GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 05:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 1348
Location: Malaysia
GMAT ToolKit User
In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 20:29
7
107
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:27) correct 29% (01:45) wrong based on 3465 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 684
Page:

In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan mailed 120 of his theorems to three different British mathematicians; only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but thanks to Hardy's recognition, Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London.

(A) only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but
(B) they were brilliant, G. H. Hardy alone recognized, but
(C) these theorems were brilliant, but only one, G. H. Hardy recognized;
(D) but, only one G. H. Hardy, recognizing their brilliance,
(E) only one G. H. Hardy recognized, but these theorems were brilliant

Srinivasa Ramanujan

(A) CORRECT

(B) Pronoun (they)

(C) Sentence Structure / Meaning

(D) Sentence Structure

(E) Sentence Structure / Meaning


First glance

The underline begins just after a semi-colon, so one possible path is to check that the second portion is a complete sentence.

Issues

1) Pronoun: they

Answer (B) begins with the pronoun they.

It’s not clear who was brilliant: the British mathematicians or Ramanujan’s theorems? Either one is logically possible. Eliminate choice (B) for pronoun ambiguity.

2) Sentence Structure / Meaning

The remaining choices don’t use the pronoun, so check the structure to make sure you have complete sentences after the semi-colon.

Answer (C) uses a second semi-colon. While it is possible on rare occasions to use more than one semi-colon in a single sentence (e.g., to delineate a list of clauses), it is not appropriate in this case. Further, the structure of the middle “sentence” is faulty, leading to an unclear meaning. Did G.H. Hardy recognize only one theorem? Or was G.H. Hardy the only mathematician to recognize that the theorems were brilliant?

Answer (D) is a sentence fragment. Either only one or G.H. Hardy is a subject, but no main verb exists to go with the subject.

Answer (E) also has a faulty sentence structure leading to ambiguous meaning. First, G.H. Hardy did not merely “recognize” a theorem; rather, he recognized that the theorems were brilliant. In addition, this choice says that the theorems were brilliant thanks to Hardy’s recognition. The theorems are objectively brilliant (or not) on their own; they are not brilliant because Hardy recognized them as such.

Eliminate choices (C), (D), and (E) for faulty sentence structure and unclear or illogical meaning.

The Correct Answer

Correct answer (A) clearly conveys that only one of the three mathematicians recognized the brilliance of Ramanujan’s theorems.

_________________
"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2861
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 07:10
9
2
sidagar wrote:
could not understand how to approach this question and how to eliminate.In option A how " but" can be connected with the rest of the sentence- if it is a independent clause where is the subject


The subject of the clause after "but" is "Ramanujan" and the verb of this clause is "was" (the second clause is "Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London").

The phrase "thanks to Hardy's recognition" is a adverbial modifier referring to the clause "Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London" (precisely the verb "was").
Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Status: You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come
Joined: 09 Nov 2012
Posts: 280
Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 21:50
16
1
6
hazelnut wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 684
Page:

In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan mailed 120 of his theorems to three different British mathematicians; only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but thanks to Hardy's recognition, Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London.

(A) only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but
(B) they were brilliant, G. H. Hardy alone recognized, but
(C) these theorems were brilliant, but only one, G. H. Hardy recognized;
(D) but, only one G. H. Hardy, recognizing their brilliance,
(E) only one G. H. Hardy recognized, but these theorems were brilliant


(A) Correctonly one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but
only one is correctly modifying G.H Hardy. What are recognized is correctly expressed
(B) Incorrect they were brilliant, G. H. Hardy alone recognized, but
'They' is ambigious G.H hardy recognized what?
(C) Incorrect these theorems were brilliant, but only one, G. H. Hardy recognized;
G.H Hardy recognized what? only one not correctly modifying G.H Hardy.
(D) Incorrect but, only one G. H. Hardy, recognizing their brilliance,
No verb for the subjec G.H Hardy
(E) Incorrect only one G. H. Hardy recognized, but these theorems were brilliant
G.H Hardy himself was recognized?
_________________
You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come.

Give Kudos if you like my post
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Mar 2016
Posts: 110
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 20:43
1
'They' in B is ambiguous
'but only one' in C refers to theorems instead of mathematicians
D is also out because of but and recognizing
E is also
Hence A should be the correct answer


Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Posts: 23
Re: In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 21:09
1
A should be the answer.

In B 'they' is ambiguous

In C due to the wrong structure, the interpretation becomes open ended

In D, the structure is incorrect (but, one GH Hardy) and continuous tense is used which doesn't align with the rest of the sentence

E is structurally wrong in terms just as in D, also the cause and effect structure of the sentence is wrong...

A is the best option

Sent from my GT-I9060I using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
IIMA, IIMC School Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 1366
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests
Re: In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Aug 2017, 23:41
Hi GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo
in option C. Is below version correct:
In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan
mailed 120 of his theorems to three different British mathematicians; these theorems were brilliant,
but only one, G. H. Hardy recognized
them ;
thanks to Hardy's recognition, Ramanujan was
eventually elected to the Royal Society of London.

Can you please elaborate on contrast suggested in OA?

WR,
Arpit
_________________
It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Feeling stressed, you are not alone!!

Originally posted by adkikani on 28 Jun 2017, 18:12.
Last edited by adkikani on 25 Aug 2017, 23:41, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Mar 2017
Posts: 71
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34
Re: In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 07:21
1
Shouldn't the option A has AND instead of BUT? I dont see a contrast here.
It simply says that hardy recognized the brilliant work, and because of hardy's recognition Ramanujan became the fellow at royal society. NO?

Because of this BUT in option A, i eliminated A and marked C. And in my opinion C did some justice to the answer( except for this "only one, G. H. Hardy recognized" passive construction). Please help me out in eliminating C..

Without the outside knowledge ( of how many theorems did hardy recognized) i can say that the main sentence has 3 section-

-----In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan mailed 120 of his theorems to three different British mathematicians;

-----these theorems were brilliant, but only one, G. H. Hardy recognized; ( Correctly uses demonstrative pronoun, removes the ambiguity of they ( as in option B)- And if we FLIP! the sentence properly- THESE THEOREMS WERE BRILLIANT, BUT G.H.HARDY RECOGNIZED ONLY ONE;

-----thanks to Hardy's recognition, Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London.

Is it only because of passive?? As I am trying to convince myself that option C is wrong I found WERE in C (because these theorems ARE still brilliant). IS IT THE REASON??
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 1472
Location: India
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 05:20
1
1
Hi! "only one, G. H. Hardy recognized" is not passive voice.

The intent is to depict that despite the fact that Ramanujan sent his theorems to three mathematicians, only one of these mathematicians recognized their brilliance.

However (this is where the contrast comes in), just one recognition was sufficient, since this recognition was sufficient for Ramanujan to be elected to the Royal Society of London.
_________________
Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 04 Oct 2015
Posts: 234
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Reviews Badge
Re: In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 01:56
2
In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan mailed 120 of his theorems to three different British mathematicians; only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but thanks to Hardy's recognition, Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London.

(A) only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but
(B) they were brilliant, G. H. Hardy alone recognized, but
(C) these theorems were brilliant, but only one, G. H. Hardy recognized;
--> G. H. Hardy recognized WHAT???
(D) but, only one G. H. Hardy, recognizing their brilliance,
--> awkward.
(E) only one G. H. Hardy recognized, but these theorems were brilliant
--> G. H. Hardy recognized WHAT???
_________________
Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 27
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V28
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge
Re: In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 00:34
could not understand how to approach this question and how to eliminate.In option A how " but" can be connected with the rest of the sentence- if it is a independent clause where is the subject
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: enjoying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 5098
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 21:57
8
Top Contributor
1
In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan mailed 120 of his theorems to three different British mathematicians; only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but thanks to Hardy's recognition, Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London.

One has to get the full import of this tricky topic while solving.

There are three independent clauses involved in this list.

1) Srinivasa Ramanujan mailed 120 of his theorems to three different British mathematicians.
2) only one, (among the three, namely) G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems;
3) but, Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London.

It must be noted that the last of the three items has to be duly separated by a comma and fanboys 'but'.

(A) only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but ----- the correct choice

(B) they were brilliant, G. H. Hardy alone recognized, but --- The flipped version of this is -- G. H. Hardy alone recognized they were brilliant, but --- However, The problem is that 'they' can ambiguously mean either the mathematicians or the theorems.


(C) these theorems were brilliant, but only one, G. H. Hardy recognized; -- Yet again the flipped clause is ---- but only one, G. H. Hardy recognized these theorems were brilliant; ---Note that the fanboys ' but' is missing.

(D) but, only one G. H. Hardy, recognizing their brilliance, --
1. may wrongly imply that there were several Hardys, but only one among them recognized---
2. The middle arm is no clause and thus breaks the list parallelism.
3. The 'but' should actually appear before the last item, but is missing.

(E) only one G. H. Hardy recognized, but these theorems were brilliant --
1. same problem as in E.
2.implies that the theorems were brilliant thanks to Hardy's recognition.

A, on the contrary, keeps parallelism and meaning intact and logical.
_________________
Are you stuck around 630? If you can't make out how to pole-vault over the 630-barrier, you can do so with my one-to-one lessons. (+919884544509)
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 569
Re: In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 15:02
8
Hello Everyone!

Let's take a look at this question, one problem at a time, and narrow it down to the correct answer! To get started, here is the original question:

In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan mailed 120 of his theorems to three different British mathematicians; only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but thanks to Hardy's recognition, Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London.

(A) only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but
(B) they were brilliant, G. H. Hardy alone recognized, but
(C) these theorems were brilliant, but only one, G. H. Hardy recognized;
(D) but, only one G. H. Hardy, recognizing their brilliance,
(E) only one G. H. Hardy recognized, but these theorems were brilliant

After a quick glance over the options, it's clear that each one is written very differently from the next, so this could be a trick one to answer. The major difference I noticed right away was the word "brilliant/brilliance." What is brilliant in this sentence? The theorems that Ramanujan wrote. So let's check to make sure each sentence is using the adjective "brilliant/brilliance" to refer to the theorems:

(A) only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but --> OK

(B) they were brilliant, G. H. Hardy alone recognized, but --> WRONG
(By putting "they" directly after the word "mathematicians," it changes the meaning! This is saying that Hardy thinks the mathematicians are brilliant, not the theorems! So this is wrong.)

(C) these theorems were brilliant, but only one, G. H. Hardy recognized; --> OK

(D) but, only one G. H. Hardy, recognizing their brilliance, --> WRONG
(It's not clear if the pronoun "their" is referring to the theorems or mathematicians. In fact, this option doesn't even mention the theorems, which is a problem!)

(E) only one G. H. Hardy recognized, but these theorems were brilliant --> OK

We can eliminate options B and D because they use misplaced or vague pronouns. Now that we've narrowed it down to 3 options, let's look at each one more closely to identify other problems:

(A) only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but

This option is CORRECT! It's clear that G.H. Hardy is the only one of the 3 mathematicians that thought Ramanujan's work was brilliant, and it's also clear that the word "brilliance" is referring to the theorems.

(C) these theorems were brilliant, but only one, G. H. Hardy recognized;

This option is INCORRECT for a couple reasons. First, it changes the original meaning when it "but only one, G.H. Hardy recognized." This option is saying that Hardy only thought one of the theorems was brilliant, instead of the intended meaning of saying that only one of the mathematicians thought all of Ramanujan's work was good. Second, the semicolon on the end isn't necessary. We already have a semicolon before the word "these," so the second one is just unneeded.

(E) only one G. H. Hardy recognized, but these theorems were brilliant

This option is INCORRECT because the phrase "only one G.H. Hardy recognized" is vague. It's not clear if Hardy only recognized one of the mathematicians (which doesn't make logical sense), or if he only recognized one of the theorems, which also doesn't make sense. He is the only mathematician that recognized ALL of Ramanujan's work as brilliant.

There you have it - option A is the correct answer!


Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.
_________________
"Students study. GMAT assassins train."
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 28 Jun 2018
Posts: 130
Location: Bouvet Island
GMAT 1: 490 Q39 V18
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 09:07
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Let's take a look at this question, one problem at a time, and narrow it down to the correct answer! To get started, here is the original question:

In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan mailed 120 of his theorems to three different British mathematicians; only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but thanks to Hardy's recognition, Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London.

(A) only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but
(B) they were brilliant, G. H. Hardy alone recognized, but
(C) these theorems were brilliant, but only one, G. H. Hardy recognized;
(D) but, only one G. H. Hardy, recognizing their brilliance,
(E) only one G. H. Hardy recognized, but these theorems were brilliant

After a quick glance over the options, it's clear that each one is written very differently from the next, so this could be a trick one to answer. The major difference I noticed right away was the word "brilliant/brilliance." What is brilliant in this sentence? The theorems that Ramanujan wrote. So let's check to make sure each sentence is using the adjective "brilliant/brilliance" to refer to the theorems:

(A) only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but --> OK

(B) they were brilliant, G. H. Hardy alone recognized, but --> WRONG
(By putting "they" directly after the word "mathematicians," it changes the meaning! This is saying that Hardy thinks the mathematicians are brilliant, not the theorems! So this is wrong.)

(C) these theorems were brilliant, but only one, G. H. Hardy recognized; --> OK

(D) but, only one G. H. Hardy, recognizing their brilliance, --> WRONG
(It's not clear if the pronoun "their" is referring to the theorems or mathematicians. In fact, this option doesn't even mention the theorems, which is a problem!)

(E) only one G. H. Hardy recognized, but these theorems were brilliant --> OK

We can eliminate options B and D because they use misplaced or vague pronouns. Now that we've narrowed it down to 3 options, let's look at each one more closely to identify other problems:

(A) only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but

This option is CORRECT! It's clear that G.H. Hardy is the only one of the 3 mathematicians that thought Ramanujan's work was brilliant, and it's also clear that the word "brilliance" is referring to the theorems.

(C) these theorems were brilliant, but only one, G. H. Hardy recognized;

This option is INCORRECT for a couple reasons. First, it changes the original meaning when it "but only one, G.H. Hardy recognized." This option is saying that Hardy only thought one of the theorems was brilliant, instead of the intended meaning of saying that only one of the mathematicians thought all of Ramanujan's work was good. Second, the semicolon on the end isn't necessary. We already have a semicolon before the word "these," so the second one is just unneeded.

(E) only one G. H. Hardy recognized, but these theorems were brilliant

This option is INCORRECT because the phrase "only one G.H. Hardy recognized" is vague. It's not clear if Hardy only recognized one of the mathematicians (which doesn't make logical sense), or if he only recognized one of the theorems, which also doesn't make sense. He is the only mathematician that recognized ALL of Ramanujan's work as brilliant.

There you have it - option A is the correct answer!


Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.



Regarding your explanation to Option C.
Second, the semicolon on the end isn't necessary. We already have a semicolon before the word "these," so the second one is just unneeded.

I understand that the option is wrong because of "but only one" wrongly referring to the theorems.
But regarding the semicolon part -
Let us forget that the other error regarding "but only one" exists. Then I think both the semicolons are absolutely needed since we can have three independent clauses.
EMPOWERgmatVerbal Please correct me if i am wrong.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 06 Sep 2018
Posts: 173
Location: Pakistan
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 2.87
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 02:52
In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan mailed 120 of his theorems to three different British mathematicians; only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but thanks to Hardy's recognition, Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London.

(A) only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but (Correct)
(B) they were brilliant, G. H. Hardy alone recognized, but ('They' what?, recognized what?)
(C) these theorems were brilliant, but only one, G. H. Hardy recognized; (ambiguous)
(D) but, only one G. H. Hardy, recognizing their brilliance, (its like there are many G.H. Hardys...doesn't make sense.)
(E) only one G. H. Hardy recognized, but these theorems were brilliant (same like D)
_________________
Hitting Kudos is the best way of appreciation. :)

Eric Thomas, "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Posts: 227
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE: Marketing (Education)
Reviews Badge
Re: In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 15:29
hazelnut wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 684
Page:

In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan mailed 120 of his theorems to three different British mathematicians; only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but thanks to Hardy's recognition, Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London.

(A) only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but
(B) they were brilliant, G. H. Hardy alone recognized, but
(C) these theorems were brilliant, but only one, G. H. Hardy recognized;
(D) but, only one G. H. Hardy, recognizing their brilliance,
(E) only one G. H. Hardy recognized, but these theorems were brilliant



My analysis :

(A) only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but
- Correct.

(B) they were brilliant, G. H. Hardy alone recognized, but
- "They" is ambiguous.

(C) these theorems were brilliant, but only one, G. H. Hardy recognized;
- "But only one": seems to explain "these theorems".

(D) but, only one G. H. Hardy, recognizing their brilliance,
- "Only one G. H. Hardy": seems like we have many G. H. Hardy.
- Where is the verb?


(E) only one G. H. Hardy recognized, but these theorems were brilliant
- Same issue with E: we have many G. H. Hardy.
_________________
There's an app for that - Steve Jobs.
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 09 Mar 2018
Posts: 994
Location: India
Re: In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2019, 11:53
hazelnut wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 684
Page:

In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan mailed 120 of his theorems to three different British mathematicians; only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but thanks to Hardy's recognition, Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London.

(A) only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but
(B) they were brilliant, G. H. Hardy alone recognized, but
(C) these theorems were brilliant, but only one, G. H. Hardy recognized;
(D) but, only one G. H. Hardy, recognizing their brilliance,
(E) only one G. H. Hardy recognized, but these theorems were brilliant


Intent: Many theorems were sent across for review to different mathematicians, out of which only one responded, that recognition resulted in the election of Ramanujan to the Royal Society of London
(A) only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but
Matches the intent
only one, only refers to the next word "one" mathematician

(B) they were brilliant, G. H. Hardy alone recognized, but
They mathematicians or the theorems -> out

(C) these theorems were brilliant, but only one, G. H. Hardy recognized;
Breaks the flow of the sentence.
The intent is changed in this.

Rhetorical construction
(D) but, only one G. H. Hardy, recognizing their brilliance,
(E) only one G. H. Hardy recognized, but these theorems were brilliant
_________________
If you notice any discrepancy in my reasoning, please let me know. Lets improve together.

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Status: eternal student
Joined: 06 Mar 2018
Posts: 292
Location: Kazakhstan
GPA: 3.87
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2019, 23:58
hazelnut wrote:
In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan mailed 120 of his theorems to three different British mathematicians; only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but thanks to Hardy's recognition, Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London.


Thank you for wonderful question

Let's abstract from grammar and GMAT and find out story behind...

Sometimes when you've been studying hours your mind refuses to work, it's better to relax have some cup to tea or coffee and watch some movie ;)

This question reminds me the amazing movie based on real story :inlove:

The Man Who Knew Infinity

It is worth to see ;)

---
For all GMAT hunters wish 700+ score!!! You can do it!
_________________
My SC approach flowchart

(no one is ideal, please correct if you see any mistakes or gaps in my explanation, it will be helpful for both of us, thank you)

___________________
"Nothing in this life is to be feared, it is only to be understood"
~ Marie Curie
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 22 Jun 2017
Posts: 168
Location: Argentina
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Wharton
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 12:27
Is BUT used as "and" in the correct answer? Is that possible?
_________________
The HARDER you work, the LUCKIER you get.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 28 Jun 2018
Posts: 130
Location: Bouvet Island
GMAT 1: 490 Q39 V18
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Re: In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 18:29
3
patto wrote:
Is BUT used as "and" in the correct answer? Is that possible?


Hey patto

"but" is not used as "and" here.

You will be able to see this if you try to break the sentence and understand the meaning.

Just one out of three people recognized the brilliance of the theorems. The author wished all of them recognized the brilliance of the theorems. BUT just the one recognition was fine. Because Ramanujan was finally a part of the royal society because of that one recognition.

Simple example - Sam could only answer 1 out of 2 questions, but it was sufficient to clear the exam.
You see the meaning?

Hope this helps! :)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 22 Jun 2017
Posts: 168
Location: Argentina
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Wharton
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 18:49
blitzkriegxX wrote:
patto wrote:
Is BUT used as "and" in the correct answer? Is that possible?


Hey patto

"but" is not used as "and" here.

You will be able to see this if you try to break the sentence and understand the meaning.

Just one out of three people recognized the brilliance of the theorems. The author wished all of them recognized the brilliance of the theorems. BUT just the one recognition was fine. Because Ramanujan was finally a part of the royal society because of that one recognition.

Simple example - Sam could only answer 1 out of 2 questions, but it was sufficient to clear the exam.
You see the meaning?

Hope this helps! :)

Posted from my mobile device


Yes!! very clear, as water! Thanks!!
_________________
The HARDER you work, the LUCKIER you get.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2019, 18:49

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne