate is only a function of the job- don't take personal responsibility for that.

You can apply to all the IIMs- A, B, C and L. You can also apply to ISB. Infact, as a serious applicant who wishes to study at a business school next year, you should definitely apply to more than one b-school, to maximize your chances of admission.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
Hello ITGMAT

Yours is a mixed bag. The good is that your work ex is different from an avg applicant and career goals may look organic if put forward correctly. (You can read more on career goals here)
The not so good is past academic scores and GMAT. While I understand improving scores drastically in a short period is tough, if you can score a 710+ it will really cement your chances at the likes of EPGP.
If not, you will have to put in double the effort in your applications to really stand out. For that you should add information around key achievements at work, real business impact of your contributions. Also, you have not mentioned anything around your extracurricular activities- that can further add to your diversity. You will need a deadly combination of Acads + Work Ex + Diversity + Career Goals to make it. Since Acads is looking weak, make sure you get the other 3 parts perfect in the application. (You can read more here on how to get admission to the likes of EPGP)
Needless to say, appplying to one program is a gamble look at the one year program at other IIMs and ISB too.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

ITGMAT wrote:
Education:

professional:

Intern
Intern
Send PM
oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hello ITGMAT

Yours is a mixed bag. The good is that your work ex is different from an avg applicant and career goals may look organic if put forward correctly. (You can read more on career goals here)
The not so good is past academic scores and GMAT. While I understand improving scores drastically in a short period is tough, if you can score a 710+ it will really cement your chances at the likes of EPGP.
If not, you will have to put in double the effort in your applications to really stand out. For that you should add information around key achievements at work, real business impact of your contributions. Also, you have not mentioned anything around your extracurricular activities- that can further add to your diversity. You will need a deadly combination of Acads + Work Ex + Diversity + Career Goals to make it. Since Acads is looking weak, make sure you get the other 3 parts perfect in the application. (You can read more here on how to get admission to the likes of EPGP)
Needless to say, appplying to one program is a gamble look at the one year program at other IIMs and ISB too.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

ITGMAT wrote:
Education:

professional:

Thanks for feedback. will do introspection to make application better. Also will try for 700+ score. do you suggest to differed this year admission plan,instead, prepare & get good score and apply next year? will candidate age factor count in admission process.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello ITGMAT

With 7 years work ex age will not be a problem. Next year with 720 is definitely better than this year with 680. But I'll go a step ahead and say, then why not apply in R2? Spend the next 2 months preparing and getting a 720+, apply in R2- best of both worlds.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

ITGMAT wrote:
oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hello ITGMAT

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

ITGMAT wrote:
Education:

professional:

Thanks for feedback. will do introspection to make application better. Also will try for 700+ score. do you suggest to differed this year admission plan,instead, prepare & get good score and apply next year? will candidate age factor count in admission process.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear Varun,
Thanks a lot..I will target 720+ score to apply in round -2. Thank you so much for your time and feedback.

[quote="oneMBAcoach"]Hello ITGMAT

With 7 years work ex age will not be a problem. Next year with 720 is definitely better than this year with 680. But I'll go a step ahead and say, then why not apply in R2? Spend the next 2 months preparing and getting a 720+, apply in R2- best of both worlds.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

[quote="ITGMAT"][quote="oneMBAcoach"]Hello ITGMAT

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:
ITGMAT wrote:
Education:

professional:

Hi ITGMAT,

Aim for the best GMAT score you can get, preferably above your current target of 670.
A few application tips- MBA applications are all about creating a winning sales pitch. When you write your application, show that you are led by a greater purpose in life to make impact in XXX field and hence your career goals...saying that its the next best thing possible is not impressive enough for the adcoms, but having a passion/ purpose is..... Secondly, let the adcom see that you have done great work at your company and made some impact- the low success rate is only a function of the job- don't take personal responsibility for that.

You can apply to all the IIMs- A, B, C and L. You can also apply to ISB. Infact, as a serious applicant who wishes to study at a business school next year, you should definitely apply to more than one b-school, to maximize your chances of admission.

Thanks for feedback. i appreciate your comments. I will try to put things properly in Application. Thanks for correcting about negative remarks. I will refrain using these now. :-) :-)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
ITGMAT wrote:
MBADecoder wrote:

Hi ITGMAT,

Thanks for feedback. i appreciate your comments. I will try to put things properly in Application. Thanks for correcting about negative remarks. I will refrain using these now. :-) :-)

Glad to read that my advice helped. I know applicants don't write in their applications, what they share here on the forum. But sometimes, they tend to be over honest about their views. I wanted to caution you against doing that. :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Group,

I haven't written the GMAT yet however plan to write it this year probably by September / October 2018.

Before that I would like to have my profile evaluated by Experts for IIM A PGPX .

Nationality - Indian
Academics - Class X - 90.2% (CBSE) , Class XII - 85.0% (CBSE Science Stream PCM)
Bachelors - B.Tech in Mining Machinery Engineering from IIT (ISM) Dhanbad (OGPA - 7.85 on absolute scale)
Experience - 9 Years experience in Design and Engineering of Material Handling / Mining Machines (for Infrastructure projects)
Working for a major global engineering group.
Permanent International experience - None (but day to day working is mainly with global engineers / designers)

My real motivation of doing looking for an MBA is to move into a Projects/ Strategy position in an engineering/consultancy firm most probably in the energy / infrastructure sector which will diversify my role from my current one as a mid level engineering manager.

I have been getting Mock scores in the range of 650-690 (my last being 690 in the GMAT Prep free test # 1)

Please let me know your feedback on my profile and how are my chances for getting into IIM A PGPX. I will be aiming for a approx 700 GMAT score if all goes to plan.

Cheers!
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello BobbyDazzler

Evaluating your chances will be easier if you can also share qualitative details around your 9 years of work ex, namely, Career Progression, Achievements and real business impact.
Also what sort of extracurricular activities have you been involved in along with your work.
It is these things that make your complete profile, and hold an importance as much as the GMAT. In your case doubly so since your target GMAT is below the class average and you will need to build on other strengths to stand out. (You can read more here on what areas of profile are critical for an admission)
Past academic scores are good and the IIT brand will be helpful.
At the same time, your industry may help you a bit on the diversity side, but the content or quality of your work ex matters more that year, role or industry.
Missing extracurricular info further demands a higher GMAT (to make you an outstanding candidate)
Based on the limited information the only advice I can give is to bump up your GMAT to 720+. And you seem to have enough time for that. If you are scoring 690 now and plan to take in Sep/Oct you have a good 2-3 months ahead to prepare and take this score up by 30-40 points.
Should you have further questions, let me know.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

BobbyDazzler wrote:
Hi Group,

I haven't written the GMAT yet however plan to write it this year probably by September / October 2018.

Before that I would like to have my profile evaluated by Experts for IIM A PGPX .

Nationality - Indian
Academics - Class X - 90.2% (CBSE) , Class XII - 85.0% (CBSE Science Stream PCM)
Bachelors - B.Tech in Mining Machinery Engineering from IIT (ISM) Dhanbad (OGPA - 7.85 on absolute scale)
Experience - 9 Years experience in Design and Engineering of Material Handling / Mining Machines (for Infrastructure projects)
Working for a major global engineering group.
Permanent International experience - None (but day to day working is mainly with global engineers / designers)

My real motivation of doing looking for an MBA is to move into a Projects/ Strategy position in an engineering/consultancy firm most probably in the energy / infrastructure sector which will diversify my role from my current one as a mid level engineering manager.

I have been getting Mock scores in the range of 650-690 (my last being 690 in the GMAT Prep free test # 1)

Please let me know your feedback on my profile and how are my chances for getting into IIM A PGPX. I will be aiming for a approx 700 GMAT score if all goes to plan.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Hello,

Please evaluate my profile for One year MBA programs at IIM A (PGPX) /IIM B (EPGP) / IIM C (PGPEX)

Academics:
Bachelor of Engg (Electronics & Telecom) - 73.5% (Distinction)(University of Mumbai)
Master of Science (Telecom Engineering) - GPA 3.9/4.0 (University of Maryland, College Park)

During my masters, I took 4 management courses from R.H Smith school of Business at University of Maryland (studying alongside MBA grads)
That's when I got more interested towards getting a full time MBA

Also, I received an award from University of Maryland for academic excelllence (2nd Rank in MS program)
I was also a co-founder of UMD cricket club (1st of it's kind to promote the sport of Cricket and related events to all parts of campus)

GMAT - no score yet (expecting 700+)

Work Experience:
1 year intership and 5 months full-time experience at a Telecommunications Startup in United States
2 Years and 8 months (still working) full-time experience at AT&T wireless labs in US

I believe I have a good technical and hands on experience - working on some of the most challenging projects in the wireless industry
I have a good exposure of working with almost all of the major telecom companies, device vendors, equipment vendors in US.

Post MBA goal - Strategy role in Tech industry

Some other points which may add value to profile:

- Community Service - Volunteering at the ISKCON temple during events and festivals (2 years)
- worked part time at the university during Masters (Shipping and Receiving assistant)
- I have a CWNA - wireless network certification
- I have been trading stocks from past 3 years

I am aware that it requires a lot of experience to get into the executive programs but I was wondering if my profile will be considered as I already have a 2 years MS degree.

Many thanks in advance!
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello alphak3nny001

I replied to you on the ISB thread and you have a great profile. However, for IIMA you need to be 25 years+ and for IIMB/IIMC you need to have minimum 60 months of work ex before Mar 2019. This is irrespective of whether your have a post-grad degree or not.
So unless you complete 5 years by Mar 2019, you are not eligible for IIMB/C.
If you have more than 60 months by then, you are a strong candidate (if you get 700+)
Still, I'd recommend to check the specific website of each program and also speak to the program officer if you wish to be considered as an exception.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

alphak3nny001 wrote:
Hello,

Please evaluate my profile for One year MBA programs at IIM A (PGPX) /IIM B (EPGP) / IIM C (PGPEX)

Academics:
Bachelor of Engg (Electronics & Telecom) - 73.5% (Distinction)(University of Mumbai)
Master of Science (Telecom Engineering) - GPA 3.9/4.0 (University of Maryland, College Park)

During my masters, I took 4 management courses from R.H Smith school of Business at University of Maryland (studying alongside MBA grads)

Also, I received an award from University of Maryland for academic excelllence (2nd Rank in MS program)
I was also a co-founder of UMD cricket club (1st of it's kind to promote the sport of Cricket and related events to all parts of campus)

Work Experience:
1 year intership and 5 months full-time experience at a Telecommunications Startup in United States
2 Years and 8 months (still working) full-time experience at AT&T wireless labs in US

I believe I have a good technical and hands on experience - working on some of the most challenging projects in the wireless industry
I have a good exposure of working with almost all of the major telecom companies, device vendors, equipment vendors in US.

- Community Service - Volunteering at the ISKCON temple during events and festivals (2 years)
- worked part time at the university during Masters (Shipping and Receiving assistant)

I am aware that it requires a lot of experience to get into the executive programs but I was wondering if my profile will be considered as I already have a 2 years MS degree.

Many thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi all,
Request you to please evaluate my profile for admission at IIMA PGPX.
I am a chemical engineer working at an E-SBR (JV of IOCL and TSRC) plant in the operations department. Job responsibilities include managing a shift of around 30 people responsible for production. Job responsibilities require a mix of technical and managerial skills.

High school- 86.8%(CBSE)
12th- 77.8%(CBSE)
B.E chemical engineering- 8.077 CGPA (80.77%) from DSSBUICET Panjab University (central university, selection through AIEEE)
Work ex-4 years experience at a chemical plant.
Gmat score- 680 (V34,Q48)

Extracurricular
1) Level 2 Diploma holder in German language
2) District topper in X CBSE board examinations
3) Head of Marketing team for college fest Cyanide 2011 Generated an amount of Rs 46K from sponsors
namely Kings XI Punjab and Nike.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Indian
10th -70%
12th -78.4% (commerce)
Graduation -65% (bba)
Completed cfa with bba in first attempt

Extracurriculars - grade 8 guitar player from the rock school (10+ exp)
German lang skill till b1 level
District level chess and cricket in school

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size]
VP
VP
Send PM
hello enviousfox

I replied to you on the ISB thread, would like to add that for IIMA (PGPX) you need to be 25 years+ and for IIMB/C you need to have 60 months of work ex.
Not sure about your eligibility on that front, as info around work ex is missing.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

enviousfox wrote:
Indian
10th -70%
12th -78.4% (commerce)
Graduation -65% (bba)
Completed cfa with bba in first attempt

Extracurriculars - grade 8 guitar player from the rock school (10+ exp)
German lang skill till b1 level
District level chess and cricket in school

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
MBAkarma wrote:
Hello alphak3nny001

I replied to you on the ISB thread and you have a great profile. However, for IIMA you need to be 25 years+ and for IIMB/IIMC you need to have minimum 60 months of work ex before Mar 2019. This is irrespective of whether your have a post-grad degree or not.
So unless you complete 5 years by Mar 2019, you are not eligible for IIMB/C.
If you have more than 60 months by then, you are a strong candidate (if you get 700+)
Still, I'd recommend to check the specific website of each program and also speak to the program officer if you wish to be considered as an exception.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

alphak3nny001 wrote:
Hello,

Academics:

Work Experience:

Many thanks in advance!

Hi Varun,

Thank you for going through my profile. Your feedback really helps.

I have worked as an intern for a whole year at a startup while I was in the Masters program. Do you think that will be considered towards my work experience (while counting the number of months) or it will be ignored as it was before my graduation ?

Thanks,
Himanshu
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  43