Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 2.1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Re: MBA placements at IE? [#permalink]
ramalo wrote:
Thank you so much for the reply. I had a feeling the situation was bad. Any clue about IESE?

Same boat. The story is same in every EU school. Schools in spain like IE, IESE, EsADE etc are the worst affected.
The ones I think are doing better are INSEAD and LBS. But this is mostly i have read around the nets. I have no numbers to back this perception up.

However, again the situation is bad if you only want a EU job. The chances are much better if you are wiling to work in other locations.
Finally, I know 3 IE alums. All 3 are back in India working here as they didnt get a job in EU.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
rishavs wrote:
ramalo wrote:
Thank you so much for the reply. I had a feeling the situation was bad. Any clue about IESE?

Same boat. The story is same in every EU school. Schools in spain like IE, IESE, EsADE etc are the worst affected.
The ones I think are doing better are INSEAD and LBS. But this is mostly i have read around the nets. I have no numbers to back this perception up.

However, again the situation is bad if you only want a EU job. The chances are much better if you are wiling to work in other locations.
Finally, I know 3 IE alums. All 3 are back in India working here as they didnt get a job in EU.

Hmm ya I've read similar posts online from other people as well. Clearly not the wisest decision to go to Spain in the current scenario.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
ramalo wrote:
Hmm ya I've read similar posts online from other people as well. Clearly not the wisest decision to go to Spain in the current scenario.
Thanks

You have to understand that it is not just the world economy, the EU economy and even the Spanish economy at fault in here. Indian aspirants just have a much tougher time all over right now. I have heard of many graduates even from the US colleges returning to India.

So in the end, you have really focus on what you want out of an MBA. being able to live in a developing country can no longer be the prime outcome of an IMBA right now. Personally, if given the chance, I will be taking the IE degree mainly because of the quality of education. It was and still is my first choice among all EU schools.

Finally things being tougher doesn't guarantees that you will NOT get a job in EU. You will have to network better, focus specific companies the moment you land in Madrid and make sure your IE year doesn't end up being a vacation. ie, dont think "I'll think up where I want to work towards the end of my education". Have a vision, strategize all steps towards it before you even start your MBA and the whole duration of your MBA must consist of tactical moves towards the realization of each "step".

Hope my post helped.

PS. things are actually improving in EU even as we speak. Some months ago, France simplified a lot of its visa restrictions meaning that its much easier to get a job in France as a MBA graduate. If entrepreneurship if your focus, the Nordic countries are comparatively better placed too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
rishavs wrote:
ramalo wrote:
Thanks

You have to understand that it is not just the world economy, the EU economy and even the Spanish economy at fault in here. Indian aspirants just have a much tougher time all over right now. I have heard of many graduates even from the US colleges returning to India.

So in the end, you have really focus on what you want out of an MBA. being able to live in a developing country can no longer be the prime outcome of an IMBA right now. Personally, if given the chance, I will be taking the IE degree mainly because of the quality of education. It was and still is my first choice among all EU schools.

Finally things being tougher doesn't guarantees that you will NOT get a job in EU. You will have to network better, focus specific companies the moment you land in Madrid and make sure your IE year doesn't end up being a vacation. ie, dont think "I'll think up where I want to work towards the end of my education". Have a vision, strategize all steps towards it before you even start your MBA and the whole duration of your MBA must consist of tactical moves towards the realization of each "step".

Hope my post helped.

PS. things are actually improving in EU even as we speak. Some months ago, France simplified a lot of its visa restrictions meaning that its much easier to get a job in France as a MBA graduate. If entrepreneurship if your focus, the Nordic countries are comparatively better placed too.

Firstly ur posts have been really helpful so thanks alot.

My prime reason for pursuing an MBA is to change careers. I've been working in Business development and Strategy for a diversified firm with interests in Power, education and textile for 4+ years now. I am really keen on getting into strategy consulting. A major consideration for me is that I want to work/earn abroad for atleast 3 years post my MBA in order to recover costs etc. Otherwise it doesn't make too much sense for me to be spending all that money if I come back immediately after my MBA. I graduated from a university in UK but had to come back because of personal reasons right after graduation. Its something I really regret. Anyway I don't want to make the same mistake.

So I'm definitely looking at the post mba work situation in different countries. Europe is obviously the hardest. US is difficult but definitely easier than Europe. Singapore I feel will be ideal as it has some good business schools (NUS, NANYANG, INSEAD) plus the post mba work requirements I think are easier.

Whats ur profile if u dont mind me asking
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Interesting thread. Has anyone heard anything about placements for EU citizens? Obviously the EU economy is still recovering but for those of us lucky enough not to need visas / sponsorship how is the placement at IE?

I feel like career reports never tell the full story but I'm assuming IE has pretty good placements for EU citizens.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Well looking at the geographical statistics on the placement report (refer to page 15 of ie international placement report of 2013.

The picture that a prospective IE MBA takes is very dark to say the least, as an international student like me, you should be worried also when you see that 89% of the African MBA graduates are back in Africa after completing their MBA, same goes for Europe (Non EU) 85%, Asia 81%, Latin America 78%).

I had a recent discussion with an IE marketing person, who is also an Alumni of IE MBA, he could not satisfy me to say the least, according to him, most of the people that come to do the MBA are either company sponsored or Government scholarships, and after graduation they are bound to return to their home country.

I was just wondering if other schools, like INSEAD , IMD or Booth etc publish reports like this => percentage of people who have returned to their home country after graduation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Bookmarks
khobeb wrote:
Well looking at the geographical statistics on the placement report (refer to page 15 of ie international placement report of 2013.

The picture that a prospective IE MBA takes is very dark to say the least, as an international student like me, you should be worried also when you see that 89% of the African MBA graduates are back in Africa after completing their MBA, same goes for Europe (Non EU) 85%, Asia 81%, Latin America 78%).

I had a recent discussion with an IE marketing person, who is also an Alumni of IE MBA, he could not satisfy me to say the least, according to him, most of the people that come to do the MBA are either company sponsored or Government scholarships, and after graduation they are bound to return to their home country.

I was just wondering if other schools, like INSEAD , IMD or Booth etc publish reports like this => percentage of people who have returned to their home country after graduation.

Hmm, yeah those aren't very encouraging. I wonder if that's also a function of the economies and not just the school though. The UK, for example, is becoming very strict on handing out visas so I think grads from any of the top MBAs would find it difficult to get placed in the UK. That being said, those numbers you quote from IE are still worrying. It's also worth noting that the trend from the 2011-2012 report to the 2012-2013 report is positive so they're getting better.

Unfortunately, I don't think I've seen other schools post these stats except for IESE. Their stats are a bit better:

% of students changing country (per 2014 career report)
Asia: 10%
Lat Am: 48%
Mid East: 50%
Spain: 36%
USA: 56%
West. EU: 59%
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Interesting thread indeed.
I am considering to apply for the April 2015 intake...

Given the price tag of the program I am really trying to gather whether it's worth going through with such an MBA.

Being a European myself I would assume that most people don't want to change the continent (maybe the country - but stay within the EU). This might be different for Indians or Africans - but at least for Europeans I would doubt that most of them want to change.

nevertheless... I am really doubting that the income increase can really make up for 60.000 EUR tuition...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
WE:Project Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM