GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 14:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2013, 15:00
FROM Jones(Rice) Admissions Blog: Advice from EMBA Alumna on Taking on "Job #5"
Dr. Anita Ying
Rice MBA for Executives Class of 2013
Assistant Professor, Dept of Endocrine Neoplasia
and Division of Internal Medicine
Assistant Professor, Division of Pediatrics
Clinical Medical Director, Endocrine Center
U.T. MD Anderson Cancer Center
I received my medical degree at Duke University and then completed my internship and residency in Internal Medicine and Pediatrics at Duke. Then, I was asked to stay as Chief Resident in Pediatrics for a year, which is an administrative, educational, and clinical role where you manage 66 residents and supervise resident care of patients. This was during a significant change in graduate medical education when the 80 hour work week rules were started, so I was able to shape a lot of the implementation at the institutional level. I then returned to Houston to pursue a fellowship in Adult and Pediatric Endocrinology at Baylor College of Medicine and UT MD Anderson. Four board certifications later, I began my career at MD Anderson. I spend about 60% of my time seeing patients in the clinic or in the hospital. I focus on caring for adults and children with endocrine tumors or endocrine diseases as a result of their other tumors. The remainder of my time is spent focused on quality improvement initiatives in my own department and across the institution. I serve on various committees that focus on measuring and improving the quality of care we provide and improving the customer experience for patients and referring physicians.

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
Throughout my training, I knew that I wanted to have an impact on healthcare delivery at the system level, not just to the individual patient that entrusted me with their care. In order to eventually take on such a position, I felt a responsibility to ensure I had the appropriate skill set to be a leader in the healthcare industry. It is an unusual career path for a physician in academic medicine, so I had to create a path for myself and not be shy seeking out mentors. I was fortunate to have the support of not only my mentors and supervisors, but also my colleagues in pursuing an MBA.

As I look back on my Rice MBA for Executives experience, the best part of my journey has been the time spent with my fellow classmates. I have made some lifelong friends and connections across so many industries. I have learned a lot about myself as a team member, leader, and have had the privilege to work on teams with some very smart, dedicated folks. And, I finally can have an educated conversation about the financial markets and the energy sector.

My one piece of advice to prospective students? Get organized! As my kids will tell you, I have four jobs – Mom, wife, doctor, and medical administrator, so adding a fifth job of EMBA student required upfront planning and support in all my other jobs. I felt no guilt in outsourcing tasks, while at the same time making sure I was present for events important to my family. I had discussions with my personal and professional “bosses” well ahead of time that this was what I wanted to do and why I wanted it, and thus had their 100% support. Many people negotiate for financial support for the Executive MBA, but negotiating for time was my priority. There is so much you can learn during those two years if you give yourself the time to do it. Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2013, 07:53
Anyone converted their 10-point GPA to a 4-point one as mandated by Jones school? I have a few questions...
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2013, 11:15
Hi

can anyone please elaborate on the process of GPA conversion to 4.0 point scale. Is it mandatory? The application instruction says evaluation recommended, what exactly is the evaluation? How much does it cost?
I am Indian applicant and did my engineering from NIT Kurkshetra. Can`t I get waiver for this conversion.
Please help, need to put application in the second round.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.55
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2014, 22:27
prolic wrote:
Hi

can anyone please elaborate on the process of GPA conversion to 4.0 point scale. Is it mandatory? The application instruction says evaluation recommended, what exactly is the evaluation? How much does it cost?
I am Indian applicant and did my engineering from NIT Kurkshetra. Can`t I get waiver for this conversion.
Please help, need to put application in the second round.

The following is the email I got from adcom:

"
The conversion of your GPA is not required but strongly recommended. The WES GPA conversion tool is not applicable to all institutions. It is because of this that we recommend having your documents evaluated by a third party evaluator.

You are welcome to submit your documents as is without and evaluation or GPA conversion. Please note that if the Admissions Committee has any doubt regarding your degree equivalency or GPA, you will be required to have a credential evaluation completed for admissions consideration.

If I can be of further assistance to you, please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Paige

"

Hope this will help you.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2014, 23:13
gabriel1984 wrote:
The following is the email I got from adcom:

"
The conversion of your GPA is not required but strongly recommended. The WES GPA conversion tool is not applicable to all institutions. It is because of this that we recommend having your documents evaluated by a third party evaluator.

You are welcome to submit your documents as is without and evaluation or GPA conversion. Please note that if the Admissions Committee has any doubt regarding your degree equivalency or GPA, you will be required to have a credential evaluation completed for admissions consideration.

If I can be of further assistance to you, please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Paige

"

Hope this will help you.

On the other hand, Katie me to convert to a 4.0 scale using WES. Here's her reply:

"Please proceed with using the WES method of converting your GPA. This is the preferred method, and if we have any questions or need any clarification, we will be sure to get in touch with you. It is interesting that someone posted on the GMAT Club page that they were asked to submit their GPA without converting. I can guarantee that this instruction did not come from the Admissions Office."
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2014, 14:38
Got R2 interview invitation today. How quick...
Just wondering if they can give me admission quicker.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V36
WE: Programming (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2014, 19:04
gabriel1984 wrote:
Got R2 interview invitation today. How quick...
Just wondering if they can give me admission quicker.

Congratulations..... and All the best :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2014, 00:35
Got an interview invite today..I am an Indian applicant for R2 deadlines. Anyone scheduled their interviews??
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2014, 00:58
brethart999 wrote:
Got an interview invite today..I am an Indian applicant for R2 deadlines. Anyone scheduled their interviews??

Next Monday
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2014, 11:20
What all they ask in the interviews??
Intern
Intern
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2014, 20:31
brethart999 wrote:
What all they ask in the interviews??

Hi!
I'm also an international applicant who applied in round 2.
My interview was today. It was fairly conversational and the interviewer did not ask any 'out of the box' questions. Below are some examples.

Explain your background/Walk through your resume.
Describe a situation where you had to persuade someone.
Give an example of your team leadership.
Tell me about a leader you have worked with and what you admired about that person.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2014, 16:39
What company does Rice use to conduct background check? What do they ask for?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2014, 06:50
Does Rice give interview invitation on a rolling basis?I submitted on Jan 6 but still haven't heard anything from them. A friend of mine got the invitation last Friday so I am a bit nervous...
Intern
Intern
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2014, 15:10
Im an R2 applicant and just got invited to interview as well, Im so happy!

Does anybody have any tips for the interview?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2014, 15:22
marialestate wrote:

Are you an international candidate or from the US?? I too got a call. scheduled it for jan 21st.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2014, 15:54
brethart999 wrote:
marialestate wrote:

Are you an international candidate or from the US?? I too got a call. scheduled it for jan 21st.

I'm an international student, but haven't scheduled the interview!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2014, 23:02
Received interview invite at 3:30am India time 17 Jan (GMT+5:30 timezone)!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kelley '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2014, 23:38
Got the invite as well !.. Good luck folks !..

Usually Second students interview rite ??
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2014, 23:54
count me in 2. Got an invite yesterday.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
WE: Supply Chain Management (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2014, 14:32
EnemyInside wrote:
Got the invite as well !.. Good luck folks !..

Usually Second students interview rite ??

Yeah, when I had my round 1 it was a second year student.

There were some good tips in earlier posts on this forum, but i will try and summarize:
1)Make sure that the message you conveyed in your application is clearly reiterated during the interview.
2)Be yourself and make sure that you really know why you need an MBA, why right now is the best time, and most importantly Why Rice.
3)I didn't (and haven't heard of anyone) have an interviewer ask any really oddball questions, and they really are trying to get the know the person behind the application.
4) Be ready to ask questions. I got some great candid feedback from my interviewer.

I am also local to the Houston area, so if you have any questions about H-town feel free to ask.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! &nbs [#permalink] 20 Jan 2014, 14:32

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  18    Next  [ 354 posts ] 

Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap