GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 08:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MBA Laptop 2016

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2016
Posts: 4
Re: MBA Laptop 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 07:29
I'm having the same decision. I have a Asus t100, which is just about adequate but can be slow even when using websites, it also requires a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse so that's 3 batteries to worry about dying.

My experience if Apple is 4 products which have definitely followed the advert of "they just don't work", I've spent so long finding workarounds I probably wouldn't want to be spending time on this during assignments.

So it's now a toss up between a laptop (powerful specs but heavy), 2in1 like the Yoga, (moderate specs and weight), or the Surface (moderate specs but probably not the most productive being so small). This is based on £500-600 investment.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Apr 2017
Posts: 8
Reviews Badge
Re: MBA Laptop 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2018, 12:32
Please do not buy a Dell computer. I purchased the XPS 13 6 months ago and it has crashed 3 times already. Each time I had to
reinstall the operating system, thereby deleting everything stored on my laptop - files, pictures -everything. I would have lost
it all if I did not have cloud storage. Technicians could not help me retrive backup files from the hard drive.
To make matters worse, they asked me to pay more money above the basic warranty which I had already paid for to "fix" the issue, which
they could not do successfully. The first time it happened I was told it was a one-off event. This is
the third time this has happened. I've spent countless hours on the phone over several days, trying an
inordinate number of steps to no avail. Dell refused to give me a refund, replacement or exchange despite my "premium"
warranty. To add insult to injury, they claimed they would send someone over to fix it in 2-3 days. Being
that technicians don't work on the weekend and they have no emergency response.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16846
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: MBA Laptop 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 09:10
Sorry to hear about the Dell.
I upgraded to the latest MacBook with the touch bar. It has not been a great experience either - i had to change all my accessories/cables/etc since it only has USB-C ports.... there seems to be an issue with display drivers and HDMI adaptors that allow me to connect multiple displays. My favorite issue is when I share my screen on hangouts with a monitor connected, my wireless connection drops. I cannot explain it - never seen anything like that. I have tried multiple HDMI adapters but all including the official apple one crap out. (I confess, I am using it with Windows, not MacOS but still.... never had anything as crazy and annoying with the last gen)
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2657
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: MBA Laptop 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 09:28
I have the same laptop I got in 2014 (Asus). I thought multiple times to change it, but in the end - changed HDD to SSD (cost of a new SSD varies between $100 and $500) - works like new. Had problems with network connectivity, and changed the wi-fi adapter. Now it works even better than before...
I guess I'll still keep my laptop for a couple of more years :(
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16846
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: MBA Laptop 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 09:59
My old laptop worked just fine but it was a corporate laptop, so it was time to replace it. The new one works worse than a 3.5 year old one did... and I definitely do not see any speed improvement - at all, probably the opposite is true.... so you may not be in a bad spot with a 2016 one. That's practically new ;-)
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4464
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: MBA Laptop 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 07:17
I had a Dell computer (a very expensive XPS 12 - the convertible tablet ultrabook) that I bought in late 2012 or early 2013. I absolutely hated it. It was very powerful but it was riddled with trackpad, network and other random issues. I jumped the gun to a macbook air and never looked back. My macbook air was perfect but unfortunately, it was stolen in 2015 :(. Since then I have been using the macbook pro (early 2015 retina - no fancy touch bar back then), and this seems to be fine. I have had two issues with the macbook - both of them with displays. One time the graphics card was shorted and another time the IC chip seemed to have issues. So I will probably buy a cheap laptop as a back up for business school and keep the macbook pro as my daily driver. Also, there is a lot of chatter about running windows in b school, so I will probably go for the surface laptop (under $1000) which seems to be a product aimed at students.
_________________

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2657
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
MBA Laptop 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 07:27
souvik101990 wrote:
I had a Dell computer (a very expensive XPS 12 - the convertible tablet ultrabook) that I bought in late 2012 or early 2013. I absolutely hated it. It was very powerful but it was riddled with trackpad, network and other random issues. I jumped the gun to a macbook air and never looked back. My macbook air was perfect but unfortunately, it was stolen in 2015 :(. Since then I have been using the macbook pro (early 2015 retina - no fancy touch bar back then), and this seems to be fine. I have had two issues with the macbook - both of them with displays. One time the graphics card was shorted and another time the IC chip seemed to have issues. So I will probably buy a cheap laptop as a back up for business school and keep the macbook pro as my daily driver. Also, there is a lot of chatter about running windows in b school, so I will probably go for the surface laptop (under $1000) which seems to be a product aimed at students.


I heard a lot of stories that once you get to MAC, you don't want to get back to Windows.
I'm not a fan of Macbooks though...
Surface is a good choice; I'm thinking about getting one when my laptop dies, but damn, it doesn't!
The problems with PC are mostly because of the user. I have a PC at work that I haven't changed for 4 years, built it myself (Intel i7, Samsung SSD, 32GB DDR3, 2 Nvidia 730 - 1 GB each -I don't need high-performance GPU, I just rather need to be able to connect 4+ monitors). My coworkers change PC every half year because it "lags, viruses, etc". I hate it because they bug me with the requests to help them get new one :-)
Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4464
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: MBA Laptop 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 08:15
mvictor wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
I had a Dell computer (a very expensive XPS 12 - the convertible tablet ultrabook) that I bought in late 2012 or early 2013. I absolutely hated it. It was very powerful but it was riddled with trackpad, network and other random issues. I jumped the gun to a macbook air and never looked back. My macbook air was perfect but unfortunately, it was stolen in 2015 :(. Since then I have been using the macbook pro (early 2015 retina - no fancy touch bar back then), and this seems to be fine. I have had two issues with the macbook - both of them with displays. One time the graphics card was shorted and another time the IC chip seemed to have issues. So I will probably buy a cheap laptop as a back up for business school and keep the macbook pro as my daily driver. Also, there is a lot of chatter about running windows in b school, so I will probably go for the surface laptop (under $1000) which seems to be a product aimed at students.


I heard a lot of stories that once you get to MAC, you don't want to get back to Windows.
I'm not a fan of Macbooks though...
Surface is a good choice; I'm thinking about getting one when my laptop dies, but damn, it doesn't!
The problems with PC are mostly because of the user. I have a PC at work that I haven't changed for 4 years, built it myself (Intel i7, Samsung SSD, 32GB DDR3, 2 Nvidia 730 - 1 GB each -I don't need high-performance GPU, I just rather need to be able to connect 4+ monitors). My coworkers change PC every half year because it "lags, viruses, etc". I hate it because they bug me with the requests to help them get new one :-)


Oh man I agree with you SO much. I really miss having a workstation with a giant monitor or a pair of monitors. It really makes multitasking easier especially if you do a lot of emails and spreadsheet/presentation work together. One of the things that I am thinking is to buy an external monitor (you get ultrawide full HD monitors for as little as $200) and use it as a workstation in school, but I don't know if that will be an overkill or totally unnecessary considering how people swear by portability.

Re: Mac - I honestly think 5 years back macbook and OSX had a significant advantage over windows just because of malwares and viruses plaguing the windows ecosystem, but I think it is pretty equivalent. Surface products, especially are built like tanks.
_________________

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2657
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
MBA Laptop 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 10:07
souvik101990 wrote:
mvictor wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
I had a Dell computer (a very expensive XPS 12 - the convertible tablet ultrabook) that I bought in late 2012 or early 2013. I absolutely hated it. It was very powerful but it was riddled with trackpad, network and other random issues. I jumped the gun to a macbook air and never looked back. My macbook air was perfect but unfortunately, it was stolen in 2015 :(. Since then I have been using the macbook pro (early 2015 retina - no fancy touch bar back then), and this seems to be fine. I have had two issues with the macbook - both of them with displays. One time the graphics card was shorted and another time the IC chip seemed to have issues. So I will probably buy a cheap laptop as a back up for business school and keep the macbook pro as my daily driver. Also, there is a lot of chatter about running windows in b school, so I will probably go for the surface laptop (under $1000) which seems to be a product aimed at students.


I heard a lot of stories that once you get to MAC, you don't want to get back to Windows.
I'm not a fan of Macbooks though...
Surface is a good choice; I'm thinking about getting one when my laptop dies, but damn, it doesn't!
The problems with PC are mostly because of the user. I have a PC at work that I haven't changed for 4 years, built it myself (Intel i7, Samsung SSD, 32GB DDR3, 2 Nvidia 730 - 1 GB each -I don't need high-performance GPU, I just rather need to be able to connect 4+ monitors). My coworkers change PC every half year because it "lags, viruses, etc". I hate it because they bug me with the requests to help them get new one :-)


Oh man I agree with you SO much. I really miss having a workstation with a giant monitor or a pair of monitors. It really makes multitasking easier especially if you do a lot of emails and spreadsheet/presentation work together. One of the things that I am thinking is to buy an external monitor (you get ultrawide full HD monitors for as little as $200) and use it as a workstation in school, but I don't know if that will be an overkill or totally unnecessary considering how people swear by portability.

Re: Mac - I honestly think 5 years back macbook and OSX had a significant advantage over windows just because of malwares and viruses plaguing the windows ecosystem, but I think it is pretty equivalent. Surface products, especially are built like tanks.


Oh, yes it is true. I now have 4 23 inch monitors, and I think sometimes it's not enough :D
I use 1 monitor for emails, 1 for Skype (I have 2 Skype accounts, and most of my work is done via IM), 1 for regular browsing, and 1 for google docs - we use a lot of excel on google docs for work.
Attached a picture of how it is.
p.s.: it is also easy for my after-hours activities too :D
Attachments

viber image.jpg
viber image.jpg [ 234.18 KiB | Viewed 451 times ]

GMAT Club Bot
MBA Laptop 2016 &nbs [#permalink] 12 Mar 2018, 10:07

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

MBA Laptop 2016

  new topic post reply Update application status  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.