Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [5]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [2]
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [2]
Send PM
Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2148 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022! [#permalink]
cchung703 wrote:
What kind of response is the school looking for? Any specifics you can provide would be great.
What drives your interest in these short- and long-term goals?

You have to present yourself in the essays. Especially in long term goals, you have to present your ideas and career aspirations.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022! [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
cchung703 wrote:
What kind of response is the school looking for? Any specifics you can provide would be great.

Hi There,

The wording of this essay prompt suggests that they have also asked you the short term and long term goals.
Basically, they are trying to understand the connection between your past experiences and your future goals. In other words, what experience(s) in the past have motivated you to pursue these goals? In the course of your work, have you seen a business problem that you wish to tackle and that has driven your stated career goals? Or do you see an opportunity for growth which has informed your goals?

Sometimes applicants write lofty career goals, which are completely disassociated from their work experience (say for example, writing about joining the social sector, when nothing in your resume points to your interest or involvement in this sector). This question should make you think about how your story- past, present and future connects together, and thus shows coherence
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
cchung703 wrote:

Business schools want to understand you. They want to know your reasons for coming, how you intend to make an impact while there, and what you'll do after.

Your application materials, including this answer, should highlight your strengths and personal characteristics ("personal brand"), how they've manifested in your life and career to date ("narratives"), and your short and long-term goals ("post-school goals"). This logical arc should hinge not only on how the MBA will not only allow you to move from past to future, but how the MBA at that school is critical in your ability to do so.

This question wants to make sure you really know why you're chasing these goals. Tying to your history, strengths, and previous jobs make your answer more compelling. Think:

- I liked this part of my work, but not this, so I want to do this
- I've been doing this and I want to accelerate my trajectory
- I have learned a lot about this sector and now want to jump in
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [3]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi Friends! Application season has started so I thought I would do a little AMA for those applying to Kellogg and wanting some info.

I’m a rising second year student in Kellogg’s 2Y program. I’m currently doing my internship in tech. Happy to answer any questions you may have about what the program is like or anything really.

AMA

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
For those of you applying to Stanford, you can get a bit more mileage out of the introspection for What Matters Most with Kellogg essay 2 here – essays for both schools should illustrate a transformative experience and how it reflects your present day values.

Originally posted by MBAPrepCoach on 04 Jul 2019, 09:03.
Last edited by MBAPrepCoach on 25 Jul 2019, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
For those of you applying to Stanford,

MBAPrepCoach

Did you mean Kellogg?
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Full-Time MBA Application Series: Career Goals
By Christine Mayer, director of admissions

As you know, the career goals you put in your application are binding for the rest of your life. You may never waver from them and will be expected to follow only them at Kellogg and beyond…

I’m obviously kidding! But we know articulating your career goals can be a source of stress in this process. Some of you may have specific long-term goals but be trying to figure immediate steps while others may have identified a next step or phase but are open to what the future holds beyond that. The good news is that both are acceptable, and we’re looking to understand you and where you want to go.

We ask you to reflect on your career goals because the job search process can start quickly, with companies coming on campus to woo and impress you just a few weeks into your first quarter. Because you will be exposed to new opportunities and companies you had never even considered, it’s important to do that reflection ahead of time so that you come in with a grounding of what’s important to you and where you think you want to go. This will help you make sense of all the opportunities in front of you and weed out the noise and confusion from the things that really matter to you. You can still change your mind and explore new paths, but you need to be grounded in a starting point or you’ll find yourself quickly overwhelmed and suffering from FOMO for things you aren’t even interested in!

As you consider your career goals, I have a few pieces of advice on how to identify them and how to share them with us:

• Think about what you like most/least about your work or your company. Identifying things you enjoying doing is more likely to lead you to a compatible next step than trying to get away from things you don’t like.
  • Talk to people that do what you want to do. Leverage those in your company or your LinkedIn network and find out what they do every day. Does it sound like something you’d like? How did they get to where they are today? This may help you identify intermediate steps to your ultimate goal.
  • Tell us the truth! One pitfall we see is people telling us what they think we want to hear. This can be a problem in two ways. One is in the application review – when the goal you give us doesn’t really fit with where you’ve been or where you want to go, it can make it hard to understand your path and how the MBA will help you – it may actually raise more of a question mark around your goals. The other place this can cause an issue is after you’re admitted. We match resources to you based on what you tell us in the application, like connecting you with current students/alums who share a similar path. When applicants say one thing in the application but actually want a different path, it means we’re not connecting you with the most useful resources to help you with your decision.

So do some research to help you form your goals and discover how you plan to leverage your path and the Kellogg MBA to get where you want to go. The clearer it is to you, the clearer it will be to us, and you’ll be setting yourself up for success when you start at Kellogg!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
No workout, I meant to say Stanford. There is a lot you can leverage between the schools because the essays for both Stanford and Kellogg speak to your values

workout wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
For those of you applying to Stanford,

MBAPrepCoach

Did you mean Kellogg?
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [1]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Our Kellogg moderator jaja231 is organizing an interview with a current Kellogg student and also with an adcom member. If you have any questions for them, please post them in the following topic.

The interview with the current student will happen in about a week and the interview with the adcom member will happen in about a month.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/questions-yo ... 99733.html
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
This career goals blog is absolutely great.

#2 is the most underutilized strategy in MBA admissions; applicants tell me they are afraid of not looking like the "know enough" but who cares...the person you are contacting realizes it is an informational interview; that is why you are reaching out...

this process requires that you are informed about yourself, your schools and your goals. Clear goals provide a type of RUDDER for everything else; it provides momentum for this long grueling process. Informed goals lead to good school choices and when you are in b school you can better leverage your time there! Learn some stuff rather than recruit for 3 different industries...what a waste.

Informational interviews with people doing the job is indispensable in researching your goals.

What is really cool, my clients get offered internship interviews from these calls sometimes. There is no reason to wait for business school to start networking.

Narenn wrote:
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Full-Time MBA Application Series: Career Goals
By Christine Mayer, director of admissions

As you know, the career goals you put in your application are binding for the rest of your life. You may never waver from them and will be expected to follow only them at Kellogg and beyond…

I’m obviously kidding! But we know articulating your career goals can be a source of stress in this process. Some of you may have specific long-term goals but be trying to figure immediate steps while others may have identified a next step or phase but are open to what the future holds beyond that. The good news is that both are acceptable, and we’re looking to understand you and where you want to go.

We ask you to reflect on your career goals because the job search process can start quickly, with companies coming on campus to woo and impress you just a few weeks into your first quarter. Because you will be exposed to new opportunities and companies you had never even considered, it’s important to do that reflection ahead of time so that you come in with a grounding of what’s important to you and where you think you want to go. This will help you make sense of all the opportunities in front of you and weed out the noise and confusion from the things that really matter to you. You can still change your mind and explore new paths, but you need to be grounded in a starting point or you’ll find yourself quickly overwhelmed and suffering from FOMO for things you aren’t even interested in!

As you consider your career goals, I have a few pieces of advice on how to identify them and how to share them with us:

• Think about what you like most/least about your work or your company. Identifying things you enjoying doing is more likely to lead you to a compatible next step than trying to get away from things you don’t like.
  • Talk to people that do what you want to do. Leverage those in your company or your LinkedIn network and find out what they do every day. Does it sound like something you’d like? How did they get to where they are today? This may help you identify intermediate steps to your ultimate goal.
  • Tell us the truth! One pitfall we see is people telling us what they think we want to hear. This can be a problem in two ways. One is in the application review – when the goal you give us doesn’t really fit with where you’ve been or where you want to go, it can make it hard to understand your path and how the MBA will help you – it may actually raise more of a question mark around your goals. The other place this can cause an issue is after you’re admitted. We match resources to you based on what you tell us in the application, like connecting you with current students/alums who share a similar path. When applicants say one thing in the application but actually want a different path, it means we’re not connecting you with the most useful resources to help you with your decision.

So do some research to help you form your goals and discover how you plan to leverage your path and the Kellogg MBA to get where you want to go. The clearer it is to you, the clearer it will be to us, and you’ll be setting yourself up for success when you start at Kellogg!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi,

How GRE friendly is Kellogg?
It's one of the schools that does not disclose GRE averages.
Wondering if anyone here has applied with GRE scores and has been successful?

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
One question - In the Employer section of the application, there is an area that asks for "Years of full-time work experience (upon matriculation, excludes internships)"

Does that mean years of expected work experience on Aug 2020? So in other words should I add a year of work experience to my current work experience?
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yep, exactly that!
nhpatel0999 wrote:
One question - In the Employer section of the application, there is an area that asks for "Years of full-time work experience (upon matriculation, excludes internships)"

Does that mean years of expected work experience on Aug 2020? So in other words should I add a year of work experience to my current work experience?
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [1]
Send PM