GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 15:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
WE: Supply Chain Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2014, 14:33
Ecthelion wrote:
Does Rice give interview invitation on a rolling basis?I submitted on Jan 6 but still haven't heard anything from them. A friend of mine got the invitation last Friday so I am a bit nervous...

Yes, I have heard that they send out invites up through the notification week.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2014, 15:00
gabriel1984 wrote:
Got R2 interview invitation today. How quick...
Just wondering if they can give me admission quicker.

I had an interview early in round 1 and waited to what seemed like the last minute to get the admit. They do not give admits on a rolling basis. The round 1 invites did start coming in on the Thursday of deadline week and went into the Friday that is listed as the deadline.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V36
WE: Programming (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2014, 11:41
Just finished the interview.... It was with a second year student and was very conversational.....

All the best for others...

Regards,
Chetan
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2014, 15:53
anybody is applying for professional program...or did applied in round2... How tough it is for professional program...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2014, 00:16
Completed my interview yesterday at 2130 IST with the Associate Director of Admissions Mr Benjamin Guest. Was a chilled out interview. he just had the resume with him and asked me questions from the resume like some achievements I had mentioned and how I quantified the achievement. Then we had discussion on team building, leadership skills, why MBA, why rice, why now and how i would bring diversity to rice and what would be my contribution Rice (here i discussed a bit on my contribution during the MBA and also post MBA as an alum). We also discussed on a performance improvement project I had initiated and how I persuaded the management in implementing the same across the project. There was a discussion on my power sector experience and how it was enriching. I also had a publication in an international conference and we discussed about the same and what motivated me to do the research and publish. He also asked me to send across the paper to him which I did!!!

So overall a nice conversation. Lasted about 30-40 minutes. This was my first interview this season and I hope I did well

All the best to everyone who have their interviews lined up!! Be thorough with what you have written in the applications and go through your Resume as well!

Thanks!!
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.85
WE: Information Technology (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2014, 05:48
I am curious to know... I applied in R2 and completed my application before the deadline but my recommendations were submitted later (after the deadline). Does it mean that my application will not be considered for R2 ??

Anyone who submitted his/her application with recommendation after the deadline and got an interview invite for R2 ?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2014, 12:04
leo30 wrote:
I am curious to know... I applied in R2 and completed my application before the deadline but my recommendations were submitted later (after the deadline). Does it mean that my application will not be considered for R2 ??

Anyone who submitted his/her application with recommendation after the deadline and got an interview invite for R2 ?

Here is an excerpt from an email i got right before the round 1 deadline: If you submit the online application before the deadline and we receive your transcripts, GMAT scores, or letters of recommendation shortly after the date, you may still be considered for admission in round one.

My recommender submitted my letter the day of the deadline, and I was concerned that they would go through, but they were fine. If it was more than a few days after the deadline, you could email the admissions department to verify. I did send short email asking to validate that my application was complete, and they answered pretty quickly.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Cox '16 (II)

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2014, 06:05
Many applicants seem to have received an appplication waiver. What is the process to get this waiver?
MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2014, 13:24
Hello GMATCLUB Members,

We are bringing a webinar with Q&A as well as chats with current students focused on the Waitlisted Applicants.
The first event of this series is Webinar conducted by Admissionado's Founder and HBS Alum Jon Frank. Jon will share his suggestions followed by a Q&A session. This is your opportunity to ask your specific questions. The webinar will take place on 31st January 2014, Friday, 9 AM PST.

We shall also be conducting chat sessions with some Current students from various schools who were successfully admitted from a waitlist so you can learn what to expect from the process, what worked for them, and what it takes. These chats shall take place in our Chat Room. We will release the times & Dates (all will be the first week of February)

Registration Link: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/531329318
Download event to your Outlook
If you are on a waitlist - you do NOT want to miss these!

The webinar and chats are free. There will be a 30-minute Q&A session at the end of the Webinar on Friday Jan 31st at 9 AM PST - join to have your questions answered.

Thank You! :)

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Rice University (Jones) - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2014, 23:29
Hey everyone!

It's awesome to see this thread so active. Another current student here, you can PM me but fair warning, I don't log on much. Here's a couple of unanswered questions I dug up from earlier in this thread....

...and I think I know who texigan is... No clue on UTDB.

siddharthkanjilal wrote:
I noticed that the ALP takes place during the Spring semester of the first year. I also observed that you have normal classes during that semester (for example Data Analysis II, Ethics, Leadership etc.). Can you please throw some light on the timings? Do you work on the ALP on certain days of the week and classes on the other days? Are all the ALP host companies based in Houston? How many days do you spend working at the company's office during the entire thirteen week period? Also does the ALP include Capstone cases?

Thank you.

The companies are all based in Houston, but only 20 or so projects get staffed from the 35 projects students get to choose from. Spring semester most of your classes are in the afternoons, leaving mornings free for ALP. Although you have some set times for faculty meetings (usually a Monday or Wednesday morning), much of the scheduling for the work for ALP is arraigned within your team. There are no classes on Fridays so many people schedule their companies/client meetings on those days. My team went to our client's every week just to meet to touch base (we did all the work off-site), some teams meet less frequently (only a few times throughout the semester) as required by the project guidelines. Occasionally, some people work all-day on-site at the company every Friday (this is usually only due to secure information issues). Capstone is different than ALP, it's the MBAP equivalent of ALP done in the spring semester of their 2nd year.

When you're looking at the schedules also note that Rice is on the quarter system. Classes that are 1.5 credits will only meet for one quarter. Classes that are 3.0 credits will meet for the whole semester (two quarters).

chestud13 wrote:
Does anyone know how many consulting companies (IE. PwC, McKinsey, Deloitte, Accenture) recruit from Rice? How heavily do they recruit?

I can't say for sure how many consulting firms come to campus (just because that's not really my area). McKinsey, Deloitte, E&Y, and Accenture have been regulars. This year, BCG hired someone for full time and interviewed about 4-5 people that I know of for summer internships. There are also a number of boutique firms that recruit for full-time and internships as well.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2014, 17:39
Anyone applied to the Professional program? I thought it would not be too difficult to get it, but then I saw that someone got 700 on the GMAT and got dinged from rice professional program last year. Submitted my application in R2. Got interviewed. Just extremely nervous now. Does anyone know the timeline for the Professional program? My interviewer said it would be 3 to 4 weeks from the interview.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2014, 02:47
Done with the interview day before. Was relaxed and chilled out. Lets hope for the best.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2014, 09:00
FROM Jones(Rice) Admissions Blog: Advice from an EMBA student: so much more than a degree
Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
Christopher Doyle
Program Director - Solar Operations
Institute for Building Technology and Safety
Rice MBA for Executives, Class of 2015

Prospective students, friends and colleagues ask me quite often why I would want to take on an Executive MBA program.  This question had always been one of the most difficult to answer because ultimately, the decision to pursue an MBA was a combination of so many reasons.  In the end, I wanted to invest in my career, strengthen my professional and academic credentials, and diversify my business knowledge.  That being said, I chose Rice based on the excellent academic reputation, the on-campus experience which is second to none, and the flexibility of taking elective courses in my second year.  I grew up in Houston, and to me, Rice has always been the flagship academic institution in Texas.  The brand recognition doesn’t get any better than Rice University.  After visiting campus and class sessions here at the Jones Graduate School of Business (and a few other schools), I simply felt comfortable with the facilities and faculty at Rice.  The ability to choose elective courses to tailor make my MBA during my second year was an added bonus to allow me to focus my studies on what would benefit my particular career path.   

If I had two pieces of advice to give to prospective EMBA students, it would be this: 1) Take full advantage of the richness of the Rice University alumni network.  I wanted to make sure that the networking opportunities (ability to reach out and connect with other students and alumni) in my MBA experience are so impactful in this very concentrated alumni population which is a contrast to my large, undergraduate alumni experience. Take into consideration the impact of the alumni network not just while you’re in the MBA program but for a lifetime of years to come.  2) Make sure you treat this MBA endeavor as an experience and NOT just a means to an end.  The Rice Executive MBA program is so much more than a degree- the collaborative classroom experience, caliber of fellow classmates, and committed faculty all contribute to a life changing learning experience. 
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Intern
Intern
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2014, 06:59
so, i got my thank you card in the mail last Friday...
MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2014, 07:21

!
Join us for a chat with several current students who have been admitted from WL last year.
When: Tue Feb 4th at 9 AM PST
Where: GMAT Club Chat

The recording of the Getting off a Waitlist Webinar is now available on Youtube:

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2014, 11:28
Heya. R2 applicant here with no invite to interview yet. Ding without interview?????
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2014, 15:20
Just finished my Skype interview with a 2nd year student.

Questions asked:
- Tell me when you had to use creative thinking
- Tell me when you had to deal with a difficult teammate
- How did you solve the scenario above?
- Follow up question after my answer
- Why MBA?
- Why Rice?
- Follow up question to "why MBA?"
- Short/long term goals
- Constructive feedback, and how I dealt with it
- Any questions for me?

Lasted exactly 30 min. Skype behaved properly this time - no interruptions.

I can't say how it went... it was a typical conversational interview, like how a person would ask questions to another when meeting for the first time.
I stumbled on 1-2 questions since I hadn't prepared for them well enough, I think. Let's see what happens after 3 hell-ish weeks of waiting!

Good luck to the rest of you - don't hesitate to PM me if you have questions. :)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2014, 10:09
Hi everyone,

I am not quite sure if anyone will apply R3. I missed R2 deadline but I really like Rice and waiting another year is not an option. However, applying R3 means rejection especially where I saw may great applications have been rejected earlier. Any recommendation?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2014, 16:38
gmatfighter12 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am not quite sure if anyone will apply R3. I missed R2 deadline but I really like Rice and waiting another year is not an option. However, applying R3 means rejection especially where I saw may great applications have been rejected earlier. Any recommendation?

First, there are 4 total rounds, so they will be admitting people from this round and the next. Look back at the threads from past years and you can see that.

Second, if you can't wait until next year and really want rice, there is no better time than now!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.75
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2014, 04:53
Application requirement for Jones states that you need to submit GPA in scale of 4...Any applicant from india who had cGPA in scale of 10??? Did you submit GPA in scale of 4?? HOW??
Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! &nbs [#permalink] 10 Feb 2014, 04:53

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18    Next  [ 354 posts ] 

Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap