GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Mar 2019, 06:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white sha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
G
Re: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white sha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 02:58
[quote="700slave"]Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—less than those killed by bee stings.

(A) movies—less than those

(B) movies—fewer than have been

(C) movies, which is less than those

(D) movies, a number lower than the people

(E) movies, fewer than the ones

terribly dificult question. I studied and restudied it many times.

look at choice A
less than those. to be logic , this phrase must refer to "seven person' and, the sentence is " seven persons is less than those (persons). this sentence is incorrect. a number can not compare with person. the same case applies to choice E, D and C.

we can not compare persons with persons this way. we have to compare a number to another number.

how to make a comparison in this context. a number should be compared to a number if you want it to be logic.
look at choice B. we do not have number X compared to number Y. how choice B can be correct? and we do not see nay error in choice B. this is reason for which choice B is hard to be accepted.

I think number X and number Y in the comparison are understood but not writen out. this case of grammar is terribly diffucult. no grammar books explain this point . I can not make a sentence like this if we do not understand this structure.

seven persons are killed, that number smaller than the number of persons who have been killed by bee sting.

this sentence makes us good.
choice B has not "that number" and "the number of person who have been killed by bee sting". but choice B is clear, concise and logic. a sentence is used to convey ideas. if the sentence can do this job, it must be correct however strange it can be.

"that number" and "the number of persons who have been killed by bee sting" are cut off in choice B to make a concise version. those phrases are implied . this is the grammar point we have to learn from official answer.

this is SPECIAL ELLIPSIS, for which we have to be ready in the test room.

it is lucky that 4 other choices are illogic cleary and we can keep the answer choice which have not reason to be eliminated.

that is all I can have about this problem.
Manager
Manager
Re: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white sha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2019, 02:09
The answer should keep the dash. The dash is stronger than the comma and cannot be used to replace it.

Out of the remaining two, B is the ‘fewer than have been killed’ maintains parallelism with ‘have been killed’.

B is the right answer.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white sha   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2019, 02:09

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 42 posts ] 

Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white sha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap