GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 27 Jan 2020, 09:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Notre Dame vs Rochester vs William and Mary: Rank or OPT extension?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Notre Dame vs Rochester vs William and Mary: Rank or OPT extension?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2019, 11:34
I am a CA and finance professional from India with over 5 years of consulting experience with BDO in tax and regulatory advisory services where I have provided advisory in relation to corporate restructuring exercises such as Merger and acquisitions. I have been offered admission from following MBA schools in US:

1) University of Notre Dame (Mendoza): US News rank 26 and has 1 yr OPT
2) University of Rochester (Simon): US News rank 40 and has STEM Designated extension of OPT for additional 2 years
3) College of William and Mary (Raymond Mason) - US News rank 54 and has STEM Designated extension of OPT for additional 2 years with Business Analytics concentration

Post MBA, I intend to join finance consulting practice of Big 4s or other mid size firms such as Gartner. My second preference would be to work in corporate finance profile. I am seeking guidance on which decision should I accept in this case. ROI, curriculum and learning experience is almost at par for all the schools. My key points of consideration and queries are the following:

1) To what extent does the rank of school matter from employment perspective? Does a higher ranked school with a better brand value preferred by employers over lower ranked schools? E.g. In my case, will Mendoza's reputation be useful in getting desired job in corporate finance/ consulting ? or are the other two universities equally accepted?
2) What is weighed more by employers - a higher rank or 3 years OPT? Particularly in my case, would it be worth to forgo higher rank of Mendoza as against 3 year OPT offered by other schools? I do not mind returning to India, but I hope to join and work at a top consulting firm before I go back.
3) Which school would have a better brand value in India or are consulting firms indifferent about it?

My personal inclination would be towards College of William and Mary since I found their alumni and admissions staff to be warm and welcoming. However, Mendoza's rank and brand is something that I cannot disregard.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Notre Dame vs Rochester vs William and Mary: Rank or OPT extension?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2019, 12:16
Mendoza without doubt

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
D
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Notre Dame vs Rochester vs William and Mary: Rank or OPT extension?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2019, 13:53
SVP
SVP
V
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus '21 (M$)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2019, 16:02
congrats for your admit.

Before going to far, may I know your GMAT score. Your goal with consulting finance demands high GMAT score.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2019, 19:18
Mo2men wrote:
congrats for your admit.

Before going to far, may I know your GMAT score. Your goal with consulting finance demands high GMAT score.

This is no longer true. I’ve checked with a number of people recruiting for consulting roles and they weren’t even asked for a GMAT score in their application or interview

V

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2019, 19:20
stonecold wrote:
Just FYI: You can convert your MBA into dual MBA+MS at Notre Dame to get STEM accreditation. Almost all international students end up doing that...

Does it have a cost? I know that a number of other MBA programs allow this but it often requires an extra year at school and $40,000 or $50,000.

I feel that the rank difference between these programs is insignificant. Simon is a very strong finance school. The only thing that somewhat concerns me about Simon is a very high percentage of international students in the past years. It results into a skewed class.

P
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2019, 19:21
stonecold wrote:
Just FYI: You can convert your MBA into dual MBA+MS at Notre Dame to get STEM accreditation. Almost all international students end up doing that...

stonecold

Can you tell me more about this? I recently heard from a friend that an MBA degree does not qualify for STEM and something on those lines for getting OPT.

Do you have a link to a thread/article that I can refer to? I can obviously do my research but since you have mentioned here so thought to ask.

P.S: I am currently on H1B.

Thank you!

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2019, 21:13
pareshbitm wrote:
Mendoza without doubt

Thanks. Can you elaborate? Are employers fine with not having OPT extension? I do not want to undertake dual degree especially in Business Analytics. It is out of my interest and scope.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2019, 21:18
bb wrote:
stonecold wrote:

Does it have a cost? I know that a number of other MBA programs allow this but it often requires an extra year at school and $40,000 or $50,000.

I feel that the rank difference between these programs is insignificant. Simon is a very strong finance school. The only thing that somewhat concerns me about Simon is a very high percentage of international students in the past years. It results into a skewed class.

Thanks for the guidance. Does it impact employment prospects? How do Big4 firms look at them? Notre Dame and William & Mary have a large difference in ranking. I don’t want to pursue dual degree in Notre Dame just for the sake of OPT since the MS programs such as Business Analytics are out of my interest and it does involve paying for an year.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2019, 21:19
Mo2men wrote:
congrats for your admit.

It is 700.

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2019, 00:06
You can find the companies recruiting on campus by speaking with the current students. Make sure to find out which of the big 4 recruit international applicants.

PS. For Simon a lot of the recruiting will be done by driving to New York. A lot of the grads will be looking at Finance and financial role placements so you should not have a hard time locating someone.

GMAT ToolKit User
Notre Dame vs Rochester vs William and Mary: Rank or OPT extension?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2019, 00:30
bb wrote:
stonecold wrote:

It almost always has a cost associated with it. However, I don't think it is as high as $40,000.

For Questrom, it costs an additional 15k.
For Notre Dame MBA is 56k and MBA+MSBA is 59k (the difference is just 3k)

I say the cost is well worth it if that means 3 years of work authorization instead of one.

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2019, 00:31
TheNightKing wrote:
stonecold wrote:

stonecold

Can you tell me more about this? I recently heard from a friend that an MBA degree does not qualify for STEM and something on those lines for getting OPT.

Do you have a link to a thread/article that I can refer to? I can obviously do my research but since you have mentioned here so thought to ask.

P.S: I am currently on H1B.

Thank you!

IT DOES!
Depends on the concentration and/or if you are getting a dual MBA+MS..

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2019, 22:04
Hi all.. an update to this is that I am now considering University of Maryland (Smith) instead of Rochester (Simon). Any suggestions between Notre Dame vs University of Maryland vs William & Mary?

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Notre Dame vs Rochester vs William and Mary: Rank or OPT extension?   [#permalink] 28 Dec 2019, 22:04

Notre Dame vs Rochester vs William and Mary: Rank or OPT extension?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste