GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 13:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
MBA Section Director
User avatar
D
Status: Back to work...
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Posts: 5584
Location: India
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 04:19
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 1456
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 04:25
3
Texas is very interested in hearing about your specific plan when you're in business school because they don't really have a huge Core Curriculum and there's not a lot in place to make sure you maximize your time there... so you need to have a clear intention. If you don't have that I would recommend that you submit an update letter clarifying your intentions and your vision and also to make it a little bit more substitutive maybe do MBA math or something that's going to look like a obvious reason for an update letter. If you have something like a promotion, a job title change ( sometimes easy to negotiate) some type of upgrade in a community position you have these are all good candidates.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com
_________________

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Nov 2016
Posts: 83
Location: United States (CO)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.1
Re: McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 10:12
Does anyone know when do schools review their waitlists? I know it says on the FAQ that they would review waitlist on a rolling basis but it seems like most people who got accepted from waitlist in May or June. It surely looks like they review the waitlist after all rounds to fill vacant seats.
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 1456
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 03:19
1
happens in 2 ways

one, yes, after all rounds are complete and all the people who were given admits have declared intent not to occupy seats, so they have a sense of yield etc.

that's common outside top 10, maybe 15

within top 10, it happens after each round decision date... that is, those WL in R1 can receive a decision along with R2 results.. so on


http://MBAPrepCoach.com
_________________

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Nov 2016
Posts: 83
Location: United States (CO)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.1
Re: McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 07:29
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
happens in 2 ways

one, yes, after all rounds are complete and all the people who were given admits have declared intent not to occupy seats, so they have a sense of yield etc.

that's common outside top 10, maybe 15

within top 10, it happens after each round decision date... that is, those WL in R1 can receive a decision along with R2 results.. so on


http://MBAPrepCoach.com

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 10
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GPA: 3.5
Re: McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 10:26
How many R1 people here are holding out for the UT waitlist? I contacted the student I interviewed with and he said not to lose hope as many fellow classmates were admitted off the waitlist, although likely won't hear back until summertime.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Nov 2016
Posts: 83
Location: United States (CO)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.1
Re: McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 11:58
I will ride it till the end but wouldn't bet my life on it
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Posts: 41
Location: United States (IA)
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Re: McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 13:06
Hey all - I’m a R2 waitlister here. Has anyone received any communication updates from the adcom yet and do we expect the first wave of waitlist admits will hit in late April after the R2 deposit deadline?


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 318
Location: Canada
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge
Re: McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 19:07
slipmeone wrote:
Hey all - I’m a R2 waitlister here. Has anyone received any communication updates from the adcom yet and do we expect the first wave of waitlist admits will hit in late April after the R2 deposit deadline?


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum




So even with Tepper in your basket, you are waiting for McCombs?
I have both the admits and still contemplating which one to go to.

What are the positives and negatives of each school, in your opinion?
I am not asking for career perspective or location or fit thing. I am asking what you think makes a school better than the other or worse?
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Posts: 41
Location: United States (IA)
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Re: McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 13:21
hiren2011 wrote:
slipmeone wrote:
Hey all - I’m a R2 waitlister here. Has anyone received any communication updates from the adcom yet and do we expect the first wave of waitlist admits will hit in late April after the R2 deposit deadline?


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum




So even with Tepper in your basket, you are waiting for McCombs?
I have both the admits and still contemplating which one to go to.

What are the positives and negatives of each school, in your opinion?
I am not asking for career perspective or location or fit thing. I am asking what you think makes a school better than the other or worse?


You didn't really answer my question. This is a waitlist thread so I was hoping to spark some waitlist insights.

McCombs is my dream school for a number of reasons (which I could get into if you want to PM me) but mainly it is because of my fit with the program. I agree that both Tepper and McCombs are closely related and either is a great option in my books.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Nov 2016
Posts: 83
Location: United States (CO)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.1
Re: McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 13:36
1
I received an email today saying that Round 3 deposit deadline is 5/15 and we may hear from the committee at any time. Decision can be released as long as mid to late June and into summer months.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 10
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GPA: 3.5
Re: McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 13:38
I applied R1 and have been on WL since December. Correspondence has been minimal although but you are free to e-mail ADCOM at your judgment and send in updates as you see fit. I did actually just receive the below e-mail from McCombs:


Thank you for your continued interest in the Texas MBA Program. We appreciate your patience throughout the waitlist process.

This has been quite an admissions season for those interested in the Texas MBA program. While we are still working on building our Class of 2020, we thought we would share an update on where we are in the process. We are currently in Round Three, for which the deposit deadline is May 17th. It is possible for you to hear from the Admissions Committee at any time. Waitlist decisions can be released as late as mid-to-late June and into the summer months. Due to the uncertain nature of the waitlist, your continued patience in the coming weeks and months is greatly appreciated.
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 318
Location: Canada
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge
Re: McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 18:58
slipmeone wrote:
hiren2011 wrote:
slipmeone wrote:
Hey all - I’m a R2 waitlister here. Has anyone received any communication updates from the adcom yet and do we expect the first wave of waitlist admits will hit in late April after the R2 deposit deadline?


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum




So even with Tepper in your basket, you are waiting for McCombs?
I have both the admits and still contemplating which one to go to.

What are the positives and negatives of each school, in your opinion?
I am not asking for career perspective or location or fit thing. I am asking what you think makes a school better than the other or worse?


You didn't really answer my question. This is a waitlist thread so I was hoping to spark some waitlist insights.

McCombs is my dream school for a number of reasons (which I could get into if you want to PM me) but mainly it is because of my fit with the program. I agree that both Tepper and McCombs are closely related and either is a great option in my books.



I didn't intend to make you feel that I didn't answer your question. But I have no answer for that I haven't applied there.
But I guess it will be pretty soon. For internationals, it gets a bit dicey. But if you are in the US - citizen or permanent resident, it may take some time - if the school chooses to.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jan 2018
Posts: 31
Re: McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 09:44
Well this is strange.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Nov 2016
Posts: 83
Location: United States (CO)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.1
Re: McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 09:46
Guess we will have to wait until the deposit deadline for the last round to hear back
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jan 2018
Posts: 31
Re: McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 12:23
Did McCombs allow waitlist applicants to submit a letter of interest or updates last year without being asked to do so? Seems counterintuitive sending an email to "gauge interest" before offering admission.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 10
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GPA: 3.5
Re: McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 12:36
Not sure about your first question but in regards to the second, it seems that they gauge interest before offering admission to those on waitlist because they want to keep their matriculation rate / acceptance yield high. Some of us (myself included) have been waitlisted since December and obviously people's priorities can change in 5 months.. some may have already committed elsewhere but others still ready to accept a McCombs offer.

The waitlist has been the utmost test of patience, but I am still hoping for some closure in mid May.. good luck to everyone else waiting!
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Nov 2016
Posts: 83
Location: United States (CO)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.1
Re: McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 14:13
there is a portal where you can upload new files
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2014
Posts: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.37
Re: McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2018, 11:02
Any1 heard anything from ad-com or heard some1 else hearing something back from them?
Given, the round 2 deposit & r3 application deadlines have passed I was expecting some movement in the WL pool :roll:
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Posts: 41
Location: United States (IA)
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Re: McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2018, 11:31
stryker79 wrote:
Did McCombs allow waitlist applicants to submit a letter of interest or updates last year without being asked to do so? Seems counterintuitive sending an email to "gauge interest" before offering admission.


Yeah, I agree that it is counterintuitive for McCombs to send out an email gauging all the waitlist candidates' interest, since presumably that is what the "letter of interest" supplemental material portal is for.

My understanding is that this is the first year in recent seasons that McCombs has allowed for a supplemental waitlist material portal. 2 years ago you had to email all waitlist updates to the adcom. So it is possible that this update request is just a carry over from previous practices.

I also find it interesting that 9 applicants had been admitted off the waitlist by May 1st during the 2017 cycle (according to Clear Admit and GMAT Club), however May 10th was the earliest waitlist admit during the 2016 cycle. See screenshot.
Attachments

Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 1.26.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 1.26.17 PM.png [ 31.75 KiB | Viewed 4173 times ]

Re: McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020! &nbs [#permalink] 04 May 2018, 11:31

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 98 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020!

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.