GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Aug 2018, 00:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the Battle of Roncevaux Pass in 778, the rearguard of the Frankish

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: In the Battle of Roncevaux Pass in 778, the rearguard of the Frankish  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 09:25
Cowji wrote:
So we can all agree that D is the correct choice?
Mike can you clear my doubt regarding option D. I'm just worried about "them" and it not having an antecedent.

Dear Cowji,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, with all due respect, you have not read this discussion carefully. The OA is (C). Choice (D) is a wrong answer that is particularly tempting to non-native speakers, because it is wrong but, for the most part, grammatically correct. You are correct that there's one pronoun mistake in the use of "them," but even without that small grammar mistake, choice (D) would be disastrously wrong.

I would urge to read all my entries on this thread. If you still have questions after that, please let me know.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: In the Battle of Roncevaux Pass in 778, the rearguard of the Frankish  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 14:00
In the Battle of Roncevaux Pass in 778, the rearguard of the Frankish army, under the command of Roland, was obliterated due to an ambush by the Basque army, an event made famous in La Chanson de Roland.

(A) In the Battle of Roncevaux Pass in 778, the rearguard of the Frankish army, under the command of Roland, was obliterated due to an ambush by the Basque army, an event made famous in La Chanson de Roland -Wrong usage of due to

(B) In the Battle of Roncevaux Pass in 778, the Basque army ambushed the Frankish army, the rearguard of the Frankish army, under the command of Roland, was obliterated, and the event was made famous in La Chanson de Roland -Very awkward construction

(C) La Chanson de Roland made famous the obliteration, due to an ambush by the Basque army, of the rearguard of the Frankish army, under the command of Roland, at the Battle of Roncevaux Pass in 778 -Correct

(D) In La Chanson de Roland, the Basque army ambushed the rearguard of the Frankish army, under the command of Roland, and obliterated them, and this event was famous at the Battle of Roncevaux Pass in 778 -The army ambushed in the war and not in the poem

(E) In the Battle of Roncevaux Pass in 778, the rearguard of the Frankish army, under the command of Roland, ambushed and obliterated by the Basque army, an event made famous in La Chanson de Roland -Not a sentence. "Verb" is missing.

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Real Estate, Operations

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 05:58
mikemcgarry wrote:
In the Battle of Roncevaux Pass in 778, the rearguard of the Frankish army, under the command of Roland, was obliterated due to an ambush by the Basque army, an event made famous in La Chanson de Roland.

(A) In the Battle of Roncevaux Pass in 778, the rearguard of the Frankish army, under the command of Roland, was obliterated due to an ambush by the Basque army, an event made famous in La Chanson de Roland

(B) In the Battle of Roncevaux Pass in 778, the Basque army ambushed the Frankish army, the rearguard of the Frankish army, under the command of Roland, was obliterated, and the event was made famous in La Chanson de Roland

(C) La Chanson de Roland made famous the obliteration, due to an ambush by the Basque army, of the rearguard of the Frankish army, under the command of Roland, at the Battle of Roncevaux Pass in 778

(D) In La Chanson de Roland, the Basque army ambushed the rearguard of the Frankish army, under the command of Roland, and obliterated them, and this event was famous at the Battle of Roncevaux Pass in 778

(E) In the Battle of Roncevaux Pass in 778, the rearguard of the Frankish army, under the command of Roland, ambushed and obliterated by the Basque army, an event made famous in La Chanson de Roland

This question discusses the legendary Battle of Roncevaux Pass, one of the only defeats of Charlemagne's long career, and it mentions that gorgeously beautiful medieval French poem, La Chanson de Roland.

This question, among other things, explores the "due to" structure. When is this structure correct or incorrect? You can see a full discussion of this point, as well as the OE for this difficult question, at this blog:
GMAT Sentence Correction: the “Due To” Mistake

Hi Mike, I have a question regarding option D:

In La Chanson de Roland, the Basque army ambushed the rearguard of the Frankish army, under the command of Roland, and obliterated them, and this event was famous at the Battle of Roncevaux Pass in 778

Here, is the phrase "under the command of Roland" correctly modifying rearguard of the Frankish army or is it modifying Basque army?
Thanks for your help.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 11:38
Ace800 wrote:

In La Chanson de Roland, the Basque army ambushed the rearguard of the Frankish army, under the command of Roland, and obliterated them, and this event was famous at the Battle of Roncevaux Pass in 778

Here, is the phrase "under the command of Roland" correctly modifying rearguard of the Frankish army or is it modifying Basque army?
Thanks for your help.

Dear Ace800,

My friend, this is a noun modifier following the Modifier Touch Rule. Technically, it modifies "rearguard," because the prepositional phrase "of the Frankish army" is a vital noun modifier, and these can come between a target noun and a non-vital modifier.

Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Real Estate, Operations

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 12:50
mikemcgarry wrote:
Ace800 wrote:

Thanks for your help.

Dear Ace800,

My friend, this is a noun modifier following the Modifier Touch Rule. Technically, it modifies "rearguard," because the prepositional phrase "of the Frankish army" is a vital noun modifier, and these can come between a target noun and a non-vital modifier.

Does this make sense?

Yes, it does. Thanks a lot, Mike! :thumbup:
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 16:59
This question looks hard, but it is not hard to find the correct answer.
Using POE, ones can eliminate B,D and E.
E has no verb.
D changes the meaning
B misses some important words.
C is much better than A. First, ones need to know the meaning of obliteration which means destruction -> A is awkward.
Re: In the Battle of Roncevaux Pass in 778, the rearguard of the Frankish &nbs [#permalink] 27 Dec 2017, 16:59

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

In the Battle of Roncevaux Pass in 778, the rearguard of the Frankish

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap