Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618779 [14]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618779 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [1]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Rotman School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.59
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: John is studying theater, and if his self-confidence improves, it gave [#permalink]
A. it gave him a meaningful advantage in his field

Past Tense. eliminate

B. it will give him a meaningful advantage in his field

Theatre is John's field, should mean "it" is referring to self confidence. Fits in "if..then" structure. Will keep alive

C. it will give him an advantage in his field that is very meaningful

Meaningful Advantage is a neater way to convey the meaning. Eliminate. Eliminate

D. this can give him a meaningful advantage in his field

Unclear, what this is refering to. Eliminate

E. this art form will give him a meaningful advantage in his field

Art form is Theatre. His field is also Theatre. "Theatre will give him a meaningful advantage in Theatre" should not be right. Eliminate

B is the correct answer choice in my opinion.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
John is studying theater, and if his self-confidence improves, it gave [#permalink]
My answer is (B). It took me 36 seconds.

(A) Simple past tense is incompatible with the rest of the sentence.

(B) The use of "simple future" is appropriate: when the main clause uses simple future tense, the subordinate clause should be in simple present tense, hence "if his self-confidence improves".
Is there any ambiguity with "it"? When "it", used here as a subject in main clause, refers to the subject of the subordinate clause "his self-confidence" immediately before it, we can accept it.

(C) Unnecessarily wordy in "that is very meaningful".

(D) It is quite similar with (B). I eliminated (D) for two reasons: (1) it is not using simple future tense. (2) "this", unlike "it", feels a bit unnatural because it is not super clear what "this" refers to.

(E) What "art form"? The sentence does not mention an art form earlier. It is his improved self-confidence that will give him a meaningful advantage.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 681 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: John is studying theater, and if his self-confidence improves, it gave [#permalink]
Kudos
The actual sentence is
John is studying theater, and if his self-confidence improves, it gave him a meaningful advantage in his field.

Things to know before looking at the choices :
1. Both the constructions are correct :
If X happens, Y will happen.
If X happens, Y can/may happen.

2. IT(in case acting as a pronoun - and not a placeholder) refers to <subject> of the nearest clause.
3. What is meaningful in this sentence?
- the advantage because of the improved confidence ( and not the field).

4. "this" and "these" are a demonstrative pronouns (act as adjectives) and can't stand alone.

Now, let's look at the choices -

Incorrect construction: If <simple present>, then <simple past>
Looks right. hold on.
The field(theatre) is not meaningful.
"this" is a demonstrative pronoun (acts as adjective) and can't stand alone.
E. this art form will give him a meaningful advantage in his field.
This choice could be correct only if we "assume" that Self confidence is an art form.. We can't assume it.

Thus, B wins.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Given Kudos: 152
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Kudos
IMO B

John is studying theater, and if his self-confidence improves, it gave him a meaningful advantage in his field.

A. it gave him a meaningful advantage in his field - Incorrect
use of past tense gave is incorrect.
if something happens(simple future), something else will happen(simple future)

B. it will give him a meaningful advantage in his field - Correct
antecedent of it - self-confidence
his self-confidence will give him an advantage - seems right

C. it will give him an advantage in his field that is very meaningful - Incorrect
advantage that is very meaningfully is unnecessarily wordy. we have a better choice in option B

D. this can give him a meaningful advantage in his field - Incorrect
the original sentence implies that if something happens something else will happen. Changing will to can changes the meaning, now if something happens there is no guarantee that the other thing will happen

E. this art form will give him a meaningful advantage in his field - Incorrect
the original sentence implies that the confidence will help him in his field.
Plus, this art form- theater - cannot give him an advantage in his field of theater.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM

A. it gave him a meaningful advantage in his field -> if and present tense hints for "simple future tense". Incorrect.

B. it will give him a meaningful advantage in his field -> It is better. Let's keep it.

C. it will give him an advantage in his field that is very meaningful -> field is very meaningful or meaningful advantage. Incorrect.

D. this can give him a meaningful advantage in his field -> Same as A. Incorrect.

E. this art form will give him a meaningful advantage in his field -> Does theater will give him meaningful advantage or self confidence. Incorrect.

So, I think B. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM

KEY is to fulfill condition. If + simple present tense........., simple future tense.

IF condition is not fulfilled.

No remarks

Too wordy. Also modifier error

IF condition is not fulfilled

meaning error.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM

Pre-thinking: Tense usage - gave v/s can give v/s will give eliminates option A and D.

'meaningful' should modify 'the advantage' and not the field.

'it' refers to 'self-confidence' and this self-confidence will give him an advantage no the art from.

IMO answer should be Option B.
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1611 [0]
Given Kudos: 1679
Send PM

A. it gave him a meaningful advantage in his field Incorrect

past form wrong - it should be present tense or future tense

B. it will give him a meaningful advantage in his field Correct

C. it will give him an advantage in his field that is very meaningful Incorrect

this choice is redundant, B is more concise

D. this can give him a meaningful advantage in his field Incorrect

this refers to what - self-confidence or improvement

E. this art form will give him a meaningful advantage in his field Incorrect

art form changes intended meaning, it should be self-confidence
Rotman School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.59
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Could someone please explain how option E is the correct answer?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Kudos
IMO E

Firstly, we have to be absolutely clear about what will give him a meaningful advantage in his field.
Is it the self confidence? No.
Let's examine.
Cause: self-confidence improves
Effect : Improvement in theater

So essentially, it is the theatrical skills (that will improve because of improved self confidence) that will become an advantage in his field.

In A/B/C -> 'It' has an ambiguous antecedent and the meaning is not clear.

What does 'this' point to? Not clear.

Correct.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [0]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Bunuel can we have the Official Explanation please ? Despite having some compelling answers, there is still a lot of uncertainty as to why E is the OA.

AndrewN, I would love to hear your thoughts on this question.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos