It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 14:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white sha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 22

Re: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white sha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 12:12
mikemcgarry wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Experts,

Can anyone comment on how correct option works? What kind of construction is this?

Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—less than those killed by bee stings.

B. movies—fewer than have been

Thanks
H

Dear imhimanshu,
I am replying to your pm, and I'm happy to give my 2 cents on this question.

I have looked at various websites, and I am astounded how the web seems almost equally divided between people who insist the OA is (B) and people who insist the OA is (E). If this indeed a GMAT Prep, then either GMAT Prep itself showed inconsistencies, or tons of people mistakenly cite a wrong answer as the OA. Something is very fishy here.

I really liked what pqhai had to say about the dash --- a more emphatic break than a comma or semicolon. It can indicate an unexpected shift in the flow of the sentence.
Ted Williams was a Hall-of-Fame baseball player --- and a champion fisherman.
It can also be used for an appositive phrase or other noun modifier, especially if the modifier is long.
Americans consider Washington the "Father of the Country" --- a title that indicates how much he is endeared to Americans.

In the (B) version of the sentence,
Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—fewer than have been killed by bee stings.
the dash serves to show an unexpected shift in the logic --- folks are deathly afraid of sharks, and the movies (such as "Jaws") have made notorious death by sharks. The unexpected irony is that little old bees have killed more people than gigantic sharks. The dash indicates this unexpected shift. Notice the good verb parallelism ---- "have been killed by X ... have been killed by Y". What pqhai says about this choice doesn't make sense to me --- it's verb parallelism --- what follows the dash is not a modifier.

Here, I would say both (B) & (E) are correct, grammatically and stylistically. We are dealing with the number of something, i.e. something countable, so we absolutely need the word "fewer" instead of "less." Choices (A) & (C) make the countable/uncountable mistake, so they are plain wrong, and (D) is an awkward wordy disaster. Choice (B) make be a tad shorter and more elegant than (E), but it's not really characteristic of the GMAT to have two answers, both of which are essentially correct: they are usually very good about making one clearly right answer and making something clearly flawed about each of the other four answers. Something is very fishy with this question.

Mike :-)

My problem with (E) is the comma following movies. The emdash is basically a get out of jail free card in grammar and can add a point in parenthesis to a statement and is diverse. A comma does not have this ability and can easily lead to a splice. So when you use a comma we have a modifier error. The man eater of the movies is an appositive phrase. So now the comma is modifying the appositive phrase which is the man eater of the movies and is hence illogical.

Therefore B is correct.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 234

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white sha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2017, 07:05
mikemcgarry wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Experts,

Can anyone comment on how correct option works? What kind of construction is this?

Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—less than those killed by bee stings.

Thanks
H

Dear imhimanshu,

I have looked at various websites, and I am astounded how the web seems almost equally divided between people who insist the OA is (B) and people who insist the OA is (E). If this indeed a GMAT Prep, then either GMAT Prep itself showed inconsistencies, or tons of people mistakenly cite a wrong answer as the OA. Something is very fishy here.

I really liked what pqhai had to say about the dash --- a more emphatic break than a comma or semicolon. It can indicate an unexpected shift in the flow of the sentence.
It can also be used for an appositive phrase or other noun modifier, especially if the modifier is long.
Americans consider Washington the "Father of the Country" --- a title that indicates how much he is endeared to Americans.

Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—fewer than have been killed by bee stings.
the dash serves to show an unexpected shift in the logic --- folks are deathly afraid of sharks, and the movies (such as "Jaws") have made notorious death by sharks. The unexpected irony is that little old bees have killed more people than gigantic sharks. The dash indicates this unexpected shift. Notice the good verb parallelism ---- "have been killed by X ... have been killed by Y". What pqhai says about this choice doesn't make sense to me --- it's verb parallelism --- what follows the dash is not a modifier.

Here, I would say both (B) & (E) are correct, grammatically and stylistically. We are dealing with the number of something, i.e. something countable, so we absolutely need the word "fewer" instead of "less." Choices (A) & (C) make the countable/uncountable mistake, so they are plain wrong, and (D) is an awkward wordy disaster. Choice (B) make be a tad shorter and more elegant than (E), but it's not really characteristic of the GMAT to have two answers, both of which are essentially correct: they are usually very good about making one clearly right answer and making something clearly flawed about each of the other four answers. Something is very fishy with this question.

'

I felt we dont have proper antecedent for "the ones" in option E . Please explain/

Find what you love and let it kill you. — Charles Bukowski

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 234

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2032 [0], given: 462

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 13:04
sumanainampudi wrote:
I felt we dont have proper antecedent for "the ones" in option E . Please explain/

Please see the explanation of this above: https://gmatclub.com/forum/only-seven-p ... l#p1854187

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2032 [0], given: 462

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 10:31
mikemcgarry wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Experts,

Thanks
H

Dear imhimanshu,

Attachments

File comment: PFA the answer screen of GMAT prep - OA is B

I still don't understand the usage of dash, can anoone please help me out

IMG_20170926_151513.jpg
IMG_20170926_151513.jpg [ 6.47 MiB | Viewed 814 times ]

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 408

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 20:25
700slave wrote:

A. movies—less than those
C. movies, which is less than those
D. movies, a number lower than the people
E. movies, fewer than the ones

[Reveal] Spoiler:
My 2 issues here are: #1) what is the rule surrounding usage of "dashes"? and #2) what is the rule for usage of "lower"...is it a count or non-count word?

thx.

in the official answer B, "fewer than..." modify what? modifying whole sentence or "seven people...". it modified a clause or a noun?

pls,help explain more .

thanks.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 22:56
mikemcgarry wrote:
victory47 wrote:
jj32 wrote:

A. movies—less than those
C. movies, which is less than those
D. movies, a number lower than the people
E. movies, fewer than the ones

I have studied this question many times.
two points I want to say.
first, "fewer than have been.." in B is adverbial, something that work as adverb to modify the preceding clause. this phrase is not adjective because if it is adjective, we can attach this phrase to "seven people"

only seven people, fewer than have been killed by bee sting, have been killed

this make no sense when the phrase is close the the noun modified.

second point is that " fewer than have been..." has no second element of comparison. this second element is implied. this point is hard for us because in most of the case, both element of comparison are present in the case.

those are two hard points we have to learn from this question.

Dear victory47,

My friend, if you don't mind, I'd like to comment on your analysis. :-)

A clause beginning with "than" is always a adverbial clause. The word "than" is typically preceded be a comparative word, in this case, "fewer." The target of the modifying clause is the action of the independent clause. This action, "Only seven people . . . have been killed by the great white shark. . . " is clear: that's the first element of the comparison. What follows the word "than" is the second element of the comparison.

Does all this make sense?

thank you Mike
why "fewer than..." can not modify "only seven people..." I think the following is correct.

seven persons, fewer than the number of person in my gmat class, have been killed by sharks.

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9426 [0], given: 348

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 01:51
thangvietnam wrote:
thank you Mike
why "fewer than..." can not modify "only seven people..." I think the following is correct.

seven persons, fewer than the number of person in my gmat class, have been killed by sharks.

Hello thangvietnam,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

Yes, the phrase fewer than have been killed... refers back to seven people to show that the number of people killed by the shark is fewer than those killed by bee stings.

The structure after than maintains perfect parallelism between the actions presents as part of the comparison.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9426 [0], given: 348

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 74

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 01:53
mikemcgarry wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Experts,

Thanks
H

Dear imhimanshu,

Dear Mike

in "B" we don't need to THOSE to show the comparison?? —fewer than(THOSE) have been killed?
in all of gmat question it is emphasised!

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8942 [0], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 13:29
soodia wrote:
Dear Mike

in "B" we don't need to THOSE to show the comparison?? —fewer than(THOSE) have been killed?

Dear soodia,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, this is an issue that can be particularly perplexing for non-native speakers. When there are words that are the same or similar in both branches of the parallelism, we can omit the words in the second branch rather than repeating it. See:
Dropping Common Words in Parallel on the GMAT
This is a feature of elegant sophisticated writing, and it does appear frequently on the GMAT.

Please let me know if you have any questions about what I wrote in that blog article.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8942 [0], given: 111

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 18:38
mikemcgarry wrote:
soodia wrote:
Dear Mike

Dear soodia,

My friend, this is an issue that can be particularly perplexing for non-native speakers. When there are words that are the same or similar in both branches of the parallelism, we can omit the words in the second branch rather than repeating it. See:
This is a feature of elegant sophisticated writing, and it does appear frequently on the GMAT.

Please let me know if you have any questions about what I wrote in that blog article.

The link was amazing.... :-) :-) :-)
thank you for such a great help :-)

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 22:10
mikemcgarry wrote:
soodia wrote:
Dear Mike

Dear soodia,

Dear Mike

I've read the article and I thought I learned it very well!
but apparently, it doesn't
you wrote we can omit similar part which doesn't need to repeat
could you see this question, please?

https://gmatclub.com/forum/advances-in- ... 03920.html

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 56

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2017, 01:54
Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies???less than those killed by bee stings.

(A) movies???less than those

(B) movies???fewer than have been

(C) movies, which is less than those

(D) movies, a number lower than the people

(E) movies, fewer than the ones

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 56

Re: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white sha   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2017, 01:54

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 52 posts ] 

Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white sha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap