Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 21:19 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Re: IIM Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
alphak3nny001 wrote:
Hello,

Please evaluate my profile for One year MBA programs at IIM A (PGPX) /IIM B (EPGP) / IIM C (PGPEX)

Academics:
Bachelor of Engg (Electronics & Telecom) - 73.5% (Distinction)(University of Mumbai)
Master of Science (Telecom Engineering) - GPA 3.9/4.0 (University of Maryland, College Park)

During my masters, I took 4 management courses from R.H Smith school of Business at University of Maryland (studying alongside MBA grads)
That's when I got more interested towards getting a full time MBA

Also, I received an award from University of Maryland for academic excelllence (2nd Rank in MS program)
I was also a co-founder of UMD cricket club (1st of it's kind to promote the sport of Cricket and related events to all parts of campus)

GMAT - no score yet (expecting 700+)

Work Experience:
1 year intership and 5 months full-time experience at a Telecommunications Startup in United States
2 Years and 8 months (still working) full-time experience at AT&T wireless labs in US

I believe I have a good technical and hands on experience - working on some of the most challenging projects in the wireless industry
I have a good exposure of working with almost all of the major telecom companies, device vendors, equipment vendors in US.

Post MBA goal - Strategy role in Tech industry

Some other points which may add value to profile:

- Community Service - Volunteering at the ISKCON temple during events and festivals (2 years)
- worked part time at the university during Masters (Shipping and Receiving assistant)
- I have a CWNA - wireless network certification
- I have been trading stocks from past 3 years

I am aware that it requires a lot of experience to get into the executive programs but I was wondering if my profile will be considered as I already have a 2 years MS degree.

Many thanks in advance!

Hi alphak3nny001

The IIM executive MBA programs require a minimum of 5 years of experience (4 for IIMA), and you are currently short of that mark. You should look to thus apply in the future. If you can get 700+ on the GMAT, you should be in with a solid chance in the future.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
sethgaurang wrote:
Hi all,
Request you to please evaluate my profile for admission at IIMA PGPX.
I am a chemical engineer working at an E-SBR (JV of IOCL and TSRC) plant in the operations department. Job responsibilities include managing a shift of around 30 people responsible for production. Job responsibilities require a mix of technical and managerial skills.

High school- 86.8%(CBSE)
12th- 77.8%(CBSE)
B.E chemical engineering- 8.077 CGPA (80.77%) from DSSBUICET Panjab University (central university, selection through AIEEE)
Work ex-4 years experience at a chemical plant.
Gmat score- 680 (V34,Q48)

Extracurricular
1) Level 2 Diploma holder in German language
2) District topper in X CBSE board examinations
3) Head of Marketing team for college fest Cyanide 2011 Generated an amount of Rs 46K from sponsors
namely Kings XI Punjab and Nike.

Hi Gaurang

If possible, try to raise the GMAT a bit further, though even at a 680 you will have a chance. The important thing here will be competing against people who have much more experience and so greater responsibility and impact. The latter two are the things for you to focus on in the second part of your application later (the PGPX application happens in two stages).
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
BobbyDazzler wrote:
Hi Group,

I haven't written the GMAT yet however plan to write it this year probably by September / October 2018.

Before that I would like to have my profile evaluated by Experts for IIM A PGPX .

Nationality - Indian
Academics - Class X - 90.2% (CBSE) , Class XII - 85.0% (CBSE Science Stream PCM)
Bachelors - B.Tech in Mining Machinery Engineering from IIT (ISM) Dhanbad (OGPA - 7.85 on absolute scale)
Experience - 9 Years experience in Design and Engineering of Material Handling / Mining Machines (for Infrastructure projects)
Working for a major global engineering group.
Permanent International experience - None (but day to day working is mainly with global engineers / designers)

My real motivation of doing looking for an MBA is to move into a Projects/ Strategy position in an engineering/consultancy firm most probably in the energy / infrastructure sector which will diversify my role from my current one as a mid level engineering manager.

I have been getting Mock scores in the range of 650-690 (my last being 690 in the GMAT Prep free test # 1)

Please let me know your feedback on my profile and how are my chances for getting into IIM A PGPX. I will be aiming for a approx 700 GMAT score if all goes to plan.

Cheers!

Hi BobbyDazzler

Try for the 700+ score as IIMA PGPX is quite competitive at this point in time. A 670ish may not be enough. Other than that, you are an excellent fit with the PGPX.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
alphak3nny001 wrote:
MBAkarma wrote:
Hello alphak3nny001

I replied to you on the ISB thread and you have a great profile. However, for IIMA you need to be 25 years+ and for IIMB/IIMC you need to have minimum 60 months of work ex before Mar 2019. This is irrespective of whether your have a post-grad degree or not.
So unless you complete 5 years by Mar 2019, you are not eligible for IIMB/C.
If you have more than 60 months by then, you are a strong candidate (if you get 700+)
Still, I'd recommend to check the specific website of each program and also speak to the program officer if you wish to be considered as an exception.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

alphak3nny001 wrote:
Hello,

Please evaluate my profile for One year MBA programs at IIM A (PGPX) /IIM B (EPGP) / IIM C (PGPEX)

Academics:
Bachelor of Engg (Electronics & Telecom) - 73.5% (Distinction)(University of Mumbai)
Master of Science (Telecom Engineering) - GPA 3.9/4.0 (University of Maryland, College Park)

During my masters, I took 4 management courses from R.H Smith school of Business at University of Maryland (studying alongside MBA grads)
That's when I got more interested towards getting a full time MBA

Also, I received an award from University of Maryland for academic excelllence (2nd Rank in MS program)
I was also a co-founder of UMD cricket club (1st of it's kind to promote the sport of Cricket and related events to all parts of campus)

GMAT - no score yet (expecting 700+)

Work Experience:
1 year intership and 5 months full-time experience at a Telecommunications Startup in United States
2 Years and 8 months (still working) full-time experience at AT&T wireless labs in US

I believe I have a good technical and hands on experience - working on some of the most challenging projects in the wireless industry
I have a good exposure of working with almost all of the major telecom companies, device vendors, equipment vendors in US.

Post MBA goal - Strategy role in Tech industry

Some other points which may add value to profile:

- Community Service - Volunteering at the ISKCON temple during events and festivals (2 years)
- worked part time at the university during Masters (Shipping and Receiving assistant)
- I have a CWNA - wireless network certification
- I have been trading stocks from past 3 years

I am aware that it requires a lot of experience to get into the executive programs but I was wondering if my profile will be considered as I already have a 2 years MS degree.

Many thanks in advance!

Hi Varun,

Thank you for going through my profile. Your feedback really helps.

I have worked as an intern for a whole year at a startup while I was in the Masters program. Do you think that will be considered towards my work experience (while counting the number of months) or it will be ignored as it was before my graduation ?

Thanks,
Himanshu

Hi Himanshu,

IIMA, IIMB and IIMC one year programs don't consider internship as a part of the work experience. Full-time work experience is mandatory.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hello all,

I'm Ashutosh from India. I'm applying for executive MBA from IIM A and IIMB.

Academics: 

- PGDM (MBA) (Marketing) from Alliance Business Academy (2005) (All India Management Association) 78%

- B.Com (2003) 62%

Professional experience: 12+ years

- 9 years experience in Analytics (Hewlett Packard, Symphony Services)

- Deferred Teach for India Fellowship

- Led operations, special projects, learning delivery and Human Resources for 2.5 years in India's first Rural Kindergarten chain, Hippocamus Learning Centres - for about 200 centres and schools and 800 teachers impacting about 13500 students.

- Co-founded a firm focusing on providing turn key analytics, consulting, and monitoring and evaluation for Social Enterprises 1.5 years ago. 

Extra Curricular:
- Led the Table Tennis district team.
- Participated in multiple national level Golf championships.
- Pro Bono consulting for NGOs.

I took my first practice GMAT using the MBA.com and scored 340. What scores should I be targeting at?

Please advice.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello isbashu

I replied to your query on the ISB thread. One thing that I'd like to add here is that IIMB does not prefer people with 12+ years of work ex. The key word is prefer, not outright rejection. But it certainly works against you. You may want to consider that. But as mentioned in the ISB thread, will depend on your overall profile and of course GMAt which should be your only priority right now.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

isbashu wrote:
Hello all,

Academics: 

- PGDM (MBA) (Marketing) from Alliance Business Academy (2005) (All India Management Association) 78%

- B.Com (2003) 62%

- Led operations, special projects, learning delivery and Human Resources for 2.5 years in India's first Rural Kindergarten chain, Hippocamus Learning Centres - for about 200 centres and schools and 800 teachers impacting about 13500 students.

- Co-founded a firm focusing on providing turn key analytics, consulting, and monitoring and evaluation for Social Enterprises 1.5 years ago. 

Extra Curricular:

I took my first practice GMAT using the MBA.com and scored 340. What scores should I be targeting at?

Please advice.

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
vikmuscat17 wrote:
Hi All,

Please evaluate my profile and advise:

B.tech: 73% NIT Jalandhar
GMAT :630

15 years of work ex in sales and marketing - 4 years in India & 11 years in Gulf. Currently working as Senior Manager for an auto retail giant in Muscat (11years).

Reason for PGPX: Though i have considerable work ex in my field but lack of management education becomes a crucial factor when I apply for senior positions. Would like to do PGPX to provide me the required education and platform for career growth.

Do I stand any chance at IIM A, C, I, L?
What should be the minimum GMAT score to be considered for IIM A & C?

HI VikMuscat,

Get the GMAT score up to a 700+. Its tough competition at these b-schools and a good GMAT score definitely helps in how your profile is viewed by the admissions teams.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
isbashu wrote:
Hello all,

Academics: 

- B.Com (2003) 62%

Extra Curricular:

Please advice.

Hi Ashutosh,

I like the combination of social impact and analytics focused work experience. It will be valued by b-schools. Are you limited to b-schools in India alone or are open to looking at programs abroad?
There are fellowship programs that run out of Stanford, MIT Sloan, London Business School and USC Marshall that are targeted towards senior managers like you. You could check these out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi

I belong to the Indian IT male category. I took my GMAT in may 2016 and scored 690(V40,Q44). This was my 3rd and best attempt at GMAT.

My profile is as follows:
1) Total work experience of 5 years with a product based Japanese company in Bangalore as Senior Software Engineer. Got 3 promotions in 5 years.
2) Got 9 months of international experience as I worked onsite in Japan. I worked in strategy based role in Japan and my work was to negotiate with Japanese clients on release dates of my product and features to be accomodated. I also used to work on risk management . I also had to negotiate with Australian clients for coordination. Also, I got my first official managerial experience during my stay in Japan as I had to manage my offshore team of 13 members and check the progress of work. I also had to coordinate between onsite and offshore members.
3) Studied in top 25 engineering colleges in India and got GPA 7.5
4) Got 86% in 10th standard and 84% in 12th standard

Extra curriculars:
1) Played cricket tournaments for company.
2) I made a lot of contributions in Japan by promoting game of cricket. I used to represent Shizouka prefecture(Tokai area) in cricket and played in Japan Cup(national level cricket tournament in Japan) too. I used to play in a diverse team with players from Australia, Japan, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Sri Lanka along with Indians. We also encouraged Japanese people to get involved in cricket. At start, there was only one Japanese who used to play for us. By the end of my term in Japan, we had almost four Japanese people playing for us.
3) I, along with my teammates, also made contributions to Japanese society by setting up our cricket club in Japan. We also raised funds of approximately 1,000,000 yen with the help of Japanese government(local City Halls) to purchase cricket equipment for our team and setup cricket grounds. Also, with the help of Japanese government, we were able to setup two cricket grounds in Japan where our club can practice cricket and the game can be promoted among locals too. We were handed over the possession of one of the grounds last year and the work of the second ground is still in progress.
4) Learnt N5 level Japanese. I am able to read, write and understand basic Japanese.
5) Worked for approx 2 years for different NGO's.
6) Represent my team in office while discussing issues faced by team infront of higher management.

Can you please let me know my chances in IIMA,IIMB, IIMC, IIML and IIMI?
Goals: I want to be a product manager after I complete my MBA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: IIMA PGPX"20
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Kindly evaluate my Profile.

I have given my GMAT yesterday. I have got a score of 680(Q49,V34,IR 8).I might go for another try depending on the suggestion i get.
I am mainly interested in 1 yr to 15 months MBA courses.

Academics:
1 B.Tech CSE Hons from GGSIPU with 76%
2. Class XII: 65 %(PCME)
3 CLass X: 70 %
I have a gap of 2 years between my class XII and B.Tech

Targeting Class of 2019:
College Preferences:
India
ISB,IIM-A,B,C,L,I , XLRI,MDI(not necessarily in this order)
Canada:
Queens, Schulich, Rottman
USA & Europe: Pls. suggest as I think Ivy league, and top 20 are not possible with GMAT 680.
Work Experience:
I have 14+ years of experience in Telecom and Application Development Domain. I have worked on multiple projects and have been on numerous short term onsite assignments to Samsung(Poland,Seol ),Intel(Germany,Suwon),InterDigital ( Canada) offices for work related assignments.
My Last Designation: Technical Project Manager
Achievements:
1) Patent filled and accepted in US on Mobile Data
2) Multiple team awards for commitment towards work.
3)QA process compliance award

Extra Curricular Activities:
1. My hobbies are Playing cricket, chess and debating on Indian politics.
2. I teach couple of students from poor families at my home on weekends...i am not sure if that can help my profile in any way!!!
I do not have any significant awards/achievements that can be shown as a proof...

Goals: I want to join back in mid-level management profile in preferably top-notch MNCs like Google, Microsoft, Qualcomm, Oracle...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
powarparamveer wrote:
Hi

I belong to the Indian IT male category. I took my GMAT in may 2016 and scored 690(V40,Q44). This was my 3rd and best attempt at GMAT.

My profile is as follows:
1) Total work experience of 5 years with a product based Japanese company in Bangalore as Senior Software Engineer. Got 3 promotions in 5 years.
2) Got 9 months of international experience as I worked onsite in Japan. I worked in strategy based role in Japan and my work was to negotiate with Japanese clients on release dates of my product and features to be accomodated. I also used to work on risk management . I also had to negotiate with Australian clients for coordination. Also, I got my first official managerial experience during my stay in Japan as I had to manage my offshore team of 13 members and check the progress of work. I also had to coordinate between onsite and offshore members.
3) Studied in top 25 engineering colleges in India and got GPA 7.5
4) Got 86% in 10th standard and 84% in 12th standard

Extra curriculars:
1) Played cricket tournaments for company.
2) I made a lot of contributions in Japan by promoting game of cricket. I used to represent Shizouka prefecture(Tokai area) in cricket and played in Japan Cup(national level cricket tournament in Japan) too. I used to play in a diverse team with players from Australia, Japan, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Sri Lanka along with Indians. We also encouraged Japanese people to get involved in cricket. At start, there was only one Japanese who used to play for us. By the end of my term in Japan, we had almost four Japanese people playing for us.
3) I, along with my teammates, also made contributions to Japanese society by setting up our cricket club in Japan. We also raised funds of approximately 1,000,000 yen with the help of Japanese government(local City Halls) to purchase cricket equipment for our team and setup cricket grounds. Also, with the help of Japanese government, we were able to setup two cricket grounds in Japan where our club can practice cricket and the game can be promoted among locals too. We were handed over the possession of one of the grounds last year and the work of the second ground is still in progress.
4) Learnt N5 level Japanese. I am able to read, write and understand basic Japanese.
5) Worked for approx 2 years for different NGO's.
6) Represent my team in office while discussing issues faced by team infront of higher management.

Can you please let me know my chances in IIMA,IIMB, IIMC, IIML and IIMI?
Goals: I want to be a product manager after I complete my MBA.

Hi,

Your international work experience in Japan, and your role does make your profile interesting. Your extra curricular initiatives especially your contribution of forming a cricket club highlights your leadership and organizational capabilities.
However, your GMAT score is bit on lower side for IIM A, IIM B and IIM C especially Q44. What you need to do is to write impactful essays highlighting your achievements and your leadership potential.
For IIM L and IIM I your score is pretty decent.
You can connect with us at beyondthegmat@gmail.com for a detailed profile evaluation and also to get insights at other potential B-schools for your profile.

Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I am working with SBI for last 7.5 years as Credit Analyst for MSME Loans. I am handling a portfolio of more than 100 crores. I have a total work ex of 12+ years ( Also worked in Genpact for 2.5 years including a month stint in Chicago and HDFC Ins)
My GMAT Score is 640 last year. Age is 35 years.I want to go for IIMA PGPX course. What are my chances?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello shishirisb

What are your career goals my friend?
Chances are defined my a multitude of factors- Achievements at work, Extracurricular, Career progress, career goals, academic potential. You can read here and hereto understand this in further detail.
Though your role/industry will be an advantage for you, most of the other info is missing. In absence of these details I'll say bump up the GMAT score by 40 points to have a good chance.
However, final success will depend on the strength of your profile as mentioned above.
For a detailed discussion, feel free to reach out.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

shishirisb wrote:
I am working with SBI for last 7.5 years as Credit Analyst for MSME Loans. I am handling a portfolio of more than 100 crores. I have a total work ex of 12+ years ( Also worked in Genpact for 2.5 years including a month stint in Chicago and HDFC Ins)
My GMAT Score is 640 last year. Age is 35 years.I want to go for IIMA PGPX course. What are my chances?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you, Varun for the reply and insights.

Few details are as below:

1. In my earlier job (Genpact) I got lots of awards and certs for being the best employee of the year and also for customer centricity. Demonstrated leadership qualities all in all, however currently as I am working in PSU there is no judgment matrix for my achievements. Still, I was the best trainee in my SBI probation phase and my career progress is decent. The best of the people are handpicked by management to work in MSME Appraisals in SBI and I was one of them.
2. I have always been an active participant in extracurricular activities since my school days till now. I love to organize events and have lots of certs for the school/ college level. Also, I have a recommendation letter from my college principal mentioning my all-around achievements in college.
3. I haven't studied from any big names as I come from a very average family and my schooling is from State Board. No extraordinary marks, however, I am a first class pass student throughout.
4. Also did my MCom from Agra University in 2005 with 62.1% marks

My career goal is to be in a leadership role in the finance/banking sector.

Please let me know, what do you think now. My score is 640 in Gmat and I know it is not sure enough to get me a call from IIMA (IIMA gives a call first for PGPX and make you write essays afterward). I am not targeting ISB but IIMA. So if I reappear in GMAT and score 680+ so do I stand a chance?
VP
VP
Send PM
If you are applying just to IIMA then I would definitely recommend a retake as they will focus on your 'stats' more than ISB at least for the initial shortlist.
So do you have a better chance with a 640 or a 680+? The answer is quite obvious here.
My recommendation of a 680+ is considering your overall profile as well as your past score.
Needless to say higher the better. It is virtually impossible to predict one single figure, even in the 'straightforward' IIMA application there are multiple factors at play.
While, I completely respect your decision to not apply to ISB (I'm sure you have arrived at this decision after a lot of research and it truly may not be the best school for you considering your years of experience), I'd like to add that you should apply to multiple schools if you are serious about an MBA. Applying to just one school is a gamble. Do your research and arrive at a bigger list.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

shishirisb wrote:

1. In my earlier job (Genpact) I got lots of awards and certs for being the best employee of the year and also for customer centricity. Demonstrated leadership qualities all in all, however currently as I am working in PSU there is no judgment matrix for my achievements. Still, I was the best trainee in my SBI probation phase and my career progress is decent. The best of the people are handpicked by management to work in MSME Appraisals in SBI and I was one of them.
2. I have always been an active participant in extracurricular activities since my school days till now. I love to organize events and have lots of certs for the school/ college level. Also, I have a recommendation letter from my college principal mentioning my all-around achievements in college.
3. I haven't studied from any big names as I come from a very average family and my schooling is from State Board. No extraordinary marks, however, I am a first class pass student throughout.

Please let me know, what do you think now. My score is 640 in Gmat and I know it is not sure enough to get me a call from IIMA (IIMA gives a call first for PGPX and make you write essays afterward). I am not targeting ISB but IIMA. So if I reappear in GMAT and score 680+ so do I stand a chance?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Shishir,

Your experience definitely is interesting and since you are looking at a career in the finance sector why not consider IIM C PGPEX in addition to IIM A. It is always better to keep multiple options open. However, you definitely need to increase your GMAT score by 40 to 50 points to have a decent shot at either IIM A and IIM C since both this colleges usually have a class average of 700+ and hardly ever go for candidates having a score below 680.

We would highly recommend you to retake your GMAT for improving your chances.

Best of luck!

shishirisb wrote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 2.79
Send PM
Background and nationality : Indian, 28 , Male

Undergrad Information : Civil Engineering, Manipal University ( GPA 6.6/10)

GMAT: 740 ( Q50/V40/IR 6/AWA 5)

Work experience and leadership:

Total Experience of 5 years in e-commerce startups in various roles: sales, operations, data analysis & product management. Most of the experience is in Product Management. Have led a team of engineers and delivered various software products & features. Have shown a good upward career progression in work.

Post MBA goals: Lead business verticals in a tech company such as Amazon, Google, etc.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  43