It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 21:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MS/MSC/MIM or MBA??

new topic post reply Update application status  
Director
Director
G
Premium Member CAT Tests
MS/MSC/MIM or MBA?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 08:02
Hello experts

I have been researching various websites to understand the path which is right for me.
I completed BA Marketing and Advertising from Lancaster University in 2014 with a first class honors. I am currently working. Also I will be appearing for GMAT in March.

I want to continue my education in marketing and its related fields but should I go for an MBA or other masters options that are available as I have 2 years of work experience? Will it be a good option to go for marketing analytics instead of an MBA? What are the job prospects for Msc students?

Your advice would be great.
Looking forward to your reply.

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: MS/MSC/MIM or MBA?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 10:11
Shiv2016 wrote:
Hello experts

I have been researching various websites to understand the path which is right for me.
I completed BA Marketing and Advertising from Lancaster University in 2014 with a first class honors. I am currently working. Also I will be appearing for GMAT in March.

I want to continue my education in marketing and its related fields but should I go for an MBA or other masters options that are available as I have 2 years of work experience? Will it be a good option to go for marketing analytics instead of an MBA? What are the job prospects for Msc students?

Shiv,

Thank you for your post. This is a question I help applicants regularly figure out. The first thing to look at would be what kind of masters program you are looking for. If you are considering marketing or marketing analytics, you may be somewhat limited depending on your background and stats. There are many more MBA programs than masters in marketing at top schools. The next thing to consider is your ideal career plan. If you want help thinking through that, we can help! For instance a masters in marketing makes sense for someone who really wants to focus in on marketing expertise and rise through a more narrow path. The MBA would teach you all of the marketing you need to succeed in most companies but also advanced leadership skills to help you assume higher level roles in an organization.

Feel free to contact me to discuss further www.personalmbacoach.com or send me your resume scott@personalmbacoach.com and I can give you more advice on whether the marketing masters or the MBA makes more sense for you.

Good luck!

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 19:45
What are your short term and long term goals. Depending on your development goals I can suggest the programs that make the most sense for you. But as stated above there are far more MBA programs than marketing analytics programs to choose from.

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 23:54
Shiv2016 wrote:
Hello experts

Hi Shiv,

I'd ask you to make a list of the roles you desire in the next 3-5 years and evaluate the skills these roles will require. MAke a decision based on that. For instance, do you want to get into marketing analytics as a key career choice? Or would you be happy studying analytics as an elective or perhaps a specialization in an MBA/ MS program?

An MS can help if you want to specialize only in a particular area, such as marketing. The same purpose can also be achieved through an MBA, but you will also study other business functions in more depth, not just all marketing. The broad skills gained from an MBA may be more beneficial from a recruiter's perspective, so consider that!

To bring clarity, I am posting links to the MS/ MBA programs offered at Columbia. Make a comparison:

http://www8.gsb.columbia.edu/programs/m ... quirements
http://www8.gsb.columbia.edu/programs/m ... a-schedule

To gain more clarity would be to look at your target programs career reports. You will get an idea about the type of companies that recruit and for what kind of roles.

There could be another consideration - MS programs are generally a year long as compared to MBAs which are spread over two years and therefore will give you more opportunities to find a job.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation click here

Director
Director
G
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2017, 23:05
Thanks for your reply.

I want to specialize in marketing and work in the strategy part of the whole marketing process (strategic marketing). For that, I need a course that is rich in marketing as well as combines analytics with the marketing concepts/theories.
As I do not have much work experience and it would be really hard to get into a good business school at the moment, I was looking for MIM and Msc options. Thus found NUS Msc+CEMS MIM program (http://mim.nus.edu/cems-mim/43-double-masters-cems-mim) that can provide me opportunities to work in the partner corporations.
1) What is your opinion about this course?
2) MIM programs differ with different universities such as some universities offer Msc under MIM and some offer both as dual degrees like NUS. Do you think this program would be a right option at this point in my career?

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 15:18
I think that would be a good program for you, especially if you are interested in staying in the region geographically. That said, I recommend applying to multiple programs. I do agree that if you want to go now, a specialized masters makes more sense than an MBA for you. Good luck and reach out to discuss further offline.

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Re: MS/MSC/MIM or MBA??   [#permalink] 03 Mar 2017, 15:18

MS/MSC/MIM or MBA??

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap