GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 19:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
MBA Section Director
User avatar
D
Status: Back to work...
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Posts: 5295
Location: India
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2016, 05:07
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2016
Posts: 20
Location: Singapore
GPA: 3
Re: McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2016, 23:38
No one post here yet, while I start first.

For waitlisted applicant, does improve GMAT score really contribute a lot if the score (current) is below average?
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Jul 2015
Posts: 169
Re: McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2016, 00:17
beckseven7 wrote:
No one post here yet, while I start first.

For waitlisted applicant, does improve GMAT score really contribute a lot if the score (current) is below average?


Yes GMAT score improvement is considered a big plus point for the waitlisted application.
Also, Any significant improvement in your profile such as promotion also adds lot of weight
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2016
Posts: 20
Location: Singapore
GPA: 3
Re: McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2016, 00:51
ss20tali wrote:
beckseven7 wrote:
No one post here yet, while I start first.

For waitlisted applicant, does improve GMAT score really contribute a lot if the score (current) is below average?


Yes GMAT score improvement is considered a big plus point for the waitlisted application.
Also, Any significant improvement in your profile such as promotion also adds lot of weight


Thanks! Are you admitted or a current student of McCombs?
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Jul 2015
Posts: 169
Re: McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2016, 01:23
beckseven7 wrote:
ss20tali wrote:
beckseven7 wrote:
No one post here yet, while I start first.

For waitlisted applicant, does improve GMAT score really contribute a lot if the score (current) is below average?


Yes GMAT score improvement is considered a big plus point for the waitlisted application.
Also, Any significant improvement in your profile such as promotion also adds lot of weight


Thanks! Are you admitted or a current student of McCombs?


Admitted student!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2016
Posts: 4
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.91
Re: McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2016, 01:53
Do waitlisted candidates stand a chance to get Scholarship, if they get admitted?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2016
Posts: 3
Location: Brazil
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.7
Re: McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2016, 09:14
Hey guys,

Also waitlisted with interview. Do you think sending a new recommendation letter is important?
MBA Section Director
User avatar
D
Status: Back to work...
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Posts: 5295
Location: India
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2017, 23:16

How to Get Off the MBA Waitlist - YouTube Live by GMAT Club and Personal MBA Coach.



Dear Waitlisted Applicants,
You put a lot of time and effort into your MBA applications and, after months of hard work, you’re…waiting. It’s ok to scream into a pillow or go to town on a punching bag. It’s frustrating! But after you do, sign up for this youtube live session hosted by Scott Edinburgh, Founder of Personal MBA Coach. He'll talk about the process, the stats, do's and don'ts, and what has worked for his clients in the past. He'll wrap everything up with a live Q&A session. You don't want to miss this!


About Scott Edinburgh

A Wharton MBA graduate with a BS from MIT, Scott has been an MBA admissions consultant for eight years and has helped hundreds of applicants around the world get into top MBA programs. Besides perfecting the MBA admissions process and making dreams come true for applicants from Tokyo to San Francisco and everywhere in between, he has also worked across consulting, financial services and strategy & corporate development roles before becoming a Full-Time admissions consultant. He ran Global Strategy / Corporate Development as a Director of a 700 person leading independent publishing company. He also worked for InterContinental Hotels Group in Global Strategy, as well as JP Morgan and Deloitte Consulting in Mergers & Acquisitions. His experience in many of the jobs applicants have today or hope to obtain post-MBA helps him advise them on the best ways to not only get into their top choice schools, but position themselves for their dream jobs.

As an individual MBA admissions consultant, he takes the time to get to know every client personally as they go through the journey together. This starts with a deep analysis into applicant's background, an identification of his/her objectives and a thorough development of personal story. His no BS approach ensures that nothing falls through the cracks and his feedback is honest, non-sugar coated and immediate. He push his clients very hard and the work pays off. 96% of his clients got into one of their top two or three schools. He works with applicants applying to full-time MBA programs as well as Executive and part-time MBA programs.


Date and Time:

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM Pacific Time (4 PM GMT; 9:30 PM India; 12 AM Singapore)

Joining Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr-wDgaTpMU

Add this event to your Google calendar




Image
_________________

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]


Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Mar 2017
Posts: 4
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V41
GPA: 3.4
Re: McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 08:09
Has anyone heard back re: waitlist?
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 318
Location: Canada
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge
Re: McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 08:44
feministfightclub wrote:
Has anyone heard back re: waitlist?


Well, personally I think it is almost impossible this year to get off the WL.
Reasons I see this years are:
- High application numbers, with unchanged seats for the coveted places
- Higher scores and people wanting to go to top locations only (which increases the yield)
- Higher focus on earlier rounds (most important reason) that allows AdCom to judge yield earlier in the game and admits are sent out accordingly in the later rounds, reducing probability even more for the Wait Listers
- Number of average schools students are applying is getting down too - reducing chances of vacant seat from an admit (this is very low effect, but it is there).

This is not to discourage you. I am also a wait lister. But I am coming to peace with it.
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 318
Location: Canada
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge
Re: McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 08:44
feministfightclub wrote:
Has anyone heard back re: waitlist?


Well, personally I think it is almost impossible this year to get off the WL.
Reasons I see this years are:
- High application numbers, with unchanged seats for the coveted places
- Higher scores and people wanting to go to top locations only (which increases the yield)
- Higher focus on earlier rounds (most important reason) that allows AdCom to judge yield earlier in the game and admits are sent out accordingly in the later rounds, reducing probability even more for the Wait Listers
- Number of average schools students are applying is getting down too - reducing chances of vacant seat from an admit (this is very low effect, but it is there).

This is not to discourage you. I am also a wait lister. But I am coming to peace with it.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2014
Posts: 5
McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 19:55
Has anybody heard back from the school ?i am round 1 waitlist... I got an email which says thank you for your continued patience .. does it mean am waitlisted again?
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 318
Location: Canada
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge
Re: McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 08:44
shree007 wrote:
Has anybody heard back from the school ?i am round 1 waitlist... I got an email which says thank you for your continued patience .. does it mean am waitlisted again?



What is your profile?
What did you do to strengthen your candidacy after interview and after you were notified of wait-list decision?

A lot depends on that, in my opinion.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2016
Posts: 4
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.91
Re: McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 02:14
shree007 wrote:
Has anybody heard back from the school ?i am round 1 waitlist... I got an email which says thank you for your continued patience .. does it mean am waitlisted again?


Even I got the same mail... Most probably, we are waitlisted again. It will be clear within 24 hrs
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2014
Posts: 5
Re: McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 19:02
Did anyone get any email?

My portal has not been updated.
Does it mean am still waitlisted?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Jan 2017
Posts: 21
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.39
Re: McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 09:40
Does anyone have experience with getting several Letters of Support and if that will significantly shift your position on the waitlist? I have several current students, recently graduated alumni, and older alumni to contact about this matter. Also, I'm curious if anyone here has gotten off the waitlist, what the time table was like, and any advice that he or she might have?
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 318
Location: Canada
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge
Re: McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 22:38
FreshlySnipes wrote:
Does anyone have experience with getting several Letters of Support and if that will significantly shift your position on the waitlist? I have several current students, recently graduated alumni, and older alumni to contact about this matter. Also, I'm curious if anyone here has gotten off the waitlist, what the time table was like, and any advice that he or she might have?


As long as they say different things. You don't want many letters saying the same thing.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2016
Posts: 24
Re: McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 19:43
I have been Waitlisted since R1, Still waiting to hear something. Did none of the waitlisted hear any decisions yet?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2017
Posts: 2
Re: McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 12:30
McCombs waitlist is a bit of a black box and if you ask MAC (McCombs Admissions Committee) about the process, they won't be able to tell you much. These are a few things they would tell you if you asked...

MAC wants a "holistic" incoming class so if they identify gaps in the class (e.g. need international student, need students with X pre-MBA experience, need student with X concentration interest, etc.) they will start pulling from the waitlist.
MAC reviews ALL waitlist applicants together (meaning you have no advantage to being on waitlist from Rd 1)
MAC is unsure when they'll start reviewing the waitlist (could be as soon as post-Rd 2 deposit deadline (April 27th) or as late as post-Round 3 decision deadline (May 18th))
MAC will notify applicants off waitlist on an "as-needed" basis
Spots can open off the waitlist as late as early August...
Continue to be patient if you really want to go to McCombs!
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 318
Location: Canada
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge
Re: McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 14:02
Applicant2017 wrote:
McCombs waitlist is a bit of a black box and if you ask MAC (McCombs Admissions Committee) about the process, they won't be able to tell you much. These are a few things they would tell you if you asked...

MAC wants a "holistic" incoming class so if they identify gaps in the class (e.g. need international student, need students with X pre-MBA experience, need student with X concentration interest, etc.) they will start pulling from the waitlist.
MAC reviews ALL waitlist applicants together (meaning you have no advantage to being on waitlist from Rd 1)
MAC is unsure when they'll start reviewing the waitlist (could be as soon as post-Rd 2 deposit deadline (April 27th) or as late as post-Round 3 decision deadline (May 18th))
MAC will notify applicants off waitlist on an "as-needed" basis
Spots can open off the waitlist as late as early August...
Continue to be patient if you really want to go to McCombs!




In general, how different it is from any other reputed school?
All says pretty much the same anyway. And it is a (at the least partial) fact that they want diverse class.

I so much wish they had a deadline of clearing up the waitlist. August, as if we are all waiting without booking housing and all. Add that not all schools start at the same time.
One may think, either it is to maximize their profits and/or protect their 'sacrosanct' stats. But that puts a lot of pressure on students.

And I am sure, it is this pressure that is the reasons of these posts! ahhaaa..

Anyway, be positive, define deadline for yourself if the university doesn't have it and define your priorities - first / second or even thrird option too.
Re: McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!! &nbs [#permalink] 18 Apr 2017, 14:02

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

McCombs Class of 2019: Calling all Waitlisted Students!!

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.