Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 11:00 It is currently 04 May 2024, 11:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2210 [10]
Given Kudos: 1665
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2210 [2]
Given Kudos: 1665
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Notes from an Elderly Man is a family history that dates from the earl [#permalink]
Got it wrong as a Chinese??‍♂️

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: Notes from an Elderly Man is a family history that dates from the earl [#permalink]
It is only me or did choice b feel like a trap to anyone else too?
Can anyone please give an explanation as to why b is chosen as the answer rather than c?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
Dear All

Greetings!
I would like to pick your brains.
What if the book mentioned an event that had occurred in year 1197?
If yes, then the book could very well been written after 1197 and we can actually negate the conclusion.

Argument says: Thus Notes from an Elderly Man must have been written between 1183 and 1195, given the assumption that.

Please let me know if I am missing something here.
Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Abhi077 wrote:
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

This is a fairly tricky question. The argument is that Notes from an Elderly Man was written between 1183 and 1195, based on the fact that the book mentions an event that happened in 1183, but doesn't mention one that happened in 1195. In other words, the claim is that the author must not have been aware of that event because it hadn't happened yet; otherwise he would have included it. Right there we have our prediction for the answer: the argument assumes that there is no other reason he did not include this date. What if, for example, he was a lazy historian or perhaps just didn't want to write about an event he did not approve of?
Choice (B) addresses this issue: if we assume that the author's goal was to write an accurate and complete account, then there would be no reason not to include the event from 1195, other than the fact that it hadn't happened yet.
Choices (A), (D), and (E) are diversions; they provide information that isn't crucial to the argument.
Choice (C) is very tempting, but there are plenty of books (historical fiction, for example) about distant time periods. The fact that the book does not mention an event after 1195 does not necessarily mean it was written before then. It could have been written by a historian concerned with the distant past who, for whatever reason, did not cover the coup that overthrew Hu Chen Quan.

Correct Answer choice is B

Hi ABHI,

Thank you for your explaination. However, i strongly feel there is a flaw in it.

Considering Option B is correct i've a question about your reasoning. " If the elderman wants to write about the complete history of a King then this history should also include the demise of that king, failure to mention that may not be right". Thus, I strongly option 2 is not a contender for this question.

Best Regards,
Pradeep.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
I agree, if the option is negated to state that 'the book DOES contain events that occurred after 1195", then the conclusion falls apart and there is no way for someone to have predicted those events in the future and written about them in the book (that seems like a far fetched reality). However, although option B when negated does seem to weaken the conclusion it may not always be the case, since even if the author did not intend to provide the most complete and accurate report of Hu Chen's life, then it is possible he may have missed out on some of the more trivial details of his life than the coup, which in that scenario does not weaken the conclusion.
Request for someone to clarify the same.
Bunuel ManhattanPrep egmat
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
If option C is negated to state that 'the book DOES contain events that occurred after 1195", then the conclusion falls apart and there is no way for someone to have predicted those events from beforehand in the future and written about them in the book (that seems like a far fetched reality). However, although option B when negated does seem to weaken the conclusion it may not always be the case, since even if the author did NOT intend to provide the most complete and accurate report of Hu Chen's life, then it is possible he may have missed out on some of the more trivial details of his life than the coup, which in that scenario does not weaken the conclusion.
Request a clarification on the same.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts