Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE:Business Development (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [4]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools: Oxford'17 (M)
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Re: Calling all Said (Oxford) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2018! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
If anyone is interested in becoming ThreadMaster for the Oxford MBA thread, please PM your request to me. Here you can learn more about duties and responsibilities of Threadmasters be-the-coolest-guy-in-the-mba-forum-be-a-threadmaster-152204.html
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Re: Calling all Said (Oxford) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2018! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Reserved Post.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Narenn wrote:
waldong Congrats on admit and wish you great time at Oxford! May I request you to tell us a bit about background, your application experience, and any tips for new applicants? Thank you!

Sure, my profile is:

Indian, Engineering Undergraduate, Total 7 years work experience (2 years in Mfg, 5 years in various startups), GMAT: 760, Extra Curricular: NA (only some college ones)

Choose your school wisely. Some pros of Oxford:
1. World renowned Brand Name
2. Larger Class Size (~ 320) as compared to other EU schools (except LBS and INSEAD), hence better networking support
3. Higher Work Exp of class (around 6 years), hence useful for those like me with a higher work exp
4. One year MBA program, hence better ROI
5. Job Prospects all over EU (Brexit will have some effect in this)
6. Very Good for: a) Career Enhancers b) Social Impact and related opportunities c) Entrepreneurship

Cons
1. Not that good for career changers (2 Yr MBA programs may offer better help in this)
2. Being a new MBA school, alumni base is not large (though you can dig into Oxford university alumni base as well, which is said to be very large and supportive)
3. Post MBA Employment will be lil tough, so be prepared for self networking and seeking job opportunities on your own

Evaluating Your profile:
You should definitely use Oxford Said's Profile evaluation service
https://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/programmes/degr ... eview-form
Also reach out to current and oxford said alums via linkedin etc. to know more about your fit
Visit school if you can.

Application:
It is a pretty standard MBA application, write your essays well, and answer all the in-application questions properly as well. (Why Oxford, career focus, your work exp. etc.)

If you get an interview invite, most of the questions will be based on essays and application questions.

Apply as early as possible, as scholarships and university accommodation gets filled pretty fast (I applied in R3, and got none :cry: )

Good Luck, happy to help further!

cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 91

Originally posted by 1MeowMeowMeow1 on 18 Jul 2016, 02:25.
Last edited by 1MeowMeowMeow1 on 12 May 2021, 02:47, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you, waldong! Does anyone know whether Oxford published essays topics for 2017?
Intern
Intern

Originally posted by 1MeowMeowMeow1 on 18 Jul 2016, 03:41.
Last edited by 1MeowMeowMeow1 on 12 May 2021, 02:47, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern

Originally posted by 1MeowMeowMeow1 on 18 Jul 2016, 03:46.
Last edited by 1MeowMeowMeow1 on 12 May 2021, 02:47, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
AM786 wrote:
Hi waldong,

I'd like to tap on your experience with "Profile Evaluation Service" by SBS. For the benefit of everyone, can you please share what is to be expected from it?

Is it more of a CV review? If yes, do they provide any feedback on what can be improve?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Cheers buddy.

Posted from my mobile device

I think the profile evaluation form returns an automated response with some logic, not very sure, do try out. I wrote to a Said MBA recruitment manager and got a personal response, and we exchanged a couple of emails over my fit and application queries.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Hi Narenn

Can you post here a detailed analysis of admission trends and acceptance chances at Oxford, similar to one you created for LBS.

The statistics would help the applicants to understand the real probability of their chances.
It would be a very important information to have on the thread. Thanks for creating the same for LBS.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi, I have a couple of doubts
Please advise .

1) The resume sample in the application looks quite mundane . Is it ok if i want to modify it to make it look aesthetically richer? or do i have to stick to the layout ?

2) i am not clear about the 1+1 MBA. Can anybody apply for it? How is the curriculum for the 2 years different if one does a masters first ; say in marketing and then an MBA in marketing again ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
shreyashid wrote:
Hi, I have a couple of doubts
Please advise .

1) The resume sample in the application looks quite mundane . Is it ok if i want to modify it to make it look aesthetically richer? or do i have to stick to the layout ?

2) i am not clear about the 1+1 MBA. Can anybody apply for it? How is the curriculum for the 2 years different if one does a masters first ; say in marketing and then an MBA in marketing again ?

ad 1) I kept it as it is, simply because it is a template they provide. If they want it like that, they'll get it like that.

ad 2) Anyone can apply. Since I won't apply for it, I don't have details on the exact structure though. Having said that, I read something about it in a Q&A somewhere recently. Just google it and ask them directly, if it is of interest for you.
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
jojojoseph wrote:
Hi Narenn

Can you post here a detailed analysis of admission trends and acceptance chances at Oxford, similar to one you created for LBS.

The statistics would help the applicants to understand the real probability of their chances.
It would be a very important information to have on the thread. Thanks for creating the same for LBS.

Thank you! I will work on it and try to post on this weekend. Just checked the data of Oxford applicants; The number of applicants is much lower than that of LBS, but we will see what insights we can get from this data.

On a separate note, I request all applicants to add Oxford Full time MBA program to your MBA timeline so that the applicant stats displayed on the first post reflect true picture of admissions. While adding the program, MAKE SURE you are setting it for graduation year i.e. 'Class of 2018'.

Attachment:
Oxford.png
Oxford.png [ 153.73 KiB | Viewed 26618 times ]
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
I am repeating this but if anyone is interested in becoming ThreadMaster for the Oxford MBA thread, please PM your request to me. Here you can learn more about duties and responsibilities of Threadmasters be-the-coolest-guy-in-the-mba-forum-be-a-threadmaster-152204.html
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [1]
Send PM