GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 04 Aug 2020, 04:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

NYU Stern ($$$) or Cornell Johnson ($$) for Tech PM

new topic post reply Update application status  

Stern or Cornell?

• 90% [27]
  • 10% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
NYU Stern ($$$) or Cornell Johnson ($$) for Tech PM  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Dec 2019, 17:24
Hello,

I’m interested in pivoting into product management post-MBA, and I’m having a hard time deciding whether Johnson or Stern would be better for the full-time program. (Note - I am NOT considering either of the school's 1-year tech MBAs.)

How do you guys feel about the two schools for reputation and career placement? For example, NYU lacks the Ivy League branding of Cornell, but Stern is usually higher ranked and more well known than Johnson - I’m curious how that would play out. I’m assuming that Johnson might have a more engaged alumni base because it has that small school setting, but maybe the alumni are not as well-placed as Stern’s. I’ve also heard that students at top 20 schools are usually accepted at similar rates to top companies like Amazon and Google, e.g. it’s not like only HBS students will get those opportunities, the offers are spread out among the top 20 schools. In that case, would it actually be easier to get that prestigious first job at a smaller school like Johnson?

Let me know your thoughts!

Update: I have received $$$ at Stern and $$ at Johnson.

Originally posted by wingedvictory on 23 Nov 2019, 01:22.
Last edited by wingedvictory on 16 Dec 2019, 17:24, edited 4 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Re: NYU Stern ($$$) or Cornell Johnson ($$) for Tech PM  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2019, 17:42
Stern it is... Cornell is not known for its business school, I mean, just like you don’t go to Yale for MBA, you don’t go to Cornell for MBA either.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2019, 17:08
In terms of reputation - isn't Johnson actually ranked higher than Stern in the Bloomberg and Forbes business school lists? I've heard from some that Stern is on a downward trend while Johnson is on an upward trend.

Also, update: I received about 60k in merit scholarship at Stern and 40k at Johnson.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2019, 17:18
The most reliable rankings that are the most "normal" are the US News ones, so I would not get distracted with Forbes or others more exotic....

https://gmatclub.com/forum/mba-rankings ... 99812.html
Stern is currently ranked as #12 and it's 5-year rank average is 14
Johnson is ranked #15 and it's average is 15

What Johnson has going for it is Ivy League and new Tech MBA they launched. That gives them momentum though remains to be seen what that actually amounts to. Stern is in the New York City and has access to a great job market right there.

Tech PM roles will require quite a bit of networking and I am going to guess that both Stern and Johnson will give you similar access to recruiting opportunities and consideration when evaluated for roles. I would guess Stern's larger class size and being in the city provides more on-campus interactions, coffee chats, and recruiter interaction than being in Ithaca.

P.S. I would talk to the current Stern students and Johnson - I am sure both are very approachable about what opportunities exist. Both will probably try to play up what's happening but you can get a good sense about what jobs and internships are being considered. This is a good time since the holidays just started. Students should have plenty of time :_

Congratulations!

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2019, 14:44
Reputation and ranking is a function of the $s the school is spending on PR. Look at employment reports, rest is smoke and mirrors - like one of my MBA professors who worked at Unilever once told the class that processed cereals are not and were never healthy breakfast items - it was Kellogg that ran an ad campaign for people to believe in cereals being healthy.

One more ad campaign - Listerine, for instance, was invented in the nineteenth century as powerful surgical antiseptic. It was later sold, in distilled form, as both a floor cleaner and a cure for gonorrhea. But it wasn't a runaway success until the 1920s, when it was pitched as a solution for "chronic halitosis" — a then obscure medical term for bad breath.
These rankings and reputations are as good as you putting a floor cleaner or med for gonorrhea in your mouth for chronic halitosis.

So it depends on what scares you most, reputation/ranking or chronic halitosis or gonorrhea...

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.63

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 13:51
To add onto this, the 5 year ranking of Stern is actually much higher - they forgot to submit GMAT scores in 2017, and USN just backfilled a random number. The average without that year (#20) is 11.6, and then 10 year average is 10.8.

bb wrote:
The most reliable rankings that are the most "normal" are the US News ones, so I would not get distracted with Forbes or others more exotic....

https://gmatclub.com/forum/mba-rankings ... 99812.html
Stern is currently ranked as #12 and it's 5-year rank average is 14
Johnson is ranked #15 and it's average is 15

What Johnson has going for it is Ivy League and new Tech MBA they launched. That gives them momentum though remains to be seen what that actually amounts to. Stern is in the New York City and has access to a great job market right there.

Tech PM roles will require quite a bit of networking and I am going to guess that both Stern and Johnson will give you similar access to recruiting opportunities and consideration when evaluated for roles. I would guess Stern's larger class size and being in the city provides more on-campus interactions, coffee chats, and recruiter interaction than being in Ithaca.

P.S. I would talk to the current Stern students and Johnson - I am sure both are very approachable about what opportunities exist. Both will probably try to play up what's happening but you can get a good sense about what jobs and internships are being considered. This is a good time since the holidays just started. Students should have plenty of time :_

Congratulations!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 13:54
You are correct. That was a painful downgrade and then down to #19 or 20 or 21 (can’t remember which one it was). It is hard to recover from one of those too! It takes a toll on applications and reputation so kudos to Stern for recovering.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 14:05
Cornell definitely has a great engineering program. I know a lot of people at Google/Facebook from Cornell, but they’re all programmers...

I guess, the big Silicon Valley companies separate their programmers recruiting target schools from non programmers recruiting target schools

Alum
V
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2019, 22:43
Turning on a basic filter with Facebook, Google, Apple and Microsoft and Johnson School of Management on LinkedIn gave me 500+ results within my 1st, 2nd and 3rd-degree connections.

LOTS of tech companies recruit MBA grads from Johnson.

It's an extremely outdated point of view that people only look at target schools for tech.

Most tech companies DO NOT have target schools (the only one I know that does is Apple). Google and Facebook, for example, DO NOT care which MBA program you went to. Get a referral and have a great resume, and it is fair game! The reason why a good school still matters is a principle of self-fulfillment and an expansive network of alums.
NYU Stern ($$$) or Cornell Johnson ($$) for Tech PM   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2019, 22:43

NYU Stern ($$$) or Cornell Johnson ($$) for Tech PM

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate