Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [15]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1173 [5]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 508 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: Very Tough "EXCEPT" question [#permalink]
DYNAMITE wrote:
Many experts in international trade claim that providing low- or no-interest loans to start-up businesses in the third world will ultimately benefit American businesses. They claim that these start-up businesses may introduce new markets or products that American businesses will later be able to take advantage of, providing a greater long-term benefit than a higher rate of interest ever could.

Each of the following statements, if true, weakens the conclusion EXCEPT:

(A) 95% of third-world start-ups go out of business within their first two years on the market.

(B) Third-world start-ups tend to focus on niche markets that are not particularly susceptible to foreign competition.

(C) Many third-world countries have regulations that make it difficult for foreign interests to take advantage of successful domestic companies.

(D) Third-world countries with successful domestic businesses usually increase their consumption of imported goods dramatically.

(E) Many third-world governments choose to nationalize important industries as soon as they begin to produce significant exports.

Hey guys please explain your reasoning for your answer choice!

I go with D ;
If they import goods, it shows the market is growing.. and its beneficial for any new/foreign player to step in .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
I'm having trouble understanding why B is the wrong answer. Since they aren't susceptible to foreign competition they will be able to grow at a faster rate thus allowing the US to take advantage of them. IMO - a clear strengthener. Thanks!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [2]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Kudos
DYNAMITE wrote:
I'm having trouble understanding why B is the wrong answer. Since they aren't susceptible to foreign competition they will be able to grow at a faster rate thus allowing the US to take advantage of them. IMO - a clear strengthener. Thanks!

I concur!!

If B said:
Third-world start-ups tend to focus on niche markets that focuses only on limited products. Agreeable!!!

Also,
Third-world start-ups tend to focus on niche markets that are not particularly susceptible to foreign competition.

It doesn't look like that the US companies that will try to take advantage of these businesses would also be in direct competition with them so as to be hurt.

No idea!!!

However, it is also evident that "D" strengthens the argument.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yup, I was stuck between B & D on the practice set I was doing, and, of course, I picked the wrong one.

Thanks for the perspective fluke!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
 Q49  V29 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
Send PM
IMO D strengthens the conclusion though slightly :).

E is out of bounds. A, B and C weaken the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:UNC Duke Kellogg
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Kudos
DYNAMITE wrote:

The stimulus states that third world start-up businesses may introduce "new markets" or products that American businesses will later be able to take advantage of. Choice B says that the markets introduced by the third world start-ups tend be highly specialized and thus impervious to foreign competition (i.e the American businesses will not be able to take advantage of these markets in the third world countries). Choice B does not mean that these third world start-ups themselves are immune to foreign competition. Choice B weakens the argument.

In this question - Choice D actually strengthens the argument -- but this may not always be the case in these "Except" questions. The correct answer choice can also be neutral. For example -- if you had a choice that said -- "A majority of the start-ups in the third world countries are founded by women" --- that would be your correct response for this "except" question because it's a neutral statement. It neither weakens the author's conclusion nor strengthens it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
I go with D. "They claim that these start-up businesses may introduce new markets or products that American businesses will later be able to take advantage of, providing a greater long-term benefit than a higher rate of interest ever could."

Only D does not weaken the argument as it says that the startups would import foreign goods and technology.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I see. This was actually a phrasing misintepretation on my part. Its that the relative pronoun "that" refers to the foreign markets and not to the starts up. Since the niche markets are susceptible to foreign competition, the US can't really enter them!

Thanks for clearing this up!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
B Clearly weakens the argument by saying that the foreign businesses may not even be in the competition in the specific niche market.

D Strengthens the argument by saying with the success of third world countries, a surge in consumer demand will open a big market segment for foreign businesses.

So, I'd go with 'D' as the correct answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Pardon my ignorance, but I still don't get why B is wrong?

(B) Third-world start-ups tend to focus on niche markets that are not particularly susceptible to foreign competition''

The conclusion is that american business will not benefit from these third world start ups, right?
According to B, if the third world start ups in nice markets are not susceptible to foreign competition, then it should be GOOD news for American businesses because they benefit from these companies right? I mean they don't need to be in competition to be benefiting from the businesses right?

Can someone explain in detail? Thanks.
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Send PM
even i don't understand yet why B s wrong...
doing well in a niche market is good for the business..
The only way i can convince myself of D as the correct choice is by thinking that the 3rd-world Company is doing well in a niche market and since the statement says that the company is not susceptible to FOREIGN competition, US companies cannot benefit from the good show of the 3rd world company as the US companies probably cannot match the 3rd world company in expertise,technology among others as it is a NICHE market..

hope i am right in my thinking??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Send PM
LifeChanger wrote:
The only way i can convince myself of D as the correct choice is by thinking that the 3rd-world Company is doing well in a niche market and since the statement says that the company is not susceptible to FOREIGN competition, US companies cannot benefit from the good show of the 3rd world company as the US companies probably cannot match the 3rd world company in expertise,technology among others as it is a NICHE market..

How does the argument say US will be able to have a long term benefit from these companies? By opening products and markets which US can take advantage of - that is enter later. B says these are the kind of markets where forign competition is not successful - clearly it weakens the argument's very premise that US will be bale to get benifit by entering this market later
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Many experts in international trade claim that providing [#permalink]
Kudos
Each of the following statements, if true, weakens the conclusion EXCEPT:

To attack this kind of questions we need to find an answer choice that is neutral or strengthens the conclsuion.
EXCEPT means that 4 WRONG answer choices weaken the argument and 1 correct answer strngthens the argument or is neutral.

(A) 95% of third-world start-ups go out of business within their first two years on the market. -> Clearly weakens the argument

(B) Third-world start-ups tend to focus on niche markets that are not particularly susceptible to foreign competition.-> Clearly weakens the argument

(C) Many third-world countries have regulations that make it difficult for foreign interests to take advantage of successful domestic companies. -> Clearly weakens the argument

(D) Third-world countries with successful domestic businesses usually increase their consumption of imported goods dramatically. -> CORRECT - it strengthens the argument, as it have a positive effect for foreign companies

(E) Many third-world governments choose to nationalize important industries as soon as they begin to produce significant exports. -> Clearly weakens the argument

Hey guys please explain your reasoning for your answer choice!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Many experts in international trade claim that providing [#permalink]
A,C,E are facts which weakens the conclusion .It leaves B and D .Focus on niche market may/may not give a good return on the investment .
But D clearly states that consumption of imported goods increase .Hence D is the logical choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Side note - the term "third world" is outdated, refers to cold-war geopolitics (countries that did not align with the West or its communist rivals). I believe the term that would have been more appropriate here is "developing countries" or "low-income" countries. Grateful for the question as a GMAT student, but must call out the phrase "third world" as rather unfortunate as used here
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Clearly and undoubtedly D.
Think If this statement was added in the passage,it will go along with it,meaning you can add this piece of info using 'in addition', instead of but.So,it clearly strengthens the conclusion as does premise do.The other options either evidently weaken it or indirectly does.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 266
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
Send PM
LifeChanger wrote:

Many experts in international trade claim that providing low- or no-interest loans to start-up businesses in the third world will ultimately benefit American businesses. They claim that these start-up businesses may introduce new markets or products that American businesses will later be able to take advantage of, providing a greater long-term benefit than a higher rate of interest ever could.

They claim that American businesses will later be able to take advantage of new markets or products.

(B) Third-world start-ups tend to focus on niche markets that are not particularly susceptible to foreign competition.

Option B says that start-ups tend to focus on niche markets. These niche markets are not susceptible to foreign competition. In other words, these niche markets are not likely to be influenced by foreign competition. So basically these startups will not develop new market or products in America. So there will not be any long term benefit.

Hope it helps!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts