Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1554 [171]
Given Kudos: 92
Schools:Chicago b.
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [49]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [47]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [7]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence with that of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
Ayrish wrote:
One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not so much in any specific skill but in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones.

(A) between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not so much in any specific skill but

(B) between our intelligence with that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill but instead

(C) between our intelligence and that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill as

(D) our intelligence has from that of other primates may lie not in any specific skill as

(E) of our intelligence to that of other primates may lay not in any specific skill but

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that one of the primary distinctions between our intelligence and that of other primates may lie more in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones than in any specific skill.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Idioms + Verb Forms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• “between A and B” is the correct idiomatic construction; A and B must be comparable and parallel.
• Transitive verbs always require a direct object to act upon, and intransitive verbs do not.
• “not so much A as B” is a correct idiomatic usage; A and B must be comparable and parallel.
• "distinction between", "distinction...from", and "distinction...in" are the correct, idiomatic constructions".

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "between A ("our intelligence") with B ("that of other primates")"; “between A and B” is the correct idiomatic construction; A and B must be comparable and parallel. Further, Option A incorrectly uses the transitive verb "lay" without a direct object for it to act upon; remember, transitive verbs always require a direct object to act upon, and intransitive verbs do not.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "between A ("our intelligence") with B ("that of other primates")"; “between A and B” is the correct idiomatic construction; A and B must be comparable and parallel. Further, Option B uses the redundant phrase "but instead", rendering it awkward and needlessly wordy; this phrase is redundant, as "but" and "instead" both convey the same information.

C: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the idiomatic construction "not so much A ("in any specific skill") as B ("in our ability...ones")", conveying the intended meaning - that one of the primary distinctions between our intelligence and that of other primates may lie more in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones than in any specific skill. Further, Option C correctly uses the intransitive verb "lie" in the absence of a direct object. Additionally, Option C correctly uses the idiomatic constructions "distinction between" and "between A ("our intelligence") and B ("that of other primates")". Besides, Option C is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "not A ("in any specific skill") as B ("in our ability...ones")", leading to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that one of the primary distinctions between our intelligence and that of other primates may lie more in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones than in any specific skill; remember, “not so much A as B” is a correct idiomatic usage; A and B must be comparable and parallel.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "not in any specific skill but"; the use of the idiomatic construction “not A but B” incorrectly implies that one of the primary distinctions between our intelligence and that of other primates may lie entirely in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones rather than in any specific skill; the intended meaning is that one of the primary distinctions between our intelligence and that of other primates may lie more in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones than in any specific skill. Further, Option E incorrectly uses the transitive verb "lay" without a direct object for it to act upon; remember, transitive verbs always require a direct object to act upon, and intransitive verbs do not. Additionally, Option E incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "distinction...to"; please remember, "distinction between", "distinction...from", and "distinction...in" are the correct, idiomatic constructions".

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Cambridge
Send PM
Re: One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence with that of [#permalink]
Kudos
Ayrish wrote:
Hi friends
I have very interesting question

One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not so much in any specific skill but in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones.

A. between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not so much in any specific skill but
B. between our intelligence with that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill but instead
C. between our intelligence and that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill as
D. our intelligence has from that of other primates may lie not in any specific skill as
E. of our intelligence to that of other primates may lay not in any specific skill but

The question is the following:
between C and D I chose D for:
1) d is more concise
2) what is "so much" in C for? I think it is redundant and useless.
3) D like C doesn't have idiom usage problem

However, OA is C. so I hope you can correct me, if I am wrong.

Thanx

IMO C is the right answer.
1) Distinction should be followed by between (in most of the cases) when trying to compare two object(things). So, 'distinctions between' is correct usage, and it should be kept when trying to figure out the correct answer.
2) usage of ' so much' imparts correct sense to the sentence as it is playing down the effect of 'specific skill' as intended by the author.
3) I can't see any idiom usage problem in C. distinction between X and Y is correct usage.

In fact contrary to what you say, I find D wordy and awkward and would never go for it in the real thing.
Anyway, hope it helps.
cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [7]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.61
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
KevinBrink wrote:
I understand the sentence completely except for one very important thing, i.e. for me as Dutch person it is very hard to understand why it is as instead of but ending the underlined portion. I understand the idiom usage, the reason why we use lie instead of lay (I know this removes E). But I cannot cope with as..... Can somebody please explain. Thanks in advance

Hi Brink,

This sentence aims to describe what is the main distinction between human and primate intelligence. Author says that it is not any particular skill, as usually believed (by say some other scientists) but humans' ability extend knowledge.
As shows comparison. It is akin to saying: Distinction lies not so much in A, as in B.
Hence the use of 'as' is correct here.

One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence and that of other primates may lie not [so much] in any specific skill [as] in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones.

In the original sentence, but implies a contrast:
One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not [so much] in any specific skill [but] in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones.

C says : Distinction lies not so much in A, but in B
Here but also fails to connect the part after it with part before it. Part after but, might as well be a separate thought with nothing to do with the degree of distinction in specific skill.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
WZP wrote:
Could anybody make a further explanation please :

1)Are there any differences in meaning between may not in ... but in... and may not in ... as in ...?
2) how does answer D change the orginal intended meaning?

Thanks for you help~

Your query 1:
When one discusses the difference in meaning between P and Q, one assumes that P and Q are both grammatically correct. However, not X as Y is grammatically wrong. The question of difference in meaning does not arise whatsoever. Not X, but Y is the correct idiom.
A simplified example may make the issue clear:
My favourite colour is not green, but blue.
My favourite colour is not green, as blue. ... the usage of "as" makes the sentence ungrammatical.

Your query2:
The issue of meaning does not arise since option D is wrong idiomatically as stated above.

Note that in option C, the idiom is not "not X, but Y". The idiom in option C is "so X, as Y", which is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38815 [4]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
NaeemHasan wrote:
Hi everyone,
Can I say that as is required to for the so much.......as construction?
And based on this can we eliminate answers?

According to mikemcgarry ,For idiomatic error as addressed below , you can eliminate Answer Choice( A ) and ( B)

Correct idiom: not so much A as B. It demonstrates a difference in degree: whatever is being asserted, A is true or relevant, but it is less true or less relevant, and B is more so by comparison. This is used for nouns primarily for nouns, noun-like phrase (infinitives & gerunds), prepositional phrase or participial phrases.

Incorrect Idioms : “not so much A but B” , “not so much A instead B".

The detail explanation presented here at magoosh blog
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [1]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
amitdey111 wrote:
C contains the correct idiom. Can someone throw some light on lay vs lie?

Hello amitdey111 - This is what I can think of:

to lie means “to rest,”

to lay means “to put or place.”

To lie is an intransitive verb: it describes an action undertaken by the subject, but it will never have a direct object.

To lay is a transitive verb: it needs a direct object because it describes the kind of action that is done to something.

Now coming back to our option choices:

"between our intelligence and that of other primates may" - Try substituting "lay" - which means "to put" - This is non-sensical. Hence, the usage of "lie" is correct here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: Sloan '19
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
A-B "between ... with"
C - "between... and" --> this is the one we like :)

d-e don't do a good job creating the comparison...

Ayrish wrote:

(A) between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not so much in any specific skill but

(B) between our intelligence with that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill but instead

(C) between our intelligence and that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill as

(D) our intelligence has from that of other primates may lie not in any specific skill as

(E) of our intelligence to that of other primates may lay not in any specific skill but

1) d is more concise

Thanx
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14672 [6]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one issue at a time, and narrow it down to the correct answer quickly! To start, here is the original question with any major differences between the options highlighted in orange:

After taking a quick look over the options, here are some things we can focus on to narrow down our choices:

1. between / our intelligence has / of our intelligence (Wordiness/Meaning)
2. with / and / from / to (Idioms/Meaning)
3. lay / lie (Word Usage/Meaning)
4. but / but instead / as (Word Usage/Idioms)

#3 on our list (lay vs. lie) will eliminate 2-3 options right away, so let's start there. Lay and lie are tricky to remember, even for native English speakers, so here is a refresher:

Lay = to put down or place an object (I will lay my book down on the desk.)
Lie = to rest or recline (I will lie in bed until I feel better.)

When in doubt, replace the word "lay" or "lie" with it's intended meaning. If it works, you're using the right word. If it doesn't, then you'll need to change it. Here is how it would work in this sentence:

Lay = One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence with that of other primates may put not so much in any specific skill but in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones.

Lie = One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence with that of other primates may rest not so much in any specific skill but in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones.

We can eliminate options A & E because they use the word "lay" instead of "lie."

Next, let's focus on #1 and #2 on our list because they sort of go together. We need to make sure we're using idioms correctly and using concise language whenever possible.

This is INCORRECT because the idiom "between X from Y" is wrong. It should be "between X and Y."

This is CORRECT! It uses the correct idiom structure "between X and Y."

This is INCORRECT because it uses an incorrect idiom! The appropriate idiom structure here would be either "distinction between X and Y" or "distinction of X from Y." This sentence uses "distinction X has from Y," which is wrong.

There you have it - option C is the correct choice! It uses "lie" instead of "lay" and uses proper idiom structures!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
GMATNinja

Please, is there any way around idioms to eliminate E?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [5]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sweetlyimproved wrote:
GMATNinja

Please, is there any way around idioms to eliminate E?

Sure!

Take another look at (E):

"One of the primary distinctions of our intelligence to that of other primates may lay not in any specific skill but..."

If I write "may lay," the word verb "lay," in this context means "to set down," and should take an object. For example,

"Tim may lay the matches down on a shelf, but that won't stop his three-year-old from dragging over a stool, retrieving them, and exacting revenge for all the times Tim denied him a brownie."

In this example there's a noun, "the matches," that Tim is setting down.

In (E), because there's no object to lay down, the way Tim is putting down matches, the appropriate form of the verb is "may lie," meaning "to be" or "to exist." Because the usage of "lay" is incorrect, we know that (E) is wrong.

Is that a common enough issue to bother memorizing? Nope. But if you happen to know the rule, you don't have to evaluate the idiom.

That said, while there's no reason to memorize idioms, you can sometimes reason your way through them. If we're making a distinction, there have to be multiple elements we're contrasting, right? And there can be a difference between two elements, but it would be odd to talk about a difference of two elements.

Similarly, the phrase, "primary distinctions of our intelligence," doesn't make any sense, as it sounds as though the distinctions are a quality of the intelligence. If you read the option several times, can you eventually puzzle out what the author means? I guess so. But if we see the phrase, "distinctions between x and y," it's crystal clear that there are two items to compare, so this construction is better.

Put another way, if you see an unfamiliar idiom, you can either look for another issue altogether or try to use logic to figure out which idiom is best, instead of relying on something you've memorized. There are about 25,000 idioms in English, so memorization isn't usually the best strategy.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Ayrish wrote:

1) d is more concise

Thanx

(A) between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not so much in any specific skill but - Wrong: 1) Verb 2) 2 Idioms

(B) between our intelligence with that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill but instead - Wrong: 1) 2 Idioms

(C) between our intelligence and that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill as - Correct

(D) our intelligence has from that of other primates may lie not in any specific skill as - Wrong: 1) Idiom

(E) of our intelligence to that of other primates may lay not in any specific skill but - Wrong: 1) Verb
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 4
Send PM
Ayrish wrote:

1) d is more concise

Thanx

I think the only thing to consider is to choose a correct idiom structure that is between X and Y , rather than between x with y .
C is a clear winner there on that front .
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
[quote="Ayrish"]One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not so much in any specific skill but in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones.

This question is based on Idiomatic Usage.

There are two Idioms in this sentence: between-and, not so much-as

However, in Options A and B, the preposition ‘with’ follows the preposition ‘between’ and the conjunction ‘but’ follows the phrase ‘not so much’.
Option A also has the incorrect verb ‘lay’. ‘Lay’ is the past form of ‘lie’ and the past form of the verb cannot be used after the modal auxiliary verb ‘may’.

The other meaning of the verb ‘lay’ is to put something down carefully; this meaning does not suit the sentence.
So, Options A and B can be ruled out.

Option D also has the incorrect idiom. The structure of the latter part of the option is also idiomatically incorrect. The correct idiomatic pair is not-but; however, the option has the pair not-as. So, Option D can be ruled out.

Option E contains the same error of word usage as Option B. E also contains an idiomatic error; the word ‘distinctions’ cannot be followed by the preposition ‘to’. So, Option E can also be ruled out.

Option C contains the correct idiomatic and word usage. Therefore, C is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Send PM
daagh wrote:
A. between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not so much in any specific skill but
B. between our intelligence with that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill but instead
C. between our intelligence and that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill as
D. our intelligence has from that of other primates may lie not in any specific skill as
E. of our intelligence to that of other primates may lay not in any specific skill but

1. First of all, let’s remove the two wrong choices namely A and E for using ‘lay’ instead of ‘lie’.
2. Remove B for using the wrong idiom of ‘between’ and ‘with’
3. Keep C for using the correct idiom ‘not so much in as in’
4. D: changes the intended meaning. Any specific skill as means that the difference may not lie in our ability to extend knowledge gained … The intended meaning is the opposite of what D implies. This is because of the dropping of the idiom ‘so much in’.

C therefore, is the best.

Hi daagh

I understand that using "lay" instead of "lie" is awkward and doesn't make much sense but is there any grammatical reason for eliminating it?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Vivek1707 wrote:
daagh wrote:

1. First of all, let’s remove the two wrong choices namely A and E for using ‘lay’ instead of ‘lie’.
2. Remove B for using the wrong idiom of ‘between’ and ‘with’
3. Keep C for using the correct idiom ‘not so much in as in’
4. D: changes the intended meaning. Any specific skill as means that the difference may not lie in our ability to extend knowledge gained … The intended meaning is the opposite of what D implies. This is because of the dropping of the idiom ‘so much in’.

C therefore, is the best.

Hi daagh

I understand that using "lay" instead of "lie" is awkward and doesn't make much sense but is there any grammatical reason for eliminating it?

Hey Vivek1707, Lay and Lie have different meanings and that is indeed that grammatical reason for eliminating it. The meaning of Lay is to put down and like you've already mentioned, that makes no sense here!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence and that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill but in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones.
Is it preferable to choose

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
@gmatninja can you help here without an explanation talking about idioms?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts