It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 11:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Laptop 2016

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2015
Posts: 29

Kudos [?]: 4 [2], given: 8

MBA 2016 Laptop [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 21:26
2
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

I'll be starting my MBA in 2016.
What are the minimum recommended specs?
Which laptops are recommended?

I have a macbook air 2011 and a macbook pro, both running win8.1 on dualboot.
Should I get a new(er) laptop?

I personally prefer windows OS.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 4 [2], given: 8

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2015
Posts: 43

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.22
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: MBA Laptop 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2015, 16:22
mangosmoothie wrote:
Hi,

I'll be starting my MBA in 2016.
What are the minimum recommended specs?
Which laptops are recommended?

I have a macbook air 2011 and a macbook pro, both running win8.1 on dualboot.
Should I get a new(er) laptop?

I personally prefer windows OS.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks!


What specs do your laptops have? But just a guess that you probably have a Sandy Bridge Core i5 in the Macbook pro? Hardware wise you would be fine, my only concern at that point when you start school would be the battery. It might not last you as long.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 15865

Kudos [?]: 29069 [0], given: 5264

Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: MBA Laptop 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2015, 18:47
In my experience, none of my dells lived more than 4 years (they died shortly after the 4th year anniversary from either dust, overheating, or both). Mac hardware seems to be better but battery life and inevitable death are what worries me. I would actually suggest updating/replacing such aged equipment as it will be abused, hauled around, and it would really be nice not to have a 6-year old computer fail and wipe out all of your data with it right before the paper is due.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan


Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 29069 [0], given: 5264

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2015
Posts: 13

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: MBA Laptop 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2015, 13:52
I decided to buy ThinkPad Yoga 12 Ultrabook with i7 and 512Gb SSD. Since Lenovo is a corporate standard in MBB consulting, hope it will be enough for MBA studies. Also excited about Digitizer Pen - should be convenient thing.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 15865

Kudos [?]: 29069 [1], given: 5264

Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: MBA Laptop 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2015, 15:04
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
StudentFromMoscow wrote:
I decided to buy ThinkPad Yoga 12 Ultrabook with i7 and 512Gb SSD. Since Lenovo is a corporate standard in MBB consulting, hope it will be enough for MBA studies. Also excited about Digitizer Pen - should be convenient thing.



Should be a good choice.
I would recommend anything light with good battery life (you will be lugging it around quite a bit) and with books and other items it will be a heavy load.
SSD is great as it helps to reduce weight, noise, energy consumption, and potential data loss from physical abuse (though SSD's did (still do?) have a known service limit that is lower than disk-drives resulting into serious data loss, often very suddenly). Thus a backup solution that runs in the background is highly recommended. There are lots of options and many are free for the first few Gigs. Mozy has something and so does Carbonite, etc. I run mine 2x day and it is pretty quick saving docs/etc. You can also work in the Dropbox folder and that saves your changes automatically.

P.S. I do not recommend Chromebooks as you will have Excel and other applications to run on the computer so you do need an OS such as Windows or MacOS.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan


Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 29069 [1], given: 5264

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 15865

Kudos [?]: 29069 [0], given: 5264

Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
MBA Laptop 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 09:11
There are some good deals on the Dell laptops in the Microsoft Store as a part of their Holiday Sale
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msu ... A9_DellDay
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan


Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 29069 [0], given: 5264

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2015
Posts: 7

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: Wharton '18 (A)
Re: MBA Laptop 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 00:39
bb wrote:
StudentFromMoscow wrote:
I decided to buy ThinkPad Yoga 12 Ultrabook with i7 and 512Gb SSD. Since Lenovo is a corporate standard in MBB consulting, hope it will be enough for MBA studies. Also excited about Digitizer Pen - should be convenient thing.



Should be a good choice.
I would recommend anything light with good battery life (you will be lugging it around quite a bit) and with books and other items it will be a heavy load.
SSD is great as it helps to reduce weight, noise, energy consumption, and potential data loss from physical abuse (though SSD's did (still do?) have a known service limit that is lower than disk-drives resulting into serious data loss, often very suddenly). Thus a backup solution that runs in the background is highly recommended. There are lots of options and many are free for the first few Gigs. Mozy has something and so does Carbonite, etc. I run mine 2x day and it is pretty quick saving docs/etc. You can also work in the Dropbox folder and that saves your changes automatically.

P.S. I do not recommend Chromebooks as you will have Excel and other applications to run on the computer so you do need an OS such as Windows or MacOS.


Agreed that you probably don't want to get a Chromebook. You can't really run full apps on them, they seem more for lighter usage, such as internet browsing, etc.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 27

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 8

Schools: Foster '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
Re: MBA Laptop 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2016, 07:49
1
This post received
KUDOS
Just started looking to a new laptop for the fall--currently leaning towards a Mac. It looks like Apple is planning to update their line of laptops later this spring--i'm wondering if the current line up (as of today) would be good enough to handle bschool straining tasks or if the newer/faster chips will be that much of a difference for me? Currently looking at the MBP i5 256mb SSD or MB Air spec'd the same...

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 8

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2015
Posts: 43

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 0

Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.22
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: MBA Laptop 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 17:05
1
This post received
KUDOS
In the same boat. I am sure they will put something out as the new skylake chips are expected to make most improvements in the battery life segment. These chips are already in windows laptops since the end of the last year. I am looking at the Dell XPS 13 as it has a 13" screen but with such small bezels, is smaller than a MacBook air. The only thing I am waiting for to see from Apple is if the MacBook air would get a screen resolution upgrade because the screens they use now are terrible. Otherwise I would go for the 13" macbook pro with retina display. The 15" lets you get discrete graphics but you don't need that unless you plan do some serious video editing. But as for the Macs available now, they can handle everything for business school right now, no problem. Again, the changes won't be so much power as it is with better batterylife or maybe a slightly new design with some new ports like the USB C but that doesn't matter much for business school. I am also looking at the Razer Blade Stealth which has an incredible screen as well.

davoo wrote:
Just started looking to a new laptop for the fall--currently leaning towards a Mac. It looks like Apple is planning to update their line of laptops later this spring--i'm wondering if the current line up (as of today) would be good enough to handle bschool straining tasks or if the newer/faster chips will be that much of a difference for me? Currently looking at the MBP i5 256mb SSD or MB Air spec'd the same...

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 0

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 27

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 8

Schools: Foster '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
Re: MBA Laptop 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 08:37
ltsocal wrote:
In the same boat. I am sure they will put something out as the new skylake chips are expected to make most improvements in the battery life segment. These chips are already in windows laptops since the end of the last year. I am looking at the Dell XPS 13 as it has a 13" screen but with such small bezels, is smaller than a MacBook air. The only thing I am waiting for to see from Apple is if the MacBook air would get a screen resolution upgrade because the screens they use now are terrible. Otherwise I would go for the 13" macbook pro with retina display. The 15" lets you get discrete graphics but you don't need that unless you plan do some serious video editing. But as for the Macs available now, they can handle everything for business school right now, no problem. Again, the changes won't be so much power as it is with better batterylife or maybe a slightly new design with some new ports like the USB C but that doesn't matter much for business school. I am also looking at the Razer Blade Stealth which has an incredible screen as well.

davoo wrote:
Just started looking to a new laptop for the fall--currently leaning towards a Mac. It looks like Apple is planning to update their line of laptops later this spring--i'm wondering if the current line up (as of today) would be good enough to handle bschool straining tasks or if the newer/faster chips will be that much of a difference for me? Currently looking at the MBP i5 256mb SSD or MB Air spec'd the same...



The rumors have it the MBP's bezels are getting smaller bringing the screen size to 14 and 16"--all the while keeping the same physical size. Again, rumors so who knows if this is true. Yea, the crap screen on the Air is putting me off at the moment but is the price of the pro worth the retina-premium, especially for business school...once the new lineups come out, i'll have to play around, compare and make a decision. The XPS keeps catching my eyes too--luckily I have some time to think and decide...

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 8

Chat Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2013
Posts: 687

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 537

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: MBA Laptop 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 12:02
Great discussions guys!!! It seems the greatest considerations must be being light and having a good battery life.
_________________

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 537

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 15865

Kudos [?]: 29069 [1], given: 5264

Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
MBA Laptop 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 21:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The Microsoft Surface book seemed to be pretty impressive!
The keyboard has an additional battery built into it, making the battery life something like 14 hrs.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msu ... .325716000
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan


Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 29069 [1], given: 5264

Chat Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2013
Posts: 687

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 537

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: MBA Laptop 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2016, 08:00
bb wrote:
The Microsoft Surface book seemed to be pretty impressive!
The keyboard has an additional battery built into it, making the battery life something like 14 hrs.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msu ... .325716000



Price is pretty impressive as well! :-D
_________________

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 537

Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2676

Kudos [?]: 1770 [0], given: 794

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: MBA Laptop 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2016, 19:11
Ergenekon wrote:
Great discussions guys!!! It seems the greatest considerations must be being light and having a good battery life.


Makes sense as you will be hauling your laptop everywhere with you and as such you dont want a bulky one. At the same time battery also becomes an important consideration as you will be engaged in discussions, team meetings, class participations wherein you wont remember to charge your laptop. You wouldnt want to have your laptop shut down due to low battery in the middle of a presentation 8-)

Kudos [?]: 1770 [0], given: 794

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2015
Posts: 24

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
WE: Research (Investment Banking)
Re: MBA Laptop 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 08:39
bb wrote:
The Microsoft Surface book seemed to be pretty impressive!
The keyboard has an additional battery built into it, making the battery life something like 14 hrs.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msu ... .325716000


Yup! MS Surface is what has caught my eye as well lol. If all goes according to plan, that's what I'll be buying.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Current Student
User avatar
Status: 1st year @ Goizueta
Joined: 05 Nov 2015
Posts: 73

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 15

Location: United States (PA)
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE: Business Development (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Re: MBA Laptop 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 09:49
I've been looking into potential laptops and I have been eyeing the Lenovo X1 Carbon http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x1-carbon/. Lightweight, powerful, strong corporate brand. Slightly higher price point than the MS Surface, but I tend to trust Lenovo hardware a bit more than Microsoft.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 15

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 May 2015
Posts: 64

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 117

GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.72
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: MBA Laptop 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 00:26
For me its a battle between the Thinkpad Yoga 12 and the Surface... But most likely the Surface wins it!

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 117

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 13

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA Laptop 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 07:52
I use to have a windows laptop until Windows 8 came out. The bugs and glitches drove me insane so I switched to a macbook pro. The laptops are light, have a great battery life, and last forever. I would personally get one of these because the price ends up meeting the quality. You don't need the best processor the macbook air would meet the potential and benefits if going to school for an MBA.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Mar 2014
Posts: 58

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Schools: Darden '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Re: MBA Laptop 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 07:07
Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon (4th gen) was already mentioned and it is impressive. What is more impressive is X1 Yoga. Basically a Carbon with a fully rotating touch screen and a stylus. It is roughly 250 bucks pricier for the same configuration. Both have 1.2 kgs weight and 8-9hrs of battery life, which tick the boxes. I'll decide btw the two.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 15865

Kudos [?]: 29069 [0], given: 5264

Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
MBA Laptop 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2016, 16:43
I guess there will be back to school sales closer to Aug/Sept. Apple usually has theirs start in July.
I am in the market at the moment for a laptop for a college student - so something less fancy than what MBA folks would want/need and perhaps something lighter as well. Anyone has any suggestions? Something less than $1K for a Macbook or $1,300 for surface or X1?

P.S. Wife has had Asus laptops/netbooks for the last 8 years and they have served her well but she does not do a whole lot with them - they just sit on the kitchen counter turned on all day long without much action. Each has worked 4 years without giving up or dying, which is a better track record than what I have had with Dell (3.5 years for their Lattitudes)
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan


Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 29069 [0], given: 5264

MBA Laptop 2016   [#permalink] 11 May 2016, 16:43

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

MBA Laptop 2016

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.